Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [fartlekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Fartlekker - are you sure you have your body fat % right? What are you using to measure it? I'm 5'8" and 168 (working my way *slowly* down to 150 - 155, I hope). I just had my body fat measured 4 weeks ago with calipers from a respectable fitness testing place. I measured at 30%. You're 30 lbs less than I am, so I can't believe we're at the same body fat %. If you're using a tanita scale or something like that, you might want to get it tested with calipers. Not that it's a big deal, but I like having something other than pure weight to see my progress.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I measured at 30%. You're 30 lbs less than I am, so I can't believe we're at the same body fat %. If you're using a tanita scale or something like that, you might want to get it tested with calipers. Not that it's a big deal, but I like having something other than pure weight to see my progress. "

Yeah, I'm using one of the scales, which I know isn't extrememly accurate (though it is precise - I'm always between 29 and 31), but I use it more for comparison than for an accurate number. I suspect that there may be a problem with the equation it's using since the electricity travels mainly in your lower body and that is by far where all my fat is stored. I know that selecting that I am a female on the scale takes some of that into account, but probably not enough, in my case.

Regardless, I might be closer to 25% than I think, but nowhere near single digits. :) I'm glad to see I'm not the only 30% out here, though..
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [fartlekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say I was so glad when I read your post. I was starting to hyperventilate after seeing so many 7 and 8% body fat on the guys!! :) Actually it's great to see so many different body types in tri. I'm female, relatively slow and definitely have a few lbs to lose, but I'm not treated any differently than the next racer (as long as I stay to the right on the bike course!! :) ). Of course there are exceptions to this, but generally it's true and makes me love tris even more. Thanks for posting everyone.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Brian from WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Brian, that's impressive. Congrats on that amazing weight loss. Good lord, those numbers blow my mind...
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pooks.

Just followed a nice healthy diet and started working out. You'd be amazed if you just followed the advice you were told as a kid:

1 - Eat your veggies first
2 - Don't eat all the tortilla chips (out at Mexican restaurants)
3 - Don't eat that you'll spoil your dinner
4 - Have some carrots or some water and if you are still hungry you can have some ice cream (late night snacking)
5 - Take your vitamins
6 - Get outside and play/run/skip/hop/jump/ride/swim - damn near anything

But the main goal is to just put one foot in front of the other and keep doing that and it'll get easier and easier and faster and faster and voila - you are a Triathlete :)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMI 30 new years day now 28 last year races at 28 this year I hope to be at 25/26 at the end of June.

five six 172 35 year old male
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? Can you get shorter ?;-). I'm 6 foot 7 and probably around 220. I have had a great season as a Clydesdale but now I want to loose weight as I step up to Iron Man distance races.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 11.5.... Have raced Sprint to HIM weighing from 178 to 191.... Have had my best results by far being on the heavier side of that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about 6'8", 198 or so. Could def losse 10 pounds but ill leave that for the winter ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
I am 5'10 or so, and I weigh ~151 lbs. I raced IMFLA at ~145 lbs. For the record, I was not competitive.

Ditto, except insert "IMAZ" for "IMFLA" for me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'11 and morning race weight an hour before start in Kona:

2011- 163
2012- 171
2013- 164

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [mcrae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcrae wrote:
Why? Can you get shorter ?;-). I'm 6 foot 7 and probably around 220. I have had a great season as a Clydesdale but now I want to loose weight as I step up to Iron Man distance races.

Have you been wondering this for the past decade?

It would be fun for him to chime in and give us an update on the past 10 years with the struggles of being tall.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [mcrae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcrae wrote:
. I wonder if you realize that you responded to a thread/post that is over 10 YEARS OLD! I find ghost threads fascinating....

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
mcrae wrote:

It would be fun for him to chime in and give us an update on the past 10 years with the struggles of being tall.
. Methinks we were typing at the same time ;-)

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has probably gotten shorter by now ;-).

Thanks for the catch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimanjay wrote:
Just curious about this one, but what is the "typical" height/weight (i.e. think BMI) of a triathlete?

Fat and short.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [....] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... wrote:
shit! I am the shortest...

5'7'', 135lbs...will be racing midget this season :-)

Awww yeah short people!! Although I've got you by half an inch ;)

I'll throw my info into the mix,
5'10 (probably a bit under)
128 lb

I am considered quite skinny. My weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day and particularly from season to season. Over the course of the year probably range from 125-132lb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2 178
Wife 5'9 119
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'10 161 this morning.

Trying to hit mid 150s. Need to get in for another bodpod session to get exact fat %, last time I did it I was 180lbs. Looks like I am pretty average amongst triathletes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot of tall guys in Tri I guess. 5'6 140 offseason and 135-138 in season. Was 125 in high school and gained a bunch of mass in my legs and back from cycling and weights. Usually kick around 5-8% body fat.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'7 at 128lbs...but then again I'm still 17....
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'10" 155

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Hee hee.

26 yo F, 5'6" , 125 lbs

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next