Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fwiw I've been catching Uber's all over town and it's been great.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, you will see a mega church as you go to swim start
They also use the parking areas that on Saturday will be filled with spectator vehicles.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I know the horrible answer to this question but were we supposed to get our timing chip when we checked in? I drove 45 minutes to race site went through the tent and followed the tables, got my bag and band but did not see timing table (Or wasn't paying attention) but was never instructed to go there "next". So I assume it's back to the Woodlands to get timing chip? ):
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [trying to tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to tri wrote:
I think I know the horrible answer to this question but were we supposed to get our timing chip when we checked in? I drove 45 minutes to race site went through the tent and followed the tables, got my bag and band but did not see timing table (Or wasn't paying attention) but was never instructed to go there "next". So I assume it's back to the Woodlands to get timing chip? ):

Yep, it was the table to your left before you went on through to the merchandise store after check-in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone opt for a swim skin over wetsuit on a borderline wetsuit legal swim due to overheating?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [kenny2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your planned swim intensity would play a pretty large part in that decision. Can't
imagine getting too hot if you are going to cruise the swim. If it's a weapon for
you or you are planning on bridging a group or hanging on to feet then maybe??
Just a guess here...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [kenny2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kenny2525 wrote:
Anyone opt for a swim skin over wetsuit on a borderline wetsuit legal swim due to overheating?

Will be a game-day decision for me. Swam NOLA 70.3 last year that was around 74 (if memory serves) in a wetsuit and I was roasting. By the end of the course I was stopping every 100 yards to yank the neck down and get a dose of cool water. Gotta think if I'm doing that I'm burning most of the speed benefit you get wearing a wetsuit.
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Apr 20, 17 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who have done this before, I noticed in the videos from previous years that the path from the bike racks to the mount point was soupy mud. Seems most everyone decided to carry their bikes, but there were some interesting things going on to avoid the mud (trash bags/ziploc bags over shoes, running out barefoot and trying to put socks on at the mount line, etc). Has this changed, and if not, anyone care to share what works best for them?
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Apr 20, 17 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to tri wrote:

Every WTC race I've done has had timing chips available on race day, because inevitably some people forget theirs, and they need a chip. Check out your race handbook and you might be able to avoid driving all the way back to the race venue.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Every WTC race I've done has had timing chips available on race day, because inevitably some people forget theirs, and they need a chip. Check out your race handbook and you might be able to avoid driving all the way back to the race venue.
Correct, although to do the practice swim Friday he'd need a chip issued at registration. No exceptions to that.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Free opportunity to Hot Tub on Sunday, April 23 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last summer I purchased a hot tub and have become addicted and spoiled. After having a quality hot tub, hotel hot tubs just dont do it. I called around the Woodlands to see if there was a hot tub/spa place that would let me "test out" a hot tub for a quick post-race pick me up on Sunday. Glacier pool supplies and spas agreed...and also wanted to open this up to other Ironman athletes.

If you are interested in stopping by to soothe your tired muscles between 1-4:30pm on Sunday call 832-246-8541 to let them know you are coming and "reserve" a time. You can check out their website at glacierpooltx.com They are only about 5 minutes from the race venue at 27832 Interstate 45 N in a little shopping mall area. See you there!

Disclaimer: I do not work for glacier pools and am in no way connected to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Free opportunity to Hot Tub on Sunday, April 23 [Jtaylorh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went by the swim finish and transition area this afternoon. Man what a mess! They are literally landscaping the entire hillside where you come out the water. Not to mention the two dump truck loads of mulch on the path that the run will be on. I'm sure it'll be done by race day, but man they're cutting it close.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
kenny2525 wrote:

Will be a game-day decision for me. Swam NOLA 70.3 last year that was around 74 (if memory serves) in a wetsuit and I was roasting. By the end of the course I was stopping every 100 yards to yank the neck down and get a dose of cool water. Gotta think if I'm doing that I'm burning most of the speed benefit you get wearing a wetsuit.

I have roasted in a wetsuit before at 75.5, one of my absolute worst swims that took a lot out of me for the rest of the race. If they declare it legal, I will use a pair of Roka sim shorts instead of a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to tri wrote:

As you have to go back today to drop off your bike and gear, can you reach out to Ironman Texas while there and check into picking your missing chip then?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen some people saying their won't be live GPS tracking or the usual race coverage on ironman.com.... does anyone have more information on that? I've seen some friends posting their Beacon Tracking links, so I would assume these would still work, right?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water is 78 degrees for the practice swim this morning! Z
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
I've seen some people saying their won't be live GPS tracking or the usual race coverage on ironman.com.... does anyone have more information on that? I've seen some friends posting their Beacon Tracking links, so I would assume these would still work, right?

No idea about the genuine Ironman athlete tracking, but my experience has been they just report when you go over timing mats scattered throughout the course. It's more like split time reporting and less like "tracking" in the literal sense.

Beacon is an independent service, their tracking fobs broadcast location/speed/heading over cellular data and won't report on the IM website.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are the rules again?

tomziebart wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.

Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).

Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures 76.2 degrees Farhrenheit (24.55 degrees Celsius) and up to 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.77 degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including World Championship or Rolldown slots.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz4etn4ZLGx

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Beacon tracking my last two Ironmans, IMAZ 2015 and IM Boulder 2016. I've had mixed experiences with it and opted not to do it tomorrow. One less thing to have to worry about on race day. The ironman.com website works and is used by my family. I've heard there are apps for iPhone and Android based phones as well.
Last edited by: jkenney: Apr 21, 17 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:

Tom any chance you guys could post here tomorrow morning after you take the temp? Or if not here will someone be posting/tweeting somewhere else?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Tom any chance you guys could post here tomorrow morning after you take the temp? Or if not here will someone be posting/tweeting somewhere else?
I'll try to post as soon as I hear - that'll hopefully be not too long after 4 am. I'll have my radio on by 3:30 and will know as soon as swim guys announce the official temp.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's over 76.1 will there be a separation between the 300 or so athletes racing without wetsuits and the other 2,200 that will still be wearing wetsuits?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have race number tats to apply tonight...for body marking, what goes on your legs? Age goes on one leg (right leg?) but what if anything goes on the left leg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shaping up into worst case scenario for me:
non-wetsuit swim (optional)
Rain for the whole bike ride
Sun and heat for the whole run

Good luck and have a safe race everyone

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply