Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Meanwhile, James is the ST training hero for the month with his 105 hrs training week. He is going to hit 400 hrs into week three which will be more hours in less than a month than 80% of ST does in year.

And yet one could do 15% of his volume and get 200% or more of the fitness he's gaining.

"Do as little as needed, not as much as possible"

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure walking the marathons really counts as training hours.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Yosa125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yosa125 wrote:

Yes walking that long is training, it is just low grade, but more than sitting on the couch and maybe more training load than sitting on a top tube in a supertuck and the TdF guys count that in overall hours, so why not let James count his walking hours as training. Honestly I think I would get prettty darn fit off 30-42km of walking per day.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Yosa125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After having done several 25 Mile movements with a rucksack...I can say that walking a marathon probably sucks, A LOT.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. I get that he's exercising, and he's probably gaining some sort of fitness....but... I doubt anyone on ST would let him get away with logging those walks in the 100/100 or The Big Kahuna Challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his website:

https://www.ironcowboy.com/conquer-100/#faqs

"The Conquer 100 attempt aims to create a new world standard of human performance and endurance, both physically and mentally. We are doing what is believed impossible; 100 straight iron-distance triathlons."

Nobody here seems to believe that this is "impossible" - just very boring and not worth doing. Immediately reminded me of the criticism surrounding Colin O'Brady:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/the-problem-with-colin-obrady

"O’Brady has built his personal brand around achieving the “impossible.” Yet the veteran polar explorers National Geographic consulted for this story used different descriptors for his trip, labeling it “achievable,” “contrived,” “disappointing,” and “disingenuous.”

“I don’t think anyone looked at the route he was skiing and thought it was even remotely impossible,” says American explorer Eric Larsen, one of the guides O’Brady consulted to learn the skills of polar travel. “The reason no one had done it is because no one thought it was worthwhile, in the sense of being anything record-breaking.""

By comparison - I find the following much more noteworthy / interesting

https://runningmagazine.ca/trail-running/laz-finishes-5100-kilometre-walk-across-america/

The difference here is doing something unique and cool, vs creating an arbitrary record/standard and getting to "break it" yourself....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
https://www.ironcowboy.com/conquer-100/

Goal times (daily)
Swim: 1:30hr
T1: 15m
Bike: 6:45hr
T2: 30m
Run: 5hr
Total: 14 hours

Day 1- March 1st - Swim: 1:24hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:48hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:40hr = Total: 14.41 hours
Day 2- March 2nd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 23m/Bike: 6:54hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:49hr = Total: 15:05 hours
Day 3- March 3rd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:43hr/T2: 31m/Run: 5:30hr = Total: 14:28 hours
Day 4- March 4th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 19m/Bike: 7:13hr/T2: 29m/Run: 6:49hr = Total: 16:16 hours
Day 5- March 5th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 28m/Bike: 6:52hr/T2: 42m/Run: 6:56hr = Total: 16:24 hours
Day 6- March 6th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 26m/Bike: 6:24hr/T2: 39m/Run: 6:39hr = Total: 15:35 hours
Day 7- March 7th - Swim: 1:25hr/T1: 22m/Bike: 6:36hr/T2: 38m/Run: 6:43hr = Total: 15:44 hours

So while the rest of us where whining on the internet, James just logged a 105 hrs training week. He roughly packed a tour de France worth of hours into one week, and exceeded the max training by anyone did on the ST log in one month in the span of only one week.

So call it what you want but that is a solid training week to get ready for the next 13 weeks.

He should join the the Big Kahuna Challenge if he wants a real challenge
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
After having done several 25 Mile movements with a rucksack...I can say that walking a marathon probably sucks, A LOT.

I remember when Jurgen Zack blew up on the run in his 10th Kona. He walked it in because it was his tenth and he was hell bent on finishing. Afterwards he was asked about his hike thru the lava fields and he said something along the lines of 'i never walk ever. I swim, I bike, I run or if I can't do that I take my car to go somewhere. But I don't ever walk anywhere. It really sucks when your bike split is faster than your run split". If I recall correctly he biked 4:30 and walked 4:30. If you are Jurgen the margin is small where your bike split is faster than run. But yeah having done a lot of forced marches with my military issued rucksack, would rather shuffle it out any day than 30-42km hikes daily. But you can certainly get in shape with all that hike time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to anyone in particular...

I'm starting to change my mind about this whole thing and starting to root for James....

I think the biggest issue people have with this "record" attempt is that he's positioning his as doing 100 "iron distance" triathlons (for obvious marketing / exposure), but what he is doing is so very different to an actual Ironman or full distance race. Once you accept he can make up his own rules, that he is not "racing", trying to do a solo 180km TT or even trying to run the "marathon" leg every day, you can start to accept that what he is doing is still somewhat admirable.
I think we would all be far more supportive if he was banging out 12hour "races" every day. The fact that he is doing them so painfully slowly, with drafting, IVs, group walks, etc., get's people's noses out of joint.

Swimming as slowly as possible, biking at 16mph in a draft pack and walking 5-6 hours a day is not all that inspiring, because that is typically not how we "race". However, the fact that he is trying to do that for 100 days straight is still very impressive.

That said, I find the guy that did 40/40 all <12hours far more impressive that what James is doing, even if he gets to 100.

At the end of the day, this is just a marketing stint. I accept it for what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like there are two views here on ST regarding James' 100/100 attempt: either you accept it for what it is and support it, or think that the drafting on the bike, walking of the marathon, etc should not qualify his effort for anything. There's not much of a middle ground and I guess that both sides will have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I find myself in the support camp. Yes, I follow his IG feed and I honestly hope that he is successful. I understand that he is drafting on the bike, but there is nothing "wrong" with that. It's his adventure and he gets to decide how it will be done. Sure, it's not according to IM rules, but who said that it had to be? ST is not the judge and jury.

As for the marathon walk, I see lots of people walking marathons and I cheer for them all of the time. They are doing their best and that's what counts. I am sure that James would like to run the marathon in under 3:00 every day for 100 days...but that's not happening. I believe that he is doing the best that he can. On the slightly related issue of whether walking a marathon counts as "training" or not (mentioned in a few posts above), for those who think that it should not, I wondered at what pace one must move in order for it to be considered "training".

I dunno, I try to be a positive person and support people in their efforts, whatever they may be. If they are giving all they can give, then I think that's great, I want them to succeed and I wish them the best of luck.

One last thought...someone in a comment above wondered whether some of the negativity around James and his 100/100 attempt stems from jealousy. I wondered the exact same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:

One last thought...someone in a comment above wondered whether some of the negativity around James and his 100/100 attempt stems from jealousy. I wondered the exact same thing.

I think some people feel threatened that by his doing an "iron distance triathlon" every day, with all his made up rules, drafting, IVs etc., that this somehow undermines the challenge of completing a real Ironman or their own Ironman / race achievements. When you realise what he is doing is so completely different different to racing a full distance race, that its not even comparable, it doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:

I think some people feel threatened that by his doing an "iron distance triathlon" every day, with all his made up rules, drafting, IVs etc., that this somehow undermines the challenge of completing a real Ironman or their own Ironman / race achievements. When you realise what he is doing is so completely different different to racing a full distance race, that its not even comparable, it doesn't matter.

+1. I truly wish everyone could see it this way. The internet (or the world, for that sake) is full enough of hatred and negativity as it is. In my mind what IC is doing is nothing short of amazing, regardless of what you label it. I dont care what you call the feat, but the fact that he pushes himself to move 226km a day - spending 16hrs a day doing some form of physical work, is impressive. Sure probably 95 % of ST (at least if you read these forums) could beat him in a shorter, proper race, but in my book what he is doing is another sport entirely.

Its just like going on multi-day-hikes with your huntsman grand-dad. Sure, you may be a 2h 20min marathoner, and he may be a 65 year old chap who could probably not run a full marathon, let alone get anywhere close to 3h30 min. But try to walk with old grandpa in the mountains for 12 hrs a day for a couple of days, and see who feels the freshest. You get good at what you do, plain and simple. Just like you cannot use your FTP (which you calculated based of a 20 min test) to predict your 5hr power on the bike, you cant to compare single day 8-12hr races to multi-day events.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironcowboy.com/conquer-100/

Goal times (daily)
Swim: 1:30hr
T1: 15m
Bike: 6:45hr
T2: 30m
Run: 5hr
Total: 14 hours

Day 1- March 1st - Swim: 1:24hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:48hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:40hr = Total: 14.41 hours
Day 2- March 2nd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 23m/Bike: 6:54hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:49hr = Total: 15:05 hours
Day 3- March 3rd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:43hr/T2: 31m/Run: 5:30hr = Total: 14:28 hours
Day 4- March 4th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 19m/Bike: 7:13hr/T2: 29m/Run: 6:49hr = Total: 16:16 hours
Day 5- March 5th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 28m/Bike: 6:52hr/T2: 42m/Run: 6:56hr = Total: 16:24 hours
Day 6- March 6th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 26m/Bike: 6:24hr/T2: 39m/Run: 6:39hr = Total: 15:35 hours
Day 7- March 7th - Swim: 1:25hr/T1: 22m/Bike: 6:36hr/T2: 38m/Run: 6:43hr = Total: 15:44 hours
Day 8- March 8th - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 22m/Bike: 6:31hr/T2: 49m/Run: 6:09hr = Total: 15:17 hours
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
SAvan wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:

+1. I truly wish everyone could see it this way. The internet (or the world, for that sake) is full enough of hatred and negativity as it is. In my mind what IC is doing is nothing short of amazing, regardless of what you label it. I dont care what you call the feat, but the fact that he pushes himself to move 226km a day - spending 16hrs a day doing some form of physical work, is impressive. Sure probably 95 % of ST (at least if you read these forums) could beat him in a shorter, proper race, but in my book what he is doing is another sport entirely.

I absolutely agree with this. What he is doing is - for me - quite unbelievable. Yes, he is drafting, taking an IV and whatever else, but to complete a long distance triathlon even in that form, every day for 100 days in under 17 hours, is nothing short of remarkable. My hat's off to the guy.

Taking this jealousy thing a step further....when I enter a triathlon, marathon, etc, I am there for myself. Do I want to do well, including having aspirations to finish well within my AG? Of course I do, but I am not really there to "compete" against others. I am there to compete against myself and do the best that I absolutely can...whatever that may be. And when I finish, I absolutely congratulate the people who finished ahead of me and I most certainly cheer on and support those who finish behind me. I have no idea the challenges, hurdles and sacrifices that others have made to get to get to the starting line, so there is no way that I can take anything away from, or reduce in any way, their performance.

I take that same mentality to James and his 100/100. Why would I possibly want to denigrate what he is doing? Would doing so somehow make whatever I have done (which can't begin to compare even in the smallest way) appear better?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the real advantages of drafting is that it helps keep his mind stimulated and awake. The whole reason he had to use the elipitcal last time was because he fell asleep on the bike and crashed and broke himself so he couldn’t run.

I think what he’s attempting is hella crazy. How he is doing it will make it. Most especially if he’s got pacers to look after him on the bike. He gains free time and has ppl looking out for him.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 21 4:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything we do has rules right? Why is it wrong to discuss the rules of this attempt? Do you supporters feel like it devalues his attempt if the “aids” are brought up?

It's the whole reason why sub2 wasn't an official world record. It's why the soon to be run sub 7/sub 8 isn't an "official record" either but more of just an event to see just how fast an triathlete can go with a whole bunch of "aids" to go as fast as possible.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 21 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:

You were fine up to that point. The jealousy accusation is the most overused, dumbest, and weakest put down of criticism.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:

You were fine up to that point. The jealousy accusation is the most overused, dumbest, and weakest put down of criticism.

I started this thread knowing where it would unfortunately morph into. Even though I have been on ST for close to 17 years, it still astounding me sometimes the (a small subset) people here. The two words that pop into my mind is "miserable' and "bitter" when I read some of the comments

I truly hope that the people that display these characteristics are just playing a role on a small triathlon forum, but i suspect that a few of them do actually go around in real life pulling wings of butterflies and yelling "get off my lawn" all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Yosa125 wrote:

Yes walking that long is training, it is just low grade, but more than sitting on the couch and maybe more training load than sitting on a top tube in a supertuck and the TdF guys count that in overall hours, so why not let James count his walking hours as training. Honestly I think I would get prettty darn fit off 30-42km of walking per day.

I wonder where the break point is where the body is no longer is building, but is taking away. That point exists, just not sure where given the open access to calories.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Meanwhile, James is the ST training hero for the month with his 105 hrs training week. He is going to hit 400 hrs into week three which will be more hours in less than a month than 80% of ST does in year.

And yet one could do 15% of his volume and get 200% or more of the fitness he's gaining.

"Do as little as needed, not as much as possible"

Agreed, 105 hours of junk miles is 0hrs of training. Even the swim which is probably the only part that gets his HR partially into Z2 is mostly a waste when most coaches agree that you need a higher pace to practice good form and form is everything.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This entire 100 in 100 is supposed to be about legitimacy. The IC literally published videos saying how this would be a "legitimate" attempt. No ellipticals, no riding/running indoors, etc. He published a youtube video calling the people on slowtwitch morons for questioning him in the past.

So you have to ask yourself, if this is supposed to be a legitimate attempt why did he change a couple of key rules. Its not like he doesnt know the rules, several years ago he set the "world record" with 30 IMs in a year and these were not self supported so he knows very well what actual IM rules are.

The reason he changed these rules on drafting, IVs, etc is because of how much help they are. If you see how much he has struggled this past week imagine if he didnt have 5 people pulling him on the bike. He wouldnt have made it past day 3. He literally could have prevented this entire thread by following IM rules, then i can guarantee you 99.9% of us would have supported him. Hell if he had done a legit attempt without his dumb videos that he made and rule changes i would have even gone and helped him for a few days.

So Im sorry, but when you publish videos and call people morons, stand on a soapbox about how you havent been treated fairly in the past and how this will now be a 100% legitimate attempt. Then you go and change rules to help you in a massive way then of course people are gonna call you out on your shit.

If you want to change the rules nobody cares, its your event. But dont talk about legitimacy of the event and the world record and then when you finish call what you did legit 100 IMs and nobody can question you. Because that is not what this is. Call a spade a spade.

And for those that are calling the people who question him jealous, i would like to invite yall to an actual ultra triathlon world cup event so you can see what type of great ultra athletes are out there. Because there is one thing that the IC is amazing at and thats building himself up. Theres a reason he hasnt raced a single official ultra tri event. Because the moment that the does and doesnt finish or he finishes in 15th place out of 18 people then he will lose the mystique that he has worked so hard to build up about being an "ultra endurance beast".

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:

I started this thread knowing where it would unfortunately morph into. Even though I have been on ST for close to 17 years, it still astounding me sometimes the (a small subset) people here. The two words that pop into my mind is "miserable' and "bitter" when I read some of the comments

I truly hope that the people that display these characteristics are just playing a role on a small triathlon forum, but i suspect that a few of them do actually go around in real life pulling wings of butterflies and yelling "get off my lawn" all day.

I have not been on ST long, but I totally agree. Instead of just having a conversation about an interesting sporting feat, they jump in with "you're jealous", "you're a hater".
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

When I first heard about the 50/50/50 I was the biggest James Lawrence fanboy! I thought what he was doing was freaking awesome and I was fully supportive. But James' business decisions and total disregard for the basic, fundamental rules of the sport and spirit of Ironman just totally turned me off. He's making a mockery of the Iron-distance and just trying to cash in by any means necessary, which means re-writing the rules and creating new rules that by definition under sanctioned events would be defined as cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
It's the whole reason why sub2 wasn't an official world record.

And the colossal difference between Sub 2 and Conquer 100 ... is that I believe Kipchoge has the ability to go sub 2 in a sanctioned race. I do not believe Lawrence could do the 50/50 or 100/100 following the standard rules. And neither James which is obviously why he made the decision to stop following the standard rules of our sport and make up his own.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Thank you!

When I first heard about the 50/50/50 I was the biggest James Lawrence fanboy! I thought what he was doing was freaking awesome and I was fully supportive. But James' business decisions and total disregard for the basic, fundamental rules of the sport and spirit of Ironman just totally turned me off. He's making a mockery of the Iron-distance and just trying to cash in by any means necessary, which means re-writing the rules and creating new rules that by definition under sanctioned events would be defined as cheating.

I am a fan of James but have to admit trading on the currency of a legitimate accomplishment (completing an Ironman) but not actually following the established rules of the endeavor is dubious. To those who say, this is simply HIS thing with HIS rules I ask this simple question: what exactly does the "IRON" part of IRON COWBOY mean?

I am still going to root for him. I am still interested in the feat, intrigued by the attempt and fascinated to see that he seems to have found homeostasis. If he starts clicking off ~15:00 events, I say well done. I would love to hear from some of the experts if they think that is happening?
Quote Reply

Prev Next