Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [zeusrock1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zeusrock1 wrote:
Was trying to figure out how much I'm overweight, compared to the rest of you skinny people, and continue to find motivation to diet this winter I made this chart. Went through the thread and recorded 135 results in a spreadsheet. Didn't account for gender, or preferred sport, just went through and wrote down what height/weight people were. Interesting to look at : )

That chart rocks, thanks for taking the time to prepare it.

As I'm about to do my second 140.6, I'm:
  • 41 years old
  • male
  • 5'10"
  • 141 lbs. [Edit: dropped to 139 lbs. for my December '13 race]
I've generally been between 160 and 175 lbs the past 10 years, during which time I've done mostly Olympic and 70.3 races. But this year I clamped down on diet, used the Barry P running plan, prayed a lot, and dropped almost 30 lbs. It will be interesting to see how the weight reduction helps my run (and possibly hurts my bike?). I generally consider myself a cyclist more than a runner. I'm a terrible swimmer.

[Follow up: Dropping 29 lbs. saved me 17 minutes on my 140.6 run compared to Dec. '12 on the same course. Though in '12 there was no wind and in '13 there were MASSIVE winds -- 29mph steady winds and 37mph gusts according to data on wunderground.com -- for the last 2 hours of the run.]
Last edited by: elburrito99: Apr 11, 14 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
37 year-old male
5'7"
150 pound base weight
145 race weight

FOP swim and bike, trailing the FOP in the run.
I have a cycling background so my quads are twice the size of any regular runner. I refuse to lose pedaling strength for a lighter run.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [vertseven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex hockeyplayer who just got in to triathlon. 190cm and 105kg, probably one of the heavier boys here...
Done three sprints best time 1h 20 min
5k 21,20
10k 45,30
HM 1,46,05
Doing My first HIM summer 2014
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'6", about 183 right now in December
Ideally into the race season I will be closer to 175
23 years old, race exclusively sprint and Oly
For me it's damn difficult to maintain anything under 180, but so far I've yet to find a lower limit where I start getting slower. 175 is just all I'm willing to do
I have a little background in swimming and running, but really at this point I'm more of a swim-biker. Been working like hell on my run though, and I think part of that was I spent a lot of last season around 185 lbs

IG: idking90
Last edited by: iank: Dec 3, 13 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Women_Run_4061.html

If these are correct, the majority of the pro women are in the 115-130 pound range. Height didn't seem matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [superdea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Superdea,

Thats some good times there for a big guy. I wish I was that quick!

-32 M
-260lb
-74'' tall

Raced Iron distance last year to 12.47 @242lb's. Hoping to get down to 210 for next years go at the same course and try and crack 12hours
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
49 yrs old - M
64" inches tall
132 lbs

Whats crazy is I still have flab on me and I am fairly muscular...I know I am short but damn, I want a 6 pack!
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45 YO Male
winter weight & 2013 season weight - 185
2014 goal race weight - 172-175

6'2" tall

I'm fairly fast on the bike, as long as its flat. In 2013, I was getting re-passed on some uphills by skinny / little guys. I'd re-motor past them when it leveled out, but I noticed.

In addition, I'm hoping my knee will be happier at 175 than it is at 185. I keep my winter weight high on purpose as my metabolism tends to consume muscle when I diet.

Finally - the companies that send me pics from the events always manage to capture perfectly the "middle-aged guy in reasonable shape with a beer gut" look that prevents me from ever buying said images. And when I'm tightening my running shoes in T2, I'm convinced that my belly roll folding over my shorts is costing me 3-5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 M
167cm
71kg

I'm a p(a)unchy little feller. Come race time I'll most likely be around 68kg, but that's a whole winter's worth of beers away.

I started wailing the blues when the doctor whacked my bottom on the day I was born.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Gravelgrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
28 years old, 5'11", 190lbs. Probably should be around 180. Big frame, can't imagine what I would look like under 175 like most of the 5'11" guys. Competitive soccer background growing up. Do pretty well in sprint Tri's, ran 6:40's off the bike last week. Been running for about 3 years now, Getting into triathlon,(done about 7 total over the last two years) first Olympic at the end of the month.

Pr's
5k- 19:33
13.1- 1:33:40
26.2- 3:34:26

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Shippy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 years old, 5-10, 190 lbs. I have wide shoulders and a pronounced "V" taper. I have a 43 inch chest so I'm wide. My BF is at 11% ATM and working on it. I've never been a runner, and just basically started running 4 months ago when I began doing Tri's. I've been cycling for years and consider that my strong point. My fastest Sprint is 59:47 (1/4 mile swim, 12 bike, 5K) and just signed up for Ironman Augusta.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [ErikTaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'3"
35 year old
194lbs right now
Usually between 195-200
Target race weight 182-184

I come from a competitive rowing background and used to be a hell of a runner 15:40 5k in HS with no formal run training. I was 167lbs in HS and had a Vo2 max in the upper 70's or low 80's... 5 years of some pretty bad stuff and 10 more years with no exercise, a lot of drinking and smoking and I'm no where near as fast. I can run a low 19 5k and sub 5 hour 70.3 (hilly course). I wish I found triathlon when I was 17...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its fascinating that the line in the chart, at my height, intersects exactly with my college weight. More motivation to get unfat.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Cheesy Bottom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting... my height on the line puts weight at 162 lbs roughly... that was the number I picked out of the air this winter as a potential race weight this fall (currently at 170lbs). Would imply that this would be a good start but not light enough if I want weight to actually be an advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
184cm with 87kilos. Race weight would be 81kilos, but I like my cake to much.

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The statistician in me needs to know what the formula for the line is haha Im quite curious

Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [fartlekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another girl responding 5'3 and 132.. bf% 20 something.. I like to blame middle age and hormones because my wine, chip and carb intake has nothing to do with it ;0P I'd like to visit 125 lbs again, it's been awhile...hoping to get there for IM Choo.

"I may be the only girl responding, but I'm 5'7" -ish and 139 lb. 30% bf. But geez... all you single digit guys are making me feel huge!!! I'm hoping to get bf *all the way down* to 25% eventually.. And I really think it'll be about impossible. But I've only been at this tri thing for 2 years now... "

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Last edited by: Sufferlandrian: Apr 11, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Sufferlandrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'1 190 pounds. Ideal race weight is 180 to 185. Lowest I've ever been was 2 years ago at 178

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Shippy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shippy13 wrote:
28 years old, 5'11", 190lbs. Probably should be around 180. Big frame, can't imagine what I would look like under 175 like most of the 5'11" guys. Competitive soccer background growing up. Do pretty well in sprint Tri's, ran 6:40's off the bike last week. Been running for about 3 years now, Getting into triathlon,(done about 7 total over the last two years) first Olympic at the end of the month.

Pr's
5k- 19:33
13.1- 1:33:40
26.2- 3:34:26

Soccer guys are usually very good distance runners, as that's what the game requires with a good balance of explosive speed.... unless your a goaltender.

You'll probably always carry some bulk, but i bet 180 is very possible, yet still not terribly light. You 5k PR would probably drop to 18:30, and 1/2 mary time to about 1:26 and a 3:05-3:10 would be possible if you really trained for it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
You'll probably always carry some bulk, but i bet 180 is very possible, yet still not terribly light. You 5k PR would probably drop to 18:30, and 1/2 mary time to about 1:26 and a 3:05-3:10 would be possible if you really trained for it.

That is the plan. I think 180 would be a good weight, but like you said not light at all. I played on the field and not in goal. I think it is very possible to be competitive locally/regionally at that weight. Thanks for the encouragement.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Male, 27
6'2"
167lbs
7.2% body fat (supposedly)

Olympics only thus far. PR 2:23:xx. Swims have always been around 30mins but looking to shatter that at my next race. Best 40k bike thus far 1:01:xx. Not a fast runner by any stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im a 42 yr male 5'10.5" 210 lbs 9 percent body fat. compete in mostly 70.3 and reg for my first full this year. i usually finish at best in the middle of my age group or slightly lower. i have too much muscle to carry to place higher although thats a good balance for what i want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big boned, too much muscle, and body fat % that needs to improve.... 6'0", 42 yr old male who 'raced' IMFL at 217 lbs last year. I should add than I am a sucky sucky swimmer.
Swim: 1:40
Bike: 5:39
'Run': 7ish hours...
total time of 14:55 with mellow transitions and survival mode on the run (overcooked the bike a bit).

I've run a 4:06 standalone marathon (and 1:54 half) when I got down to 180lbs 5 years ago, and running was MUCH easier than now, but I had no power on the bike (avg 18 mph on long rides vs 20-21 mph now).

I finished Ironman St George in 2012 in 16+ hrs at 208 lbs. Ideal IM race weight for me is right around 200 lbs (for a flat course like IMFL, more like 190 lbs for hilly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
56 yo male
Weight today = 155.6lbs
2014 Goal Wt = 150 lbs

Long course triathlon focus. Came from a running background (weighed about 146 lbs in my 20s) with 14:50 5K / 1:08:16 1/2M PRs back then. That speed is long gone...easier to go long than fast now.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
48 yr old female
5' 1"
111 pounds
15% BF
Quote Reply

Prev Next