Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMKONA cant last [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kind of the opposite as I have done Switz 2x, Western Oz, Canada 2x and the Patagonman (not an IM, I know), and have only done the 70.3 in Austria, Nice and the one in Chattanooga (which seems very foreign when you read it).

I prefer to race globally but do like StG and have had my fill of Kona. I have been to Maui or Kona ever year since 2011 except in 2019 and 2020.

Bring on the global WC! It's time to make the sport a true global one!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [littlepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had previously commented on this forum that kona should go on rotation. A few weeks back I surprised myself at IM Cairns and picked up a Kona slot (2nd time going). I debated not going due to the high costs, but in the end ill go, leave the kids at home and just take my wife as that is what we can afford, 6 day trip.

Anyways…. The point is, I’ve changed my tune, no other location would get me this excited, this willing to find $10,000 for a 6 day trip. So I backflip on my comments, and hope Kona stays put. I doubt Ill ever get back there again, I got lucky with field a little weaker and being bottom of 40-45 age group helped, but I was 3rd and we had 6 slots so pretty amazing outcome after being 28th in age group below last year and thinking I was way out of every contending again.

Im staying 35km up the highway, its going to be a pain im arse to get around, but I am there. I hope Ironman run some race morning shuttle buses with so many people staying out of the main area.

Also, now having booked late there is a shit load of accom but its out of way. At cairns they bus us 30km to the race start so its not really any different to that, so run buses please Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
I had previously commented on this forum that kona should go on rotation. A few weeks back I surprised myself at IM Cairns and picked up a Kona slot (2nd time going). I debated not going due to the high costs, but in the end ill go, leave the kids at home and just take my wife as that is what we can afford, 6 day trip.

Anyways…. The point is, I’ve changed my tune, no other location would get me this excited, this willing to find $10,000 for a 6 day trip. So I backflip on my comments, and hope Kona stays put. I doubt Ill ever get back there again, I got lucky with field a little weaker and being bottom of 40-45 age group helped, but I was 3rd and we had 6 slots so pretty amazing outcome after being 28th in age group below last year and thinking I was way out of every contending again.

Im staying 35km up the highway, its going to be a pain im arse to get around, but I am there. I hope Ironman run some race morning shuttle buses with so many people staying out of the main area.

Also, now having booked late there is a shit load of accom but its out of way. At cairns they bus us 30km to the race start so its not really any different to that, so run buses please Ironman.

Interesting comments, I raced in 2003/2004 and had such an experience in 2004 (2nd flat, hours waiting for a wheel, race my roommate final 500m for the last beer in the fridge) that I sort of settled on not going back.

Since 2013 most years either my wife or athletes have been there so I went as support, I really loved the event not having to race….but in August I am 50 and the goal is to qualify just so I know I can again but maybe not go…I think my wife would make me though so she could hang out and have fun.

After Having done a lot of local races (penticton x8, Whistler x3, CDA x3 Victoria half a million times since 1995….it’s going to take an epic location to get me motivated.

Next year either Europe or maybe Philippines? Possibly Aus, I did the Forster race 3x and absolutely loved my stay in Australia.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a great race do a 70.3 in Philippines, Cebu is amazing! Huge crowd amazing water to swim in, epic heat! Prob best race out of Kona on planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying in general.

The slots for Kona rolled down to place 35 (M44-49, my AG) in Frankfurt last weekend. So many people didn´t take their slot because of the insane costs involved (a thousand Euo entry fee, for what? And this is just the beginning). So the concept of a World Championship is watered down even more, because it is not for the fastest athletes, but for the most affluent.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Replying in general.

The slots for Kona rolled down to place 35 (M44-49, my AG) in Frankfurt last weekend. So many people didn´t take their slot because of the insane costs involved (a thousand Euo entry fee, for what? And this is just the beginning). So the concept of a World Championship is watered down even more, because it is not for the fastest athletes, but for the most affluent.

Roll down has always happened, so we will never get "the very best" every year at Kona. It's still the race the vast majority of folks want to get too at some point
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting a Kona slot in Frankfurt with a time with just under 10 hours (M44-49) was pretty much impossible. A trip to Kona for me and my family would be around 20000 Euros. Which is insane. It will be or already is a WC for the rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
European resident here.

If I were given a choice between Kona and Roth, I’d go to Roth, without question. (And if I ever intend to do a 140.6, I’ll go to Roth).

All expenses paid? I’d consider Kona, but not sure with the brutal climate and long travel.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jun 29, 22 3:12
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done both, IMHO Roth had a better all-around atmosphere but Kona hit the spot for its rich history.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Archibald wrote:
Replying in general.

Roll down has always happened, so we will never get "the very best" every year at Kona. It's still the race the vast majority of folks want to get too at some point
Pre covid roll down slots I ever went to never had more than about two turn it down. And it was almost 100% because either already had a slot or have been there before and had a family so couldn’t justify the cost to go again. The first year I qualified in Melbourne 2014 in 35-39 there were 14 slots. It rolled to 17 and I finished 18th. Luckily the only 60-64 male athlete and guaranteed spot wasn’t there so it rolled back into 35-39. I can’t vouch for other countries but a vast majority of the very best from the Asia Pacific were generally always there.

I think post covid be it financial, the uncertainty of travel or the virus itself is causing a drop in demand. Maybe like me I’ve reassessed my life through covid and have other priorities I find more important than racing Kona again???
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
European resident here.

If I were given a choice between Kona and Roth, I’d go to Roth, without question. (And if I ever intend to do a 140.6, I’ll go to Roth).

All expenses paid? I’d consider Kona, but not sure with the brutal climate and long travel.

Could just be me, but this one misses the point.

If I were ever just given Kona, I wouldn't care to go. But instead I missed qualifying by one slot four times before I finally got the chance. So having had to earn it, of course I'm heading to the Big Island.

Roth on the other hand, while it's 100% on my list and looks amazing, is something I'll just try to sign up for. It's not an earned starting spot, just an amazing race venue.

Both cool, but very different. And can't be compared in a "if I were given either one" kinda way for me.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Replying in general.

This is a very large change from pre-covid. I feel it must be driven by something other than the cost, which is no doubt higher, but not enough higher compared to pre-covid to make this difference in my estimation.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cost is much more. I have been many times.

Entry - $1200 vs $960 in 2019 (estimated)
Car Rental - $1100 vs $480 in 2019
Condo - $3400 vs $1500 in 2019

I use United FF mile always for ticket but cost are definitely much higher!

Travel from EU and late qualifying will certainly be a big cost. I am even thinking of bailing this year and eat the $1200 already payed as there are far more hidden cost every year and I am not kidding myself this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Replying in general.

Were the Frankfurt slots for Kona 2022 or for 2023? If they were for 2022, I think that partially explains the deep rolldown. There's already been one IM championship this year and maybe a lot of the people who did St. George don't want to do a second one. Also, Kona 2022 isn't that far down the road, which perhaps limits some people in terms of travel or training. That being said, I agree with your point that Kona is a destination that largely limits the field to the wealthy.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
kajet wrote:
European resident here.

Could just be me, but this one misses the point.

If I were ever just given Kona, I wouldn't care to go. But instead I missed qualifying by one slot four times before I finally got the chance. So having had to earn it, of course I'm heading to the Big Island.

Roth on the other hand, while it's 100% on my list and looks amazing, is something I'll just try to sign up for. It's not an earned starting spot, just an amazing race venue.

Both cool, but very different. And can't be compared in a "if I were given either one" kinda way for me.

Just for a somewhat different perspective, for me just qualifying for Kona was the accomplishment. I was so excited to get the KQ, I didn't really care as much about actually doing the race, particularly given the exorbitant costs, so I declined my spot. Would I like to do Kona? Sure. But not enough to justify the cost and challenge of taking a vacation at a very inconvenient time. I can do plenty of good IMs closer to home. And if I'm going to spend five figures on a vacation (family of four), I'm probably not going to do it around a race that absorbs a big chunk of the vacation time. So I'm like MrRabbit-- I'd do Kona if someone else were paying. The reality I'm unlikely to ever do Kona. That doesn't mean I won't keep trying to re-qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was some discussion about the cost and availability of lodging.

There are cruise ships that are based in Hawaii, Oahu I believe. I wonder if they would be possible for IM to make arrangements to have one dock off Kailua Kona and the athletes, friends, family rent rooms, with all amenities as if on the cruise.

Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cruise ships that do pull up there anchor out at sea and have tender boats ferry tourists to and from shore. I don’t think there is anywhere to dock? It would be a logistical nightmare especially with bikes and annoying having to wait for a boat like a bus I am sure. The tender boats also use the pier to unload and load passengers and that becomes out bounds near race day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mentioned this in another thread about Kona accommodations. There was cruise ship banter regarding IM Alaska. Apparently cruise ships are prohibited from operating as hotels. So that’s a nonstarter.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
Having done both, IMHO Roth had a better all-around atmosphere but Kona hit the spot for its rich history.

Agreed. I've raced Kona and spectated Roth. Holy smokes that town comes out! Each "hotspot" on the course felt bigger and louder than a typical IM finish line.

I've done 17x IM and felt I was done with that distance for various reasons. But seeing Roth made me sign up for next year as my (likely) final 140.6.

On another note, in his latest video Sam Long said he won't do Kona unless the "rumor" is true: that this is the last year of IMWC in Kona. So the rumors have officially started.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
iron snorks wrote:

Agreed. I've raced Kona and spectated Roth. Holy smokes that town comes out! Each "hotspot" on the course felt bigger and louder than a typical IM finish line.

I've done 17x IM and felt I was done with that distance for various reasons. But seeing Roth made me sign up for next year as my (likely) final 140.6.

On another note, in his latest video Sam Long said he won't do Kona unless the "rumor" is true: that this is the last year of IMWC in Kona. So the rumors have officially started.

You need to try IM Wales, it's the best supported race I've done, which includes Roth. It a tough course, which is the opposite of Roth.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I wonder if this is why they're trying to get as many people in as they can?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One question,

If Ironman WC goes away from Hawaii,

Do you not think that acaso Endurance, or even a "non branded" Ironman with less than 1000 entries could be possible?

I mean, if ironman brand doesn't fit Kona, because the size, I believe that there is space for a triathlon more "human", for those People that dream to race there, and who are not thinking in WC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
iron snorks wrote:

Did Long explain why he won’t do Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
One question,

If Ironman WC goes away from Hawaii,

"WC" is a bit dodgy anyway: Ironman Hawaii used to be Ironman Hawaii alone before the label "WC" was attached to it. Although being a private company, for which it is strange to have a "WC", the public accepts it because the Ironman Hawaii is regarded the most important triathlon.
However, if Ironman goes away from Hawaii it only takes with them the empty shell "WC". I do not know whether the public is going to regard things which happened in St. George a "WC", only because it is labelled as such by Ironman.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 8, 22 23:58
Quote Reply
Re: IMKONA cant last [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
One question,

I believe that there is space for a triathlon more "human", for those People that dream to race there, and who are not thinking in WC.

How can other brands get to Kona? They do not have the many Qualification-races as Ironman has. So how will a small amount of people, lets say 1000, be selected? Without qualification?
Quote Reply

Prev Next