Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev ... first of all ... thank you again for continuing with your 100/100 program. Great stuff. I did it last year for the first time and it was really fun. Which brings me to the "mileage is the goal while frequency is the tool" part. I used to think this as well ... but at least for me, there is a huge difference in training outcome if I run let's say 7x7 miles versus 3x16 miles ... even when trying to have a similar pace pattern/distribution between the two regimes. Thus, at least to some extent, I think that frequency is the final goal and mileage is simply a by-product.
Stefan

devashish_paul wrote:
Actually there are many levels....the highest level is 100 official runs in 100 days....then there are levels for 90, 80, 70 etc. I'd personally like to hit 80 as lately I am on the pace of running 4 out of every 5 days. You bring up a good point about mileage...the goal is mileage through frequency. Frequency is the tool, mileage in the end goal.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think the way you explain it, the 7x7 miles ends up being better quality than 3x16 miles per week. the point about mileage through frequency was more directed to guys wanting to do 15x30 min runs in a week. That is 7.5 hours of running. Might get more out of 7x60 minutes versus a pure "spreadsheet chase".

OK, I am hoping some of the vets can answer the airing of the grievances too. I can't possibly answer every variation of questions posted on this thread and should be offline for the next half day.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the mean time, perhaps we can get the annual questions and airing of grievances out of the way. There is no plan for any change of rules at this point as it would devalue the achievements of athletes in past years

Then why even have an airing out if there is no plan for change?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the third year in a row. I hit 569mi last year in 78 runs and ended up with a tibial stress fx in April. I'll be looking to hit the same frequency, but probably less mileage. We'll see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people are incapable of doing this challenge without asking ridiculous questions and having complaints about the rules :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [Sean11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the rules:

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop)

You get no credit for going longer than 30 minute wrt number of runs, however it will help your distance totals. Over time, many of your runs will be in excess of 30 minutes.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some running rules to live by. Check out this fatass run list of faqs:

http://jefflovestorun.blogspot.com/...01/riddlerun-13.html

Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Isn't that your theory on underwear?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Isn't that your theory on underwear?

John

Oh snap!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [Sean11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
1. If I run for two hours does it count as two runs? If you run 30 minutes, eat donuts for an hour, then run 30 minutes, you get credit for two runs...if I run for two hours I have run 30 minutes, run for an hour, then run 30 minutes. The only thing I have done differently is replace my off time of donut eating with off time of running. Hmmm....I would think this should count, but I'm sure there has been a ruling on this in the past.

I did 5:20 50k ultra as part of 100/100 in 2010 and it was suggested then that i could actually claim 4 runs from it, since the rules do not require that you STOP running in between runs. but you know that you will know for all time that you ... twisted the rules to your advantage and did not reflect the intention of the challenge.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in! Should fit right in to my winter run focus I am working on with my coach. Plus I need the motivation.

SM Gose
Red Lodge, MT
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
From the rules:

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop)

You get no credit for going longer than 30 minute wrt number of runs, however it will help your distance totals. Over time, many of your runs will be in excess of 30 minutes.

Umm, yeah...I was kidding. I read the rules. Thought the primary purpose of the thread was to inform about the start of the challenge and the secondary purpose was so people could come up with dumb challenges to rules that have been in place for years and aren't going to change.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:

Quote:
1. If I run for two hours does it count as two runs? If you run 30 minutes, eat donuts for an hour, then run 30 minutes, you get credit for two runs...if I run for two hours I have run 30 minutes, run for an hour, then run 30 minutes. The only thing I have done differently is replace my off time of donut eating with off time of running. Hmmm....I would think this should count, but I'm sure there has been a ruling on this in the past.

I did 5:20 50k ultra as part of 100/100 in 2010 and it was suggested then that i could actually claim 4 runs from it, since the rules do not require that you STOP running in between runs. but you know that you will know for all time that you ... twisted the rules to your advantage and did not reflect the intention of the challenge.

Yep...like I said to JenSw, I was kidding....I'm not stupid enough to join the challenge for the first time and actually contest a rule that has been in place forever....but I did find that quirk of the rules funny. Your story is fantastic though...lots of mileage credit for one run. I'm thinking about doing this race in GA that has a 5k one evening, then a 10k in the morning, then a half mary later in the morning, then a 2.8 mile run in the afternoon, then a one mile run later in the afternoon. All adds up to 26.2. I think under the rules I would only get 2 or 3 counted runs out of it though, as I'm not fast enough to do the 10k and have a 60 minute break before the half mary, and not slow enough to do the 2.8 mile run for 30 minutes (unless I was really broken by then). I guess i could get 3 by extending the 2.8 mile run on my own to get to 30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hoping to do it this year-since i can now run anytime and day I want!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is nordic skate skiing allowed? Feet leave the ground. Did not find a reference in the rules.

SM Gose
Red Lodge, MT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I went and read the rules, which were ridiculously long, and I want to know why there isn't a special, "Powdered Donut" level that's like, 50/100, for all of us people with lives?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the first time! Going to try and do 80+

When your legs get tired, run with your heart
http://tritofinishchris.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much running each day do I have to do to achieve "Prancing Peacock" status?...I'm currently in the cellar with the lowly assholes and would like to lift my game..

----
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
none, you just have to talk about it a lot....lol
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONwolf wrote:
none, you just have to talk about it a lot....lol

----

Hahaha..Pictures count as well so I'd better get the camera ready in case I see some foreign cattle on a mountaintop..

---
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Starts on Dec 15th....annual airing of the Grievances [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
katcycle wrote:
So I went and read the rules, which were ridiculously long, and I want to know why there isn't a special, "Powdered Donut" level that's like, 50/100, for all of us people with lives?

We could/should add a powdered donut level, as it seems there have been multiple mentions over the years about running 30 min to the donut store, having a coffee and donut and hanging out for the required 1 hour break and then running home for 30 minutes.

Ultratriguy...looking forward to your participation as you put down the base for your next round of ultraman exploits. We'll also need some old school guys to keep everyone around here honest. So if I understand things correctly, you are planning on triple consisting of Ultraman Canada+ Challenge Penticton + Ultraman Kona?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by oooo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd really like to do this as I am doing my last IM this summer because my knees are going.... so might as well crush them totally this year for a good time (pink)!!! Anyway, i've been biking a lot already and don't want to sacrifice that training thus far, anyone out there who's done this and managed to keep their numbers up on the bike? What was your system? Thanks!

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These rules are too darn confusing, so I humbly submit the following scenario for review by the Council of Elders.

It's getting late, but I'm hungry. I'm ready to throw Desert Dude's eating rules out the window. I decide to make a run to the border for some Taco Bell. During the drive to/from Taco Bell, I make sure to avoid having both feet on pedals at the same time. Now, a round trip border run only takes about 20 minutes, so I'm still short on duration. The silver lining is that soon after eating a 7-layer burrito I will spend 10 minutes dealing with a different sort of run which should add up to a total of 30 minutes. But I can see where people think this 100/100 is a recipe for injury. I mean, have you ever tried to use a squatty potty while keeping one foot in the air at all times?

Can I get a ruling on this?

In all seriousness, I started the BarryP plan about a month ago to increase my run frequency, and my mileage is just getting to the point where my short runs will qualify (if I keep them easy enough). So, I'm going to give this a shot and aim for 80/100. Thanks for organizing this again this year.
Last edited by: walewanderer: Nov 29, 12 12:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next