Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Everything is gated in that point, don't worry about it, you will not go the wrong way.

Yep, pretty much impossible to get confused once the course is set up.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"then run south down Waterway Avenue to the finish."

Ha! I think you meant to type "then run up Waterway Avenue to the finish." The finish is a little twist of the knife IMO...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
I'll be taking it every day from now until race. I took it twice today to show everyone how much it can fluctuate from morning to afternoon. The team practice right around the corner from Northshore park so it's easy for me to do after coaching in the morning and afternoon. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/magnoliamasters

Tim

Quick question. How exactly are you finding the temperature of the lake? Are going going out on a boat and measuring the temp 2-3ft below the surface? Or just from the "shore"?

Thank you for your updates!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Standby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is getting it off the dock on the surface. The surface temps he has gotten has been cooler than the temps held ~ at foot underwater (presumably because it's very shallow water and the ground absorbs a lot of that heat).... not sure what the difference between surface and subsurface would be in deeper water.

Click on his Facebook link. His videos have been very informing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you get to go up a little bit of a hill at the end!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Standby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm taking the temperature from the end of a boat dock that extends out into the lake. After working the event/swim course for a few years for Ironman it's pretty consistent with the water temp of the rest of the lake.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yep. Sunday looks outstanding, naturally.

At least they've knocked down the forecasted rainfall amounts, if not so much the chances.

It looks like a pretty good chance of thunderstorms in the morning.

How long can they delay/suspend the race before they have to cancel? I was at HIM Austin last fall, and they waited about 2 hours to start the swim due to fog, and then ended up cancelling the swim.

I know it's only Monday, but this is my first Ironman and I'd be devastated if I couldn't do the whole thing because of the weather. I've put in a lot of work in the hopes of becoming an Ironman...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [tigeraggie85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine not long, but only guessing. It a ironman either way, can't change the weather and gota roll with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not worry about things you cannot control. Everybody's in the same boat. Focus on your taper, equipment prep and nutrition. Have the best race you can, no matter the conditions. Worrying about weather will only damage your race.

Also don't worry about arbitrary distances to validate your accomplishments! You did the work. You'll race the race. No one can do more.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change tents for men and women?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Separate ones for men and women's.

Same tents are used in T1 and T2.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I imagine not long, but only guessing. It a ironman either way, can't change the weather and gota roll with it.

Good advice. That said, I would not expect WTC to cancel or suspend anything unless it there was obvious risk to safety. As it stands, Texas did not even come close to selling out general entries this year (from their website: "A few hundred general entry slots remain!") and any truncation of distances, two years in a row, would be like a knife in the heart of 2018 sales -- which is currently a go for the same venue next year.

"Onsite sign-ups for currently registered athletes will be available during Athlete Check-In on Wednesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 20. Onsite sign-ups for volunteers and the general public will be available on Sunday, April 23 from 8am-10am CT in the registration tent located in the IRONMAN Village."

But note this:

"General entry registration is tentatively scheduled to open on Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at Noon ET on http://www.ironman.com/texas. The priority registration links will be sent approximately 7 days prior to the general registration launch. If you have any questions or concerns, please email texas@ironman.com."

Why the long delay before opening up for the next year? That's not typical practice and does not inspire confidence in the subsequent year's date. So any problem with this year's race could be exceptionally damaging for a repeat in 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a large difference between not selling out a race and not being a successful race. I think someone counted up 2600+ entrants for this year's race. I think WTC's doing just fine with those numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken; except this is a company that can't even make a profit on an OLY with 700 entries and will/has canceled.

Perhaps the gap between early and open registration for 2018 is due to permitting -- similar to last year. I.e., if a permit is not in place by July, they cancel the race and refund the early entrants (or more likely, point them to another race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigeraggie85 wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

At least they've knocked down the forecasted rainfall amounts, if not so much the chances.

How long can they delay/suspend the race before they have to cancel? I was at HIM Austin last fall, and they waited about 2 hours to start the swim due to fog, and then ended up cancelling the swim.

I know it's only Monday, but this is my first Ironman and I'd be devastated if I couldn't do the whole thing because of the weather. I've put in a lot of work in the hopes of becoming an Ironman...

Thunderstorms here have been patchy and light on the whole lightning thing, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Will be my first as well, but we're all along for the ride when it comes to the weather!

Gotta ask with a screen name like that, LSU or A&M?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
tigeraggie85 wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Thunderstorms here have been patchy and light on the whole lightning thing, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Will be my first as well, but we're all along for the ride when it comes to the weather!

Gotta ask with a screen name like that, LSU or A&M?

haha, good catch! I went to LSU for a couple of years and finished at A&M. I loved my time at both schools. Football season is very fun for me until November...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

According to the Houston Chronicle, approval to use the toll road for 2018 has been requested:

http://www.chron.com/...Ironman-11031546.php

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A&M class of 2010 myself, and married into a die-hard Aggie family, we try not to think about November anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
A&M class of 2010 myself, and married into a die-hard Aggie family, we try not to think about November anymore.

Historically November hasn't been very good for you. :-)

Hook'em
76–37–5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone seen the you tube video of the course: man that course looks boring as hell but also pretty darned fast. Looks like the cement barriers will block a lot of wind to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

Historically November hasn't been very good for you. :-)

Hook'em
76–37–5.

Damn, walked right into that one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Everyone seen the you tube video of the course: man that course looks boring as hell but also pretty darned fast. Looks like the cement barriers will block a lot of wind to.

I watched it. It isn't going to score any points for scenic beauty, and has the potential to be a real draft fest if the marshals don't do their jobs. Also, I don't know if the parkway sidewalls will block much wind. We'll just have to see how it shakes out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmtXBCZ1K9I

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be right about the sidewalls, i am hoping for some wind! I don't normally get much company on the bike anyways, well i did get to ride with Sean H. at galveston till he rode away from me :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looks like the cement barriers will block a lot of wind to.

Doubtful.

At the moment the forecast is for a WNW wind on Saturday. That's actually opposite the normal pattern - which is a SE wind. There's a good chance the corridor of trees will act as a funnel and channel the wind down the toll road. This should make for a mostly tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back to The Woodlands.
Quote Reply

Prev Next