Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the GvA win, is Sagan kicking himself for not giving it the old college try?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome win by GvA. That man has guts and determination. He deserved a breakout win. He got dropped on the climb, came back, and even went to the front on the climb. Happy for JF to get silver too.

Many have been joking that Majka didn't know what to do riding out front in the wind (because many call him a wheel sucker), but it really did look like he didn't know what to do. He was on the hoods with his chest up in the wind. Needs to watch some videos of solo victories and do some practice riding time trial style and in the drops if wants to win a race like this.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Sanny87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ija.z wrote:
It will be interesting to hear about what happened on the descent that took out Nibali and Henao.

The motorbike camera was a little behind, so we could not see what error caused them to crash. Too bad, because it is likely those three could've stayed away.

apparently happened very close to where Porte crashed.

Sanny87 wrote:
With the GvA win, is Sagan kicking himself for not giving it the old college try?

so that he would have GvA outkick him again ;)? why go through all that trouble when you can win a race instead (albeit against bunch of amateurs)

my friend and frequent contributor here, tetonrider is on the podium

Last edited by: echappist: Aug 6, 16 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Sanny87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan won the mountain bike race in Utah today he is using as warm up

I definitely want to watch the MTB race
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ija.z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It will be interesting to hear about what happened on the descent that took out Nibali and Henao.
The motorbike camera was a little behind, so we could not see what error caused them to crash. Too bad, because it is likely those three could've stayed away.

Maybe the would have. But what was the gap at the time? On broadcast I heard only nine seconds. Henao wasn't going to be very strong pulling on the flat. Majka wasn't going to work. Nibali might have tried to attack not favoring his changes in sprint. So same GvA and JF move might have caught all three.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuglsang and GvA chasing that closely for a gold, I'd have bet the lead 3 getting caught anyway. Beasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
wow, what a race. Bravo!

That was the most exciting 20 minutes!!

I totally agree! Wicked exciting.

I cannot imagine flying down at those speeds and then going from medal contention to on the ground and thinking about all the training/racing going down the drain. From so very high to so low in a split second...and then there will be physical pain to follow...
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if any of that course is used in the tri bike course?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
wow, what a race. Bravo!

Super exciting! Hope the women's race is just a good. Go Megan Gaurnier!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sanny87 wrote:

so that he would have GvA outkick him again ;)?

why go through all that trouble when you can win a race instead (albeit against bunch of amateurs)

Sagan has 0.0% of coming close to the podium in the mtb race.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:
wow, what a race. Bravo!

Super exciting! Hope the women's race is just a good. Go Megan Gaurnier!

women's races are often more exciting than the men's race

let's hope that all the ladies get down that hill safely. i have serious doubts as to whether Stevens or Abbot could keep up on the descent.

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm really bummed for Nibali and Henao. If Majka had those 2, I think all three get the medals.

Any news on Porte's injuries?

Porte is out of the TT with a fractured scapula.

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/...r-crash-in-road-race
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No , but the tri course has a descent that is even more technical

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Why no disc brakes ? Seems like it would have a good race to demo them again

UCI. And TomA.
'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
GvA gets his first major classics win, despite almost nothing was expected of Belgium from this race. Chapeau

C'mon.....the Olympics is NOT a major classic.

Huge props to GvA,however....to be able to hang in there with all those flyweights on that course was pretty impressive.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This course was WAY too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no discussion of the women's race yet?

just for fun: vos, johansson, armitstead.

probably going to be extremely wrong, but i picked alaphilippe to win yesterday and he wasn't far off, so what the heck.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need a new thread for the women's race. I see Emma Pooley is back racing (and attacking) after her foray into dominating mountainous long course tris!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm watching, time for my arvo nap... How long are women's races exciting generally? Last hr?

Vos... Maybe if the others have trouble with the descents, commentators here (prob a bit biased) are saying the Americans are crap descenders? Either way, I'm going Van der Breggen, Guarnier, Niewiadoma (sp), no particular order.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No exaggeration. Stevens and Abbot are terrible bike handlers. Both got superb engines, but neither is a complete bike racer.

Guarnier is different and has done well in the classics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guarnier popped, Vos and Armitstead struggling. Vos was in the break so that's understandable.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team Orange looking very very good ending this final climb....please no Nibali replica descents!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this course probably is too dangerous but DANG its exciting.

another great race. can Abbott get down this hill??????
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
this course probably is too dangerous but DANG its exciting.

another great race. can Abbott get down this hill??????

They are on the descent and the Dutch are going to attack Nibali style (minus crashing please)! Abbot already dropped. I heard she crashed on the Mortirolo descent this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah battle for bronze is on. And looks like a little rain on the way. Americans also strong but Abbott isolated her own team too quickly, Stevens was on the cusp of returning. Of course, not sure if she could have done anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next