Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rapp you mentioned you leave the 808's on the TT bike for training. Is this your race set with 21 tubies or do you have a clincher training set of 808's that you train on?

I have used the Stans mix in tubies. It stays liquid for a long time. Nice to have that peace of mind for race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [mcdeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcdeve wrote:
do you think tire width makes any difference in regards to flat protection? my initial thoughts were no, but a guy at ace day wheels was telling me they stopped using the tangente 21 because they had more flats with it then the 23.

It could, in theory, make a difference. Here is why - a larger tire is run at lower pressure (marginally). Or, at least, it should be. As a result, the wider tire has a larger contact patch. As a result, if you roll over something that might puncture your tire, the force is SLIGHTLY lower, perhaps lower enough to make a difference with regards to flatting.

Likewise with pinch flatting, wider tires have more air volume, and offer greater vertical compliance. So they, theoretically, should offer marginally higher protection against pinch flats by allowing more travel until the tube would end up being pinched such that it punctures.

How does that actually work out in practice? I don't know. Testing how likely a tire is to flat is very inexact. I know that plenty people run narrow tires and do just fine with them. I'd say inadequate pressure (both too high and too low) for a given width is a bigger problem than needing a wider tire.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [AG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG wrote:
Rapp you mentioned you leave the 808's on the TT bike for training. Is this your race set with 21 tubies or do you have a clincher training set of 808's that you train on?

I have used the Stans mix in tubies. It stays liquid for a long time. Nice to have that peace of mind for race day.

I have a set of 808 FC CC for training. Brake track width is the same on CC and tubular, which is nice because it means I don't have to adjust the front brake on the Shiv when putting on race wheels (super9 is slightly wider than 808 FC), which is really nice.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I'd honestly love to do XTerra. But I'm a pretty crappy mountain biker going downhill. I'm a scaredy cat. I like going uphill a lot though. I need an XTerra with an EASY bike course...

I understand the Nat'l Championship course in Ogden, UT is 20km straight uphill. You should show up and [try to] DOMINATE that!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

A quick follow up on tire width. So does weight play an issue in the tire width on the back? I was planning a 21 front and 23 back for a 808 FC tubular wheel set. At 165 lbs, would that make a difference in the width? Would it be better to run a 21/21?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So my training plan is HIS intellectual property, not mine, which means I can't - or at least won't - share it"

Out of curiosity, is this what IP Law says? I.e. between a 'consultant' and a 'client', who owns the 'stuff'?

Also, congrats on the win Rappstar.
Last edited by: kev train: Sep 5, 11 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for Jordan about IMC'11 - Has RD/Volunteer Coordinator Laura Carleton(canvolunteers@nasports.com) made a decision about compensating athletes whose race times may have been affected by water shortages on bike/run courses? If yes would you kindly inform Sister Madonna(W80+). Sister M apparently has requested her entry fee for IMC'12 be waived so that she can attempt(for the third time) opening up the 80+ age group for women. Penticton Herald reporter said she missed bike cutoff by less than a minute. If she gets no fee entry then, in the interests of fair play, every other athlete affected should also have this outcome to sad situation on race day.
Her e-mail address is sistermadbud@yahoo.com
Thx. JB
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [60 something] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you might be taking the 'anything' part of the post title too literally...
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No......I am usually quite successful engaging the goodwill of triathletes when it comes to old timer Sister M. JB
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [60 something] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may be, but you are still putting the guy on the spot in a very public way, on a topic that, IMHO, is well outside the spirit of this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the spirit of the thread" is important....thank-you for bringing that detail to my attention and please accept my apology if my post was not appropriate. I met Jordan at a Subaru event a few years ago, introduced myself as Gordo's Mum and had a very brief chat. At that time he was open and approachable. Has he asked you to comment on his behalf? There are others who can respond who might not feel put on the spot. Again thx for your input. I actually felt "put on the spot" by Sister Madonna and that was before I had any info on the water detail. That came after I read the Letters to the Editor/Penticton Herald. Maybe someone should delete my post. Can you do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 something wrote:
"the spirit of the thread" is important....thank-you for bringing that detail to my attention and please accept my apology if my post was not appropriate. I met Jordan at a Subaru event a few years ago, introduced myself as Gordo's Mum and had a very brief chat. At that time he was open and approachable. Has he asked you to comment on his behalf? There are others who can respond who might not feel put on the spot. Again thx for your input. I actually felt "put on the spot" by Sister Madonna and that was before I had any info on the water detail. That came after I read the Letters to the Editor/Penticton Herald. Maybe someone should delete my post. Can you do that?

No, I'm not in any way speaking for Jordan (he is more than capable of doing that for himself), and you certainly don't owe me an apology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are very polite thank-you. I sincerely hope that this matter is resolved to the satisfaction of all athletes and their support people. The discussion here at ST helps everybody. That is only my opinion and I hope it does not offend anyone.
A bientot from Canada. JB
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing Yoda wrote:
Jordan,

A quick follow up on tire width. So does weight play an issue in the tire width on the back? I was planning a 21 front and 23 back for a 808 FC tubular wheel set. At 165 lbs, would that make a difference in the width? Would it be better to run a 21/21?

Thanks.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Weight distribution will always play a role in how a given tire size "responds." I'm not really sure how to interpret your question, which basically says, "does my weight affect width?" At 165lbs, I will say that you should be fine on 21/21. But 23/23 would still offer more vertical compliance. Comfort, handling, etc. are all very personal. My best advice would be to try both and see if you have a strong "feel" perspective for 23s. If you don't, run the 21s, because they will be more aerodynamic. Does that help at all?

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [kev train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kev train wrote:
"So my training plan is HIS intellectual property, not mine, which means I can't - or at least won't - share it"

Out of curiosity, is this what IP Law says? I.e. between a 'consultant' and a 'client', who owns the 'stuff'?

Speaking generally, it depends on the contract. In my first contract with a coach - Joel Filliol - he had a specific section stating that the contents of the training plan was his IP, that I could not share it without permission, etc. I don't have a written contract with my current coach, but I believe that my contract with Joel was in the true spirit of coach/athlete relationship, and so I've abided by it with my current coach as well. I.e., when I read the contract from Joel, I thought, "that seems 'right.'" And so I respect the fundamentals of it with Michael.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [kev train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kev train wrote:
Rappstar said "So my training plan is HIS intellectual property, not mine, which means I can't - or at least won't - share it"

kev train asked Out of curiosity, is this what IP Law says? I.e. between a 'consultant' and a 'client', who owns the 'stuff'?

I am not an IP lawyer, I have only read many contracts, or purchase/sale agreements and terms. It all depends on the terms of sale.
Here are three types:
- rent for personal use (such as day to day coach consulting)
- buy for personal use (such as a purchased written training plan)
- buy to own the rights to all uses including reproduction, redistribution and resale.

Think of it like Movies, you can rent them for personal consumption for a period of time, or you can buy them for personal use, but you cannot make and sell copies of them without buying the rights to do so. I speculate that Jordan's situation is all for personal use, with no rights to copy and redistribute.
Other types of consultant and client situations might be different.
Last edited by: Cheesy Bottom: Sep 5, 11 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 something wrote:
Question for Jordan about IMC'11 - Has RD/Volunteer Coordinator Laura Carleton(canvolunteers@nasports.com) made a decision about compensating athletes whose race times may have been affected by water shortages on bike/run courses? If yes would you kindly inform Sister Madonna(W80+). Sister M apparently has requested her entry fee for IMC'12 be waived so that she can attempt(for the third time) opening up the 80+ age group for women. Penticton Herald reporter said she missed bike cutoff by less than a minute. If she gets no fee entry then, in the interests of fair play, every other athlete affected should also have this outcome to sad situation on race day.
Her e-mail address is sistermadbud@yahoo.com
Thx. JB

Not to my knowledge. And, to some extent, I can understand why. I would wager that if they offered some compensation/refund/comp'ed entry/etc., that everyone who DNF'ed (except for the obvious folks who missed the swim cut off), any of them could claim that it was a result of the water shortages. With 300ish athletes not finishing, that's a substantial amount of money. I won't pretend to know how that would affect the race, but I do think that it's reasonable to hold back from offering a refund. I would, however, also consider it reasonable and magnanimous if they decided to offer a refund. It would clearly generate huge goodwill to do so, and I think it would be great if they did. I do not, however, think that it's necessary. It's a value judgement, I think, and I don't think there's a clear right/wrong on this one.

In my brief encounters with her, Sister Madonna strikes me as someone who has no trouble speaking her mind or following up on what she wants. I will leave that issue between her and the race, as that's where I believe it belongs. I laud Sister Madonna for her courage, and if the race wants to compensate or otherwise make amends/arrangements, that's their business. I would not fault them either way. I see the benefits on both sides. It's an asset to have Sister Madonna at the race. And, yet, I wonder if showing her "special treatment" is also not necessarily in the spirit of the equality.

And you don't have to feel bad about asking me or putting me on the spot. I would say this question is hardly the toughest question I've been asked. And I'm certain it won't be the most controversial answer that I will give on this thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sister M needs to understand that god wanted water to run out at the aid stations and move on.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Sister M needs to understand that god wanted water to run out at the aid stations and move on.

It was a test. Only in retrospect through the writings of someone several hundred years later will we know if she passed...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe god wanted discussion....ever think of that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just blew my mind!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No right or wrong. Stats on compensation protocols from other events might be interesting. Met with Sister M and mutual friend in Penticton. I did not request interview. Lew Hollander(M80+)gets no special treatment. Saw you come across finish - fun to witness after much hard work on your part....well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you always race with a speedo under your suit? Where did that come from and what is it for?

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team