Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
A) In case you missed it, she actually did have a chance to sprint for GOLD at the finish.

B) If they all refused to work, my A point would never had happened. They caught her and sprinted 11s from the finish.

ETA: I just completely disagree with your point that she rode poorly. The finish allowed her to finish on podium and *atleast* attempt to go for gold versus cat fighting over sprinting for silver at best. To bring up all that after that bike race, yawn.

A) Effectively she didn't.

B) She never even tried to force them to work. She could have at least tried.

She in reality did not attempt to go for gold, she gave it to one of the other two riders. You can't even argue she thought she had an awesome sprint even when spent and the other 2 didn't have any legs left, because she was happy with the result, not disappointed she got it wrong by effectively being a leadout for the other 2. She gave the race away.

Is nobody her clued into the fact that some people are good sprinters and others aren't? That for some people, no matter how much you make the other work, you're basically still going to get smoked? For sprinters it's like their fast twitch muscles are in a separate compartment and have been on vacation until it's time to sprint. If they are still there, they can still sprint. Perhaps Longo Bourgini is one of those non-sprinters and she knew that no matter what she was going to get 3rd in that group. If she is one of those riders, then she absolutely did the right thing.

Hey, guess what, she's not a sprinter.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...dal-in-rio-olympics/

From that article:
"...but of course I had to wait for them for the sprint, because I am not a sprinter," Longo Borghini said."

"Instead of a bunch sprint, the race came down to a small group of nine riders and Lizzie Armitstead won the world title for Great Britain. Longo Borghini was in that small group but she could only manage a fourth place behind silver medallist Anna Van der Breggen (Netherlands) and bronze medallist Megan Guarnier (USA). It was a result that she expressed disappointment over while speaking with Cyclingnews at the finish line.

"I think we rode really well, I'm just really sad that until 20 metres to go I was third position but I couldn't really finish off the good teamwork with a medal. I feel really sorry for my national team. It's a hard fourth place for me," she said."

Shocking that a professional cyclist would know more about his or her strengths as a rider than the internet peanut gallery...

There is only the TT. This "chess game" analogy of bike racing just confuses me. Strengths and weaknesses? Luck, strategy, and timing? Teammates?? WTF!?

TT the STRONGEST MAN WINS RAWRRR.

ETA - errr...or strongest woman. but yea!
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Aug 8, 16 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
i'm surprised no one has brought this up yet.. so i will:

abbot was doing a pretty darn good job holding them off. she had about 8k where she really had to have a solid solo effort.

a few things i thought (and i would love some ST engineering/mathematics here):

if she had:
- longer sleeves on her arm (hers were extremely short compared to the other girls)
- more aero helmet (was hers the most aero?)
- had di2 (vs the cables in the front of her mechanical set)
- more aero frame
- ditched the water bottle (she didn't drink from it once the final 8k)
- rode aero position vs in drop bars

would that have given her the extra few seconds she needed?

i know 8k is not a lot of pavement, but every little bit counts, right? is it possible?

I think critizing pro men for equipment choices is more acceptable because they tend to have access to what ever equipement there sponsor tends to make. The women tend not to have the same access, so they have less of a choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
are you suuuuuure about di2?
Campagnolo EPS. To be fair, James Haycraft said electronic shifting, didn't mention brand

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out the weekend doing a bunch of training before some big stage races and just watched the mens and womens races. A few thoughts in no particular order:

1. The descent was not dangerous at all, some people just used poor judgement and it cost them the race. I see no negligence or issue at all.
2. Why the 10k run in to the finish? Sort or negates the climb to an extent, but also adds a different dynamic, so who knows.
3. I personally find GVA's performance one of the most "questionable" performances of recent time. When your own country suggested you be banned for doping a few yeas ago you know the guy is not clean. I mean come on people look at the list of premium climbers who were dropped and yet he was able to hang on? Still an exciting race in the end.
4. Cancellara was ripping things up again, very impressive.
5. Froome is quickly exposed without his sky entourage
6. Thomas was incredibly impressive for hanging in the front group.
7. Porte once again cannot catch a break
8. I don't think Sagan would have been a factor, people keep saying he would have been fine if GVA could make it, but i doubt that. Top 10 possibly, but GVA produced a 1/1,000,000 performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
i'm surprised no one has brought this up yet.. so i will:

abbot was doing a pretty darn good job holding them off. she had about 8k where she really had to have a solid solo effort.

a few things i thought (and i would love some ST engineering/mathematics here):

if she had:
- longer sleeves on her arm (hers were extremely short compared to the other girls)
- more aero helmet (was hers the most aero?)
- had di2 (vs the cables in the front of her mechanical set)
- more aero frame
- ditched the water bottle (she didn't drink from it once the final 8k)
- rode aero position vs in drop bars

would that have given her the extra few seconds she needed?

i know 8k is not a lot of pavement, but every little bit counts, right? is it possible?

I think critizing pro men for equipment choices is more acceptable because they tend to have access to what ever equipement there sponsor tends to make. The women tend not to have the same access, so they have less of a choice.

i guess Majka and Abbot could have practiced doing IAB. Last 5k of Majka's solo ride was particularly painful to watch. probably would still have been caught, but you never know
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

indeed, some of the men went further still and used non-sponsor product as they can afford it personally or through other arrangements that the higher profile men can get. non-team sponsor wheels were common - aru and kwiatkowski on lightweights, froome on enve to name a few that i'm aware of. interesting that is 2 of 3 from sky - shimano are their wheel sponsors with new dura ace wheels just launched...

women probably don't get much in the way of advice on the best equipment to use either - a combination of that they don't get so many options and the lack of support to educate even within what options they have

regardless, it is always interesting to second guess these things after the fact. as a climber, maybe she focussed on lightweight to get away on the climb rather than thinking about how she would then stay away after that
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some thoughts on your thoughts, several of them interrelated,:
- i can't comment on whether the descent was dangerous without seeing/riding it myself but there sure were a lot of crashes and many of them resulted in serious injuries thanks to the unforgiving road edge
- the flat run to the finish is what made the race exciting rather than a W/Kg test, just everyone seemed to miss this in the leadup. the flat and cobbles earlier also helped the less climbing oriented riders, there was even a bit of cross-wind action. a race that can be won different ways by different riders. i think it would be really interesting to see how that course would play out if used regularly for top races
- plenty of people in that race have actually been banned before, for some logic i don't fully understand only the russians were barred on the basis of past sins
- cancellara being relatively high up shows that it wasn't all about climbing. he sure is impressive though, will be interesting to see what he can do in a TT that doesn't suit him
- it just wasn't froome's sort of race in either terrain or tactics. can expect him to show well on his own in the TT
- thomas is perhaps the ideal rider for that sort of race - classics man but can climb with the gc guys when hes at his best like last year but not this year. last years thomas might have won this.
- porte unfortunately did catch a break, just an unlucky one
- who knows what sagan could have done, probably better than i expect he will in the mtb but that will be interesting to see too
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Out the weekend doing a bunch of training before some big stage races and just watched the mens and womens races. A few thoughts in no particular order:

1. The descent was not dangerous at all, some people just used poor judgement and it cost them the race. I see no negligence or issue at all. Wow you were in the race? How did you do?
2. Why the 10k run in to the finish? Sort or negates the climb to an extent, but also adds a different dynamic, so who knows. One word: Ipanema
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
chaparral wrote:

indeed, some of the men went further still and used non-sponsor product as they can afford it personally or through other arrangements that the higher profile men can get. non-team sponsor wheels were common - aru and kwiatkowski on lightweights, froome on enve to name a few that i'm aware of. interesting that is 2 of 3 from sky - shimano are their wheel sponsors with new dura ace wheels just launched...

women probably don't get much in the way of advice on the best equipment to use either - a combination of that they don't get so many options and the lack of support to educate even within what options they have

regardless, it is always interesting to second guess these things after the fact. as a climber, maybe she focussed on lightweight to get away on the climb rather than thinking about how she would then stay away after that

even with the campy eps, damn, there is a lot of brake cable showing. a cleaner front setup would be nice.

i understand all the politics and funding behind the womans team. it's just sad. you figured their sponsors would give them the best equipment for race day.

-just checked colnago's site. not a single frame has a clean brake cable setup... i guess they gave her the best she had. i don't understand why more american teams don't go and try to sponsor american riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

1. The descent was not dangerous at all, some people just used poor judgement and it cost them the race. I see no negligence or issue at all. Wow you were in the race? How did you do?
2. Why the 10k run in to the finish? Sort or negates the climb to an extent, but also adds a different dynamic, so who knows. One word: Ipanema

I don't need to be in a race to comment on a stretch of road that clearly 98% of people had no problem navigating but a small few struggled because they were pushing the limits and or poor handling. Dangerous is something over the top or clearly posing posing a risk to riders, this was neither.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright lets give the predictions one last crack, who does everyone have for the TTs? I'm going full homer mode, AvdB and Dumoulin. Minor medals for Stevens, Moolman, and Froome, Kiriyenka on the mens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oef, heavy wind and rain. All bets are off. Could see some big surprises in the TT today. Just hope no serious crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy that Armstrong knocked Zabelinskaya off the top step. But van Dijk! Wtf... She went off road uphill, dismounted and got back, that was AT LEAST 15s lost. Would have been a medal for sure, at the cost of van der Breggen prob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some early observations for the mens tt: craven haha, just road bike, nothing fancy. Looks like a tourist commmercial in some closeup shots ;) Vuillermoz...wtf? Focus road bike with clip ons. France /ag2r on hard times?

Roads have dried up a little bit, thankfully. Wind still blowing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll come and give you some company :-)

Fantastic even as a non-American to see Armstrong winning 3 in a row. That's a hell of an achievement and gives hope to me that I'm not completely past it at only 41 years of age!

Men's TT going to be fascinating. Think the winds could give the heavier riders like Cancellara and Martin a chance? Think that Dumoulin might struggle with his wrist given a fairly technical course. Always thought Froome seemed like a very GC TTer not an Olympic or World champion TTer, but with this course and the form of his rivals he's got a very good shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha thanks ;) yeah with Froome I'm wondering if he is better or worse at longer TTs, like these at 50k with some elevation. We've all seen the TdF TT's, but they were almost tailormade for him. I can't recall what the course was like in London.. Of course Froome has come quite a way since then.

Agree on the Armstrong performance, looked like she was dying at second time check but reeled it in in the last section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
London course went within 50m of my house so I remember it well! Pretty flat course, some rollers but nothing that would really class as a hill, even in the UK. Would have been perfect for Martin/Cancellara, but from memory the former was nursing a broken wrist from the TdF, and the latter crashed in the Olympic Road Race. So Froome's medal was probably a little bit flattering, and even at the time I remember being surprised that he'd beaten Phinney.

I'm not sure how much Froome has come along since then, at least in terms of raw speed. Obviously has stepped up in terms of responsibility, and his tactical and race awareness has improved hugely, but not sure he's any faster on a TT now than he was 4 years ago. Maybe a better bike handler now which could help him on this course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching on cycling Hub, stupid xfinity/comcast account wont let me sign in on my work computer.
Same commentators for me as the road race watching online.

Rain should make things intertesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
she turns 43 tomorrow, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
she turns 43 tomorrow, actually.

I'm sure she'll be having an awesome birthday celebration then! I've still got nearly 9 months of being 41 to enjoy, but suspect by the next Olympics the only athletes older than me will be the equestrian riders and fencers :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Alright lets give the predictions one last crack, who does everyone have for the TTs? I'm going full homer mode, AvdB and Dumoulin. Minor medals for Stevens, Moolman, and Froome, Kiriyenka on the mens.

Dumoulin, Froome, Coppel

The damn thing is long, like 1hr 20 min. Contador would have done well here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do they decide the start order? Saw somewhere that Froome goes last based on GB (Wiggins) winning the last Olympics, but on that basis how come Dumoulin gets to go later than Martin who finished second in London? Is there some sort of pecking order between reigning Olympic champion, winner of TdF ITT (Dumoulin), World TT Champion (Kiryienka)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the lady announcer just say they were rung a 55/36 upfront? Wonder how that shifting is....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancellara fastest through first check so far, Martin already well down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Martin also has some rain hitting him that Fabian didn't have. Some of the roads are noticeably wetter now than they were, will be interesting to see how it affects the riders at the end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next