Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [zoom] [ In reply to ]

Another post of her swimming. Again, NO WAY could she even do a 1hr15min 2.4 mile swim. There’s a woman at my pool with severe MS that looks more sound in the pool than this.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

The amount of STers talking shit here and a lot of folks on her social channels at her...we could have raised 1MM instead of 100k...but I guess most people in this thread just want to be what my better half call chotches.

There are thousands of orphanages around the world, you don't have to donate to hers. I've been involved with one in the Philippines for almost 10 years now. I realize I'm not filling the internet with promoting myself and lying about my athletic accomplishments but still.

Just because you don't donate to someone like her, doesn't make you a chotch, whatever that represents.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
The amount of STers talking shit here and a lot of folks on her social channels at her...we could have raised 1MM instead of 100k...but I guess most people in this thread just want to be what my better half call chotches.

There are thousands of orphanages around the world, you don't have to donate to hers. I've been involved with one in the Philippines for almost 10 years now. I realize I'm not filling the internet with promoting myself and lying about my athletic accomplishments but still.

Just because you don't donate to someone like her, doesn't make you a chotch, whatever that represents.

Courtesy of Urban Dictionary: a douche bag's evil twin cousin. A chotch bag is more than just a useless idiot, he or she is consistently a useless idiot, often times on purpose.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

From Urban Dictionary

TOP DEFINITION

Chotch
Generic, well-dressed, slightly meathead-ish dude who only cares or knows about bars, chicks, and looking good. Gel, vertical striped shirts, designer jeans, and sleek black shoes are a must. In middle school, chotches wore "No Fear" and "Coed Naked" T-shirts; in high school, white baseball caps and all Abercrombie; in college, visors, wife beaters, and cargo shorts.

Chotches are 'huge' football fans, but end up checking their cell phones more than paying attention to games on TV.
And a true chotch almost certainly received "Scarface" on DVD this last Christmas.

*damn... Twinkie beat me to it :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Aug 13, 18 6:37

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]

The point of my original post wasn't to wade into whether or not it should or shouldn't count, whether or not she drafted a moto, or whether or not they measured a pool wrong. Or any of the other 58 pages of 'whether' questions. It was simply to look at the files posted and whether they have any abnormalities that are cause for concern.

Your post is excellent and I'm sure everyone here appreciates your effort and can rely on your analysis.

It does continue to baffle me that she is so unprepared to do something she promoted so much. I don't care if she took 21 hours to complete most of a single Ironman but clearly she will not even be able to finish another one unless she takes 2 days. If someone was at Ironman # 30 or so, it would be understandable but this was the first one. How could she possibly think she could do 50 in 50 days, plus travel plus her morning weight training.

That's why I think this is a scam, there was no possible way to get a fraction of this done. Then, she associated herself with an orphanage, promising them great returns because of her 50 day effort. People can donate directly to the orphanage (not through her) which would be great but she made a lot of promises that she can't keep.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 13, 18 6:39

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
In regards to donations, donations have doubled over the weekend. https://www.mightycause.com/story/Vovzcg

I will personally take credit for that with my angsty IG posts

Quote:
If EACH of @ashley.horner 's @instagram followers donated JUST $1 to @MaisonFortune, during her 50/50 IM Challenge, she would raise $600K in a blink ... skip ONE coffee, ONE smoothie, ONE diet soda #talkischeap

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Courtesy of Urban Dictionary: a douche bag's evil twin cousin. A chotch bag is more than just a useless idiot, he or she is consistently a useless idiot, often times on purpose.

Whew. Clearly that doesn't apply to me...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]

Durhamskier wrote:
It's killing me, just killing me to not go through with my plan:

1) Find a generic IM Tattoo on the Internet
2) Photoshop it so that it won't shop up in Google image search
3) Save it to Imgur
4) Post it on here as having been posted from AH's Instagram account before being taken down, and had the caption "Finished the first one and had to get the M-Dot tattoo!".
5) Sit back and watch the ST world burn

I could probably photoshop and entire IG post from her account, with the tattoo. But I've learned too much from you guys to follow through with it.

That would be hilarious!!!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [jaretj] [ In reply to ]

Just a thought about her finishing her version of these140.6s in 17-24 hrs...

While it would count as a DNF by IM rules, in the ultra triathlon races such as the deca and double deca one-a-day format, athletes are given 24 hrs where they have to show up for the starting line every morning.

So I think if you consider this as an ultra attempt, she deserves some leeway on whether her days are longer than 17 hrs.

Now the fact that it seems she won’t be doing some consecutive, that probably negates the rules of the one-a-day deca and double deca.

And the whole do the miles in whatever order she wants, that just changes this to a huge undertaking but definitely not 50 IMs in 50 days.

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread fully but I think someone said she did change the name from 50 IMs in 50 days to Ashley’s 50 fun days of exercises or something. Any verification on that?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

If you click on the organiser logo on that page it takes you to previous fundraisers... A 201mile swim and 700mile bike? A 201 mile swim is far, even for me

Sanuk wrote:

Whew. Clearly that doesn't apply to me...

Which part disqualifies you? "Consistently" or "On purpose?"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [JoeyBagofDonuts] [ In reply to ]

Well she got the media hooked using ironman 50 and 50 so since they’re already hooked changing it now makes little difference but if she did change it then that is better. She should have started with that. 50 triathlons in a couple months would have been my choice.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

You guyz! I'm trying to keep a straight face here; there are senior management stood a few feet away.

29 years and counting

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [JoeyBagofDonuts] [ In reply to ]

Her latest IG post now says #2 will be Aug 15, which is Wednesday. So 2 days in between. We'll see how she gets rolling once she's stateside, where Haitian logistics won't be such an issue (or excuse).

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

TIT wrote:

My post was in relation to StoBro's white knighting.

Am I white knighting? I'm just annoying by the fact that some are legit going after her on things that have nothing to do with the triathlon specifically. Yeah the 21+ hr day(I saw that on strava, it's not as clear on the connect file unless I'm missing something) is intense and those transitions are a lot of lost time. From the beginning I said I don't think she makes it past number five all things being equal. IC didn't make it past 10 before he started modifying with indoor erthing and IVs plugged in while running and cycling.

So there was some real life data about what a fit male could endure there, and we're getting real data of what a fit female can do (although she wasn't a pure multisport athlete like IC).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Her first day of big training blocks (because obviously these are not IM races or even any kind of race at all) was pretty solid I think, even if her swim was really short and her elapsed time magically "disappeared."

Looking at her bike data though - her HR does decline in the second half, which everyone is saying due to fatigue. I thought so too except the more I looked at it, I saw her speed increase on that huffy as the miles ticked off in repetitive loops. She started at like 13/14/15 mph and somehow increased to 16/17/18 per each 5 miles in the second half. How is that possible? Especially considering her HR was tanking. She wasn't steady state speed, she was increasing speed as her HR declined.

Is that when she was moto drafting?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]

turningscrews wrote:
Another post of her swimming. Again, NO WAY could she even do a 1hr15min 2.4 mile swim.

It really doesn't look like it, does it.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [jaie] [ In reply to ]

jaie wrote:
Looking at her bike data though - her HR does decline in the second half, which everyone is saying due to fatigue. I thought so too except the more I looked at it, I saw her speed increase on that huffy as the miles ticked off in repetitive loops. She started at like 13/14/15 mph and somehow increased to 16/17/18 per each 5 miles in the second half. How is that possible? Especially considering her HR was tanking. She wasn't steady state speed, she was increasing speed as her HR declined.

Is that when she was moto drafting?

What's the elevation profile on those loops? Is there a significant downhill, which took her a couple of tries to really get a feel for, then she got quicker as she got more comfortable descending?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]

mbwallis wrote:
Her latest IG post now says #2 will be Aug 15, which is Wednesday. So 2 days in between. We'll see how she gets rolling once she's stateside, where Haitian logistics won't be such an issue (or excuse).

So we’re at 50 in 52 currently. She knew, or should have known, the logistics going in but still chose to say 50 in 50. Still better than me. I wouldn’t attempt 2 in 2 weeks. Logistics are never easy for stuff like this for sure. Even stateside. I’ve known RAAM participants and they spent a lot of time working out their logistics. Of course that was a race. This is whatever AH chooses it to be.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

Logistics are never easy for stuff like this for sure.

Logistics is a major problem but you would think the first one would have been well thought out and then the second since it involves flying back to the U.S. It seems there is a lot of fly by the seat of your pants which is odd considering how much she is promoting herself. It really does strike me that the actual doing of the events is secondary.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

mickison wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

So we’re at 50 in 52 currently. She knew, or should have known, the logistics going in but still chose to say 50 in 50. Still better than me. I wouldn’t attempt 2 in 2 weeks. Logistics are never easy for stuff like this for sure. Even stateside. I’ve known RAAM participants and they spent a lot of time working out their logistics. Of course that was a race. This is whatever AH chooses it to be.
Yep, I don't attempt 2 in a year. They seem a bit clueless on logistics, PR, preparation, etc. I wonder if she wishes she could go back and change some of the initial claims, or if she truly doesn't care. If she had said 50 in 2 months,I still would have been interested, and it would have been a huge accomplishment. Anyway, I'm just watching to see what she's able to accomplish at this point, trying to withhold judgement.

Technically, I'm not sure she ever said they would be 50 consecutive days...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [kdw] [ In reply to ]

kdw wrote:
Technically, I'm not sure she ever said they would be 50 consecutive days...

From the USA Today link

Quote:
"This one is probably going to be without a doubt, the biggest evolution and challenge I have ever done," she said. "It is going to take me anywhere from 12-16 hours a day, maybe 18, for 50 days straight, and that’s a lot to wrap your mind around."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [kdw] [ In reply to ]

Had a thought - someone who does this next - do it at a gym in Boulder.

You can set up the bike on a trainer - right next to an indoor track - and it has a pool. You get the transitions too.

Then set up bleachers and such and you will get a packed house supporting you on any of the given 50 days. People can even swim in the lane next to you or bike next to you or run with you.

Measure distance. No transit. Stay in the hotel across the street. Cheaper, easier, publicity for the gym, wont get lonely, and people can see you aren't cheating

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
If you click on the organiser logo on that page it takes you to previous fundraisers... A 201mile swim and 700mile bike? A 201 mile swim is far, even for me

You mean this one:

https://www.mightycause.com/user/uga37g

The concept of the swim was 201 miles in the 30 days of November 2017. It is extremely doubtful that it eventuated, judging by the TV interview she did one week into the attempt. I posted the link to the interview and my comments in post #1309, page 53 of this thread. Even a week into the attempt, she sounded totally clueless about how far she had to swim to achieve her target and suspiciously vague on the details of her first week of swimming.

50 miles a week is beyond what many Olympians swim, yet she proclaimed she would do so for a month, despite her poor technique and lack of a real swim training foundation.

Regarding her charity page, it is a bit duplicitous to have the text on the webpage stating "201 Mile Swim for Maison Fortune Orphanage. $5K goal reached + $1490". While the fundraising is to be applauded, there is no info on the swim, only the misleading implication that it did happen.

The only other of "Ashley's Contribitions" on the page is the 700 mile bike ride to raise $700. At least when click on that, it appears to have happened, although not by Ashley, but instead by a Melissa Humphries in Texas, at the same time as Ashley was supposedly swimming her 201 miles.

It seems Ms Horner's modus operandi is to publicize and promote an athletic goal well beyond her abilities (230 mile run, 201 mile swim, 50 IM/50 days), whip up the attention of gullible acolytes that believe she is capable of her goal, while cultivating her public persona and solicit donations for a worthy cause....

At least with her current attempt at 50 IM, a departure from her usual script appears to be coming with her being publicly held to account on both the process and outcome. However, if not for public pressure, one does wonder if the accountability would have eventuated.

From an athletic perspective, I am curious as to what she can genuinely achieve when she does begin consecutive days on US soil.

As for the fund raising, I feel good on her and I wish her well. However I'm not likely to donate when it's solicited on the back of dubious or misleading claims.

Prev Next