Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I guess I was not clear. But even with that you answered the question.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you consider a greater accomplishment...winning Canda twice or win the much more prestigous Niantic Bay Triathlon twice?? :)

seriously, been wanting to ask this one for a while....have you ever considered writing a book? Im thinking in terms of a technical guide to triathlon, not just another training book where people tell you how many miles to run each week with the standard section on nutrition and weights or whatever. I mean a book in which you discuss perhaps aerodynamics, the debate of clinchers versus tubulars, maybe things like why stretching is useless...that sort of thing. It would be refreshing to have such a book out there.

Thanks and best of luck in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
What do you consider a greater accomplishment...winning Canda twice or win the much more prestigous Niantic Bay Triathlon twice?? :)

seriously, been wanting to ask this one for a while....have you ever considered writing a book? Im thinking in terms of a technical guide to triathlon, not just another training book where people tell you how many miles to run each week with the standard section on nutrition and weights or whatever. I mean a book in which you discuss perhaps aerodynamics, the debate of clinchers versus tubulars, maybe things like why stretching is useless...that sort of thing. It would be refreshing to have such a book out there.

Thanks and best of luck in the future.

I won Niantic Bay three times... First race I ever won. First time I ever won any money either, as the 2nd year, they had ~$100 for the winner IIRC. Fond memories! :D

I've thought about it. But I figure I've got some races to win first... In the meantime, that's sort of the focus of my column in LAVA. And, when I get some extra time (rarely) the focus of technical article on Slowtwitch. But only 24hrs in the day. I'd love to someday. I just can't imagine it someday soon...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great race, Jordan.

Which shoes did you run in? I assume they were a prototype but if you can, will you share the basic description of them?

ZOOT ULTRA Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [mancona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancona wrote:
Congrats on the great race, Jordan.

Which shoes did you run in? I assume they were a prototype but if you can, will you share the basic description of them?

It's a prototype. The sole is, currently, just a normal sole from the Ultra Speed. The rest of the shoe is all new though. It is, for the record, actually lighter than the Ultra Speed, despite being a shoe with laces. That's all you'll get out of me for now.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing what you can. I can't wait to see what you, Dave, and the team came up with when it is the appropriate time.

ZOOT ULTRA Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, didn't know you were a "world champion" - I guess somebody lost control over a marketing guy here: http://zootsports.com/...n=090611_Jordan_Rapp

Very nice pics ...
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [swimslikeabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimslikeabike wrote:
Hi, didn't know you were a "world champion" - I guess somebody lost control over a marketing guy here: http://zootsports.com/...n=090611_Jordan_Rapp

Very nice pics ...

Oh boy... I better get that fixed. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan sorry if you mentioned before , but
-where are your calories on the bike? I can't see the nor the M&M's container for saltabs or the 4x Gu Roctanes gels you mentioned.
-All I can see is , virtue bottle on frame, regular bottle in between bars and possibly a saltstick dispenser attached to extension.

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri@PUR wrote:
Hey Jordan sorry if you mentioned before , but
-where are your calories on the bike? I can't see the nor the M&M's container for saltabs or the 4x Gu Roctanes gels you mentioned.
-All I can see is , virtue bottle on frame, regular bottle in between bars and possibly a saltstick dispenser attached to extension.

On the bike, I carry my saltstick capsules in two of the regular, large saltsticks (carry 6 salt pills each). The vials for the saltstick caps are only for the run.

I probably already ate the gels, but even if I hadn't, you probably wouldn't be able to see them. I put them in places where they are, generally, hidden from the wind. If you could see them, that'd be a bad thing, because the wind could probably also then see them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I probably already ate the gels, but even if I hadn't, you probably wouldn't be able to see them. I put them in places where they are, generally, hidden from the wind. If you could see them, that'd be a bad thing, because the wind could probably also then see them.

Nature's pocket is indeed, the most aerodynamic way to carry supplies...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Rappstar,

Excuse me if this is redundant, but I remember you saying after the accident that you'd be riding on the trainer more. Much more. Has this been the case for both your IMAZ and IMC builds (or riding in general)?

If so, what have YOU learned about riding on the trainer, especially for long rides. Any tips or thoughts on how you make it work for yourself?

Thanks,

Alex M.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
Dear Rappstar,

Excuse me if this is redundant, but I remember you saying after the accident that you'd be riding on the trainer more. Much more. Has this been the case for both your IMAZ and IMC builds (or riding in general)?

If so, what have YOU learned about riding on the trainer, especially for long rides. Any tips or thoughts on how you make it work for yourself?

Thanks,

Alex M.

I rode it more in the winter and especially on days when I felt that visibility would be a big risk - really rainy days, etc. But mostly I ended up riding the MTB a lot more. I love riding outside. If I couldn't enjoy that, I would have found a new career. I haven't ridden on the trainer since January. I hate it. I've tried to be more cautious, and on days when that necessitated the trainer, it necessitated the trainer. But I never chose to ride the trainer because I was, simply, afraid to go outside for no other reason that it was outside.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

You seem to be a "regular" at both Arizona and Canada, but have you ever thought about venturing east (or abroad) to do an IM race? Is that by design or do those races just fit in better with your schedule? Would love to see you out on the course at a race like IMLou or Florida.

Thanks,

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'd do awesome at France with all the climbing and the long hot flat run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
Jordan,

You seem to be a "regular" at both Arizona and Canada, but have you ever thought about venturing east (or abroad) to do an IM race? Is that by design or do those races just fit in better with your schedule? Would love to see you out on the course at a race like IMLou or Florida.

Thanks,

Brian

Two primary reasons. The first is scheduling-wise, I believe that the late season IM leads to an appropriate and well designed schedule. But that's not really the BIG reason. I clearly have a schedule that works around these races. And that's nice to have for reasons of confidence, though I certainly think I can change and adapt and do just fine with other races, but it is nice to know that I have a schedule that works (though, ironically, my schedule leading into Canada this year was actually pretty different than in 2009). I guess it's more that I know I can be fit to win an Ironman in late Aug / Nov. So that's a factor.

The second and biggest reason is that I think that loyalty is important to me. I've raced in Arizona four times. This will be my fifth time. I think people - athletes, local spectators, etc - have started to associate me with that race. In Canada, it's definitely the case, because it's magnified by the fact that I live in Penticton. But I feel like those two races are "my" races. And I think that people like and respect that. And I think that's important, because I think that, to some extent, the races and athletes and spectators can feel like this guy is "our" athlete. I think the ownership goes both ways. I feel a sense of ownership in the races, and I like to think that races have a sense of ownership of me. This is such a journeyman sport, that I think part of the reasons people don't really know who pros are (outside of the Kona winners) is because you don't see them year to year. So I like to think that my choosing to do a lot of the same races year after year results in some familiarity. And I think that's a good thing for everyone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
All of my 'speedos' have had a seam that hits right on my taint. I have been concerned that things might get pretty well chafed down there if using one under my racing shorts/uni. Clearly, this has not been a problem for you. What brand of 'speedo' do you use and does it have a seam down there?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
Jordan,
All of my 'speedos' have had a seam that hits right on my taint. I have been concerned that things might get pretty well chafed down there if using one under my racing shorts/uni. Clearly, this has not been a problem for you. What brand of 'speedo' do you use and does it have a seam down there?

It's a prototype Kiwami speedo with a pad. I used to use an old Orca one with a pad. There are still some aussie companies that make padded speedos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. And, again, nice job. I hope your wife and baby are doing well.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say that you race with minimal padding (brief) and it works for you. Do you train in a similar pad or do you train in full padded bibs/shorts?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [csturgeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csturgeon wrote:
You say that you race with minimal padding (brief) and it works for you. Do you train in a similar pad or do you train in full padded bibs/shorts?

I train in regular bibs. I definitely find good bibs more comfortable. But definitely not worth the time it would take to put them on in T1 and take them off in T2; well, at least not worth it to me...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Mr Rapp

how do you come up with CP?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bruno82 wrote:

Mr Rapp

how do you come up with CP?

I ride my bike a LOT. While I know that isn't necessarily the most helpful answer, it's also the most honest. I've ridden for almost seven years with a powermeter, logging over 50,000 miles of rides with power in that time. You want to get really good at knowing your CP, that's the most sure fire way. There are other ways relying on tests, software, etc. But I think that there's no substitute for experience. I had a talk with Hunter Allen about this at Interbike, and he agreed. Just no better "tool" than mileage with a powermeter...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

what i meant to say is: what is CP?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Critical Power.

Basically below that power and you can ride for quite a long time without slowing down. When you go above that power - sustainable duration decreases in an exponential like fashion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next