Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helltrack wrote:
Any predictions on which posts from ST posters will be included in either trailers?

Or will part 1 end in a cliffhanger?

brooks has the protagonist roll LOCKED in. He got out early on this. Thailand Ultra got caught unprepared.

(this is meant in fun)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote

Well he's already in a wetsuit and drafting every 100. I'm sure the 100s are to ensure he's able to jump on the feet of the female breaking the water for him each time.[/quote]
Run that past me again?
Drafting in the pool in a wetsuit too ? FFS.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Helltrack wrote:
Any predictions on which posts from ST posters will be included in either trailers?

Or will part 1 end in a cliffhanger?

brooks has the protagonist roll LOCKED in. He got out early on this. Thailand Ultra got caught unprepared.

(this is meant in fun)
I've already been in the book and Netflix documentary so Brooks can have it this time. James and I are "Buddies" now..:-)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting how some people get attention (in this case already 431 posts) and others not.
Is it charisma? Is it, in the case of the cowboy, the mere fact of breaking provokingly ironman rules?
Mind that a self-organised ironman can always be considered not really an ironman, no matter how strict "official rules" are being kept: there are no other competitors, you can start when you want etc.

Anyway, some people win Hawaii two times in a row and are basically neglected and quickly forgotten. (What was the name again of the guy who won twice in 2017 and 2018?). Other guys come in once as second in Hawaii and are constantly in discussion (That's a name I remember: Lionel).

I wonder how many posts the cowboy would have if he would strictly hold himself to the rules, and if he would have the charisma of an office-clark. Probably not even a thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is the use of social media for self enrichment through deception.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Interesting how some people get attention (in this case already 431 posts) and others not.
Is it charisma? Is it, in the case of the cowboy, the mere fact of breaking provokingly ironman rules?
Mind that a self-organised ironman can always be considered not really an ironman, no matter how strict "official rules" are being kept: there are no other competitors, you can start when you want etc.

Anyway, some people win Hawaii two times in a row and are basically neglected and quickly forgotten. (What was the name again of the guy who won twice in 2017 and 2018?). Other guys come in once as second in Hawaii and are constantly in discussion (That's a name I remember: Lionel).

I wonder how many posts the cowboy would have if he would strictly hold himself to the rules, and if he would have the charisma of an office-clark. Probably not even a thread.

Yep,I have been saying for years that it is unbelievable to me that some of the stunt event types are treated like rock stars on social media while the actual best in the world are completely ignored. Take today for example.I have hundreds of Facebook friends who are triathletes from all over the world.Some are pro's,industry types,top age groupers and regular punters.Out of all of those I can count on one hand how many have posted anything about Challenge Miami or the 70.3 in the middle east ,instead they post about IronCowboy or a handful of the personal stunt challenges they are following. Those who did post are either pro's,ex pro's or industry people. I know that maybe 20 of those hundreds will actually give a shit about the Super League Arena Games in a couple of weeks.They will be too busy following IC or the latest "inspirational" age group, Guinness Record chasing attention whore.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Mar 13, 21 3:52
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mojo74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojo74 wrote:
A basketball rim diameter is 18 inches. You can’t use a 20 inch diameter rim, make a thousand baskets in a row and then tell the world you made a thousand free throws. They’re not free throws and you can’t make it so with fine print that says “I define a free throw as using a 12 inch diameter rim.” .

This may be the first good analogy on here. But, sadly, our society has such a short attention span, the details don’t matter. If you say it enough, people just believe it. Regardless, this guy is an incredible athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell, I’d root for the IC if he just sandbagged the swim and bike, but ran his heart out. That is what that Kona winner did right?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Hell, I’d root for the IC if he just sandbagged the swim and bike, but ran his heart out. That is what that Kona winner did right?

Well IC just needs a team Erdinger suit and get the blue train to pull him daily. I think aside from the suit he's going off the cue from the 2017+2018 champ. He just needs to step up the running part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mojo74 wrote:
A basketball rim diameter is 18 inches. You can’t use a 20 inch diameter rim, make a thousand baskets in a row and then tell the world you made a thousand free throws. They’re not free throws and you can’t make it so with fine print that says “I define a free throw as using a 12 inch diameter rim.” .

This may be the first good analogy on here. But, sadly, our society has such a short attention span, the details don’t matter. If you say it enough, people just believe it. Regardless, this guy is an incredible athlete.

So was Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Regardless, this guy is an incredible athlete.

Is he though? He might be, I don't know, I'm asking. Have a lot of guys tried stunts like this and failed? Earlier there was mention of a guy who did 40 in 40 in under some time. Could that guy have done 50/50 or 100/100 if he attempted it? Or maybe as incredible as that guy's 40/40 seems, how many other guys could have done that 40/40 in that time?

I honestly don't know. We know Kipchoge is great because he holds the real world record and we also know how to judge a marathon because millions of people have done it, so his sub 2 stunt only adds to his resume.

Does IC have a resume that suggests greatness?

I honestly don't know how to judge if he's an incredible athlete. Again, he may be. Maybe no one else has the physical and mental endurance to pull it off. But I don't know how to judge if he's a great athlete or if he's like the guy who sits on the flagpole for 100 days.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IC has his fundamentals as a Canadian and is executing what I call "scorched earth" athleticism. Obviously as a group we hold athletic achievement in such high regard, and too often at the expense of ... you name it - health, safety, etc.

So if that is your dream and you don't have to ability or mechanisms to get there, then come up with something that will. Que the 50/50 or 100/100. Where the scorched earth term comes in is these social media stunts come with the outcome of self-inflicted, permanent injury. Will he have any toes left?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Mar 13, 21 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He hasn't done an actual triathlon in 6 years. But back in the day he raced a bunch. In 70.3's he's mostly a 4:50-5:30 guy. In fulls, 11:00 to 12:30 mostly. So I'd classify him as a moderately good age grouper... But very very very far from being a world class athlete. Just a regular dude who trained enough not to suck at triathlon.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
He hasn't done an actual triathlon in 6 years. But back in the day he raced a bunch. In 70.3's he's mostly a 4:50-5:30 guy. In fulls, 11:00 to 12:30 mostly. So I'd classify him as a moderately good age grouper... But very very very far from being a world class athlete. Just a regular dude who trained enough not to suck at triathlon.
Patagonman in 2019 in around 16hrs and the Bear Grylls Eco-Challenge where Team IronCowboy came in around 39th (from my foggy memory).

Last year he was on a team that set the new Uberman record.James did the 400 mile bike leg in 28hrs. I know a few of the overall winners of Uberman and none of them got a 10th of the media that IronCowboy did for being part of a team.

Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So on his stories on IG his daughter said “We cannot use the term Ironman anymore so instead of fdt we’ve decided to coin the phrase “Iron Cowboy distance triathlon” so we would appreciate it if all of you guys could start calling it that and spread the word “
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
So on his stories on IG his daughter said “We cannot use the term Ironman anymore so instead of fdt we’ve decided to coin the phrase “Iron Cowboy distance triathlon” so we would appreciate it if all of you guys could start calling it that and spread the word “

This has to be a master troll move to wind up his arch enemies here on Slowtwitch.
>
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:

Interesting given everything written says iron distance.

Ironman is a slip of the tongue maybe.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
jpay wrote:

This has to be a master troll move to wind up his arch enemies here on Slowtwitch.
>

ICMan 100/100
ICMan 50/50
ICMan 25/25
ICMan Deca
ICMan 140.6
ICMan 70.3
ICMan 26.2
ICMan 13.1
ICman 6.2
ICman 3.1

Where do we get our bumper stickers. I am going to have to go to the local soccer tournament and giving them out to all the parents who will proudly display them on their upcoming Tesla minivans in Westchester County NY and Palo Alto CA
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Helltrack: Mar 13, 21 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:

Yep that is really just taking the piss. Does the Ironman brand have rights to the term full distance triathlon? I wouldn't have thought so. Last week I looked up #fdt on facebook and apparently the acronym is a lot more popular with people expressing their displeasure at Donald Trump. Call my cynical but it seems they might just be trying to distance themselves from a very political hash tag. I mean Iron Cowboy distance triathlon seems closer to infringing copyright than full distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
IC has his fundamentals as a Canadian and is ....

I forgot hat he was Canadian. (Responding to you because you sparked a thought)
Canadians his age were inspired by 2 great athletes who used athletics to propel a better world.
Terry Fox and Rick Hansen did impossible things to make the world better. I’ll assume we all know about those 2. If not, google their names.
Those two didn’t do things to elevate themselves but rather to elevate their cause.
But some Canadians copycat impossible adventures in a manner that work for their ego and persona rather than a cause as a humble athlete willing to make the world a better place.

Terry Fox inspired me. I was 6 years old living in Canada at that time watching him go out every day and run the Marathon of Hope. I’m sure he inspired the Iron Cowboy as well as thousands of others our age. Some might’ve had their ego drive their adventure.

Regardless, I forgot he was Canadian born.
Cheers,
Canusa
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
jpay wrote:

Yep that is really just taking the piss. Does the Ironman brand have rights to the term full distance triathlon? I wouldn't have thought so. Last week I looked up #fdt on facebook and apparently the acronym is a lot more popular with people expressing their displeasure at Donald Trump. Call my cynical but it seems they might just be trying to distance themselves from a very political hash tag. I mean Iron Cowboy distance triathlon seems closer to infringing copyright than full distance triathlon.
It is a bullshit way to increase the IronCowboy brand. No way in hell did Ironman say they can't use Full Distance Triathlon (Challenge do every day) and if they weren't calling it an Ironman as they have been saying all this time then it is a non issue. Create a little outrage at "The Ironman overlords" and get more sympathy from your legion of minions.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

That surprises me for some reason. I assumed, for no particular reason, that he is/was reasonably fast, if not pro level, in one off events. Apparently he’s not really any faster than I am.

That’s crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be honest, if any of the ultra racers (like that guy that did actual 40 in 40 days) follow these "rules" they'd very likely get to 100. But nobody has done that because people usually need to work to maintain their family, and by changing the rules the true racers likely don't consider it a challenge worth starting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
TIT wrote:
jpay wrote:

It is a bullshit way to increase the IronCowboy brand. No way in hell did Ironman say they can't use Full Distance Triathlon (Challenge do every day) and if they weren't calling it an Ironman as they have been saying all this time then it is a non issue. Create a little outrage at "The Ironman overlords" and get more sympathy from your legion of minions.

This is bordering on fanatical now. They have addressed THE key concern of many on here, namely that this huge effort has been missrepresented as 100 x IMs when that is clearly not the case due to the bespoke rules. They have literally done what many in the thread above suggested and devised a new name for the distance (albeit clearly too late in the game). Yet still, the approach is criticised and ulterior motives are suggested.

I agree with lots of the balanced criticism here and likewise the respect for the athletic feat, but some of this criticism is now just bizarre. I suspect even if they called it the "Exercise Cowboy's long distance swim, bike, run event" there would be criticism.
Quote Reply

Prev Next