Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
xcchampion11 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
can somebody post a picture of the slot breakdown this morning?

sylvan wrote:
KpC wrote:
I second the motion for a KQ slot matrix. I'm assuming the wetsuit optional makes it a bit more complicated than just the usual starters algorithm?
No, it's the same. Wetsuits don't count as starters. It's freezing at the finish line. I'm wrapped up in a heat sheet.

M18-24 1; F18-24 1
M25-29 4; F25-29 2
M30-34 6; F30-34 3
M35-39 8; F35-39 3
M40-44 10; F40-44 4
M45-49 9; F45-49 4
M50-54 6; F50-54 2
M55-59 3; F55-59 1
M60-64 2; F60-64 1
M65-69 1; F65-69 1
M70-74 1
M75-79 1
M80+ 1

x2

I screwed up! Sorry. It's 4 M25, 3 M55. Sheets aren't posted yet but will in time to open here.

new disclaimer: anything I post on slowtwitch is unofficial and unauthorized.

could you note the roll down for 18-25. 25-29, and 60-64 for me (if any)? :D
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Jnags7 wrote:
BBS is awesome- earlier in the week it had me going 4:35 with a South wind (which the weather channel app was showing at one time). I want to go back and do their race/aero analyzer thing. I think when it had the North wind it had me at 4:45, which was pretty spot on. I didn't catch that it had the course at 110.3 tho.

I also just love the story behind BBS.

What is the BBS backstory?

Sir Isaac Newton

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I post a pic here? I'm not good with techno thingers like this

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:

upload to tinypic.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:

You don't need to upload to tinypic.

In advanced editor, just click the little "image" icon on the toolbar. In basic editor, just use the "upload attachment" thingy below and check the box for "inline"

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
sylvan wrote:

You don't need to upload to tinypic.

In advanced editor, just click the little "image" icon on the toolbar. In basic editor, just use the "upload attachment" thingy below and check the box for "inline"

that works too
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
sylvan wrote:

upload to tinypic.com
It's not a tiny pic, it says it's too big.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Yay, thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish someone would Periscope or FBL the roll down

sylvan wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Yay, thanks.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm FBL now.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
He was referring to JR dropping out. It was JR who posted a FB video of him assembling his bike the other day.

I understand but am not sure if Jordan had a mechanical or just wasn't "feeling it" today. They mentioned PA had a mechanical in the same post where they mentioned Jordan pulling the plug. Perhaps I missed another post.

Hugh

I'll leave it up to Jordan to comment on why, but I was A few meters behind when he pulled Suddenly. It was a mechanical.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
xcchampion11 wrote:
sylvan wrote:

upload to tinypic.com
It's not a tiny pic, it says it's too big.

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
sciguy wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
He was referring to JR dropping out. It was JR who posted a FB video of him assembling his bike the other day.

I understand but am not sure if Jordan had a mechanical or just wasn't "feeling it" today. They mentioned PA had a mechanical in the same post where they mentioned Jordan pulling the plug. Perhaps I missed another post.

Hugh

I'll leave it up to Jordan to comment on why, but I was A few meters behind when he pulled Suddenly. It was a mechanical.

My seatpost was slipping. I had not had any trouble with it at home in the month+ of riding the bike. But since coming to the woodlands, the same torque didn't seem to hold securely (and yes, I did actually re-do everything about my build after I did the FBLive build). Not sure why. Maybe the humidity? Change from hotel room (AC) to outside? Maybe I didn't get the expansion plug put back EXACTLY the same way when I built it back up after travel. Anyway, I'm not sure. But after about an hour, it was clear from my saddle height marker tape that my saddle had dropped about 10-15mm, and I was starting to feel it in my hip flexors. So I pulled over to raise my saddle.

But it was clear that something was off even before that. A slipping seatpost doesn't explain why I came out of the water 2min+ back of where I should have been. Matt Hanson and I are very comparable swimmers, and even if you say that he had a career best swim (which I think he did), I still came out 2min+ back of Ronnie Schildknect, another guy I swim with at virtually any race we both do.

Anyway, my basic conclusion is that I've figured out how to manage training with a bunch of young kids, but that I'm still figuring out the recovery aspect. I was able to do exactly what I thought I needed in the two months leading up to Texas. I just think, with four kids, it probably takes me a bit longer to bounce back from that - because I can't just completely shut down outside of training the way I could before - than it used to.

At both IMTX and Kona last year, I did the gut-it-out-and-finish. But especially after Kona, which was by far the hardest Ironman I've ever done, where I basically dragged myself the last 20miles of the marathon, I simply couldn't do that again on this day. And I knew that was what I had in front of me, so I called it early.

While, given the nature of how the race played out, my slipping seatpost could have been a huge factor had everything else gone right, on this day, it was just another sign that good fortune was not on my side.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I was surprised there was 2700 feet with elevation change. Overpasses add up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
BBS had course pre race at 110.3 so was interesting to see how accurate it would be, was once again dead on.

I worked the 2-5:00pm shift as a Volunteer Bike Handler. I am guessing I racked 25-35 bikes during that time frame and every bike computer that was left on read 109 miles and change.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was rounding, mine said 109.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
sciguy wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

Hugh

My seatpost was slipping. I had not had any trouble with it at home in the month+ of riding the bike. But since coming to the woodlands, the same torque didn't seem to hold securely (and yes, I did actually re-do everything about my build after I did the FBLive build). Not sure why. Maybe the humidity? Change from hotel room (AC) to outside? Maybe I didn't get the expansion plug put back EXACTLY the same way when I built it back up after travel. Anyway, I'm not sure. But after about an hour, it was clear from my saddle height marker tape that my saddle had dropped about 10-15mm, and I was starting to feel it in my hip flexors. So I pulled over to raise my saddle.

But it was clear that something was off even before that. A slipping seatpost doesn't explain why I came out of the water 2min+ back of where I should have been. Matt Hanson and I are very comparable swimmers, and even if you say that he had a career best swim (which I think he did), I still came out 2min+ back of Ronnie Schildknect, another guy I swim with at virtually any race we both do.

Anyway, my basic conclusion is that I've figured out how to manage training with a bunch of young kids, but that I'm still figuring out the recovery aspect. I was able to do exactly what I thought I needed in the two months leading up to Texas. I just think, with four kids, it probably takes me a bit longer to bounce back from that - because I can't just completely shut down outside of training the way I could before - than it used to.

At both IMTX and Kona last year, I did the gut-it-out-and-finish. But especially after Kona, which was by far the hardest Ironman I've ever done, where I basically dragged myself the last 20miles of the marathon, I simply couldn't do that again on this day. And I knew that was what I had in front of me, so I called it early.

While, given the nature of how the race played out, my slipping seatpost could have been a huge factor had everything else gone right, on this day, it was just another sign that good fortune was not on my side.

Jordan, sorry to hear about your mechanical (but when I saw you walking the bike I was worried that it might be something worse). I was thinking today about how as we grow older (and have kids) we probably need more time for tapering than we realize, that once worked for tapering is no longer sufficient.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I was surprised there was 2700 feet with elevation change. Overpasses add up.

Can anyone confirm that? Unfortunately my 920XT crapped out during the race. And my Edge 500. Hell, anything that said Garmin on it failed on Saturday (even the damn HRM).

Anyways, that sounds like an awfully high number, it sure didn't feel like that much.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/activities/953695991

That is the file. I agree with you though, seems too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
https://www.strava.com/activities/953695991

That is the file. I agree with you though, seems too high.

Thanks for posting that. The updated IM course map is claiming 1224 ft, which seems a little on the low side. Maybe I'm way off base here, if you budget 50 ft/climb and say 10 overpasses each leg done four times, there's 2000 ft right there, 2700 might not be terribly far off.

Outstanding effort, btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Strava have an elevation correction function? First thing I noticed about that file is that the start and finish elevations are different by ~80 feet.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 2513ft on my Edge 500. I can relate to your Garmin troubles. They seem to know when it is race day or a breakthrough workout.

imagine.believe.achieve
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [mark709] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garmin had 1650ft when i correct with strava (i find to be more accurate) it came out to 2100ft.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next