Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
Jumping the shark...that is a new one. That - that really does not even make sense. I like it though.

It's a real thing. Use the google.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
Jumping the shark...that is a new one. That - that really does not even make sense. I like it though.

To save people the research... There was an episode of Happy Days after the show had started getting a bit stale, where Fonzie jumped a shark on water skis. They did it to renew interest, but it backfired. Everybody saw through it as evidence that the show was desperate and really had no good ideas left. So the phrase "jumped the shark" or "jumping the shark" caught on to describe anything that is so over, it's getting ridiculous and it's time to move on. You can often point to the moment it happens in any TV show, relationship, political career, even 50 in 50 attempts. We might call it "running the elliptical", though. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

Learn something new here everyday. I’ve heard that expression a bunch but never knew where it came from.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]

Grant.Reuter wrote:
Learn something new here everyday. I’ve heard that expression a bunch but never knew where it came from.

Yeah, it's an oldie but a goodie. This thread's jumping the shark moment is when the conversation has gotten so derailed, people are posting pictures of a Red Bull Dakar rally truck flying through the air over a sand dune. As soon as you see that, your subconscious just says, "Well this is over. I'm out." lol.

Somebody with some good photoshop skills could put her face on the front of that truck and that would say everything.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Aug 13, 18 13:28

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sjn] [ In reply to ]

sjn wrote:
trail wrote:

LeMans and Daytona are single-day!

How about a Dakar Rally KAMAZ?

Not very aero

Neither is Coach Rhino

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

He’s a giant. He would most certainly win any melee caused by swim congestion.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

So after her first race where did she go to get her squats and lunges in.

I NO HER BODY CRAVES THAT!!!

WTF.....

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

ZenTriBrett wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Yeah, it's an oldie but a goodie. This thread's jumping the shark moment is when the conversation has gotten so derailed, people are posting pictures of a Red Bull Dakar rally truck flying through the air over a sand dune. As soon as you see that, your subconscious just says, "Well this is over. I'm out." lol.

Somebody with some good photoshop skills could put her face on the front of that truck and that would say everything.

Since we've already jumped the shark, here is the actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZGKI8vpcg

It's so damn ridiculous. Fonzie is even wearing jorts and a leather jacket.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]

My parents tell a story of how my dad tried skiing up onto a beach like that to impress my mom when they were dating. It didn't go well - he broke a bunch of ribs crashing into the bushes past the sand. I asked him if he learned a lesson. He said yes, "It's really hard to run on sand with water skis on at 30 mph."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]

jpk_phx wrote:
Since we've already jumped the shark, here is the actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZGKI8vpcg

It's so damn ridiculous. Fonzie is even wearing jorts and a leather jacket.

In my opinion, the show jumped the shark a year before he actually jumped the shark with the "Fonzy Loves Pinky" trio of episodes which included the infamous "Malachi Crunch" demo derby scene.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
So after her first race where did she go to get her squats and lunges in.

I NO HER BODY CRAVES THAT!!!

WTF.....

My body craves beer and burgers

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]

mbwallis wrote:
Her latest IG post now says #2 will be Aug 15, which is Wednesday. So 2 days in between. We'll see how she gets rolling once she's stateside, where Haitian logistics won't be such an issue (or excuse).

To be fair, that has been the schedule for the past month.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

Don't forget the gummy bears.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

TIT wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Her latest IG post now says #2 will be Aug 15, which is Wednesday. So 2 days in between. We'll see how she gets rolling once she's stateside, where Haitian logistics won't be such an issue (or excuse).

To be fair, that has been the schedule for the past month.

But that’s not the fifty-straight-days she boasted about in two national interviews. Her words, not mine.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

Don't forget the gummy bears.

Ever used gummy bears for race fuel?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

Not in a triathlon but I did an extended bike tour and one of my go to snacks at night while in my tent, was gummy bears. Mmmmmm

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
TIT wrote:

My post was in relation to StoBro's white knighting.

Am I white knighting? I'm just annoying by the fact that some are legit going after her on things that have nothing to do with the triathlon specifically. Yeah the 21+ hr day(I saw that on strava, it's not as clear on the connect file unless I'm missing something) is intense and those transitions are a lot of lost time. From the beginning I said I don't think she makes it past number five all things being equal. IC didn't make it past 10 before he started modifying with indoor erthing and IVs plugged in while running and cycling.

So there was some real life data about what a fit male could endure there, and we're getting real data of what a fit female can do (although she wasn't a pure multisport athlete like IC).

What don't you understand? She messed up the pool size and didn't even do one full distance SBR. Would you be giving her a pass if the bike or run had been proportionally short? To me it just typifies her whole attitude to the logistics of this. How hard is it to measure a pool? How hard is it to get to the end of your calculated laps, realise your time is unrealistic given your training times and double check the pool measurement?

50 ironman distance SBRs in 52 days is a huge undertaking. But as someone else said, if she is going to be doing rubbish like this, just say you are going to to be doing lots of SBR for charity.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

When WTC stops handing out Kona and 70.3 Championship slots on cancelled and shortened swim courses let me know.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sjn] [ In reply to ]

sjn wrote:
trail wrote:

LeMans and Daytona are single-day!

How about a Dakar Rally KAMAZ?

Not very aero

And the seats are too high

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
When WTC stops handing out Kona and 70.3 Championship slots on cancelled and shortened swim courses let me know.

You’re going to have to do better than that. Those are cancelled or shortened for a real reason each time. Hers was shortened because the pool was too smooth or the water was too clear? Pick one.

It's obviously a fuck up and she went by what her watch told her. I've posted a few times in this thread that your garmin on freestyle when your form is off adds laps. That's a logistics issue. And I really don't care about the real world shit there, if you cancel a swim you shouldn't be handing out slots for a WC.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 13, 18 16:43

TheStroBro wrote:
It's obviously a fuck up and she went by what her watch told her. I've posted a few times in this thread that your garmin on freestyle when you form is off adds laps. That's a logistics issue. And I really don't care about the real world shit there, if you cancel a swim you shouldn't be handing out slots for a WC.

I agree with you on the kona issue. But that is a bit unrelated to all this.

If somebody knows a swim usually takes them 1.5 hours and they suddenly swim it in 1.2 hours, it's time to remeasure the pool or keep swimming until you hit 1.6 just to be sure.

TheStroBro wrote:
It's obviously a fuck up and she went by what her watch told her. I've posted a few times in this thread that your garmin on freestyle when you form is off adds laps. That's a logistics issue. And I really don't care about the real world shit there, if you cancel a swim you shouldn't be handing out slots for a WC.

I could totally see how the swim algorithm would be thrown off my her shit show stroke mechanics. That’s why you tell your garmin to count laps, not do gps in a pool. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. Try again coach!

TheStroBro wrote:

Completely different. Swims cancelled or shortened due to conditions beyond the athlete's control vs a short swim due to crappy planning by the athlete herself. She had all the time in the world to organise this and instead she rushed in half assed.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

Not in a triathlon but I did an extended bike tour and one of my go to snacks at night while in my tent, was gummy bears. Mmmmmm

Personally, I prefer Sour Patch Kids

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Prev Next