Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The smacktalk was fun, the main uncool part was talking about Jan/Brownlee/Gomez not showing up in the twilight of their career in fear of getting their reputations hurt by coming 3rd or 4th...but then asked why Cozumel and not California, he gave roughly the same excuse that Jan gave which was "sticking to my plan" . You never know when you have a bad injury of accidentt and time at the top is fleeting so so talking down former champions seemed a bit out of line given that they have stood the test of time. But as some said on here, it may be the translation, but it seemed uncalled for since Jan just beat Iden at Collins Cup after doing an Ironman in July.

Jan and Iden were on the same team and in different races at the Collins Cup. They both walked their races vs the competition.

Jan probably couldn't care less what they say about him, he'll just add it to the motivation pile and look to destroy them when he peaks. Calling Jan out for not going to 70.3 when Jan has clearly indicated that he chooses when to peak in a year and is game for a showdown with the Norwegians in Sacramento. Is Gustav willing to be called out for ducking Jan bc he wants to do Cozumel instead?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
StG is awesome but I have raced there so much. I don't want "Kona" to be in StG.

Not even just once?

I’d like the pros to have a certain WC race to work towards with zero ambiguity.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
StG is awesome but I have raced there so much. I don't want "Kona" to be in StG.

Not even just once?

I’d like the pros to have a certain WC race to work towards with zero ambiguity.

I don't know how many times I will (or want to) race the IM world championship. So for me, I want it in Kona.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

https://open.spotify.com/...lWtQ&dl_branch=1

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

No way they hold it in April with IMSTG being the first week in May. I can see them doing a Fri-Saturday combo in May in STG. Friday being the AG race and Saturday being the WC race. Now, in that scenario I imagine they would move the NA Championship to another IM race.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
It's interesting to see how Europeans are finding these guys less arrogant than Americans seems to. I'd definitely say they are cheeky and playful, but I don't see any arrogance there. Supreme confidence rather.
Anyway, it's great fun, and I hope we have more interviews like that. Also, those guys together hold the past three 70.3 WC (counting Daytona as one), the Olympic gold, the WTS title, so...if anyone is allowed to be cheeky, it's really them. Can't wait for Sacramento.

Here you have three Norwegians, Gustav, Mikael and Kristian talking to an interviewer.
They are not speaking in their native language. But have no problem talking in English.
I am not sure how many native English speaking triathletes that are doing interviews in other languages than their own.

The guys are direct. And in a world where athletes are trying to be political correct that is refreshing.

Calling out LC guys for not racing their own championship sounds reasonalbe.
Think if the ITU guys would not race the olympics or their championship.....

They are not afraid of racing everything from Super League to Ironman.
I do not see many LC guys doing the same......
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
It's interesting to see how Europeans are finding these guys less arrogant than Americans seems to. I'd definitely say they are cheeky and playful, but I don't see any arrogance there. Supreme confidence rather.
Anyway, it's great fun, and I hope we have more interviews like that. Also, those guys together hold the past three 70.3 WC (counting Daytona as one), the Olympic gold, the WTS title, so...if anyone is allowed to be cheeky, it's really them. Can't wait for Sacramento.

I’m American and I didn’t find the podcast arrogant. They were light hearted and honest. I mean just go look at the race day thread, we knew the race was over when Blu had the mechanical. No one was going to run Gustav down. We knew it and he knew it. No big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea why people are annoyed at them "calling people out" that withdrew. Except for Jan. He wasn't qualified. Alistair did come up injured from his bikepacking race. Javier, no idea. But this is the thing about IM racing in general, not really about this specific race. Amateurs should never plan their races around trying to "race with" their favorite pro. I've seen in my short time so many pros that I "follow" sign up for a ton of races only to never start or were actually never even planning to do that race.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah… April in St George was the very strong rumor on the ground this past weekend…

What’s not clear to me is whether this would be for pros or AG’ers too.

I have amateur athletes that want to race in Kona since it’s iconic rather than race at a World Championship event… so while hosting a WC is important, especially for pro athletes whose careers depend on it, it’s not going to be ideal for a lot of amateur athletes that want to experience an Ironman on the Big Island.

Messick also told me that he was getting amateurs yelling at him while they were running that the race needs to stay in Kona.. not sure if it was the person above that he was referencing. It’s clearly on the minds of many.
Last edited by: sfjab: Sep 20, 21 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St George is much cheaper and accommodation is fairly abundant.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Messick and Ironman created the problem of everyone wanting to race Kona by boosting the lore of Kona in their marketing over the past 10 years… the angle has always been Kona is the holy grail…
Last edited by: sfjab: Sep 20, 21 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
No idea why people are annoyed at them "calling people out" that withdrew. Except for Jan. He wasn't qualified. Alistair did come up injured from his bikepacking race. Javier, no idea. But this is the thing about IM racing in general, not really about this specific race. Amateurs should never plan their races around trying to "race with" their favorite pro. I've seen in my short time so many pros that I "follow" sign up for a ton of races only to never start or were actually never even planning to do that race.

People do that?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Kona is definitely the sacred cow. Especially at like $1200USD an entry. IMO little to no AGer is going to want to race a WC. They want to race Kona. The way COVID is going i cannot see a global influx of 10,000 people to Hawaii for a week happening for years. It seems so distant a possibility. and Ironman need to clear the backlog of WC qualifiers. I forecast they will say AGers qualified for WC have to race WC regardless of location or forfeit their spot/transfer to another event of choosing/partial refund type scenario.

Its a no win for Ironman for sure.

This is kinda where I stand as well. Though I think that people will eventually move on from the attachment to Kona. I think that if the WC rotates between 3-4 interesting locations like StG. WTC will do ok. At the end of the day, the number of AGers really shooting to get to Kona may not be that material to WTC.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could also Rotate to largest market of Europe. Germany. Great Britain are now huge consumers of Ironman. WC not tied to USA.

Travel issues to Oz and NZ make those locales non starters.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
No way they hold it in April with IMSTG being the first week in May. I can see them doing a Fri-Saturday combo in May in STG. Friday being the AG race and Saturday being the WC race. Now, in that scenario I imagine they would move the NA Championship to another IM race.

The likely extremely cold water temperature in April and the closeness to IMSG are two reasons I think this rumor is really strange. How cold would the water be if the race were, for example, April 23? I'd think volunteer support might be difficult with two races so close as well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Could also Rotate to largest market of Europe. Germany. Great Britain are now huge consumers of Ironman. WC not tied to USA.

Travel issues to Oz and NZ make those locales non starters.

That's very true as well.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you’re right… I never wanted to do 70.3 Worlds in Clearwater but I was stoked when it started relocating each year.

I might be tempted back to the IM distance if they held a WC event at a venue like StG which probably suits me better than Kona.

It could be a great strategy for Ironman… lure people into competing to qualify for two distinct Ironman events… Ironman Hawaii or Ironman WC in a different location each year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Messick and Ironman created this problem in boosting the lore of Kona in their marketing over the past 10 years… the angle has always been Kona is the holy grail…

THEY CREATED COVID-19???

The fact the race is not in kona last year or this year has nothing to do with anything you state here. They would do what ever it takes to get the race in.

Their marketing plan for kona as the holy grail the last ten years means you haven't been paying attention as it has always been the holy grail.

Not by ironman but the CONSUMER!!!!!

People fly to KONA to WATCH an IRONMAN. I can't think of another race that people do that for.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
People fly to KONA to WATCH an IRONMAN. I can't think of another race that people do that for.

Challenge Roth is Bavaria's largest one day sporting event. In non-covid times it's estimated at over 100,000 spectators.

I believe you're not even allowed to spectate on large portions of the Kona course. Lame.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Most people who qualify for Kona have no realistic aspirations of being world champion in their AG. They want to do that race on that day with all the hype and energy. At least that’s where I sit. Probably won’t ever qualify for Kona, but I certainly wouldn’t be interested in racing a WC anywhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but I said spectators FLY there not drive.

So think of that people FLY to kona to not even be able to watch most of the race. I guess it is the Holy grail.
It will be the holy grail and we love it is the holy grail. He know it is the race and must be the race.

70.3 worlds this weekend was good, but it was no kona lead up, kona peak fitness and kona media buzz.

Remember Penticton used to have the volunteer army. Then it became challenge and had very few Volunteers.

Ironman was the focus, athletes used to have to sign up the next day in town for the following year so would volunteer and family came to watch and volunteer. Take 2000 races out of the event and lose all the volunteers that traveled with them.

kona these people go and don't know anyone racing.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes people go to Kona to watch? Ironman, media… they’ve all built it up over the last few years… driving consumer interest.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, so it everything else in the world. Why buy a jaguar when a used Toyota will do. Jaguar like people and the company make it a better then other item.

Same with Kona but it isn't ironman it is the consumer.

Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how I feel about it. I may have a chance of qualifying for Kona one day (with some luck and a weaker field) but I have ZERO chance of actually competing for the win in Kona. I think there are a lot of people in the same boat which is why for a good chunk of people Kona is more about the atmosphere, location and legacy than the actual "World Championship" part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Yes but I said spectators FLY there not drive.

So think of that people FLY to kona to not even be able to watch most of the race. I guess it is the Holy grail.
It will be the holy grail and we love it is the holy grail. He know it is the race and must be the race.

70.3 worlds this weekend was good, but it was no kona lead up, kona peak fitness and kona media buzz.

Remember Penticton used to have the volunteer army. Then it became challenge and had very few Volunteers.

Ironman was the focus, athletes used to have to sign up the next day in town for the following year so would volunteer and family came to watch and volunteer. Take 2000 races out of the event and lose all the volunteers that traveled with them.

kona these people go and don't know anyone racing.

Bah, fly, drive... people willing to travel.

Anyone flying to Kona to watch at least knows the pros, if not a few AG's.

Challenge Penticton had "i want to see if anyone else will show up before I show up problem".
Fewer participants means fewer people willing to volunteer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a whole generation of athletes who enter the sport, train and compete with the goal of *specifically* getting to Kona. If the race moves, or starts a rotation, or any of the other suggestions offered in this thread then Ironman is in danger of losing those athletes. The rest of their races are a funnel to get those folks to Kona. It seriously waters down the brand if the race becomes a traveling road show. True, a whole new group of athletes may come into the sport as a result, but my guess is that it would be a net negative.

Brand identifiers matter. It's tough to quantify, and easy to assume that the buzz/allure/fandom will simply follow the race if they choose to go somewhere else.

Near term - WTC should absolutely have a WC somewhere than can hold it in these Covid times. Long term - they have to find a way to get back to Kona if they want to keep a large portion of their customer base engaged.
Quote Reply

Prev Next