Re: OT: Favorite Beer [Runningwithsax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Newcastle Brown

2) Wellington Dark

3) Smithwicks

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh my god--shame on me for forgetting boddington's!!!! i LOVE that beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well aside from standby Bud Light, Heinenken, Guinness...black n' tans are a favorite, Bell's Oberon, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...a funny party joke is to get 40's-- Colt 45, Camo, OE! It's like Mr.T--instant punchline... everyone cracks up when the 40's come out!

One of the best beer selections at a bar in SE Michigan is Shores Inn in St.Claire Shores. I think there are about 120 different kinds. If you're a frequent or sometime visitor you can even start a log they will keep on file to see how many you've tried. You get a plaque or your name on something on the wall once you finish them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands Down, if they still make it: GREENHALL WHITNEY
It was sold only in the midlnad and wales. Any Brits out there that can attest to this?

Honorable mention.
1.Guiness on draught at 60deg. poured with a big head. (English ales, stouts are meant to be drunk at or just below room temperature. They taste nasty if served icy cold.)

2. Newcastle Brown
3. Sierra Nevada--all of them
4. Modelo Negro served like a stout.
5. Several German and Belgian beers whose names I can't recall

And, you know, Lite (from Miller) is not bad if poured straight into a really cold mug with a big head.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Favorite beer?

THE ONE IN MY HAND

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heineken dark
guinness draft
Easy Street Wheat
Flying Dog Gonzo Porter
Left Hand makes this milk stout that is really good too

Nick
Hazed and infused is Boulder Beer
Last edited by: katokalin22: Oct 31, 05 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the thing i love about guinness the most is I like it cold - but I also like it warm. so I can pour one cold and drink it slowly , because an hour later it still tastes great, and it's less filling

try that with milweiser. yeach.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bush Lite
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Belgian stuff " sunshine and Fat tire .beer . Jap ,,, Asahi in bottles . One can a day doctors orders.
http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_sw.php
Last edited by: Helitech: Nov 2, 05 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife were in Germany several years ago and have never been able to duplicate the draft Lowenbrau we had in Germany. They had dark and light in 33 oz mugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned the Belgian beer DELIRIUM TREMENS (Nocturnum) - hands down the best beer ever. And at 9% alcohol, it will get you wasted. Rapidly.

If I can't get that I will gladly "settle" for a Stella or my favorite ghetto beer, Rheingold.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [lisa michele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DELIRIUM is great, i agree.
nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BEER, YAY BEER,
any type is good, as long as its cold. got to drink the coors light daily, it gets me through thr training and its nice cold, yep its weak but after a long hard ride and a beer I dont want to be smashed before I start the run to complete the brick. Love beer so much i wanted to put it in transitions for my last ironman. still wsh I had..#also got to love the guinness and also newcastle brown, as thats where I was born...
mmmm beer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Courage

And on behalf of lurkers everywhere, thanks for posting something about which the rest of us have an educated opinion.

Or just an opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah! Finally Something I can talk about! :)

Aside from a great brown ale from a good local brewery, my favorites that I can easily pick up at the local convienence store are:

1. J W Dundee's Honey Brown Lager

2. Michelob Amber Bock

P.S. Any tried the "Derailer" from the Moab Brewery in Utah?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely drink beer - usually only in summer. And when I do, it's one of these;

Sam Adams - Cherry Wheat

Maple Porter, (I think it's Sam Adams, too...?)

Raspberry Porter, (don't remember who makes it)

Brooklyn Brewery - Chocolate Brown something-or-other

Spaten Weissbier!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>1.Guiness on draught at 60deg. poured with a big head. (English ales, stouts are meant to be drunk at or just below room temperature. They taste nasty if served icy cold.) <<

ENGLISH???????? That's fightin' words.

I prefer Guinness from Ireland, but you're right about the temperature. The best Guinness comes straight from the brewery in Dublin and next best is from a tap in a pub in Ireland. Taste loses something in traveling. And, many (non-Irish) places in the US keep the kegs way too cold.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea where you can get John Courage stateside? JC is my favorite, bar none, but I haven't found it in several years (other than ordering it online or some other such hassle)...

Other than JC...

Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale are at the top. Guinness or Murphy's from NON-stateside taps are hard to beat. Hell, there are A LOT of choices if I'm abroad.

The micro-brews in the U.S. are the best bet, AND the worst bet. They are either great or terrible (and most are terrible, to me).

Another discovery of mine this year: Pumkin ales...I wouldn't call any of them my "favorite" but if you want something a bit off the beaten path...try one...I think they make a great seasonal...
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe no one's mentioned Genny (Genesse) Cream yet! No upstate New Yorkers sticking up for the local swill. How disappointing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not looked through all 4 pages yet so this might be a repeat

Magic Hat #9

Quite simply the perfect brew. Gotta love those vermonters. Too bad I can't get it here in NC yet. Everytime I head up to the northeast a case of #9 comes back with me.

jsargevt

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [Sid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh yes Otter Creek they make some kickin' brews as well!

The copper ale is great except that after a while it tastes like pennies. That makes it hard to drink.

Their Stovepipe porter is excellent. Although a roommate and I bought a small keg of that for a party in college where exactly 6 people came. Ugh I drank more of that than I needed to for a lifetime that weekend.

I always liked the Hickory Switch as well...but that is a pretty deep flavor - only a couple and I have to move on.

Man I miss the local beers in VT.

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMBER BOCK
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [jsargevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Otter Creek brewed in the Middlebury area?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Favorite Beer [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, Otter Creek is brewed in Middlebury, just north of town off of rte.7

now then, forgive me for repeats but I don't have the time to read the full thread:

Dogfishhead 90-minute IPA - one of the best IPA's ever brewed, very hoppy but with a smooth malt balance

Magic Hat HIPA - again extremely hoppy with a bit less malt to give you a nice bite; only seasonally brewed

Stone Brewing Ruination - the hoppiest beer I have ever had; if you are a hophead SEEK THIS BEER OUT!! I cannot stress that enough, those boys in SOCal know a thing or two about brewing some craft beer (and when you find someone to get you Stone Brewing beers, have them get you some of their Vertical Ale as well - produced one day per year 02.02.02, 03.03.03, 04.04.04 etc. until 12.12.12 at which point you are supposed to bust them all open and enjoy!)

And all lists would be remiss without mention of some fine belgian ales: I saw someone mention Delirium Tremens and Delirium Nocturnum (they are seperate beers) fine beers, but I believe Orval to be among the best, followed closely by Affligem I like the triple slightly more than the double) and Rochefort (and of them). Piraat is a good "double-IPA" brewed with belgian yeasts. Stick to the monastery beers (7 of them I believe) and be prepared for tastes that the poor american beer brinking public never imagined!

Finally something that I can wax poetic about!
Quote Reply

Prev Next