Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ALG wrote:
It's interesting to see how Europeans are finding these guys less arrogant than Americans seems to. I'd definitely say they are cheeky and playful, but I don't see any arrogance there. Supreme confidence rather.
Anyway, it's great fun, and I hope we have more interviews like that. Also, those guys together hold the past three 70.3 WC (counting Daytona as one), the Olympic gold, the WTS title, so...if anyone is allowed to be cheeky, it's really them. Can't wait for Sacramento.

Here you have three Norwegians, Gustav, Mikael and Kristian talking to an interviewer.
They are not speaking in their native language. But have no problem talking in English.
I am not sure how many native English speaking triathletes that are doing interviews in other languages than their own.

The guys are direct. And in a world where athletes are trying to be political correct that is refreshing.

Calling out LC guys for not racing their own championship sounds reasonalbe.
Think if the ITU guys would not race the olympics or their championship.....

They are not afraid of racing everything from Super League to Ironman.
I do not see many LC guys doing the same......

That was a fun podcast. They are a bit cocky though.

They made some good points:

-I get their "If you are a LC guy, you should have raced". In WTS, everyone races. You don't see someone like, say, Mola thinking "not running as fast as I wanted this season so will not race this one" It shows that WTS athletes are mentally stronger than LC guys at handling defeats. I understand it is not that easy in the full distance, but mid-distance, these guys can recover in a week or so.

-Many members here are emotionally invested in some of these LC folks (i.e. someone even started a thread trolling that Long "beat" Blu) so this clouds their judgement, but the numbers don't lie. At the Collins Cup, Frodo and Iden times were a notch above the rest, so I can see why Iden wanted him and others to be at the race. Last guy to ever come close within three minutes of Iden was AB at Nice. So for Iden to say he knew he had the race in the bag at T2 once he knew Blu was 15 minutes behind.. well, sorry folks, but I think he was right.

-On the same note above, I love it when they call BS on Blu for not racing California!

-I agree with them that Charles performance at Leed was really impressive, SC guys racing mid distance and keeping ass, happens all the time, but the other way around?

-"We don't do anything with Jan"..that seemed a bit too blunt, but maybe I am over reading it a bit..

-I think it is super cool that he will train with Sanders (if I got this correctly).
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [TruckeeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TruckeeTri wrote:
It seriously waters down the brand if the race becomes a traveling road show. True, a whole new group of athletes may come into the sport as a result, but my guess is that it would be a net negative.

Really not sure about that. By changing location we'd bring the sport to many more people. And, importantly, to new people. How many people going to Kona actually go every year, again and again? We see the same faces every October; not saying it's a bad thing, but then let's not pretend we want to develop the sport.

In terms of enthusiastic crowds, Kona has nothing on Roth or Frankfurt. But Ironman marketing power is too strong. It's interesting you called it a "brand" (rightly so, not challenging that). It should be a celebration of sport, an actual world championship, but it's not. It's become more of a big money-making piece of entertainment. Who here didn't go crazy at the millionth mention of "Ironman world championship BROUGHT TO YOU BY AMAZON"!? They're not promoting triathlon as much as they used to; they're promoting Hoka shoes and the Four Seasons hotel. Kona lately isn't the Kona we knew 10+ years ago. That's why I'd be sad, but also supportive, moving it to new places; the once every four year idea is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there a chance they host the WC the May weekend that is already scheduled for a race and just defer anyone who has entered? the ironman website has registration closed for IM StG. just a thought?

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch! Interesting that registration is closed. They were pushing the IMSG price increase hard over the weekend, even up to 24 hours ago. I guess it could have filled up but doesn't it usually say "Sold Out" in the registration area?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
is there a chance they host the WC the May weekend that is already scheduled for a race and just defer anyone who has entered? the ironman website has registration closed for IM StG. just a thought?

Agree! I literally went to register for this race today (StG has been on my list and I race my "Kona" or "WC" there!)! But I hope it goes back to Kona once the dust settles!
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
TruckeeTri wrote:
It seriously waters down the brand if the race becomes a traveling road show. True, a whole new group of athletes may come into the sport as a result, but my guess is that it would be a net negative.

Really not sure about that. By changing location we'd bring the sport to many more people. And, importantly, to new people. How many people going to Kona actually go every year, again and again? We see the same faces every October; not saying it's a bad thing, but then let's not pretend we want to develop the sport.

In terms of enthusiastic crowds, Kona has nothing on Roth or Frankfurt. But Ironman marketing power is too strong. It's interesting you called it a "brand" (rightly so, not challenging that). It should be a celebration of sport, an actual world championship, but it's not. It's become more of a big money-making piece of entertainment. Who here didn't go crazy at the millionth mention of "Ironman world championship BROUGHT TO YOU BY AMAZON"!? They're not promoting triathlon as much as they used to; they're promoting Hoka shoes and the Four Seasons hotel. Kona lately isn't the Kona we knew 10+ years ago. That's why I'd be sad, but also supportive, moving it to new places; the once every four year idea is pretty good.

We call that sponsorship.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ALG wrote:
TruckeeTri wrote:

We call that sponsorship.

Perfectly normal. As everyone knows, world championships across sports are selling themselves to brands so they can exist. Sure.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Messick also told me that he was getting amateurs yelling at him while they were running that the race needs to stay in Kona.. not sure if it was the person above that he was referencing. It’s clearly on the minds of many.

There are a lot of things that AGs would want to yell at Messick about, yet the fucks he gives have been counted so many times and nobody has ever seen more than zero.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bet my money on Lanzarote, because it is unusual that registration for Ironman Lanzarote 2022 is still closed. It is also a volcanic island with a very challenging course and they have the logistic with Club La Santa to host and have a safe COVID protocol.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree entirely. It's the fact it's Kona and the history not the because it is the WC that's the draw for athletes, otherwise people would just race the ITU long distance worlds. That said, it seems likely there may be no opportunity to go back to Kona for quite sometime so IM may just have to find somewhere else short term. Lots will depend on the people of Kona. Even aside from COVID do they actually want the race? If they have a period without it maybe they won't want it back?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Stephantrias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stephantrias wrote:
I would bet my money on Lanzarote, because it is unusual that registration for Ironman Lanzarote 2022 is still closed. It is also a volcanic island with a very challenging course and they have the logistic with Club La Santa to host and have a safe COVID protocol.

Yes, that's a good guess. Has some history too, and IM know they can deliver a great race there.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownlee is still recovering from an injury. I dont know about Jan but he raced in Samorin few weeks ago and he is 40, and I think he cannot make the same mistake he did in 2018 worlds with that vertebrae fracture. Then Javier, ..he had to race the french grand prix the last weeks and he has a commitment with his club..I think he was willing to finish the season and maybe felt he was not in shape to do a good race in St.George (he is 38). His plans are Kona or wherever IM worlds will be held in feb and then on...I am spanish and I am bit worried about his bike leg....dont know how he can manage to be within the race after T2 cause the level of cycling has raised so so much.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I am bit worried about his bike leg....dont know how he can manage to be within the race after T2 cause the level of cycling has raised so so much.

He has some work to do on the bike, only speculating, but maybe he is just focused on improving the bike as he is fully aware that unless he improves a bit he won't be competitive at the top of the sport. At 70 kg, he has enough weight to push some good wattage and he definitely has the engine but, IMHO, he just does not look comfy and relaxed in aero on that position.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Stephantrias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While StG hosted a great event last weekend, I would:
- Feb/March:Lanzarote, since it would be a tough course, worthy of a WC. Convenient for European and North Americans to travel to.
- Oct: Las Vegas, the old Silverman course. Again, a tough course worthy of the WC title, with plenty of hotels, etc. Easy travel location.
- Oct 2023 back to Kailua-Kona, assuming pandemic safe.

With the number of people who have qualified over the last few years, the “need” for WTC to validate the WC moniker, and the assumed cash flow issue, they need to do something soon to establish a new or temporary normal.
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Sep 21, 21 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
juanillo wrote:
I am bit worried about his bike leg....dont know how he can manage to be within the race after T2 cause the level of cycling has raised so so much.

He has some work to do on the bike, only speculating, but maybe he is just focused on improving the bike as he is fully aware that unless he improves a bit he won't be competitive at the top of the sport. At 70 kg, he has enough weight to push some good wattage and he definitely has the engine but, IMHO, he just does not look comfy and relaxed in aero on that position.

100% agree with this. I've seen the odd ITU file from JG and he is as strong as an Ox in W/kg (he's actually only 67-68kg). But I'm not sure his W/CdA is great. Like you say has never looked that comfy on a TT bike.

Still 2x 70.3 Worlds is pretty good for being uncomfortable on TT 😃
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

https://open.spotify.com/...lWtQ&dl_branch=1

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

Well, IMSTG just closed registration and they were only at about 1,600 participants. It doesn't say "Sold Out", they just closed registration. So what are they going to do if they transfer the WC to St. George? What will they do with the 1,600 people that are already registered?

I have been registered for this race since 2019 and been transferred to 4 different dates and locations already. Many of the registered participants are in the same boat. If they once again bump us to another date to accommodate the WC it would be the height of insult. The Full at St. George just seems to be cursed to uncertainty.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

Well, IMSTG just closed registration and they were only at about 1,600 participants. It doesn't say "Sold Out", they just closed registration. So what are they going to do if they transfer the WC to St. George? What will they do with the 1,600 people that are already registered?

I have been registered for this race since 2019 and been transferred to 4 different dates and locations already. Many of the registered participants are in the same boat. If they once again bump us to another date to accommodate the WC it would be the height of insult. The Full at St. George just seems to be cursed to uncertainty.

I’m more worried about the pros not having another IMWC race … I want to see Frodeno racing and I want those pro’s in their twilight years able to race a WC and not have to hang up their careers bittersweetly because of Covid

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I’m more worried about the pros not having another IMWC race … I want to see Frodeno racing and I want those pro’s in their twilight years able to race a WC and not have to hang up their careers bittersweetly because of Covid

Allrighty then... Hopefully IM is not as tone deaf as you when it comes to this. Without AG'ers there would be no IM, no pro field, no triathlon. It's the AG'ers that keep getting kicked in the pants with all these changes. The Pros at least have the PTO. We just get told to shut up and get in line. IMSTG has been messed with enough...

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Allrighty then... Hopefully IM is not as tone deaf as you when it comes to this. Without AG'ers there would be no IM, no pro field, no triathlon. It's the AG'ers that keep getting kicked in the pants with all these changes. The Pros at least have the PTO. We just get told to shut up and get in line. IMSTG has been messed with enough...

You’re discussing an issue of fairness here with a focus on fairness for you, not all AG’rs. Reality is, there’s been a lot of AG IM brand races this year,so kudos to them. What you’re not considering is that IM could just allow you and those 1,599 other IMSG AG’rs to do the possible WC race in StG… that’d be fair for everyone. Or maybe that’s tone deaf too, ha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Is it possible to do St George as scheduled Saturday and WCs Sunday May 8th?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:

See prior post - same wavelength! Ha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

You’re discussing an issue of fairness here with a focus on fairness for you, not all AG’rs. Reality is, there’s been a lot of AG IM brand races this year,so kudos to them. What you’re not considering is that IM could just allow you and those 1,599 other IMSG AG’rs to do the possible WC race in StG… that’d be fair for everyone. Or maybe that’s tone deaf too, ha.

Hmmmm...yeah, I think fairness for all 1,600 registered participants is important. Also fairness for those people that paid a disgusting amount of money for a Kona spot that now may be sharing a course with people that paid half of their entry fee? And not racing in Kona? Yes, trust me, fairness will be a huge issue on how they handle this.

It will be interesting to see if they can figure it all out. It will be painful for somebody but it has been VERY painful for a lot of us that have been registered already for this race since 2019. A lot of those 1,600 people are in my same boat.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
It will be interesting to see if they can figure it all out. It will be painful for somebody but it has been VERY painful for a lot of us that have been registered already for this race since 2019. A lot of those 1,600 people are in my same boat.

Yeah, I know someone who has paid over $6k in booking, canceling and rebooking travel for Kona … gotta let those folks race

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Well that would be great, I'm registered for St George, so could race Sat then watch pros Sunday. Wishful thinking maybe
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Well that would be great, I'm registered for St George, so could race Sat then watch pros Sunday. Wishful thinking maybe

There is no Sunday racing in St. George due to the predominant Mormon population.

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply

Prev Next