Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [ejs in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I thought I was the only one to have busted the deuce.

5'10ish ~220

lemme tell ya, nothin's better than a good downhill. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Offseason: 6'1", 200 lbs

Late season: 185-190 lbs

My diet sucks (or is great, depending on your point of view) during the offseason: I'm not afraid of the occasional In 'n Out Double Double, nor the box of Milk Duds while taking in a movie.

The weight is definitely a liability during high-volume run periods, and I end up with foot/knee/hip issues. For those reasons, I'm seriously considering hanging up the flats and becoming a dedicated time trialist.

Quote | Reply
I may be the only girl responding, but I'm 5'7" -ish and 139 lb. 30% bf. But geez... all you single digit guys are making me feel huge!!! I'm hoping to get bf *all the way down* to 25% eventually.. And I really think it'll be about impossible. But I've only been at this tri thing for 2 years now...
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'8" - 137lbs lean and fit. 33 inch inseam... lightly built, lost virtually all my upper body from my windsurfing days and moved the muscle to the legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'11", 180lbs...just like when I played college football 25 years ago. Quit lifting weights so I could drop down from the upper 180's a couple of years ago when I started doing triathlons...it was obvious that the muscle I had was worse than useless in a triathlon....I might just as well have had a backpack with extra weight in it. BF about 8% year-round...there is NO off season with nutrition, especially as the years pile up. I'll race as low as the high 170's, but, I don't see myself getting much lighter...so, I'm probably suited more for the shorter courses. It doesn't keep me off of the long courses, but, it's not my ideal spot...actually, my ideal is bike road racing with a sprint finish. I'm working on this aerobic athlete thing, though, and am coming along nicely for an middle aged fellow.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got ya beat Hoop.

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. aiming for 201 (gotta keep that Clyde rating)

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Scott in PDX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great googly-moogly, Scott!! 6'6", 185?? Eat a sandwich!

I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. Francois, I'll do my best to not step on you in the expo. Thankfully you're much faster than I, so it won't be an issue on the course...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'-5" I'm one of the shortest, but I think I may need to lose a bit off my 147lb frame. Not bad however...this time last year I was 170lb.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm right with Francois at 5'7", about 138 lbs. Lowest weight for me in roughly 7 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just a shade short of 6' tall. 165 lbs right now, aiming for closer to 160 by peak season. can't seem to lose that last little pouch on my lower belly so my abs look nice though :) too bad tri season and beer-drinking season are at the same time!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2" and 68 kg (150lbs I guess). Though I don't swim and I can't run decently. Lucky me I'm only a cyclist =)

I should add some muscle mass in my legs. I'm too big to be a climber and still don't have all the power I could have in the flats.

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [wickert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 feet tall and 173 lbs right now. I hope to be in the 166-168 range by racing season. I was up to 189 on Feb. 1 after a winter with a calf injury kept me from running and was 170 when I did my first ironman in 1999. I figure dropping a little below 170 will be good for my psychological advantage. I'm still way bigger as a triathlete than when I used to race cross-country and track in university (was around 155-158 back then).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 32, a male, 5'11" and 165lbs right now, shooting for 155 over the next few months . . . look at my progression over the years

In High School I wrestled at 138 (old weight classification)

College 148-152 while running 14:XX's and 30:XX's for the 5/10K's

Post College - stress fractures from running too much caused, up to around 180 or so.

Grad school - this is where I picked up multisport, got back down to 155 and was winning some du's. Starting trying to run 80-90 miles a week again and another stress fracture in hip. I managed to reach 220 lbs this time.

Last June - made decision to make a real effort to reach my multisport goals, so I've went from 220 to 165 currently. Some of my friends who don't work out and such think I'm sick or something after watching me lose 55 pounds over the last year. I think they really worry when I tell them I still have 10lbs to go . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 5 8 and 165. I would like to lose 10 in for the GFT this year.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Goddammit I'm one fat SOB... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admittedly, I've packed it on during this last year spent at school - but still! Currently I'm clocking 5'6, 172ish. Before school I was 154 - but I'd never been that light since early highschool.

Look for the guy racing in full-on rain gear this year. :(

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm - looks like I'm one of those who thinks Clydesdale classification should be based on height/weight ratio....

5' 5.5" / currently 162 lbs (but down from 186 in 10/2001)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [smlorkis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1" and 195 @ 7% BF. And to think, I used to be considered a small heavyweight rower, now I feel like Gulliver in Liliput. I'm a hot fudge sunday away from 200 and if I slack off for a week or 2 , I'll be 205-210 easily.

It seems to me that for the OD and sprints, good clydesdales can be competitive right up until the run. Ian Thorpe isn't exactly small, and he seems to swim pretty damn fast. On the bike...we're not exactly climbing the alps, so again, size shouldn't play a huge role. The run, however, I feel like somebody is beating me up once I get over the 7 mile mark. Is this a fair assessment??
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a shade short of 6' tall. 165 lbs right now, aiming for closer to 160 by peak season

----------------------------------------

We're twins!! Assuming you are losing your hair, vision, and short term memory at a rapid rate. Send me our old clothes if you lose the gut, they'll fit me perfectly.

After a lifetime of playing basketball and baseball, I was amazed to show up at my first tri 3 years ago and be one of the Big Guys. It was less thrilling when I got my ass kicked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 2", 163lb currently, need to get to 158 for race weight. Never done an IM, but when ultramarathon racing, 155lb was as light as I could get. Below that, weakness and injury always followed.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [fartlekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fartlekker, I won't let you be the only girl! I'm also 5'7", but about 15 lbs heavier, although with a bit lower bodyfat. The guys are supposed to be single-digits; we can't function properly if we even get close to single digits BF. I'm also 46 and it's getting harder every year to fight my genetics, which say I should be pretty round by now. My husband says he prefers me fit with curves than skinny but not healthy, so I'm lucky. But props to you for doing multisport and getting fit! It's more important how you feel than to try to look like someone ywe're not genetically programmed to look like anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to show how different body types can be, I'm also 5'7" and weigh probably a good small child more than Fartlekker, though about the same body fat percentage (maybe a tad bit more). At zero percent bf, I'd still weigh around 135-140 pounds. Too much fat at present, but yeah, lots of muscle. Not so good for running or climbing hills on the bike, but comes in very handy for sparring (which I also do.)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brettc,

Losing 19lbs is tough, what's your current BF%? I hover around 4-5% depending on how many carbs I ate in the last week, but I have zero room to lose. I'm going to start racing Clydes again this year, until the 165lbs guys start wearing 30lb backpacks ;)

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more of a road cyclist than a triathlete, but anyway.. 5'11", 197 lbs, 7% bf. Thank you mesomorph genetics and years of bodybuilding prior to endurance sports. I have a lot of power on the flats and a decent sprint, but the reality of physics hits me like a truck on the sustained climbs. Still its kind of fun to standout somewhat amongst the other Cat 1/2/3's (read: skinny guys). I wish we had a cycling track in my area but oh well.

After years of futility trying to shed upper body mass, I said screw it and decided to just use what I've got, even doing upper body weights twice a week. Consequently, I'm having my best racing season to date. I've heard that upper body mass isn't purely dead weight, in that it (and any latent musculature) helps process lactic acid. Heh maybe there is something to that.. =)
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never measured the BF - I've got enough problems already ;) without worrying about things like that. But as I sit here at my desk and gently pinch the excess in my waistline - I see that there is about 1.25" of handle there. Yup, looks like about 5% to me. Hehe.

This genetics thing is killing me man. I do a minimum of 3 core workouts a week and I still can't get the waistline to behave. Maybe a diet of 60% carb is a little too much.

put the mettle to the pedal
Last edited by: brettc: Apr 28, 03 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just about 6'0" and I've gone from 293lbs 17 months ago to a slimmed down ~185lbs at this point and am looking at peaking around 170-172 in time for my build up races during July & September and finally 168 or so for my 1/2 Ironman in late September.

I'm also hoping to sustain right around 170 when I pick up club cycling after the season. I want to join a local team or at least work out with one during the winter season to really put some miles into the legs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next