Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears I get a Max subscription with all the money we send to ATT for phones and tablets. That’d be something.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
PSG played Dortmund. TiboPino himself double fisting beverages.

While I know his bike is plastic, i didn’t quite expect him to be a plastic supporter.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Next year, they are going after turned-in-brake-levers.

And they didn't stop there! Also number pockets. Which I'm OK doing *something* about that because there've been instances of utterly unreadable numbers with those pockets, particularly in rain. But I'd have preferred they just mandate that numbers actually be readable in all conditions and leave it at that then mandate numbers be pinned on over fabric. Because we all tire of metal pins or pins + sticky glue that stays on your skinsuit forever.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Wow, twice a year? Lucky you!

We went during Christmas 2019 as part of our honeymoon, and we both loved the stay (except for the food). At five days, it was too short in retrospect, and we could have easily spent a few more days each in Den Haag and Utrecht (ended up combining both into a single day).

Yea, it's a fun place. My GF has family in Schiedam, outside Rotterdam, so we visit pretty frequently. She was born in Den Haag, and that is pretty nice, but I really love Utrecht. I raced Challenge Almere last Sept and became friends with the age group winner in my ag, and he's invited us to stay at his house outside Utrecht, so should be fun. We'll be going to the race together so having a Dutchman along will be fun. Buying lots of new rain gear now.........And yes, traditional Dutch food can be a bit bland; likely why they eat so much Indonesian. We love the amazing fresh markets though.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It appears I get a Max subscription with all the money we send to ATT for phones and tablets. That’d be something.

Which is nice....
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
On a separate note, no racing season can start without UCI adding dumb rule(s) to ban something.

Next year, they are going after turned-in-brake-levers. Arguing, and without evidence of course, that there is a safety issue. How finding a lever a bit to the inside at reasonable angles (say 30-45) as opposed so straight ahead constitutes a safety risk is beyond me.

I picture UCI headquarters full of really old Ned Flander looking types just looking at technology and innovation and finding ways to come up with rules to ban stuff that does not resemble whatever it is they have in their outdated minds.

Is there some advantage to turned-in brake levers that escapes me?
I mean, other than skirting the no-puppy-paws rule?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when you're doing the palms-on-the-hoods flat forearms thing, angling in the brake levers just makes you that much narrower and more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
echappist wrote:

We went during Christmas 2019 as part of our honeymoon, and we both loved the stay (except for the food). At five days, it was too short in retrospect, and we could have easily spent a few more days each in Den Haag and Utrecht (ended up combining both into a single day).

Yea, it's a fun place. My GF has family in Schiedam, outside Rotterdam, so we visit pretty frequently. She was born in Den Haag, and that is pretty nice, but I really love Utrecht. I raced Challenge Almere last Sept and became friends with the age group winner in my ag, and he's invited us to stay at his house outside Utrecht, so should be fun. We'll be going to the race together so having a Dutchman along will be fun. Buying lots of new rain gear now.........And yes, traditional Dutch food can be a bit bland; likely why they eat so much Indonesian. We love the amazing fresh markets though.

If we get another chance of visiting, we'll definitely have both the Rietveld Schröder House (De Stijl actualized in 3D) and the Domtoren on the itinerary. Missed out on the former due to bad planning (arrived in Utrecht way too late in the day) and the latter was undergoing construction at the time.

Have fun and post photos :)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Which is nice....

Gunga galunga!
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Yeah, when you're doing the palms-on-the-hoods flat forearms thing, angling in the brake levers just makes you that much narrower and more aero.

Palms-on-the-hood is the closest legal thing to puppy paws aero, and angling the levers just makes it more narrow. Why wouldn't the UCI ban that?
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let the big dawgs eat: Tommy Boy and MvdP hit the dirt tomorrow.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Dec 15, 23 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably because just like puppy paws, it's contributing to more interesting breakaway racing and isn't causing any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Let the big dawgs eat: Tommy Boy and MvdP hit the dirt tomorrow.

are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet LOL

Big 3 just in time for the xmas break!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:
echappist wrote:

If we get another chance of visiting, we'll definitely have both the Rietveld Schröder House (De Stijl actualized in 3D) and the Domtoren on the itinerary. Missed out on the former due to bad planning (arrived in Utrecht way too late in the day) and the latter was undergoing construction at the time.

Have fun and post photos :)

Had not heard of the house, and the tower has been under construction in the years we've gone. My friend over there said he and his brother used to race up and down that when young. Nice chatting to you and I'm sure we'll have a ball, especially at the race.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deja vu all over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant racing at Trofee in both races! Particularly the race for 2nd in the men's. Also fun, flowy course.

Positive thing about Flo: Their X20 announcer duo is the A team. Good stuff. Also they got the women's race replay up almost immediately after it ended.

Negative. What the HELL with the spoiler in the women's race thumbnail to get to the replay?!? I'm usually pretty chill about spoilers on the internet. Avoid the internet if you don't want them. But when the gate to get to the replay has the spoiler?

Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said before - Lucinda is coming into form at the right time. Bad luck played a part today but I think she can hold Fem wheel so the next few weeks are going to be interesting!

mvpd... we all knew the outcome before the race - he looks lean to me for this time of the year so let see how that plays out for the spring season

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ladies' Dutch and World Championships are shaping up to be quite interesting, with the resurgence of Brand and del Carmen. All four are slated to start tomorrow.

Interestingly enough, neither WvA nor MdvP racing tomorrow. But Pidcock, Vantourenhout, and Mason are, along with Lars vdH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, interesting that both WvA and MdVP have so far spurned the World Cup races. I'm sure the UCI is seething if Lappartient rage-posted about T. Nys skipping a race earlier this year. But Lappartient doesn't dare say something mean about the two megastars. He's lucky enough to get just MdVP caring about Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, Pieterse usually posts her recon laps, and the one for Namur is up.

Good stuff starts ~7:00. The in-race cameras don't really do justice to just how treachery the descent is before the cobbles and how crappy and steep that cobbled section is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Also, Pieterse usually posts her recon laps, and the one for Namur is up.

Good stuff starts ~7:00. The in-race cameras don't really do justice to just how treachery the descent is before the cobbles and how crappy and steep that cobbled section is.

they make it look SOOOOO easy - there are crashes all over the place in lower cats (talking in general not specific to this race)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lappartient is the George Costanza of pro cycling. Yet while he’ll go after a 20-yo kid, he’s not enough of a buffoon to mention any of the Three Kings.

Really good women’s race, right down to the wire. No shocker about men’s. Tommy Boy had a very impressive race, being nearly :25 down of chase group at start of 2nd lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yeah, interesting that both WvA and MdVP have so far spurned the World Cup races. I'm sure the UCI is seething if Lappartient rage-posted about T. Nys skipping a race earlier this year. But Lappartient doesn't dare say something mean about the two megastars. He's lucky enough to get just MdVP caring about Worlds.

MvP and Pidcock both had great races at their cyclocross season openers, at X20 Trofee Herentals (especially Pidcock from his poor start position).
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS** Bike Racing Thread, 2023 [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
trail wrote:

MvP and Pidcock both had great races at their cyclocross season openers, at X20 Trofee Herentals (especially Pidcock from his poor start position).

did Pidcock had a warm up lap? he race was AMAZING if you considered where we was 1/3 into the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Namur looking rough today!

Quote Reply

Prev Next