Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
Did you have sex the night before the race?

No, I did not. Please, for my wife's sake, no one ask how far in advance of the race we did. I would be totally okay with answering that, because it's not something that I think is necessarily revealing in any substantive way. But I know my wife wouldn't want that. So, I will answer that question, and I'll ask that be as far as that particular line of questioning goes. Thanks.

Well...since Quentin is just over 2 months old now, I guess we can narrow it down to sometime between 11 months and 1 day before the race ;-)

Say "Hi" to Jill for me :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
In other words, I think that WTC should make Kona the equivalent of the Daytona 500, and that the World Championships should be held, sometimes in Kona, sometimes in Frankfurt, sometimes in Canada, etc..."

That seems like a perfectly brilliant thing to do. Increases exposure for non-Kona IM's when they host the World Championship, while allowing us slow age-groupers to do Kona on non-WC years.

And to echo the many other posters...congrats on the win!
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bcagle259] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle259 wrote:
I was curious to know how racing the Leadman Tri being such a large volume day impacted your training for the summer leading into IMC. Did it help you build off from? Improve your base? Any comments to share about Leadman and your training after?

What size cassette did you use on Sunday, and is that the same size you use for all IM's are do you use specific cassettes based on the course?

It's hard to quantify the effects of a single event like Leadman or any other race. I think that the big benefit came from doing two races - Abu Dhabi and Leadman - that were both bike intensive. It was being PREPARED for races like that that was really the big boost. The only real benefit that I can trace directly to the race was that I *knew* what I was capable of. As with Wildflower in '09, when you feel good, it easier to have those sort of breakthrough performances, because you are willing to push your body and see what you are capable. That makes it easier, on the days when don't feel good, to know that you can do it. At Leadman, I think I really realized how fit I was on the bike. And even though I actually felt better on the bike at Leadman than at IMC, I knew the fitness was there at IMC and that gave me the confidence to push. An Ironman isn't the time when you really want to find out, "can I hold these watts?" But it's also hard to truly simulate an Ironman in training (you need to stop for aid; transitions are shorter; and, of course, there isn't the stimulus of racing) even if you were to swim 3.8km before hand and then go ride 180km, which I don't do, because it's not necessary, in my mind, and because there would still be some very key elements missing. But, when you have a race like Leadman where you can take some risks both because of the unique nature of the race and how I just happened to feel on the day, that's the sort of even that really helps you answer, definitively, "can I hold this power/pace/etc?"

I used an 11-23. That's what I'd run for pretty much every Ironman course I've seen. For Arizona, I'd would prefer an 11-21. I can't think of any courses where I'd want an 11-26; maybe Embrunman?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
Jordan, no questions, just wanted to say congrats for the win and treating everyone at the finish line with a hamburger!

Not helping my line but helps finish the day :)

Cheers

Thanks Marc! You are most welcome. And I think your "line" looks pretty good. :D

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Landyachtz wrote:
So I think you've said before that your plan was to come in to the 30th anniversary of IMC as the defending champ. Is that still your plan regardless of what happens at ITU LD worlds and IMAZ? At what point are you going to shift focus to Kona and what do you feel you need to improve on to get to a point where you feel like you can compete for the win there?

Second question: does your cadence on the bike vary depending on what distance you're racing? Do you think its a result of your rowing career that you prefer a lower cadence? Or is that just a function of the distance?

Congrats again on the win. I'll be up at the turnaround at IMAZ cheering you on in November.

I think it is, though I'm trying not to focus too much on next year since I still have some big goals for this year. In my most ideal world, I'll *NEVER* have to shift my focus to Kona. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't race Kona, or even make it a priority, but I believe that the singular focus of this sport on a single race that is controlled by a for-profit entity that makes decisions based on that status is a bad thing. In other words, WTC could decide to do basically *anything* with that race, and no one could say anything.

Look at this way - the only race that really, really allows to "make it" as a long course triathlete is a race, late in the year, in relatively hot relatively humid conditions, that's relatively flat and relatively windy, with an ocean swim, etc. What I mean is that it NEVER changes. I can think of several corollaries in other sports - The Masters, which is always played at Augusta. Or the Daytona or Indy 500 or Le Mans in auto racing. Or Wimbledon/US Open/French Open in tennis. But in every other case where there is a single event that is of significance, it is neither the overall championship (in the case of NASCAR, Daytona is one of the first races of the year, and has no special impact on who wins the overall series) nor is it the only "championship" (such as with golf with the four Majors or tennis with the Grand Slams).

Simply put, I think the way our sport exists currently, with ALL roads leading to Kona is a very, very bad thing. I would be unhappy if I never raced Kona. However, I would not at all be unhappy if I never raced The Ironman World Championships in Kona. In other words, I think that WTC should make Kona the equivalent of the Daytona 500, and that the World Championships should be held, sometimes in Kona, sometimes in Frankfurt, sometimes in Canada, etc. Or they should make it like Wimbledon, with equal calibre races at Germany and some other locations, and perhaps not necessarily have a "World Champion" for pros.

Right now, if you win Kona, you get huge media attention. But if you finish 2nd or 3rd, you basically get nothing. You might get some attention if people think you have a good chance of winning the next year, such as Andreas Raelert, but look at Cameron Brown, who's been on the podium four times. He's finished 2nd twice and 3rd twice. But, especially in 2005 when he finished 2nd, I think he got very little exposure from that. And I think it's because people didn't seem to have the same sense that they do with Andreas Raelert that it was "inevitable" that Cameron would win.

Simply put, WTC has far too much control over the trajectory of a successful long course pro career. And I do not like that, in large part because they haven't necessarily shown that they make decisions with very much regard for how that influence affects pro athletes. Obviously, the ITU also makes drastic decisions - such as the shift to the WCS system - that can have huge impacts as well, but in that case, you have a IGB, that must respond to NGB, etc. There's a formal and normal and logical way to protest and address changes, etc. In other words, there's a system in place with some checks and balances.

None of this exists with WTC. WTC decided to drop the number of pro slots to 50 men and 30 women this year. There was some very minimal "discussion" (and I use the term loosely) about this, but basically, they decided that this was the way it was going to be and that was that. That same sort of decision couldn't happen with something like the ITU. National Federations would protest. And they have leverage. I have zero leverage.

Right now, everyone complains about this, but in the end, the best athletes all go race Kona. But what it they didn't? What if Crowie and Raelert and Lieto and Vanhoenaker all decided to work with Felix Walschoffer and to all race Challenge Roth. And to NOT race Kona? Sure, Kona still have the right to be called the World Championship, but tell me who you think the best athlete in the world would be? Many folks say, for example, that ITU LD World's is not a meaningful World Championship because the best long distance athletes don't race it. But whose fault is that? Some if it falls on the ITU, for not making it a race of significance. But some of it falls on the athletes for not making a race of significance.

Dan and I had a conversation along these lines a while back. He wrote something to me that I hadn't considered really. He said that Kona is the birthplace of this sport, and that WTC wasn't just the owners of that race, they were STEWARDS of it. And that, as stewards, they had an obligation to leave it better off than they found it. And I think that's true. And I don't necessarily think they've done a good job of that. However, I also think that, as a person who makes his living as a result of this sport, I *also* have an obligation to leave this sport better than I found it. And I don't believe that just putting that typical focus on Kona is doing a good job there either. I think Challenge is leaving this sport better than they found it. I think Rev3 is doing the same. I think Lifetime Fitness is as well. And I think WTC has the most enormous ability to do so if they choose to.

But in my ideal world, I'd like to see this sport - for pros - grow beyond a single race on the Big Island in October. And if I can facilitate that in some small way, I'd like to do so.

I'm sure that was more than you wanted, but it's something that is particularly important to me.

."

Jordan, Tim Carlson, Dan, the three of you need to work together to take this content from this post and convert it into a front page article. Please don't let this well thought out response sit in the forum where only a few hundred people will read it (not everyone reads every post) buried in a thread about IMC. When you put this on your front page, it will not just be read there, but also pushed out on your newsletter. I really don't think that most involved in the sport are thinking about "how to leave the sport better than they found it" and that message deserves to be more widely disseminated than just here on this thread. Please consider this request.

x2 Totally agree, and congratulations Jordan on your win. Keep up the positive role model, there are not that many left =)
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think it is, though I'm trying not to focus too much on next year since I still have some big goals for this year. In my most ideal world, I'll *NEVER* have to shift my focus to Kona. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't race Kona, or even make it a priority, but I believe that the singular focus of this sport on a single race that is controlled by a for-profit entity that makes decisions based on that status is a bad thing. In other words, WTC could decide to do basically *anything* with that race, and no one could say anything.

Look at this way - the only race that really, really allows to "make it" as a long course triathlete is a race, late in the year, in relatively hot relatively humid conditions, that's relatively flat and relatively windy, with an ocean swim, etc. What I mean is that it NEVER changes. I can think of several corollaries in other sports - The Masters, which is always played at Augusta. Or the Daytona or Indy 500 or Le Mans in auto racing. Or Wimbledon/US Open/French Open in tennis. But in every other case where there is a single event that is of significance, it is neither the overall championship (in the case of NASCAR, Daytona is one of the first races of the year, and has no special impact on who wins the overall series) nor is it the only "championship" (such as with golf with the four Majors or tennis with the Grand Slams).

Simply put, I think the way our sport exists currently, with ALL roads leading to Kona is a very, very bad thing. I would be unhappy if I never raced Kona. However, I would not at all be unhappy if I never raced The Ironman World Championships in Kona. In other words, I think that WTC should make Kona the equivalent of the Daytona 500, and that the World Championships should be held, sometimes in Kona, sometimes in Frankfurt, sometimes in Canada, etc. Or they should make it like Wimbledon, with equal calibre races at Germany and some other locations, and perhaps not necessarily have a "World Champion" for pros.

Right now, if you win Kona, you get huge media attention. But if you finish 2nd or 3rd, you basically get nothing. You might get some attention if people think you have a good chance of winning the next year, such as Andreas Raelert, but look at Cameron Brown, who's been on the podium four times. He's finished 2nd twice and 3rd twice. But, especially in 2005 when he finished 2nd, I think he got very little exposure from that. And I think it's because people didn't seem to have the same sense that they do with Andreas Raelert that it was "inevitable" that Cameron would win.

Simply put, WTC has far too much control over the trajectory of a successful long course pro career. And I do not like that, in large part because they haven't necessarily shown that they make decisions with very much regard for how that influence affects pro athletes. Obviously, the ITU also makes drastic decisions - such as the shift to the WCS system - that can have huge impacts as well, but in that case, you have a IGB, that must respond to NGB, etc. There's a formal and normal and logical way to protest and address changes, etc. In other words, there's a system in place with some checks and balances.

None of this exists with WTC. WTC decided to drop the number of pro slots to 50 men and 30 women this year. There was some very minimal "discussion" (and I use the term loosely) about this, but basically, they decided that this was the way it was going to be and that was that. That same sort of decision couldn't happen with something like the ITU. National Federations would protest. And they have leverage. I have zero leverage.

Right now, everyone complains about this, but in the end, the best athletes all go race Kona. But what it they didn't? What if Crowie and Raelert and Lieto and Vanhoenaker all decided to work with Felix Walschoffer and to all race Challenge Roth. And to NOT race Kona? Sure, Kona still have the right to be called the World Championship, but tell me who you think the best athlete in the world would be? Many folks say, for example, that ITU LD World's is not a meaningful World Championship because the best long distance athletes don't race it. But whose fault is that? Some if it falls on the ITU, for not making it a race of significance. But some of it falls on the athletes for not making a race of significance.

Dan and I had a conversation along these lines a while back. He wrote something to me that I hadn't considered really. He said that Kona is the birthplace of this sport, and that WTC wasn't just the owners of that race, they were STEWARDS of it. And that, as stewards, they had an obligation to leave it better off than they found it. And I think that's true. And I don't necessarily think they've done a good job of that. However, I also think that, as a person who makes his living as a result of this sport, I *also* have an obligation to leave this sport better than I found it. And I don't believe that just putting that typical focus on Kona is doing a good job there either. I think Challenge is leaving this sport better than they found it. I think Rev3 is doing the same. I think Lifetime Fitness is as well. And I think WTC has the most enormous ability to do so if they choose to.

But in my ideal world, I'd like to see this sport - for pros - grow beyond a single race on the Big Island in October. And if I can facilitate that in some small way, I'd like to do so.

I'm sure that was more than you wanted, but it's something that is particularly important to me.

."
Jordan, Tim Carlson, Dan, the three of you need to work together to take this content from this post and convert it into a front page article. Please don't let this well thought out response sit in the forum where only a few hundred people will read it (not everyone reads every post) buried in a thread about IMC. When you put this on your front page, it will not just be read there, but also pushed out on your newsletter. I really don't think that most involved in the sport are thinking about "how to leave the sport better than they found it" and that message deserves to be more widely disseminated than just here on this thread. Please consider this request.

x3! Congrats Rappstar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To echo everyone else one more time, congratulations on the win and especially the new baby!

I believe I saw somewhere that you run a 53 up front, is that correct?

Also, how tall are you and what weight did you race at this past week? Is it pretty close to the weight you have been racing at? Does your weight fluctuate much in the week and few days leading up to the race? While I am trying to make sure that I am properly hydrated for the race, I often feel bloated and heavy the morning of the race, even if I carefully monitor food intake.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [el_slice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the win!

I think its amazing you were able to come back from that injury and compete within 2% +/- of your old abilities. Outside of rest and standard rehabilitation, what techniques do you attribute to getting yourself back into race shape?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [el_slice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el_slice wrote:
To echo everyone else one more time, congratulations on the win and especially the new baby!

Also, how tall are you and what weight did you race at this past week? Is it pretty close to the weight you have been racing at? Does your weight fluctuate much in the week and few days leading up to the race? While I am trying to make sure that I am properly hydrated for the race, I often feel bloated and heavy the morning of the race, even if I carefully monitor food intake.

I run a 54 front ring on my TT bike.

I'm 6'3". I was about 157. That's a bit heavier (maybe 2ish pounds) more than what I've weighed in the past. I don't really worry too much about it. I actually have no idea how much it fluctuates during race week; I don't weigh myself. Seems like unnecessary concern. Nothing I can do about it.

I think people spend way too much time trying to be "properly" hydrated and "properly" fueled and the process they follow bears little-to-no resemblance to what people do normally. Like, you don't drink a gallon of water to hydrate for your long ride, but I see people do that all the time before Ironmans. Look at what you are doing before a race that you don't do normally and stop doing that. People freak out. Ironman is just a REALLY long training day. So do what works in training. And that doesn't mean just during the race. It especially means before.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
Congratulations on the win!

I think its amazing you were able to come back from that injury and compete within 2% +/- of your old abilities. Outside of rest and standard rehabilitation, what techniques do you attribute to getting yourself back into race shape?

I wish I had a simple answer to this question, mostly because I think it'd be the most helpful to other people. But I don't really know. If someone had what seemed like good and reasonable advice, I gave it a try. But sometimes i was trying like 10 different suggestions at the same time - rehab exercises, modifications to diet, etc. it would have been great if I could have run my very best evaluation of each thing individually. I'm sure there are some things that I thought helped that had no real effect. But I think I did try to be as empirical as I could.

I guess my most simple advice was that I always looked for a solution. I was never willing to accept that something was a problem that I couldn't fix. I think that more than anything I thought that I could get back to race shape. Or, at least, that I was willing to give it a try, and if I couldn't, I was okay with that. I just was going to keep trying until I either made it back or simply ran out of options.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
el_slice wrote:

I run a 54 front ring on my TT bike.

I'm 6'3". I was about 157. That's a bit heavier (maybe 2ish pounds) more than what I've weighed in the past. I don't really worry too much about it. I actually have no idea how much it fluctuates during race week; I don't weigh myself. Seems like unnecessary concern. Nothing I can do about it.

I think people spend way too much time trying to be "properly" hydrated and "properly" fueled and the process they follow bears little-to-no resemblance to what people do normally. Like, you don't drink a gallon of water to hydrate for your long ride, but I see people do that all the time before Ironmans. Look at what you are doing before a race that you don't do normally and stop doing that. People freak out. Ironman is just a REALLY long training day. So do what works in training. And that doesn't mean just during the race. It especially means before.

Thank you for the reply. I have worked on approaching a race that way involving everything BUT my hydration. I guess it only makes sense to do the same thing with hydration.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your opinion on athletes purposely swimming over another swimmer during a triathlon?

I would not feel good about my race if I resorted to this behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great response, and I agree with the others that this should be an article on the front page.

I've thought for a long time that WTC needed to change how they did the pro races at Ironman and 70.3 and do something similar to the ITU WCS series. Obviously you couldn't do an entire series of Ironman races, but there are enough great minds involved in this sport that I'm sure someone could come up with a schedule of 140.6 and 70.3 races combined with a 70.3 WC and 140.6 WC. Has PROTA ever put together a formal proposal so that at the very least there is an alternative theory on paper? Do you think Andrew Messick has the intention of making a legitimate pro series? Sorry, I know this is getting a little off topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [TriBeer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer2 wrote:
What is your opinion on athletes purposely swimming over another swimmer during a triathlon?

I would not feel good about my race if I resorted to this behavior.

I can see no reason for someone to purposely swim over another person. Does it happen unintentionally? Of course. I am sure that I've done it, though I try to hold a clean line as best as I can. Swimming through water is faster than swimming through people.

However, I recognize that it's perhaps inevitable. Along those lines, I think that races should operate under idea of a "fixed supply," at least at certain races. I think that 3000 people at Ironman Canada is too many. However, I recognize that IMC is a profitable commodity. I would think that the if WTC wanted to generate more revenue from IMC, that the appropriate way to do so would be to increase the entry fee. Now, maybe that's not popular, but I think that popular races SHOULD be more expensive than unpopular races. Or, at the very least, I think that making popular races more expensive is a better way to generate more revenue at a given race than increasing the number of participants.

I don't know if WTC has conducted any focus groups or the like, but I'd think it'd be worth asking, "would you pay more money to have less people on the course?"

But, until the organizations manage that better, I think the onus is on athletes to respect their competitors. I would also not feel good about swimming over another swimmer in an effort to gain a few seconds. But I also hope that doesn't happen very often.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Your answer renews my faith in the sport. I would definitely pay more for lower numbers. I actually paid the foundation fee this year for Lake Placid. The size of these races are a concern.

I am very comfortable with OWS. My concern is for other swimmers with less confidence and who have worked hard to have a good race.

Again, thank you. You're a class act!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I think that 3000 people at Ironman Canada is too many. However, I recognize that IMC is a profitable commodity. I would think that the if WTC wanted to generate more revenue from IMC, that the appropriate way to do so would be to increase the entry fee. Now, maybe that's not popular, but I think that popular races SHOULD be more expensive than unpopular races. Or, at the very least, I think that making popular races more expensive is a better way to generate more revenue at a given race than increasing the number of participants.

Congrats on your win and having a solid race.

I did IMC in 2010 and while the swim was crowded, it was manageable. The biggest challenge that I found were the turns rather than the start.

How about just having another wave? Let the pros go at 6:30, men at 6:45 and women at 7:00? It would be easy for racers and the crowd to know which wave each athlete is in. They could place another clock at the finish line or have a second finishing chute.

I don't know if I agree with higher fees. I can afford it myself, but do we further want to limit entry of participants into the sport by creating even more financial barriers? This is the only long distance race in the region.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [vandave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vandave wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
I think that 3000 people at Ironman Canada is too many. However, I recognize that IMC is a profitable commodity. I would think that the if WTC wanted to generate more revenue from IMC, that the appropriate way to do so would be to increase the entry fee. Now, maybe that's not popular, but I think that popular races SHOULD be more expensive than unpopular races. Or, at the very least, I think that making popular races more expensive is a better way to generate more revenue at a given race than increasing the number of participants.

Congrats on your win and having a solid race.

I did IMC in 2010 and while the swim was crowded, it was manageable. The biggest challenge that I found were the turns rather than the start.

How about just having another wave? Let the pros go at 6:30, men at 6:45 and women at 7:00? It would be easy for racers and the crowd to know which wave each athlete is in. They could place another clock at the finish line or have a second finishing chute.

I don't know if I agree with higher fees. I can afford it myself, but do we further want to limit entry of participants into the sport by creating even more financial barriers? This is the only long distance race in the region.

I think the wave start thing is somewhat antithetical to Ironman, especially with the midnight cutoff. But would waves be worse than higher fees? I dunno. I certainly think it's worth having the discussion. My dad's an economist. If he was a philosopher, then maybe I'd propose something more equitable. But that's why I'm glad there are philosophers out there who propose the less "efficient" solutions. Takes all kinds. I think everyone wants the same thing - good, safe races that lots of people can enjoy and which bolster the community. And I'm sure that there are multiple ways to get there. What's the best? Danged if I know. I only know what I think might be best, but I absolutely think the idea of waves is also worthwhile. I just think that might lead to even MORE athletes on course...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey J-Rapp
Congratz again on your win!!

-Wanted to know in terms of position on the bike, how long do you think you maintained the aero position for IM length races vs HIM ? When do you stand up? stretch? tuck, etc? I ask because I saw some photos from IMC coming into aid stations and grabbing bottles while aero and last year during the IMAZ coverage on Universal you seemed to be on the base bar on some parts of the course, ie. Age groupper congested areas.

thanks!

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not follow IM racing at all, so I did not know this was going on until I was surfing on my wife's phone while we were driving. I am always happy to see when somebody that gets hit by a car is able to return to full health and competitiveness. Regardless of how many IMs you win, being able to ride a bike and have fun with your children (my 12-year old is starting to enjoy cycling more and more) is much more important than winning races. I am happy to see that you are back in business and racing hard.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

It was nice chatting with you at Whole Foods and volunteering I got to see and learn a lot from transition. I used that week as a high volume training week. My 4 rides were the bike course with Fleck and his bride, Peach to Green Mtn then to the top of Apex and back, laps around Munson Mtn and my favourite Peach out to McLeans Creek to Greenlake out by the observatory to Twin Lake then Yellowlake to Green Mtn and home.

What's your favourite ride out there?

My favourite run was around Skaha Lake.

What's your favourite run out there?

And finally how long did it take you to get used to going over those cattleguards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Jordan. A brilliant effort and I especially loved your awards presentation speech. I have a question regarding using tubular vs clincher wheels on a course like IMC. In 2001, I did IMC and was running tubular wheels. I ended up getting two flats due to tacks on the road. I had two spares and was able to quickly get going again. However, since it was early in the race, I still had all the fast descents to do on less than well glued tires. I did have residual glue on the spares and rim, but a replaced tubular will never be as secure as a properly glued tired. And the fear of rolling a tire on those descents had me riding the brakes down every significant downhill. After that experience I switched to clincher wheels and learned to change a clincher flat almost as fast as I can a tubular. With a repaired clincher, I felt that I had as reliable a tire/wheel interface as I did before the flat. On a flat course like IMFL, I would not have the same reservations. But, 50mph on a questionable tire is down right scary. With more courses experiencing "tack attacks", wouldn't clinchers be a better choice for courses with fast downhill sections?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win! Just curious, is there a reason you generally do not take water? Also, do you manage to get your target calories on the run from the 1perform/1coke (I believe that is what you wrote in the other post). Last, do you start to ingest let over the final miles or do you try to stay with it right through the last aid station?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri@PUR wrote:
Hey J-Rapp
Congratz again on your win!!

-Wanted to know in terms of position on the bike, how long do you think you maintained the aero position for IM length races vs HIM ? When do you stand up? stretch? tuck, etc? I ask because I saw some photos from IMC coming into aid stations and grabbing bottles while aero and last year during the IMAZ coverage on Universal you seemed to be on the base bar on some parts of the course, ie. Age groupper congested areas.

thanks!

Unfortunately, I think you are looking for a quantitative answer to something that's qualitative. I try to spend as much time as possible in the aero position. If stretch when I "need" to. I tuck when I run out of gearing. Etc. I wish I could give a better answer, but it's not something that I think is really quantifiable, even if I could actually even remember all the instances when I stand, tuck, etc.

In Arizona, safety is a big concern because it's a 3 loop course. That's a non issue in Canada because it's a one loop course. Were Arizona a single loop, I'd spend even more time in the aerobars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you find the 15 minute head start is enough, or does it bother you all day that I'm back there, and I'm coming for you...?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_D wrote:
Jordan,

It was nice chatting with you at Whole Foods and volunteering I got to see and learn a lot from transition. I used that week as a high volume training week. My 4 rides were the bike course with Fleck and his bride, Peach to Green Mtn then to the top of Apex and back, laps around Munson Mtn and my favourite Peach out to McLeans Creek to Greenlake out by the observatory to Twin Lake then Yellowlake to Green Mtn and home.

What's your favourite ride out there?

My favourite run was around Skaha Lake.

What's your favourite run out there?

And finally how long did it take you to get used to going over those cattleguards?

Favorite ride is just to ride the course. It's just got such a nice rhythm to it.

My favorite run is up along the KVR on the east side of town.

I'm still not "used" to the cattleguards, though I've gotten reasonably good at riding the "rail" so that you don't get the du-du-du-du-du. But on the rare rainy day, I'm not eager to ride over those things...

Quote Reply

Prev Next