Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Here are the men's top 10 and whether you characterize them SC or LC

1 - Iden SC ( I would argue he is truly a LC guy, that is his strength and MUCH more success than ITU)
2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (SC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

- SO if you put Iden in the LC group, which I personally would (he will most likely disagree when he sees this, sorry Gustav), we have 7 LC and 3 SC. I would say the LC guys really held their own and did not get "Wiped UP" by the SC guys, as was the pre-race banter.
- I think the 20m draft rule really was the equalizer here, and what made this race so interesting. To suggest this race change to a Draft Legal format would just destroy the race, and everything that just happened. A lot of momentum swings in the race throughout the entire day were because the bike MATTERED!!
- Sanders haters, I would say he put out a gutsy performance given how far back he was on the swim, almost got a podium spot, wasn't he supposed to finish outside top 10?
- The coverage was "OFF THE HOOK". For those complaining:
1 - The video quality was perfect.
2 - Numerous camera angles.
3 - Top notch production crew switching from camera to camera.
4 - The head cams on the mottos were brilliant.
5 - Real time splits, we have been asking about this for YEARS!!! Bravo Sporstats team!!!
6 - Overhead views of the racers on the track with bubble overlays of the athletes positioning ALA NASCAR.
7 - If you are trying to go after a new audience, then you need "RELATABLE" announcers. I thought they had a good balance, NASCAR announcer, Rowdy Gaines, and Belinda Granger.
- The PTO cares about the PROS!!! Hence they were trying to showcase the pros all week:
1 - Unbreakable series
2 - Game day with Bob, Barry and Talbot
3 - The intro to triathlon with John and Judy Collins was priceless!!
4 - Biggest prize purse and EVERY athlete got paid, that is how it should be done!!!
- This was being broadcast on 100 stations around the world, so I would say they were really trying to get MAXIMUM exposure. It will take time to grow this brand, I just hope they have the patience to see that through.

- I had tears in my eyes when Paula won, I clearly remember her crossing the finish line in dead last during the Olympics. I'm from Canada and they should it numerous times on TV here, it must have taken IMMENSE courage for her to FINISH that race. To see her win yesterday, WOW!!!!

Bravo PTO!!!!!

Iden is not a LC athlete, no matter how much you try and spin it that he is.

Iden is probably squarely middle distance right now. This distance (70.3 down to Olympic) is his specialty. He's not just an Olympic and sprint guy like Luis.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are elite level professional footballers (soccer) prety much everyone of them has returned after testing positive a couple of weeks later with no drop off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iden hasn't raced one IM distance race as far as im aware and is an ITU athlete focused on the Olympics, although I would defo agree his talents seem to be at 70.3, to define him as a LC athlete is a bit of a stretch!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Agreed 100% on everything you said.

The one thing I would add is the unpredictability of it all. Going into BIG races like this this year - all the form charts have very often gone out the window in endurance sports races and events.

Who would have predicted a 21 kid from Slovenia would have won the Tour de France while the defending champion on the most invincible and most consist team ever in the sport, does not even finish the race!

Ditto at the Giro - this time the invincible team wins with a guy originally supposed to be a Domestique.

Or . . how about the GOAT in the marathon, having his worst race ever at the London Marathon!

. . and so on.

Same yesterday at Daytona. George Goodwin? Young guy with a strong Duathlon back ground! Matt Hanson - super-runner! Lionel - Mr. Grit, giving the finger to all the doubters! Really - Iden was the only one in the top-4 who I thought was a "favorite" - aftercall he is the current 70.3 Champion (close to this distance) and beat many of these same Longer Course guys in Nice last year - albeit on a VERY different type of course. The carnage of all the much more fancied favorites was fascinating to watch!

As for the women - the one thing I was struck by, was what Paula shared with me earlier in the year, when I interviewed he for a client and she mentioned in her pre-race session with Babbitt - This was the longest sustained, uninterrupted cycle of training that she has ever put in! Essentially 6 - 8 months. You see normally for athletes at this level, the training is in more fits and starts than you think: Train. Then taper. Train again. Another race. A little recovery. More training. Niggling injury. Time off. Scramble to get fitness back. Another mini taper . . . and so on! For Paula this sustained training, worked brilliantly. She swam/cycled/ran with extraordinary balance and composure - never out of it. Always in control. And then by the mid point of the run - literally just had to stay on he feet to get the win!

The results yesterday, were amazing, and I don't mean to take anything away from the top finishers, but this has been, a most unusual and extraordinary year in many ways.

As for the Broadcast - I said this yesterday and I will say it again, outside of what we see during the Olympic Games, for triathlon coverage, with a slight nod to Super League, this was the BEST coverage of a triathlon race I have ever seen!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 7, 20 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 ITU career wins in races that no one cares about Vs. 70.3 Worlds and Daytona. I'd say he is a long course athlete now.

Jackets wrote:

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: Dec 7, 20 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you really trying to push the idea that everyone who gets COVID is totally fine and at 100% no more than 2 weeks after their diagnosis? Because that is absolutely not true, even for young healthy people.

My wife got Covid, and even after all her other symptoms had been gone for days and she was allowed out of isolation, she had to take several naps a day and even a short walk on a trail wiped her out. Two weeks later and she is happy that she can teach school and take the dog for a walk without having to take a nap. And she did not even have a serious case, O2 levels never fell, etc. I have a co-worker who, 6 weeks after being out of isolation is still not 100%. Also a "mild" case.

You even have people with "mild" cases with likely permanent heart damage.

Then you have people in the ICU for a month...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 7, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's never won a WTS event. And only has two 2nds. He's won the biggest 70.3 in the world 2 years in a row. Just because he's mainly done ITU events doesn't mean he's a SC athlete. I think the origin of this argument assumed some folks are better at short course and some are better at long course, we are seeing that be true for guys like Iden. Some people say the fastest ITU guys will always be the fastest long course guys as well. That is simply not always the case.
Last edited by: Sean H: Dec 7, 20 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Agreed 100% on everything you said.

The one thing I would add is the unpredictability of it all. Going into BIG races like this this year - all the form charts have very often gone out the window in endurance sports races and events.

Who would have predicted a 21 kid from Slovenia would have won the Tour de France while the defending champion on the most invincible and most consist team ever in the sport, does not even finish the race!

Ditto at the Giro - this time the invincible team wins with a guy originally supposed to be a Domestique.

Or . . how about the GOAT in the marathon, having his worst race ever at the London Marathon!

. . and so on.

Same yesterday at Daytona. George Morrison? Young guy with a strong Duathlon back ground! Matt Hanson - super-runner! Lionel - Mr. Grit, giving the finger to all the doubters! Really - Iden was the only one in the top-4 who I thought was a "favorite" - aftercall he is the current 70.3 Champion (close to this distance) and beat many of these same Longer Course guys in Nice last year - albeit on a VERY different type of course. The carnage of all the much more fancied favorites was fascinating to watch!

As for the women - the one thing I was struck by, was what Paula shared with me earlier in the year, when I interviewed he for a client and she mentioned in her pre-race session with Babbitt - This was the longest sustained, uninterrupted cycle of training that she has ever put in! Essentially 6 - 8 months. You see normally for athletes at this level, the training is in more fits and starts than you think: Train. Then taper. Train again. Another race. A little recovery. More training. Niggling injury. Time off. Scramble to get fitness back. Another mini taper . . . and so on! For Paula this sustained training, worked brilliantly. She swam/cycled/ran with extraordinary balance and composure - never out of it. Always in control. And then by the mid point of the run - literally just had to stay on he feet to get the win!

The results yesterday, were amazing, and I don't mean to take anything away from the top finishers, but this has been, a most unusual and extraordinary year in many ways.

As for the Broadcast - I said this yesterday and I will say it again, outside of what we see during the Olympic Games, for triathlon coverage, with a slight nod to Super League, this was the BEST coverage of a triathlon race I have ever seen!

This is how much we know about George Goodwin ;)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks, Brent. Typo. Corrected.

Most appreciated.

As the race was unfolding I did have to Google him and there is not much out there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Most appreciated.

As the race was unfolding I did have to Google him and there is not much out there!

Just giving you a little grief - you are one of the best!

The only reason I knew about him was from the Oxygen Addict podcast, as he's an up and coming name on the domestic UK scene.

When Alicia Kaye said there was a dude running past everyone who looked 15 - I immediately pegged him for 2nd because I had heard about his running capabilities. But tremendous race by young Mr. Goodwin!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Most appreciated.

The only reason I knew about him was from the Oxygen Addict podcast, as he's an up and coming name on the domestic UK scene.

When Alicia Kaye said there was a dude running past everyone who looked 15 - I immediately pegged him for 2nd because I had heard about his running capabilities. But tremendous race by young Mr. Goodwin!

Haha, when Alicia Kaye said that, Belinda said, oh no, that's Bradley Weiss - he looks young but really he's old. :-P

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
dfru wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Most appreciated.

Haha, when Alicia Kaye said that, Belinda said, oh no, that's Bradley Weiss - he looks young but really he's old. :-P

That's right - haha that was pretty funny too!

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
3 ITU career wins in races that no one cares about Vs. 70.3 Worlds and Daytona. I'd say he is a long course athlete now.

Jackets wrote:

Iden won 70.3 when it was not his A race.
That must be hard to swallow if you are a LD fan.

He, like Blummenfelt is showing that olympic distance athletes can easily do a 70.3.
But 70.3 athletes have no chance in an ITU competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked Van Berg asking Goodwin what lap he was on when he passed him on the last lap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people say the fastest ITU guys will always be the fastest long course guys as well. That is simply not always the case.

Given the luxury of looking back at this, my feeling is the bike course as simple as it was, was more of a factor than people realize. Same gear. Same big power output. Same RPM. Same position. No coasting. No letting off. For 80km! How many were really ready for that?

The first time I had ever thought about this was when my wife was prepping to race IMFL for the first time years ago ( 180 km bike almost completely flat). A key ingredient of the training - long rides on the trainer - in the same position pushing a big gear and big power! She did reasonably well that year - 7th in the Pro Women's race, but I remember standing at T2, and watching so many people get off their bikes, and be completely crippled. They needed to be literally helped off the bike, and then could barely even walk!!

As crazy as Lionel's One Hour Heroics seemed - it may have actually been the best preparation that anyone could have done - as unorthodox as it may have been seen at the time! This obviously set him up well for the bike, but for the run as well. He ran well and was hanging in there with the super-runners, and not far off the pace! I have not done a deep dive into the splits, but LS should gave had the best bike/run splits! Or perhaps Matt Hanson.

Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 7, 20 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's hard for you to swallow that he's a shitty ITU racer.

Halvard wrote:
G. Belson wrote:

Jackets wrote:

He, like Blummenfelt is showing that olympic distance athletes can easily do a 70.3.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

I'm not sure we can say this. Maybe true, maybe not. But long course race organizations are happy to let the ITU guys participate. ITU and NGB's are not as happy to let long course athletes enter a WTS race, so we really have no meaningful data.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 - Iden (SC/LC)???
2 - Hanson (LC)
3 - Goodwin (LC)
4 - Sanders (LC)
5 - Von Berg (LC)
6 - Appleton (LC)
7 - Schoeman (SC)
8 - Luis (SC)
9 - Long (LC)
10 - Dreitz (LC)

So I amended my list to put Goodwin as LC (apprently much more success at middle distance). I did not know much about him prior to this race, my apologies. Iden, we can argue either way and his focus is on ITU, but his success is Middle distance hence the LC classification.

So once again, I would say LC acquitted themselves quite well.

Forgot to mention how impressed I was with Schoeman's effort considering he led the swim wire to wire and not a big athlete pushing big watts on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:

Halvard wrote:
G. Belson wrote:

Jackets wrote:

I think Gustav Iden is a really good ITU racer.
And I of course is saying that based on facts, and not because someone peed in my eggnog......
https://www.triathlon.org/athletes/profile/47630/gustav_iden

ITU World Ranking7

World Triathlon Series Ranking9

ITU Individual Olympic Qualification Ranking12

Continental Ranking
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Was George Goodwin rocking the Hoka One One Carbon X? I looked liked almost everyone was wearing a Nike shoe of some sort.

I would love to see a breakdown of everyone's gear and nutrition.

Pretty sure Matt Hanson doesn’t wear Nike’s, actually don’t think he wears any of the ‘super shoes’, like ON or something.

He might be sponsored by On. I saw him wearing them in one of his Daytona Bike videos on youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Some people say the fastest ITU guys will always be the fastest long course guys as well. That is simply not always the case.

Given the luxury of looking back at this, my feeling is the bike course as simple as it was, was more of a factor than people realize. Same gear. Same big power output. Same RPM. Same position. No coasting. No letting off. For 80km! How many were really ready for that?

The first time I had ever thought about this was when my wife was prepping to race IMFL for the first time years ago ( 180 km bike almost completely flat). A key ingredient of the training - long rides on the trainer - in the same position pushing a big gear and big power! She did reasonably well that year - 7th in the Pro Women's race, but I remember standing at T2, and watching so many people get off their bikes, and be completely crippled. They needed to be literally helped off the bike, and then could barely even walk!!

As crazy as Lionel's One Hour Heroics seemed - it may have actually been the best preparation that anyone could have done - as unorthodox as it may have been seen at the time! This obviously set him up well for the bike, but for the run as well. He ran well and was hanging in there with the super-runners, and not far off the pace! I have not done a deep dive into the splits, but LS should gave had the best bike/run splits! Or perhaps Matt Hanson.

Lionel had the third fastest bike split 26 seconds behind Ditlev and 7 seconds behind Long. His run was quite reasonable as well, sub 1 hour. He was less than 1 minute from Iden. I think Hanson had the fastest run split.

I agree, going for the hour record probably set up his race in terms of being able to push the watts in aero with no break, and then still pull off a great run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:

Halvard wrote:
G. Belson wrote:

Jackets wrote:

Just because you don't like Halvard doesn't mean you need to throw try and throw shade at Iden. Not to mention your assessment is off. Look at the 2019 ITU rankings. Gustav Iden was 9th. To say someone who is in the top 10 is a shitty ITU races just shows you really don't know what you are talking about.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Halvard wrote:

I'm not sure we can say this. Maybe true, maybe not. But long course race organizations are happy to let the ITU guys participate. ITU and NGB's are not as happy to let long course athletes enter a WTS race, so we really have no meaningful data.

I mean, we do have data from looking at the Island House Triathlon races from 2015-2017.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona Race Day Banter [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
so in terms of the post-race, a few stray thoughts:

-in a lot of ways i like the idea of an 'arena' race. i've done them before and they make for great TV and can be fast. and definitely given COVID, it was the safest - maybe the only - way to get a race underway.

-but: how do we make the bike . . . better? it was a bit boring to watch and must've been painfully boring to race. hills? chicanes? water hazards? i dunno.

-the wildcard idea is brilliant, and a few of the wildcard entries clearly enriched the racing yesterday. it makes kona's pro draw look rigid and shabby by comparison. find fast or interesting athletes and get them in there!

-drafting . . . it's definitely a four-letter-word on slowtwitch and for a lot of the US market, i guess. but eventually, you've got a few dozen athletes who are able to swim within a minute or two of one another and ride the same. 20m between each just gets unworkable and makes for those awkward situations we had with frustrating passes and quasi-blocking, and then frustrating with the inadequacy of a 2-minute penalty for what felt like pretty egregious cases.

-what do we do about lapped athletes? in a long-course race, anything can happen and i'm a bit reluctant to say lapped athletes should be pulled, simply because there's always a chance of clawing back. (especially when the money goes 20 deep!). but the michi weiss situation was silly - he was clearly interfering with the race dynamic at the front and i'd wished that there was some way to control that. maybe lapped athletes have to ride outside lines?

-coverage: as far as I'm concerned, anything that pushes all races to up their game is great. i have a few quibbles: there were some weirdly static stretches where the camera stayed on, say, sam long for 5 minutes while all kinds of other stuff was happening in the field. k-mac came across a bit poorly pressing lisa norden for her plans when she started limping. the commentators were a motley crew of backgrounds and abilities and it would be nice to have a crew with good chemistry and knowledge. the helmet cams and moto ride-bys were brilliant. the real-time leaderboards were brilliant. the real-time pacing information was absolutely fantastic and i hope it becomes a norm. for casual athletes (or even for dedicated runners, riders, or swimmers who don't know tri) getting pace/speed info in real time allows you to really understand what you're watching.

-finally: if i were a 20-something triathlete, again, and i'd just won 6-figures in a race and found myself with time to kill in florida, i'd be partying like ric james. i feel badly for these athletes who are under covid restrictions on what should be the best post-race party of the year.

I felt the same way as you when it was clear before the race began that about half the field would be lapped on the bike. However, post-hoc it appears that the Daytona track was just long enough relative to the swim that all legitimate contenders were safe. The slowest swimmers capable of clawing their way back into contention were Lionel and Sam who were 60-75sec clear of being lapped when entering the racetrack (enough to keep them safely in it, but little enough to make it entertaining if they screwed up in T1!).

On the other side of the coin, the only lapped athlete who ran their way back into the top 20 (where there was a difference in prize money) was Chris Leiferman who finished 19th. Does it matter that Ben Kanute was out-earned by a lapped athlete who paced off the lead group shortly after Ben was dropped from it? Maybe, although I think the bigger practical issues are lapped riders getting in the way of the leaders and confusing the viewers.

On a related note, the poster who mentioned the Road America track in Wisconsin is onto something I think. Aside from the benefits of its elevation profile, that track is a bit longer at 6.4km long (instead of about 4km) which would make it easier to justify pulling lapped athletes.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The origin of this argument was someone claiming Iden was a LC athlete to win the LC athlete better than SC debate (which im prety neutral on)
Quote Reply

Prev Next