Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Was George Goodwin rocking the Hoka One One Carbon X? I looked liked almost everyone was wearing a Nike shoe of some sort.

I would love to see a breakdown of everyone's gear and nutrition.

Pretty sure Matt Hanson doesn’t wear Nike’s, actually don’t think he wears any of the ‘super shoes’, like ON or something.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will probably come up again with an entitled teenage girl snarky response to anyone criticizing race organization blunders: but this is not a new idea, it has been done at Superleauge for years with success. Would have been nice how everyone was doing on the water.

To no one in particular: it was a great race. The race course was designed to give the LC folks a needed advantage vs the SC athletes but Schoeman, Iden, Luis, et al represented well given the conditions. Schoeman looked really dialed in on the TT bike, I wonder how much time he spent preparing for this, Luis only trained for a few weeks on the TT bike and he did not look as smooth. Does anyone knows what happened to J Brownlee?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Chemist wrote:
fulla wrote:
Super league races still put this race to shame when it comes to excitement imo.

I agree. I enjoyed watching this and I enjoy watching Kona every year. But Super League has a WAY better chance at getting people interested in watching than a longer event like this. Much more action and fast paced with lead changes and close finishes. Can’t wait until it’s back again

i have to say one has to agree in a way to have it a 1 k swim 4o k bike 9 k run 1 k swim 40 k bike and 9 k run would make it even more spectacular i do not think tri will become a tv sport otherwise. there needs to be more changes for the more general audience.
superleague in a way does almost everything better than anybody else in the sport .
in a way you almost think pto and superleague should work toghether and the synergies would help both. pto
superleague drafting and pto superleague non drafting

good point. for the average person, what makes triathlon different (and interesting) is transition.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this distance 2k/80k/18k Nice even 100k total. Challenge should make this a world wide series.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
novaboy wrote:
I like this distance 2k/80k/18k Nice even 100k total. Challenge should make this a world wide series.
That does feel like a potential future for the PTO. A world series format of 4-5 races of roughly this difference, though there is no real need to make them all the same and some variety would actually be great. Have athletes commit to a few or all of the races and then have the championship race be an invite based on performances from the series. Pick only awesome venues and people would watch.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
You will probably come up again with an entitled teenage girl snarky response to anyone criticizing race organization blunders: but this is not a new idea, it has been done at Superleauge for years with success. Would have been nice how everyone was doing on the water.

To no one in particular: it was a great race. The race course was designed to give the LC folks a needed advantage vs the SC athletes but Schoeman, Iden, Luis, et al represented well given the conditions. Schoeman looked really dialed in on the TT bike, I wonder how much time he spent preparing for this, Luis only trained for a few weeks on the TT bike and he did not look as smooth. Does anyone knows what happened to J Brownlee?

He was doing ok until he went in for his 2min penalty, after he went in for that he just seemed to go backwards, might also have had something to do with big bro pulling out mentality wise.

I doubt we're ever going to have a race as stacked as this again thats not 70.3 Worlds, next year is an Olympic year (supposedly) as well as Kona for the LC lot 70.3 Worlds then becomes everyone who raced yesterday's B race (that might get minimal interest from SC guys depending on where it factors in Olympic prep) then you have Superleague for the SC athletes who will probably see this as a direct rival and is offering up similar prize money.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

Hey I definitely agree with you on Schoeman. I was actually surprised by how strong he biked for a tiny guy on a flat course like that. Plus he did all the work on the swim. I believe with all the work on the swim and bike his tank was emptier than it should be for the run, so he tailed off at the back end of the run. Luis was in contention for the win. If we say his 2 min penalty results in a 1:40 delta, it would be neck and neck with Iden potentially catching Luis with one lap to go?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lapped athletes are easy to handle. Give them a "Blue Flag"

What’s the use of a Blue Flag in F1? As per the rules, the blue flag is shown to a driver to indicate that a faster car is behind him and trying to overtake. Shown both to lapped cars and those racing. A lapped car must allow the faster car past after seeing a maximum of three blue flags or risk being penalized.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
novaboy wrote:

That does feel like a potential future for the PTO. A world series format of 4-5 races of roughly this difference, though there is no real need to make them all the same and some variety would actually be great. Have athletes commit to a few or all of the races and then have the championship race be an invite based on performances from the series. Pick only awesome venues and people would watch.

Triathlete 1: Hey, what are you racing this year?

Triathlete 2: Ohh, I think I am going to do a a handful of 100's.

Triathlete 1: Yeah, same here. Its just more manageable and I can race like 6 of those this summer instead of two 70.3 races and one full distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a participant in this sport for thirty years I wouldn't personally bother to enter a race like this.

Happy for the winners, they got a paycheck.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Hey I definitely agree with you on Schoeman. I was actually surprised by how strong he biked for a tiny guy on a flat course like that. Plus he did all the work on the swim. I believe with all the work on the swim and bike his tank was emptier than it should be for the run, so he tailed off at the back end of the run. Luis was in contention for the win. If we say his 2 min penalty results in a 1:40 delta, it would be neck and neck with Iden potentially catching Luis with one lap to go?

Totally agree on Luis, although in all probability I think Gustav would have took it. But man you wouldnt want Luis there with a 1km to go.

I was surprised at Schoeman, but having rewatched the highlights of the Beijing International Tri from a few years ago I shouldn't be. Super smooth and dialled in on the TT bike. Clearly his w/kg are superb and is aero as hell. I think like you say the swim, bike probably caused the fade, but possibly also the fact he probably hasn't done many of the specific longer key workouts for 3+ hours racing. That and he was still recovering from Long Covid a month ago. Got a bright future when he moves up properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
novaboy wrote:

Triathlete 1: Hey, what are you racing this year?

Triathlete 2: Ohh, I think I am going to do a a handful of 100's.

Triathlete 1: Yeah, same here. Its just more manageable and I can race like 6 of those this summer instead of two 70.3 races and one full distance.

Why not, this was fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Totally agree on Luis, although in all probability I think Gustav would have took it. But man you wouldnt want Luis there with a 1km to go.

I was surprised at Schoeman, but having rewatched the highlights of the Beijing International Tri from a few years ago I shouldn't be. Super smooth and dialled in on the TT bike. Clearly his w/kg are superb and is aero as hell. I think like you say the swim, bike probably caused the fade, but possibly also the fact he probably hasn't done many of the specific longer key workouts for 3+ hours racing. That and he was still recovering from Long Covid a month ago. Got a bright future when he moves up properly.

There are athletes in other sports who are littelry playing a week after recovering from Covid, why is Schoeman taking longer to recover than everyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you actually watch ITU racing? The bike hasn't been raced like that in quite a while. Every leg matters. Tbh I really don't like the 20m spacing. Makes for a boring bike where it's super hard to pass and you end up with a mess. Also, there should be a benefit to being first out of the water, you miss that front train you gotta ruin yourself or its game over. That makes for way more exciting racing. 70.3 worlds in south Africa is still one of my favorite tris I've watched for this reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Adman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

There are athletes in other sports who are littelry playing a week after recovering from Covid, why is Schoeman taking longer to recover than everyone else?

You never heard of long Covid? Some people take longer to recover from it. I guess that hasn't been worked out yet by medical professionals.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Do you actually watch ITU racing? The bike hasn't been raced like that in quite a while. Every leg matters. Tbh I really don't like the 20m spacing. Makes for a boring bike where it's super hard to pass and you end up with a mess. Also, there should be a benefit to being first out of the water, you miss that front train you gotta ruin yourself or its game over. That makes for way more exciting racing. 70.3 worlds in south Africa is still one of my favorite tris I've watched for this reason.

There was a lot of passing on the bike for a format that supposedly makes it "super hard to pass"...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are the men's top 10 and whether you characterize them SC or LC

1 - Iden SC ( I would argue he is truly a LC guy, that is his strength and MUCH more success than ITU)
2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (SC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

- SO if you put Iden in the LC group, which I personally would (he will most likely disagree when he sees this, sorry Gustav), we have 7 LC and 3 SC. I would say the LC guys really held their own and did not get "Wiped UP" by the SC guys, as was the pre-race banter.
- I think the 20m draft rule really was the equalizer here, and what made this race so interesting. To suggest this race change to a Draft Legal format would just destroy the race, and everything that just happened. A lot of momentum swings in the race throughout the entire day were because the bike MATTERED!!
- Sanders haters, I would say he put out a gutsy performance given how far back he was on the swim, almost got a podium spot, wasn't he supposed to finish outside top 10?
- The coverage was "OFF THE HOOK". For those complaining:
1 - The video quality was perfect.
2 - Numerous camera angles.
3 - Top notch production crew switching from camera to camera.
4 - The head cams on the mottos were brilliant.
5 - Real time splits, we have been asking about this for YEARS!!! Bravo Sporstats team!!!
6 - Overhead views of the racers on the track with bubble overlays of the athletes positioning ALA NASCAR.
7 - If you are trying to go after a new audience, then you need "RELATABLE" announcers. I thought they had a good balance, NASCAR announcer, Rowdy Gaines, and Belinda Granger.
- The PTO cares about the PROS!!! Hence they were trying to showcase the pros all week:
1 - Unbreakable series
2 - Game day with Bob, Barry and Talbot
3 - The intro to triathlon with John and Judy Collins was priceless!!
4 - Biggest prize purse and EVERY athlete got paid, that is how it should be done!!!
- This was being broadcast on 100 stations around the world, so I would say they were really trying to get MAXIMUM exposure. It will take time to grow this brand, I just hope they have the patience to see that through.

- I had tears in my eyes when Paula won, I clearly remember her crossing the finish line in dead last during the Olympics. I'm from Canada and they should it numerous times on TV here, it must have taken IMMENSE courage for her to FINISH that race. To see her win yesterday, WOW!!!!

Bravo PTO!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Adman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Different people have different long term affects just like different people have varying levels of symptoms and severity. I personally know 2 people who had COVID and one of them still struggles to do 3 mile runs months after testing negative while the other is back in the gym doing weightlifting days after recovering as if nothing happened. Could also be other sports are less aerobically focused
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be biased (since it's only about 1.5 hours away from me)... but I would love to see race track style event at a true road racing course like Road America:

https://veloviewer.com/segment/2155354/Lap+of+Road+America

75 m of elevation gain per lap over 12 laps would amount to ~900m of gain over an 80k ride. I'm thinking there are road courses in Europe that could fit the bill...you just need a body of water within about a km or so of the track to pull it off.

But at Road America, you'd still get all the advantages from a production perspective of a closed course + looped circuit for splits and camera work, but throw 3000 feet of climbing and descending into the mix and the race would feel much different. Run hilly as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really happy for Paula. Not sure how much support she has from her sponsors (but she does have some good sponsors), but I hope she's able to really capitalize on this and grow her brand.

I have wondered why she isn't a TFR athlete but she does have some sort of support from Trek. I imagine the level of support is different (though I could be wrong) but I think it would be great to see more support thrown her way.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a lake at Road America?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:

1 - Iden SC ( I would argue he is truly a LC guy, that is his strength and MUCH more success than ITU)
2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (SC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

- SO if you put Iden in the LC group, which I personally would (he will most likely disagree when he sees this, sorry Gustav), we have 7 LC and 3 SC. I would say the LC guys really held their own and did not get "Wiped UP" by the SC guys, as was the pre-race banter.
- I think the 20m draft rule really was the equalizer here, and what made this race so interesting. To suggest this race change to a Draft Legal format would just destroy the race, and everything that just happened. A lot of momentum swings in the race throughout the entire day were because the bike MATTERED!!
- Sanders haters, I would say he put out a gutsy performance given how far back he was on the swim, almost got a podium spot, wasn't he supposed to finish outside top 10?
5 - Real time splits, we have been asking about this for YEARS!!! Bravo Sporstats team!!!
6 - Overhead views of the racers on the track with bubble overlays of the athletes positioning ALA NASCAR.
7 - If you are trying to go after a new audience, then you need "RELATABLE" announcers. I thought they had a good balance, NASCAR announcer, Rowdy Gaines, and Belinda Granger.
- The PTO cares about the PROS!!! Hence they were trying to showcase the pros all week:
1 - Unbreakable series
4 - Biggest prize purse and EVERY athlete got paid, that is how it should be done!!!
- This was being broadcast on 100 stations around the world, so I would say they were really trying to get MAXIMUM exposure. It will take time to grow this brand, I just hope they have the patience to see that through.

- I had tears in my eyes when Paula won, I clearly remember her crossing the finish line in dead last during the Olympics. I'm from Canada and they should it numerous times on TV here, it must have taken IMMENSE courage for her to FINISH that race. To see her win yesterday, WOW!!!!

Bravo PTO!!!!!

Iden is not a LC athlete, no matter how much you try and spin it that he is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny Brownlee has said the bike took its toll on his legs with about 15km to go (which is strange considering he had the fastest run split on the 1st lap or there abouts according to the ticker) no excuses as he said he was in his best shape for a while, says he's excited to come back at this distance after the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
CementBottle wrote:

2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (SC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

-

Goodwin has much more success racing LC over the last 3 years and only a mediocre short course career from what I can tell. He'd be LC even though he's really young.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
CementBottle wrote:

2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (SC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

1 - Unbreakable series

Bravo PTO!!!!!

why do you classify goodwin SC
and applton and von berg not ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next