Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Regardless, this guy is an incredible athlete.

Is he though?.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m the one defending this guy as I not a fan at all.

But, Yes, he is. Official records aside, Iā€™m confident that even if ā€œsomeā€ guys have attempted something similar to what he did before, in the history of the world, there couldnā€™t be more than a handful that have done it (and he may actually be the only one). Put aside all of the arguments that many people ā€œcouldā€ if they wanted to, or if they had the time or whatever. He did it. They didnā€™t. Until thousands of other people take on what he did, he separates himself. And even if a handful or so of other guys who are also ultra junkies could, theoretically do it, that doesnā€™t make it any less incredible (Iā€™m more taking about the 50/50/50 than the 100 which I donā€™t think he will complete).

The average person is very impressed that anyone does triathlon. Even an Oly. They are blown away by the thought of one IM. Iā€™m blown away by the possibility of doing 2-3 of those back to back. He did 50. Bent ā€œIMā€ rules, sure. But he did something that 99.9% of the population couldnā€™t possibly fathom taking on. I canā€™t imagine what that does to your body and mind. I actually find it incredible that you donā€™t find that accomplishment incredible. Iā€™m not saying he has world class speed.

And, Iā€™m not a fan of much of what surrounds these endeavors but I can certainly appreciate something special when in see it.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 14, 21 4:36
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mojo74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:
A basketball rim diameter is 18 inches. You canā€™t use a 20 inch diameter rim, make a thousand baskets in a row and then tell the world you made a thousand free throws. Theyā€™re not free throws and you canā€™t make it so with fine print that says ā€œI define a free throw as using a 12 inch diameter rim.ā€ .

This may be the first good analogy on here. But, sadly, our society has such a short attention span, the details donā€™t matter. If you say it enough, people just believe it. Regardless, this guy is an incredible athlete.

So was Lance Armstrong

Yes, he was.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJH wrote:
This is bordering on fanatical now. They have addressed THE key concern of many on here, namely that this huge effort has been missrepresented as 100 x IMs when that is clearly not the case due to the bespoke rules. They have literally done what many in the thread above suggested and devised a new name for the distance (albeit clearly too late in the game). Yet still, the approach is criticised and ulterior motives are suggested.

I agree with lots of the balanced criticism here and likewise the respect for the athletic feat, but some of this criticism is now just bizarre. I suspect even if they called it the "Exercise Cowboy's long distance swim, bike, run event" there would be criticism.
Please explain to me why they needed to change calling the days events from a FTD to IronCowboy Distance?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
PJH wrote:

This is bordering on fanatical now. They have addressed THE key concern of many on here, namely that this huge effort has been missrepresented as 100 x IMs when that is clearly not the case due to the bespoke rules. They have literally done what many in the thread above suggested and devised a new name for the distance (albeit clearly too late in the game). Yet still, the approach is criticised and ulterior motives are suggested.

I agree with lots of the balanced criticism here and likewise the respect for the athletic feat, but some of this criticism is now just bizarre. I suspect even if they called it the "Exercise Cowboy's long distance swim, bike, run event" there would be criticism.

Please explain to me why they needed to change calling the days events from a FTD to IronCowboy Distance?

Because I want to get my ICmanDeca bumper sticker after I log a full month of training in July, and even then I likely won't accrue 1800km of cycling and 420km of running. I'll definitely get to 38km swimming (usually do that under 2 weeks). The run I can hit in 5 weeks, but definitely 6 weeks. 1800km of cycling is more like 5-7 weeks.

I'll let you know when I get to my ICManDeca-sans IV.

Please forward me bumper stickers and finisher medal. In posting the above, I am just trying to put some context on how absurdly tough a real deca is when a train-aholic like me needs 1.5 months to do a Deca equivalent distance with 45 days of sleep not 10 days of pseudo sleep. The ICMan deca has drafting and IVs dumbing it down from the real thing

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
PJH wrote:

Although the statement is poorly worded it states both 'we can't call it an ironman' and 'instead of full distance triathlon'. Clearly then, this is acceptance it should be referred to as neither of these things, in favour of the new term.

Any speculation on motive is just that. But fundamentally people here were deeply upset it was allegedly being represented as an ironman or full distance triathlon, through action or omission. Now this has been addressed (to some extent) instead of viewing this as a step in the right direction, it is being viewed as a further conspiracy. I think this is a form of confirmation bias.

All that aside, I'm only following the numbers through this thread, but interested to see how it all turns out.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've missed the boat on why people are critical. It's a huge combination of things.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hereā€™s how it will turn out- he will complete 100 of whatever those things are because theyā€™re easy and heā€™ll continue to allow the public to think heā€™s doing Ironmanā€™s.

There was past controversies with his ethics on this matter and now weā€™re seeing ethics controversies again.

This thing that heā€™s doing is only interesting if people think heā€™s doing Ironmanā€™s as in, the Iron Cowboy is incredible because heā€™s doing 100 Ironmanā€™s.

I am boycotting any brands that sponsor this thing and have friends who are doing the same.

If he wants to do real Ironmanā€™s Iā€™ll support him all the way, but donā€™t co-opt the name and institute ridiculously soft rules to deceive the public about your undertaking.

You say theyā€™ve adopted a name change.

Why did they not come out and correct the record completely as in, ā€œpeople have mistakenly come to believe Iā€™m doing Ironmanā€™s. These are not actually Ironmanā€™s.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mojo74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:
Hereā€™s how it will turn out- he will complete 100 of whatever those things are because theyā€™re easy and heā€™ll continue to allow the public to think heā€™s doing Ironmanā€™s.

There was past controversies with his ethics on this matter and now weā€™re seeing ethics controversies again.

This thing that heā€™s doing is only interesting if people think heā€™s doing Ironmanā€™s as in, the Iron Cowboy is incredible because heā€™s doing 100 Ironmanā€™s.

I am boycotting any brands that sponsor this thing and have friends who are doing the same.

If he wants to do real Ironmanā€™s Iā€™ll support him all the way, but donā€™t co-opt the name and institute ridiculously soft rules to deceive the public about your undertaking.

Why did they not come out and correct the record completely as in, ā€œpeople have mistakenly come to believe Iā€™m doing Ironmanā€™s. These are not actually Ironmanā€™s.ā€

I think too many people on this site are too stuck on "I did an Ironman once, it was hard, and noone else can claim they did one unless they obide by atleast as strict rules I did".

For me, the term "ironman" does not really mean anything. All IPR's aside, and who gets to call their races what, but in the world of triathlon callig something "iron distance" is fair enough and only describes the amount of km's you are doing. Doing an "iron distance" with f.ex. drafting sure is different than doing it alone. But I still have no problem with people calling it iron distance. Some ironman-races are easy (relative to others), some are hard (the extreme ones f.ex. very popular in Europe; norseman, celtman, swissman, etc). Chattanooga has (at least had) a serioysly down-river point to point swim which in my opinon made for more of an advantage than draftable bike.

In the end, no ironman race is really very comparable to another. Courses, course accuracy, weather, all have a big part in your finishing time. Want to know if you're better than someone? Race them, in the same race! You feel the IC is "getting away with something"? Embark on the journey youself, challange him, or whatever. Sitting behind a keyboard splitting words is pretty far back on the list of respectable stuff to do, in my opinion at least. For sure, you wanna dislike his project, go right ahead. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I'll stick with mine for abit longer. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:

From the first paragraph of the first page of his current Conquer 100 website accessed just now:

"After breaking several Guinness World Records, James wondered if he had truly found his mental and physical limits. He knew there was more: 50 Ironmans, 50 States, 50 consecutive days."

Maybe they're not saying the 100 are Ironmans, but they are most definitely still saying the 50/50 were "Ironmans".
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:

I think too many people on this site are too stuck on "I did an Ironman once, it was hard, and noone else can claim they did one unless they obide by atleast as strict rules I did".

For me, the term "ironman" does not really mean anything. All IPR's aside, and who gets to call their races what, but in the world of triathlon callig something "iron distance" is fair enough and only describes the amount of km's you are doing. Doing an "iron distance" with f.ex. drafting sure is different than doing it alone. But I still have no problem with people calling it iron distance. Some ironman-races are easy (relative to others), some are hard (the extreme ones f.ex. very popular in Europe; norseman, celtman, swissman, etc). Chattanooga has (at least had) a serioysly down-river point to point swim which in my opinon made for more of an advantage than draftable bike.

In the end, no ironman race is really very comparable to another. Courses, course accuracy, weather, all have a big part in your finishing time. Want to know if you're better than someone? Race them, in the same race! You feel the IC is "getting away with something"? Embark on the journey youself, challange him, or whatever. Sitting behind a keyboard splitting words is pretty far back on the list of respectable stuff to do, in my opinion at least. For sure, you wanna dislike his project, go right ahead. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I'll stick with mine for abit longer. :)

You canā€™t just destroy the lives of those who get their self-worth by having this brand name tattoo on their calf/ankle and thinking their uniqueness and who they are is largely defined by specific S/B/R ā€˜accomplishmentsā€™, mostly of average athletic prowess.
Thatā€™s nasty!

Can anyone confirm he got a ā€˜cease and desistā€™ letter?
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 14, 21 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you walk 26 miles did you do a marathon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came across a SM post or two where he was essentially poking fun at people's disabilities. I don't care about anything he does and don't know why anyone would. Guy's a jerk in my limited opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:

No. But if you run 26.2 miles, then yes. Obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:

No. But if you run 26.2 miles, then yes. Obviously.

And if you walk 27 miles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and then some. Is there a time element to a marathon? No. Just distance. If you walk it, then you did a very, very slow marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Yes, and then some. Is there a time element to a marathon? No. Just distance. If you walk it, then you did a very, very slow marathon.

Itā€™s not time thatā€™s the operative metric, itā€™s speed relative to effort expended running, which is why less than 1% of the population has ā€œrunā€ a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:

Itā€™s not time thatā€™s the operative metric, itā€™s speed relative to effort expended running, which is why less than 1% of the population has ā€œrunā€ a marathon.

That's a nice definition you've invented. Maybe it will catch on someday. For now, in reality, it's still defined by distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:

That's a nice definition you've invented. Maybe it will catch on someday. For now, in reality, it's still defined by distance.

Yes, in reality most people would agree walking 26 miles is having run a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:

Iā€™ll take Endurance Sports for $1000, Alex.

Answer: A sport in which the athlete walks 26.2 miles over the course of 24 hours.

Question: What is a marathon?

Iā€™m sorry Durhamskier, the correct answer is, What is walking?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you still posting the results?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No dog in the is it or isnā€™t it a real Ironman fight, but Iā€™m following the attempt on IG and I wish him well, but looks like heā€™s having a rough few days. I hope he will ā€œrace his way fitā€ or whatever, but he is 14 days in and having rough days and walking the run (granted, plenty of folks walk a lot of an IM marathon) ... to me it looks like itā€™s going to be a long, tough slog.
I mean- is injury inevitable? Who knows. Just when you see him drag himself outta the pool 14 days into 100, it does not look good to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:

No.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:

No.

I raced a 10 miler yesterday. A dude in his late 50s walked it in 1:28. Over a third of the runners finished behind him.

Did he do a 10 miler? What does it say about the runners behind him?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:

No.

A few people have answered no, so I'm not specifically poking at you here. But I'm curious how much "running" or "jogging" does one have to do in order it to qualify as a marathon to those saying walking isn't a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:

Iā€™ll take Endurance Sports for $1000, Alex.

Answer: A sport in which the athlete walks 26.2 miles over the course of 24 hours.

Question: What is a marathon?

Iā€™m sorry Durhamskier, the correct answer is, What is walking?

OK, good luck with your fantasy world. It's very creative, but I'll stay grounded in reality. Best of luck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next