Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu
Quote | Reply
  I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

https://open.spotify.com/...lWtQ&dl_branch=1

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hey, we somehow got onto this boat with these billionaires for this post race party and now all these UK billionaires want to bid for this triathlon race they just saw."

I feel like every ProTriNews podcast is a very lower enlisted "no-shit there I was story" that my troops used to tell every time we'd be in the field for over a week.

ETA: This isn't to be negative, I find the parallels epically hilarious.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 19, 21 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to messic while in line to start he swim. Basically I begged him to leave it in Kona. He said he may not have a choice. Then he kinda smiled and said don’t worry or something like that.. I got the feeling he knew where it was going and it wasn’t likely to be Kona.. ugggh. I begged more and asked him to be patient. Please not st George, please
Side note I was the the first wave and it was weird how wet the carpet was… I swear it hadn’t rained yet. So nasty.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
I talked to messic while in line to start he swim. Basically I begged him to leave it in Kona. He said he may not have a choice. Then he kinda smiled and said don’t worry or something like that.. I got the feeling he knew where it was going and it wasn’t likely to be Kona.. ugggh. I begged more and asked him to be patient. Please not st George, please
Side note I was the the first wave and it was weird how wet the carpet was… I swear it hadn’t rained yet. So nasty.

I’m 100% with Dan on this one: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._WC_Status_8081.html

Carpet was good by me: no pebbles and smooth carpet the whole way. They really knocked it out of the park all around! Wow

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant pee all over the carpet.. haha it was nasty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

https://open.spotify.com/...lWtQ&dl_branch=1

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

Ok, just listened and I’m going to put it in the “controversy is good for triathlon” category.

A few things though, whining about the swim being a bit bumpy? Another one was when Talbot said they would be racing 3 ironmans next year and they were like “no, when you get top 5 at WC you auto qualify”…lol.

I don’t mind these guys, they make the races interesting….but there’s going to be a lot of counter smack talk!!!!

If people are bored and like these podcasts then I would encourage them to have a listen.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Sep 19, 21 21:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Miles has posters of Sam on his bedroom wall, maybe even has a Sam Long duvet cover 😂

I live in Norway and this is not them being arrogant. They believe in themselves and they don’t let doubt creep in. Believe me there are arrogant people in Norway and these 2 are nothing like them. The other thing to consider is that they are talking in their second language, and often translations from Norwegian to English are very direct, it can take some getting used to.

Of course they are cocky too, and very confident, but they definitely have a right to be so as long as they back it up.

Interestingly in the UK there is a perception that Americans are arrogant because of the way they talk and self promote. I’ll have to ask the Mrs what the Norwegian stereotypes of Americans are now I think of it.

It’s actually fun seeing the smack talk and wondering how the guys from different countries take it. What’s normal/acceptable in Australia, UK, USA, Norway, Canada, Germany etc is vastly different.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get to St George from aus and Europe and is there much accomodation?

One of the challenges with kona is the expense and limited hotels.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The podcast is hilarious, these guys are great for the sport. The rumor about the April race is a small part of this interview. The better and more entertaining part is the smack talk.....So many small hilarious comments about Sanders and Iden talking smack about Blumenthal. The final part with Iden talking about his account on OnlyFans is pretty damn funny too.....Triathlon might actually have some fun characters to listen to the next 5-10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The smacktalk was fun, the main uncool part was talking about Jan/Brownlee/Gomez not showing up in the twilight of their career in fear of getting their reputations hurt by coming 3rd or 4th...but then asked why Cozumel and not California, he gave roughly the same excuse that Jan gave which was "sticking to my plan" . You never know when you have a bad injury of accidentt and time at the top is fleeting so so talking down former champions seemed a bit out of line given that they have stood the test of time. But as some said on here, it may be the translation, but it seemed uncalled for since Jan just beat Iden at Collins Cup after doing an Ironman in July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don't think they can hold the race in February then I guess something is better than nothing . . . but for me personally, I don't think I would do this event.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Jan wasn't qualified. Brownlee was and Gomez was. Brownlee ended up getting injured and I have no idea about Javier.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
The podcast is hilarious, these guys are great for the sport. The rumor about the April race is a small part of this interview. The better and more entertaining part is the smack talk.....So many small hilarious comments about Sanders and Iden talking smack about Blumenthal. The final part with Iden talking about his account on OnlyFans is pretty damn funny too.....Triathlon might actually have some fun characters to listen to the next 5-10 years.

When he sang Jenni from the Block I was dying! Hilarious. and his bit about not knowing anyone at the start line …

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funniest part was when they asked Iden why he was going to train with Lionel instead of Blu and he said he needed to train with someone without limits 😂😂😂
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
The funniest part was when they asked Iden why he was going to train with Lionel instead of Blu and he said he needed to train with someone without limits 😂😂😂

and then Blu said he needs someone with the funny run style … their humor toys with arrogance to an extreme.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 20, 21 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may sound arrogant to hear Iden say he knew he had the win coming out of T2 but who legitimately was going to catch him 3 mins up the road? Of course he could have blown up on the run but seems like he knows how to keep things under control. He needed stronger runners coming off the bike with him and Brownlee, Gomez and a qualified Frodeno could have been that competition. I wouldn't say he's arrogant but he definitely doesn't sound humble! I thought it was an entertaining interview either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always knew that someday the WC would leave Hawaii.
Once it's gone, it's not coming back.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. I think they'll move it as a one-off due to the 'rona, and then it's going right back to Hawaii as soon as it is feasible.

Kona is their sacred cow. Everybody there knows that.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100%
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona is definitely the sacred cow. Especially at like $1200USD an entry. IMO little to no AGer is going to want to race a WC. They want to race Kona. The way COVID is going i cannot see a global influx of 10,000 people to Hawaii for a week happening for years. It seems so distant a possibility. and Ironman need to clear the backlog of WC qualifiers. I forecast they will say AGers qualified for WC have to race WC regardless of location or forfeit their spot/transfer to another event of choosing/partial refund type scenario.

Its a no win for Ironman for sure.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StG is awesome but I have raced there so much. I don't want "Kona" to be in StG.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to see how Europeans are finding these guys less arrogant than Americans seems to. I'd definitely say they are cheeky and playful, but I don't see any arrogance there. Supreme confidence rather.
Anyway, it's great fun, and I hope we have more interviews like that. Also, those guys together hold the past three 70.3 WC (counting Daytona as one), the Olympic gold, the WTS title, so...if anyone is allowed to be cheeky, it's really them. Can't wait for Sacramento.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Kona is definitely the sacred cow. Especially at like $1200USD an entry. IMO little to no AGer is going to want to race a WC. They want to race Kona. .

Totally agree with this. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago in another thread when this was being discussed but nobody answered: How many people are going to want to pay $1200 to race a random IM designated as a WC but in another venue? Especially when they can race the same venue another year for a fraction of the cost and chaos involved? Kona feels worth the cost and chaos for a lot of reasons most people understand. I totally get moving it for a year or 2 because we all know what a mess things are, but rotating it seems like it would remove a whole lot of the appeal.

Also isn't it more than a bit risky racing in St. George in April? I raced there in 2010 and the race was May 1st and 2 days before the race it snowed at the highest altitudes on the bike course and that was the coldest swim in I think any race I've ever done, and I certainly don't live somewhere that I am often doing warm swims. I realize that may have been an anomaly of a year though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I disagree. I think they'll move it as a one-off due to the 'rona, and then it's going right back to Hawaii as soon as it is feasible.

Agree x3-4 or whatever.

“Kona” is the brand which transcends the target user group to the larger public.

It really comes down to whether the brand of “Ironman” has outgrown the brand of “kona”

Or the third option whether or not those two brands are inextricably linked, that’s my view and my personal opinion that this is just Messik quietly engaging in a bit of leverage, which btw is expected.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

It might not be up to Ironman.
Every race director knows that an event needs the approval of the local govt and community to take place.
Hawaii isn't hurting for tourism even in Covid times.
Once the event is gone they might realize they don't need it and don't miss it either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next