Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
The Cian-saga gets weirder. https://www.wielerflits.nl/...-anti-cian-appgroep/

"the exertion of unauthorized psychological pressure"

As opposed to the authorized kind? Sort of sounds like the Bora riders might have been made to feel inadequately prepared compared with Cian, so the ragging. But one has to be exceptionally particular to stand out in a group of WT riders. They're not known for being easy come easy go when it comes to gear and set ups, etc.

Sort of poisons the team chemistry.

Cianide, they might say.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

As opposed to the authorized kind?

I assume that's imperfect translation, though one of our language experts here could clarify. Secondary translations are things like secret/clandestine, so it could mean something like that Cian having to deal with these extra pressures that are hidden from view.

And if the WhatsApp-group-with-everyone-but-you is true, that's pretty awful. That's no fun. Reminds me of ance-Lay having the team bus drive off without Contador. (Though imperfect comparison because even then I don't think Contador was any victim nor without team allies - he was a superstar in his own right).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Cianide, they might say.

Strong display of off-season form.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Cianide, they might say.

Strong display of off-season form.

I was getting gapped.

74 days 'til the 'Loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You closed the gap and went off the front, all in one swift move.

And hereā€™s hoping we can actually watch ā€˜Loop over here in ā€˜Merica.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Flo has picked up the X2O, Exact, and Superprestige series from GCN. So there's now a one-stop shop for CX in the U.S. for those able to stomach Flo's fee.

We'll see if Flo or Peacock wants to pick up classics like the 'Loop.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo picking up the other CX races does suggest they could get more road races, which I take as a positive sign. I don't love Flo but I already pay for it so it would be great if the exhorbitant fees they charge offered better value, and it'd keep me from having to resort to Tiz. Fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

The Belgian public TV channels (RTBF and Sporza) broadcast most of the cycling races we care to watch. You just need some additional language capabilities and VPN service to Belgium, et voila.

Alternatively, you can watch the feed on mute, and the experience should still be better than watching the likes of Flo and NBC.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any tips for watching a race in person? I'll be watching my first in the Netherlands (Hulst) and looks like the big players will be there....Can't wait!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, don't have any more practical tips other than to wear tall boots (it could get ridiculously muddy) and be prepared to be penned in at the site for up to 2 hours afterwards.

Westmalle is sorta on the way for you, might be worthwhile to see if they are open on that Saturday.

Enjoy your stay and enjoy the banketstaaf and spekuloos biscuits :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can Venmo some cash to someone on the Europa side and they can use their card to pay for my Eurosport subscription. Nice little side hustle for someone. Tack on a commish.

Re-reading that I think, McNulty, you've got a problem......:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Maybe I can Venmo some cash to someone on the Europa side and they can use their card to pay for my Eurosport subscription. Nice little side hustle for someone. Tack on a commish.

Re-reading that I think, McNulty, you've got a problem......:)

If you have relatives in Ɖire, donā€™t see why not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Sorry, don't have any more practical tips other than to wear tall boots (it could get ridiculously muddy) and be prepared to be penned in at the site for up to 2 hours afterwards.

Westmalle is sorta on the way for you, might be worthwhile to see if they are open on that Saturday.

Enjoy your stay and enjoy the banketstaaf and spekuloos biscuits :)[/quote

Thanks. I've been getting rain pants, coats and boots to withstand the cold rainy mud, so hope to be set. I'm excited as the big 3 men and Fem are planning on being there, so should be quite a show. I appreciate the help. We go the Netherlands a couple of times per year lately so am very familiar with the goodies there....

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: GaryGeiger: Dec 13, 23 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, twice a year? Lucky you!

We went during Christmas 2019 as part of our honeymoon, and we both loved the stay (except for the food). At five days, it was too short in retrospect, and we could have easily spent a few more days each in Den Haag and Utrecht (ended up combining both into a single day).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother-in-law is Dutch and we used to talk about taking a family trip back to her homeland but at this point she's too old/frail to travel so it ain't gonna happen. I've only ever done Amsterdam and that was a whirlwind 2 days with a group of high school students, so not an ideal way to see a country. Someday I'll get back there (though I'm realizing the "someday I'll do X" list is getting dauntingly long). I'll agree that the food wasn't particularly good, though I don't think it's fair to judge a country's cuisine based on what they feed the EF tour groups. We're already well accustomed to Dutch food based on the aforementioned mother-in-law so I know some of it is good, but some of the other stuff (Bitterbollen, Bakleverworst, salty licorice) I just can't get into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Flo has picked up the X2O, Exact, and Superprestige series from GCN. So there's now a one-stop shop for CX in the U.S. for those able to stomach Flo's fee.

We'll see if Flo or Peacock wants to pick up classics like the 'Loop.

Heresā€™ what MAX is teasing for 2024

Quote:
Today, Max and TNT Sports, a division of Warner Bros. Discovery, announced that the most expansive roster of live cycling across Road, Mountain Bike, Track, BMX and Cyclocross will be coming to the B/R Sports Add-On on Max for U.S. subscribers in February 2024.

Live cycling coverage on Max will include more than 300 of the worldā€™s biggest racing events, including the prestigious Giro dā€™Italia, all race weekends of the UCI Mountain Bike World Series, all rounds of the UCI Track Champions League, 53 womenā€™s World Tour Pro Series broadcasts, the E3 Saxo Bank Classic, the Kuurneā€“Brusselsā€“Kuurne, and more. All in, Max will be the one to watch for U.S. cycling fans, offering more live cycling event coverage throughout the year than any other streaming service.

Subscribers will also have access to ā€œThe Breakawayā€, English-language pre- and post-race coverage which will harness the most immersive broadcast studio innovations to dissect the action for cycling fans.

Iā€™m sure it will cost significantly more than the $50/year GCN+ was charging but, hey, considering ho much I watched GCN+, Iā€™m so there and paying whatever the stupid cost is.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The actual Dutch food we didn't mind, and I, being a former fattie, had a difficult time turning down extra helpings of banketstaaf and such. I think my wife actually liked bitterballen. The disappointment was mainly trying to find a place that served a decent celebratory meal, and the nominally highly rated place served us really tough osso buco (as opposed to fall-off-the-bones tender). First world problems and all that.

EF tour, eh? So does that mean you've heard of it long before it started sponsoring the cycling team?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! I'd just written off Time Warner assuming they'd just killed GCN for the tax writeoff, but didn't care about actually moving content elsewhere.

Here's the link.

El Pistolero, "Shut Up, Jens," Boar of the Ardennes, and Rocket Robbie mentioned as announcer talent.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 14, 23 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Interesting! I'd just written off Time Warner assuming they'd just killed GCN for the tax writeoff, but didn't care about actually moving content elsewhere.

Here's the link.

El Pistolero, "Shut Up, Jens," Boar of the Ardennes, and Rocket Robbie mentioned as announcer talent.

I suspect that killing off the GCN+ app development costs for a good tax write off on the losses and then moving the GCN+ users to a $11.99/month option (Iā€™m guessing) instead of $50/year was seen as making sense to the Discovery suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some call him the goat.

[inline "Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 3.12.51Ć¢ā‚¬ĀÆPM.png"]
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Dec 14, 23 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
EF tour, eh? So does that mean you've heard of it long before it started sponsoring the cycling team?

Yes, and I've got an EF backpack that's now use to transport cycling kit. Blue not pink though.

On the streaming front, that Max announcement does me no good north of the border, and is probably bad news for Canadians since I don't see Flo (or anyone else) paying for streaming rights for our relatively tiny market. But maybe Warner will have some sort of solution for the "everyone but Europe and the USA" market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a separate note, no racing season can start without UCI adding dumb rule(s) to ban something.

Next year, they are going after turned-in-brake-levers. Arguing, and without evidence of course, that there is a safety issue. How finding a lever a bit to the inside at reasonable angles (say 30-45) as opposed so straight ahead constitutes a safety risk is beyond me.

I picture UCI headquarters full of really old Ned Flander looking types just looking at technology and innovation and finding ways to come up with rules to ban stuff that does not resemble whatever it is they have in their outdated minds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Some call him the goat.

Who is he? And what match (presumably footie) is this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSG played Dortmund. TiboPino himself double fisting beverages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vintage Pinot!
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Dec 14, 23 17:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next