Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are merely an observer Uli, without any direct access to the facts or proceedings. As an attorney that you claim to be, one would think you'd be an advocate for a modicum of judgemental restraint under the circumstances. Of course that won't happen by those who frequent these forums under the cover of anonymity who postulate on theory and speculation as if they were facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [Mapletop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Lancaster, PA and have ridden past Floyd Landis's parents house many times. He was "also" innocent.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know more about this case than you do apparently. Read my previous posting again. I understand it's tough for you to accept what's happening but, again, he e.g. didn't cheat on his wife. Start now with moving on.

I am not anonymous. Takes ten seconds to find out my name if you're slow with google.

Quote | Reply
Hi Mapletop. I viewed this thread develop. Like you said, none of us have the details. We also want a clean sport.

In all of this, what I found interesting was on the front page interview, Michael is saying something along the lines of "his triathlon results will stand". My assumption is that he raced triathlon clean. My understanding is that he's being currently punished for a previous infraction while mountain biking. He did not come out and say, "my tri and mountain bike results will stand". He singled out his tri results as being clean.

I'm a fan of people learning from their mistakes, admitting to them and moving on and getting a second chance. David Millar is a nice example of this. It's peculiar that Michael points to his clean tri results, but steers clear about talking about the mountain bike results.

As a reader of the interview, I almost read an "implied admission". If so, from a PR perspective, he'd be better off just admitting it, sitting out his 2 years, and then becoming an aggressive proponent of racing clean. He's already very vocal about athletes racing clean and not drafting, so this would not be that difficult.

While 2 years seems like a lot right now, he could use the 2 years to actively help turn things towards a cleaner sport by becoming an advocate for it. If he was truly wrongly being framed, he should have gone with "All of my results...." rather than "My triathlon results....". As a reader, I see a big difference between those 2 lines.

Whether he doped or not, I don't care now. Many people make mistakes in life. It's what he does with this opportunity moving forward, and in life, as you probably know, every set back is an opportunity to improve and become a better person. I fully appreciate that being a pro bicyclist in Austia in the early/mid 2000's is a completely different competitive world from pro triathlon. I'm not going to judge him now for what he may have felt pressure to do or not do then.

Best of luck to Michael moving forward. I think he can win over lots of fans and a future living in this sport with the right public communication and actions now. It will serve him well into the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shall rest my case with this. No one on this forum has sufficient knowledge of the facts to the extent of those closest to Micheal Weiss and therefore they are merely speculating and theorizing for their self-pleasure. It has been enlightening to observe and perfectly illustrates the "rush to judgement" mentality by the masses of uninformed.

Look, you are in a bit of a Lions-Den here and, you get what you get when you venture into these forums - and this one is moderately moderated. I am not sure what you were expecting.

I am not sure of all the details myself, so I'll not comment directly on the situation. However, you'll have a hard time here convincing people in the court-of-public-opinion one way or another.

As an aside, you've not helped yourself, by being new here, and breaking a number of forum and online commentary rules.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev's post is about the most intelligent thing that has been said on this thread in quite awhile.

If he doped be should be punished. But he's also been racing triathlon for quite some time since these allegations and with his level of success he has quite likely been subject to many drug test during that time and based on the information we have has passed all of those. Based on that he deserves the benefit of the doubt regarding his triathlon results. If he did dope during his mtn biking days, came clean now, served his supension and then returned to racing I would have a ton of respect for him. Anybody who is rational should as well. People make mistakes all the time and its how they respond to them that determines the type of person they are. People appreciate honesty and for the most part a quick to forgive. Look at difference between how Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens are viewed in baseball.

Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sniper100 wrote:
Dev's post is about the most intelligent thing that has been said on this thread in quite awhile.

If he doped be should be punished. But he's also been racing triathlon for quite some time since these allegations and with his level of success he has quite likely been subject to many drug test during that time and based on the information we have has passed all of those. Based on that he deserves the benefit of the doubt regarding his triathlon results. If he did dope during his mtn biking days, came clean now, served his supension and then returned to racing I would have a ton of respect for him. Anybody who is rational should as well. People make mistakes all the time and its how they respond to them that determines the type of person they are. People appreciate honesty and for the most part a quick to forgive. Look at difference between how Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens are viewed in baseball.

Just as an FYI, Ironman was the first to really institute an organized drug testing program, and they did so at the end of 2009. After I won IMAZ in 2009 was the first time I was ever drug tested. Since then, any athlete who races WTC races is subject to both out-of-competition and in-competition testing, though the number of tests obviously depends on the athlete, especially with regards to out-of-competition testing. And it was not until end of 2010 / early 2011 that Ironman tested blood; 2009 through mid-2010, WTC only had provisions for urine testing.

XTerra does not - as far as I know - conduct any drug tests. I can't think of any USAT race (besides the draft legal series for elites) that does drug testing.

This is **NOT** meant to imply anything about the case at hand. It's just meant to address your claim that, "he has quite likely been subject to many drug tests [as a triathlete]." In *MY EXPERIENCE* that is not the case. Granted, each national governing body can choose to test athletes in addition to what Ironman has mandated - for instance, GBTri tests Chrissie Wellington in addition to WTC testing her (when you are tested, you are given a letter indicating who requested the test if it is out of competition). So Tri Austria may have tested Weiss a great deal.

But the history of drug testing in triathlon is pretty sparse, and even with the recent institution of a comprehensive program, it's really only Ironman that is testing, either in or out of competition.

Again, this is not meant to cast any opinion on the subject of Michael Weiss and what he may or may not have done. But, unfortunately, triathlon and drug testing have a very short - and generally yet unproven - history.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I can't think of any USAT race (besides the draft legal series for elites) that does drug testing.

I had the pleasure, with about ~20 other "randomly selected" athletes, of getting tested at AG Nats this summer (urine only).

Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm a fan of people learning from their mistakes, admitting to them and moving on and getting a second chance. David Millar is a nice example of this.

I'm a fan of giving a second chance in life. Not sure why they have to come back competing. Someone said it before: we don't know how much of a long term effect these drugs have.

One thing for sure: I would never take Millar as an example. That guy still does what he can get away with.

Quote | Reply
Jordan, thanks for information. I think there is a real lack of information about the drug testing process out there and as such a lot of assumptions. As far as Ironman and the WTC is the common practice to pull the athletes out once they finish the race and drug test? I know a couple of pros that have had this happen to them after crossing the finish line at 70.3 events. Without looking up his race schedule for the past few years I'd have to guess he was tested a few times post race. At the same time though if this is the only time that athletes are being tested it would seem quite easy to avoid a positive result since you basically know exactly when you were going to be tested.

Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he doped be should be punished.

As Jordan said it's only very recently in the sport of triathlon (Outside of the ITU circuit) that drug testing has started to be taken seriously. Indeed, it's been pretty sparse and hap-hazard in triathlon up until a year or so ago. Depending on where an athlete resided and what events they focused on there was a very good chance that they could race all year, get great results, win money, have good sponsorship support, and so on, and never get tested! Not making any accusations, here or commenting on this case in particular. It's just that when you leave a barn door open that wide for that long, guess what - something is going to walk through it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 30, 11 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with speedracer's comment isn't about "Hard Evidence". "Hard Evidence" is not a legal term. There is 1) direct evidence, and 2) circumstantial evidence.

Either could be strong or weak, depending on the evidence. For instance, if the ONLY ISSUE in a case was ID, and the circumstantial evidence consisted of a DNA match at 11 loci, then that's pretty damn strong evidence, but it happens to be circumstantial.

I know basically only what I have read as a cycling enthusiast about this case. It appears, at least, that there is 1) DIRECT EVIDENCE (see above) in the form of eyewitness evidence from Kohl. I don't know Kohl, and have never cross-examined him. He might be a great eyewitness, or a poor one with credibility problems.

It also appears that there is CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence, in the form of blood values (as I understand some posts - I have never read any primary sources on this). I have no idea whether it is strong or weak.

This debate would be more interesting of more facts were thrown out there, and less ignorance of the law.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>There's this misconception that circumstancial evidence is a somehow lesser or weaker form of evidence.[/quote]
A valid correction, and I also incorrectly assumed that a positive doping test was direct evidence, when it's also circumstantial.

But the power of circumstantial evidence exerts itself when there are multiple circumstances which dovetail to present a strong narrative.

A positive doping test is a single piece of circumstantial evidence that is accepted as a standalone evidence strong enough for "conviction." But in that case, this is *explicitly* stated, and the process is (mostly) clear.

But eyewitness testimony presence in a plasma lab, as a standalone piece of evidence is a very different. There is (as far as I know) no explicit statement by WADA that athletes not be in plasma labs. Now if this bit of circumstantial evidence was supported by other bits such as credit card payment to the lab two weeks before IMSG, suspiciously elevated hematocrit in several tests, and independent corroboration of Kohl's story by other eyewitnesses then you're into the wheelhouse of circumstantial evidence - they all dovetail nicely into a story of doping.

But if what's in the article on the main ST page is all there, is, it has a kangaroo court feel to it. Certainly there is *stronger* circumstantial evidence against Lance, since significant payments to a known doping Dr. is at least on part with presence in an plasma lab.

This is different then my *opinion* of Weiss' doping, but opinion is no way to run an anti-doping program.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Rappstar says is unfortunately true. Up until the end of 2009, a small percentage of IM races had in-competition testing and there was no systematic out-of-competition testing (even if some athletes competing were being tested by their NGB).

There were many instances of athletes showing up to races and either having a great result when there was no doping control or a DNF in case there was control. It was quite easy to predict the DNF's. It was a sad state of affairs and I saw many friends and athletes I coached getting beat by these cheaters.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Weiss Suspended [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they actually tell the athletes pre race whether or not there will be doping control at the event? That seems self defeating at best.