Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

She won't go 50/50/50 but she has made 50 pages on slowtwitch! Surely that is worthy of a donation to orphan Annie.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

TIT wrote:
She won't go 50/50/50 but she has made 50 pages on slowtwitch! Surely that is worthy of a donation to orphan Annie.

Thats funny! 50 pages on Slowtwitch! I though only Lionel Sanders was capable of such feats.

TIT wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
This looks like it's her, so IF this is her...she's putting up a lot more volume than I thought...not Ironman Volume...but good volume. https://www.strava.com/athletes/32231287

Good find. The account recently created a bunch of routes which at first glance appear to coincide with her planned "ironman triathlons".

Her run pace seems to be ok in her training. I presume the slower ones are hikes/walks.She is definitely putting in ironman volume for the run by the look of it.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

rjrankin wrote:
Saddest part about it is, she's actually got the site set up for direct donations to the cause, and it's gone up $30 in a couple hours. Nearly 600k followers on IG and less than $3k. I don't blame her followers, I didn't see this link mentioned anywhere by her, but could have missed it. This should be attached to EVERY SINGLE post she makes.

That’s because this has nothing to do with raising awareness or money for orphans-it’s solely a tactic to increase her profile....and unfortunately it seems to be working.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mv2005] [ In reply to ]

mv2005 wrote:
Aside from Dean K, how many people have run 50 marathons in 50 days?

Shitloads.

There have been numerous editions of the Trans Europe and Trans America Footraces, and one of Trans Australia. These races involve average daily stage distances of around 40 to 45 miles. The races are up to about 9 or 10 weeks long and cover around 3000 miles.

Also the annual Sri Chinmoy 3100 Mile in New York has a 52 day cut-off. The race record is nearly 3 marathons/day pace.

There's nothing new with these type of events. The first LA to New York race was held in 1928 and attracted around 200 runners with around a quarter of them finishing. Over 3400 miles in 84 days at 40 miles/day. It attracted national interest and was tagged "The Bunyon Derby" by the newspapers. Some runners even backed up for the second edition of the race in 1929, barely 9 months later.

George Perdon was knocking an average of 100 km (62 miles) a day when he was chasing Tony Rafferty in what was essentially a match race to be the first person to run across Australia in the early '70s. Despite having a start of about a week, Rafferty was caught and passed by Perdon. Perdon covered almost 3000 miles in just 47 days, finishing in Sydney a day ahead of his rival.

So Dean K's 1310 miles of running in 50 days was not so extraordinary from an athletic perspective among ultramarathon performances. It was, however, a standout logistically with covering the 50 states and also very impressive on the media and publicity front.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:
domingjm wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
ETA: And because this is for "charity", "we" look like assholes...

Not just "look like"; actually are being assholes. Read through the entirety of this thread and I'm sure that some of the comments will strike you as someone being an asshole. Requesting effort validation is cool, but it doesn't mean that people aren't being overt assholes.

That is the behavior I have seen in this thread.

Ashley has not been an asshole. Sure she is attempting something damn near impossible. She hasn't attempt it and she hasn't claimed she has completed it...yet. She hasn't said anything really asshole-ish. She did have some "I don't give a f---" comments, but nothing that is an asshole comment.

However, some of the commentary on this thread has been a bit on the asshole side.

Requesting validation is fine by me. But some might be taking it a bit too far. is it fair what she is doing? I personally do not care. Unless she harms someone personally I don't really see a big problem with it.

Is she using some of the donated money to fund her whatever you want to call it? Who knows, we can't really tell unless documentation is provided.

Just like if she claims she did 50/50 and the masses want proof. If people claim she used donated money but cannot provide proof, it would seem a bit contradictory.

All in all this has become very entertaining. What she is saying, posting, doing and how ST is responding; the comments, frustrations and some of the insecurities.

Few more days and the this really kicks off!

Insecurities? I didn't see any insecurities on behalf of any slowtwitchers.

As far as the whole ass whole thing I guess we have different definitions of asshole.

Posting ridiculous narcissistic comments and pictures of yourself kind of qualifies as a****** in my book.

claiming you're going to do something epic then blatantly not preparing for it kind of qualifies is a****** in my book.

but if it makes you feel any better we will just wait until she fails or gets caught lying about her distance and then tries to hide behind her charity or fake injury maybe then calling her an a****** will be acceptable in everyone's book.

Maybe I was wrong but people were calling her a whore/tramp on this thread. That might be a bit of an asshole IMO. But maybe it was another discussion somewhere else.

Yep I completely agree she will not do 50 140.6 races in 50 days. I am sure she will SBR in 48 states over "x" days and if she admits that she didn't complete the distance then I don't really she how she is an asshole.

But where do we draw the line? I know many people that have done ironmans that had shortened bikes, cancelled swims, etc. If they do not immediately recognize that fact does that make them a liar? What about the people that qualify for wolds via roll down and say they qualified for "x" race. Sometimes I feel it goes both ways...just saying.

I was the one who originally used the word tramp stamp on this thread. And again I repeat tramp stamp the way I used it refers to a location I don't remember anyone calling her a w**** a tramp if you're implying that someone did then you're implying that I did and I take issue with that. As foreshortened races due to weather or other reasons I agree it's a concern for me as I'm 50 days away from Ironman Maryland. if the swim gets canceled or something gets shortened I certainly will not claim that that was an Ironman.

I don't believe you were the only one to comment on that, I believe a few others chimed in. I also said it might have been another discussion somewhere else. I never tied the word whore with anyone directly.

Unfortunate that you take issue with something that you think I am implying YOU said. I never said YOU did.

Okay.

She's still a clown.
Can I say clown?

Sure go for it, don't need my permission. Call her whatever you want.

Lots of clowns in this thread, forum, and everywhere else.

Triathletes look like clowns all the time!

Not a Triathlete?

I've been in triathlon since 2008 and done plenty of races of all distances etc. I've officiated, ran camps, even coached for a bit. I just don't take it too seriously.

IMO if you're a triathlete and don't think you look like a clown sometimes you gotta lighten up!

No I'm all for laughing at my self. If you can't laugh at yourself than who can you. Just the way you framed that statement made me think maybe you were just a TT guy or something else.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sapix] [ In reply to ]

Sapix wrote:
As many of the people in this forum, I don't really care what shes does or doesn't and I would not even give a crap about it if it wasn't for the fact that her, claiming publicly what she says she would try to do, totally devalues what we all take months, years and maybe decades to accomplish and that makes me upset, because it takes a huge effort (for most of us), time, sacrifices, sweat and tears to accomplish such goal once just to see a dumb person diminishing what we do..................that's all, when you undervalue my effort with BS, that gets me. .

I think this is a big part of the answer about why people care. It seems so easy for defenders of outlandish endeavours to say ‘why do you care? It’s not hurting anyone?’ But it devalues the achievements of others.

When someone who has never done an IM waltzes in and boldly claims they’re doing 50 in 50, it’s thumbing their nose at those who actually do an IM and know how hard it is. Calling her on it isn’t being an asshole, it’s saying ‘how about you have some respect for this event’? Whether it’s for charity or not, doesn’t change that fact

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sjn] [ In reply to ]

Not that I’m on her side but I bet most of us here can walk in and do IMAZ under the time cut off.

Back to to the subject - I’m with everyone she just is using it as a publicity stunt.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sjn] [ In reply to ]

sjn wrote:
When someone who has never done an IM waltzes in and boldly claims they’re doing 50 in 50, it’s thumbing their nose at those who actually do an IM and know how hard it is. Calling her on it isn’t being an asshole, it’s saying ‘how about you have some respect for this event’? Whether it’s for charity or not, doesn’t change that fact

"Darren Sproles is 5-foot-6, I'M 5-foot-6. I could return 50 punts for the Eagles, and do it for charity. How hard could it be?"

Like that?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

The casual “I ran 230 miles in 3 days around Haiti” with no proof sort of chaps my arse. That’s a monumental achievement.

Haiti is not cool, and can be pretty humid per google. The roads are likely bad, or at least not optimal. She ran 370km in 3 days, 123/day or so? And isn’t an ultra runner?

No strava, we are just supposed to accept this? People make outlandish claims and are called to task for it. Occam’s razor says a crossfitty, heavy, non-ultra runner is not doing what she said she did or at least it cannot be accepted without proof.

Once she says something like this, you have to doubt most things she says.

What I don’t doubt is that she would like to help the orphanage, which is laudable, but doing it in a dishonest fashion is sort of sad.

She isn’t doing what she says she is doing, yet she is taking credit for doing it. If you were doing interviews for national publications like ESPNw and saying you are doing 50 IM in 50 days, knowing you aren’t going to actually do it and have no workable plan to do so, wouldn’t you feel guilty?

Case 1: She really thinks she is going to do it, doesn’t really understand the logistics don’t allow it based on her plans, etc etc - she is just dumb (I doubt this), doesn’t understand you aren’t strength trainig 4 times a week etc.

Case 2: She knows she isn’t but doesn’t care because she will get IG followers and potentially some money for the orphanage?

Which is more likely?
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Aug 11, 18 9:28

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

Interesting summary, cheers. I just did the front page google search and it was all about DK so wasn’t sure.

We had the Sydney to Melbourne ultra that got a lot of publicity in years gone by. Especially when the old farmer Cliff Young rocked up in Wellington (gum) boots.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
Also the annual Sri Chinmoy 3100 Mile in New York has a 52 day cut-off. The race record is nearly 3 marathons/day pace.

That's the one which is basically "run around the block a bunch of times" On streets & sidewalks?

https://3100.srichinmoyraces.org/

That's GOTTA suck

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

Not to side track, but what has *gotta* suck is participating in an event that is 52 days long and coming in second by *20 minutes* :

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Reactions] [ In reply to ]

Reactions wrote:
Not that I’m on her side but I bet most of us here can walk in and do IMAZ under the time cut off.
Probably. But can we do it 50 days in a row?

I’d like the odds of the average ST’er completing multiple IMAZ’s in a row vs her chances.

PS - I just completed 100 IM’s in 100 days, solo.
I have zero proof, no GPS or Strava files, nada.
Hell, I did it in 100 different COUNTRIES to boot!
Yeah, that’s it! That’s the ticket!
100 IM’s, 100 days, 100 countries.

I did it all for charity, so it’s all good - and nobody will question the validity of any of these statements.

Please alert Reebok and Good Morning America ASAP.

float , hammer , and jog

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]

She understands the logistics and it certainly bothers me that she’s not correcting espn or USA Today that it’s 50 IMs in 51+ days. This bothers me less but it sounds like she’s going to be doing a lot of the swimming in pools.

Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

windschatten wrote:
mickison wrote:
She understands the logistics and it certainly bothers me that she’s not correcting espn or USA Today that it’s 50 IMs in 51+ days. This bothers me less but it sounds like she’s going to be doing a lot of the swimming in pools.

That’s all semantics that don’t matter.

Same as with the definition of an Ironman = Some form of a “huge” Swim/Run/Bike .

Gotta give it to her for making good use of the societal currents....

WTF.....

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]

I watched the Iron Cowboy documentary yesterday on Amazon - and came away from it with 2 take aways.

1. It can be really hard to watch sometimes, especially when he starts to break down at around day 20 and has a fullon psychotic episode on his bike.
2. Ashley Horner is kidding herself and/or is delusional - assuming that she is serious.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]

Where are you all getting information on this effort?

• Blogs?
  • Instagram?
  • Facebook?
  • Other social media?

Can someone post a comprehensive listing of this effort so that we can track it the best we possibly can?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:

• Blogs?
  • Instagram?
  • Facebook?
  • Other social media?

Can someone post a comprehensive listing of this effort so that we can track it the best we possibly can?

Some on her instagram account. Triathlon magazine listed cities where she’s racing. I don’t know about tracking once she starts.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

mickison wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

• Blogs?
  • Instagram?
  • Facebook?
  • Other social media?

Some on her instagram account. Triathlon magazine listed cities where she’s racing. I don’t know about tracking once she starts.

Okay, so there is a list of where she is going to be doing these things. Is this list so that people can join and swim/bike/run with her along these distances?

If people really want to make sure these are getting done, the best thing that can be done is have an athlete do it along side of her and track everything on their Garmin watch to make sure it is legit.

The swim would be easy...just watch the pool swim or paddle along in a kayak. Ride along on the bike. Ride along on the run...or run it.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

I did see today she only called it women of Iron 50 IM triathlons and after today 49! Didn’t use the 50/50 tagline.

So I guess it’s starting today/tonight?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
If people really want to make sure these are getting done, the best thing that can be done is have an athlete do it along side of her and track everything on their Garmin watch to make sure it is legit.

The swim would be easy...just watch the pool swim or paddle along in a kayak. Ride along on the bike. Ride along on the run...or run it.
That is a little....okay...a lot extreme

But that is also something that IC did now that I remember, was that his team created 50 different Facebook links to each IM with all the details that he did, inviting the public to show up to run the last mile(?) with him, etc.

As been noted several times in this thread, he was 100% transparent with his racing endeavors, Ashley is not.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

I think you scammed everyone with your charity. And just for the f___ of it I think you are a doper as well. There, we both made completely unsubstantiated claims. Good times.

Except I can prove that I never received a penny from the donations to the charity, and I can prove I am a Board member, and I can prove I volunteered there for a year, and I can prove I have given my time and money and continue to do so. I didn't do the kind of thing she tried, I simply did a solo bike tour around the world without any mileage or speed claims along the way. I took my time which is exactly what was written on my website.

As for doping, if you saw me and any of my athletic results, that would be proof enough. :)

Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 11, 18 12:55

Prev Next