Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:

And here's my point: There is untaped opportunity here.

Ummm...I think these guys have that covered: http://www.kinesiotaping.com

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Given your extensive expertise in this area, and your research that such OUTDOOR testing should not be difficult in practice and also should yield highly precise results (both premises I absolutely agree with), then what do you think the reason is why bike manufacturers never show A/B comparison OUTDOOR data versus other bikes, if their frame is in fact, superior?

Because wind tunnel testing offers numerous advantages over testing outdoors - after all, that's why wind tunnels were invented in the 1st place.

Of course, now that CFD has been extensively developed and validated, it has started to become the "go to" instead of wind tunnel testing, for essentially the same reasons that wind tunnel testing supplanted testing outdoors (e.g., of airplanes).

The gold standard, though still should be outdoor results, if you are racing outdoors. Saying wind tunnels are advantageous does not change this - I can tests blood pressure medications in highly controlled laboratory conditions with highly controlled subjects, using parameters that have shown excellent correlation to how the med should function in the real-world, but until I actual provide that real-world testing data and results, it's all theoretical.

This is a core concept in Phase1-Phase4 clinical trials. No matter how well the drug performs in the lab or in selected controlled human subjects, you cannot skip the gold standard testing of actually showing the results after you give the drug to a range of people in the real world, if you wish to claim that your lab results hold up in actual practice.

I'm also ok with using 'next-best surrogate test' (like CFD) if real-world testing is too cost-prohibitive (jet engine testing) or difficult. But as you yourself show with your own studies, this is eminently NOT the case in outdoor bicycle frame speed testing, even if it's not absolutely perfect.

Here's some outdoor results for you...wasn't that hard to find...you really should get out more ;-)
http://www.bikeradar.com/...-aero-is-aero-19273/

I'm well aware of that study.

You guys keep trying to oversimplify the issue - this study is a good one, but only compares aerobars or aero position to the nonaero position.

It is NOT comparing similar-class bike frames, like Cervelo TT bike vs Specialized TT bike vs Kestrel TT bike outdoors, which is what we're discussing here when we're discussing wind tunnel claims.

But that 'study' is a good one - get the rider outdoors, and test him repeatedly on various types of gear, and the results, while not surprising, are good in my book - get down in those aerobars, and you can definitely measure a speed difference OUTDOORS.

I'm asking for bike companies to do the same type of trials on a similar course. Compare their bike frame to other bike frames in the same class outdoors, similarly as this 'ministudy' did. I'm happy to change my tune if you 'think I should get out more' provided you provide me to the link(s) of such outdoor comparisons.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Carl wrote:
without letting this go too much further into rabbit-hole/hijack territory...

lightheir wrote:
And of critical note in that document - the only time they compare other bike manufacturer designs to their bike is in the wind tunnel and velodrome.

ALL of the outdoor testing in that document is not against other bikes - it's just additional testing on their own frame with different yaw angles, etc. They specifically AVOID showing any data of testing various other bike frames against theirs outdoors.

not because there's something to hide, but because it wasn't the purpose of the testing. the point was to establish relevance of aero data even in drafting situations, period...not to establish whether or not one frame performed better than another in a given drafting situation. seemed like a prudent thing to investigate, since there's a chunk of the road market in particular which gets hung up on "but it all goes away in the real world when you're drafting"...conveniently forgetting that in the real world you're still moving through air.

<steps back into black helicopter>

It actually very might go away in the real world. If the external variable forces are enough to render the small gains of the aero frame immeasurable, those vaunted wind tunnel gains are in fact 'gone' on race day. It is critically important to interpret the magnitude of the speed gain relative to the expected variability of 'real world situations.'

This would be analogous to having a blood pressure drug, that in the lab, with humans, absolutely lowers blood pressure by 1mm HG in the lab, but has no measurable effect on BP out of the lab, due to the variability of human physiology/BP which makes a 1mmHG difference clinically useless. There is no clinician that would say that this was an effective hypertension drug worth prescribing to reduce real clinical hypertension, despite the rock-solid data that it really does lower blood pressure (by a measly 1 mmHG.)

They're NOT "gone on race day"...they're still there, it's just that unmeasured variables are making it difficult to compare results from separate runs. If you measure those variables and account for them, the differences stand.

Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Carl wrote:

lightheir wrote:
And of critical note in that document - the only time they compare other bike manufacturer designs to their bike is in the wind tunnel and velodrome.

ALL of the outdoor testing in that document is not against other bikes - it's just additional testing on their own frame with different yaw angles, etc. They specifically AVOID showing any data of testing various other bike frames against theirs outdoors.

not because there's something to hide, but because it wasn't the purpose of the testing. the point was to establish relevance of aero data even in drafting situations, period...not to establish whether or not one frame performed better than another in a given drafting situation. seemed like a prudent thing to investigate, since there's a chunk of the road market in particular which gets hung up on "but it all goes away in the real world when you're drafting"...conveniently forgetting that in the real world you're still moving through air.

It actually very might go away in the real world. If the external variable forces are enough to render the small gains of the aero frame immeasurable, those vaunted wind tunnel gains are in fact 'gone' on race day. It is critically important to interpret the magnitude of the speed gain relative to the expected variability of 'real world situations.'

This would be analogous to having a blood pressure drug, that in the lab, with humans, absolutely lowers blood pressure by 1mm HG in the lab, but has no measurable effect on BP out of the lab, due to the variability of human physiology/BP which makes a 1mmHG difference clinically useless. There is no clinician that would say that this was an effective hypertension drug worth prescribing to reduce real clinical hypertension, despite the rock-solid data that it really does lower blood pressure (by a measly 1 mmHG.)

They're NOT "gone on race day"...they're still there, it's just that unmeasured variables are making it difficult to compare results from separate runs. If you measure those variables and account for them, the differences stand.

And again, if I just simplified everything to 'it's there, you just can't detect it', I would right now be a billionaire several times over by investing in blood pressure and other medications that lower your BP by <1mmHG (clinically insignicant), but saying 'just because you can't measure it, it's still there so you should take this.'

Fortunately for the general public, the FDA folks are smart enough to know that doing this would be a bunch of bull.

I still stand by that if you can't even reliably measure the speed gain outdoors with a reasonable trial (like the article you link to above), you better seriously question whether you're gaining any advantage with it while racing, and seriously consider not spending any more time/energy looking at that variable compared to the other much more influential variables that DO show significant and measurable effects outdoors.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:15
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why should the manufacturers test more outside?

Those studies (along with logic and physics) demonstrate that drag values obtained within a wind tunnel match extremely close to the data measured outdoors, and to a level well capable of teasing out differences between frames. The correlation is there.

However, wind tunnel testing is significantly faster, easier, and more consistent.

They aren't going to test outside just because you don't get that...that would be a waste of time and resources.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except, of course, that's only what you're saying now, because it works better in your attempt to win the argument.

What you were suggesting earlier is much more along the lines of "It doesn't matter if these experimental protocols have been validated in real-world studies, unless real-world study results are shown every single time, the protocols can't be considered valid."

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Carl wrote:

lightheir wrote:

And again, if I just simplified everything to 'it's there, you just can't detect it', I would right now be a billionaire several times over by investing in blood pressure and other medications that lower your BP by <1mmHG (clinically insignicant), but saying 'just because you can't measure it, it's still there so you should take this.'

Fortunately for the general public, the FDA folks are smart enough to know that doing this would be a bunch of bull.

I still stand by that if you can't even reliably measure the speed gain outdoors with a reasonable trial (like the article you link to above), you better seriously question whether you're gaining any advantage with it while racing, and seriously consider not spending any more time/energy looking at that variable compared to the other much more influential variables that DO show significant and measurable effects outdoors.

So...does that mean you don't think someone could discern (outside) the difference between...oh, let's say, a P3C and a P2K for a given rider with the same position and kit/equipment?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Those studies (along with logic and physics) demonstrate that drag values obtained within a wind tunnel match extremely close to the data measured outdoors, and to a level well capable of teasing out differences between frames. The correlation is there.

However, wind tunnel testing is significantly faster, easier, and more consistent.

They aren't going to test outside just because you don't get that...that would be a waste of time and resources.

I'm saying that you cannot just choose to focus on the potentially insignificantly small effect of your aero frame, and just use idealized wind tunnel data, and then claim 'my frame is the fastest as per wind tunnel testing', when in outdoor practice, normally encountered variability can render that small measured effect irrelevant and unmeasurable.

It is absolutely NOT a waste of time and resources to test bikes outside the wind tunnel. That's something so easily done as per the article you linked to above, that it SHOULD be done, every time. Costs a HECK of a lot less than a wind tunnel, and is much closer to race situations.

We encounter this sort of 'avoid the-gold-standard test' approach all the time in biology and drug development. Companies might know full well that their drugs don't work as well as they claim in the fuzzier real world situation where real patients take the meds, but they try and pass off selected laboratory highly controlled studies with good results as surrogates measures. If someone is purposefully avoiding providing data that should otherwise easily be measured (and I consider the bikeradar 'experiment' a pretty easy one, at that), you must first ask why they would go through so much trouble to not do the easier outdoor experiment.

If bikeradar did that same trial with 5 bike frames, and couldn't measure a reliable difference, I would conclude 'no significant difference in aero advantages' for those frames, regardless of how well one of the performs in the wind tunnel. Likewise, if they showed that the Cervelo was reliably faster outdoors in those tests, but was last in the wind tunnel, I'd first make sure they weren't screwing up their methodology, but if the methods were sound, I'd go with the Cervelo as fastest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
...an analagous approach would be a coach advising someone to ignore the gains of aero vs nonaero bike frames and focus on rider position and aerobars instead.

It's OK to do BOTH though, right?...is that allowed??

Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Except, of course, that's only what you're saying now, because it works better in your attempt to win the argument.

What you were suggesting earlier is much more along the lines of "It doesn't matter if these experimental protocols have been validated in real-world studies, unless real-world study results are shown every single time, the protocols can't be considered valid."

No, not what I'm saying at all.

I don't think it's true at all that bike tunnel speed differences have shown to be reliably measurable outdoors. I think that's what they would LIKE you to believe, but I don't think it's true whatsoever, and the lack of data on it (contrary to the attempts above to discredit me on this belief) is pretty telling.

I think the tiny differences they're dealing with are so small that they are very likely irrelevant outdoors even with near-ideal outdoor conditions.

Not one single decent study out there comparing bike frame vs bike frame in the same class outdoors. Yet TONS of wind tunnel data as a surrogate. Even thought the wind tunnel is $$$$ and highly artificial compared to outdoors. Again, if this were prohibitively expensive to test outdoors (jet engines), ok, I'll give it a pass, but it's absolutely not the case with bike frame testing with riders.

Again, I'd be perfectly happy with doing the Bikeradar 'experiment' with multiple bike frames. I'm not asking for much, and I think it's the correct question to ask if you're looking for the fastest racing bike outside the wind tunnel.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Carl wrote:

lightheir wrote:

So...does that mean you don't think someone could discern (outside) the difference between...oh, let's say, a P3C and a P2K for a given rider with the same position and kit/equipment?

I would absolutely love to see Bikeradar do the exact experiment you suggest, outdoors, with P3C vs P2k with same rider and equipment.

If I had to place a bet on the outcome, I'd bet that there would be no measurable advantage, meaning you're just as well off riding the P2k compared to the p3c. But I'd love to see this done.

I would love to see the bike companies stop all the wind-tunnel marketing BS, and just do this much more straightforward experiment, and show us the data, even if it's negative (shows no measurable effect), or not.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, let me get this straight: you're actually holding up the Bikeradar testing as some kind of gold-standard?!

Dude, you made my day. That's the single most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in weeks.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Wait, let me get this straight: you're actually holding up the Bikeradar testing as some kind of gold-standard?!

Dude, you made my day. That's the single most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in weeks.

You got a better 'gold-standard' of outdoor testing bike frame vs bike frame that's been done? Please share!

Of course, the Bikeradar study would be low-bar for gold standards of testing. You or I could design a far better study in seconds, that wouldn't be that much harder to do.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for someone to provide a COMPLETED better study comparing bike frames outdoors, but ANY study comparing bike frames outdoors, even if it shows no measurable differences.

(I'd bet a high school kid doing this would actually get some press in cycling magazines - it would be a near-ideal summer project for an aspiring HS triathlete in science, hint hint.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I'm saying that you cannot just choose to focus on the potentially insignificantly small effect of your aero frame, and just use idealized wind tunnel data, and then claim 'my frame is the fastest as per wind tunnel testing', when in outdoor practice, normally encountered variability can render that small measured effect irrelevant and unmeasurable.

It is absolutely NOT a waste of time and resources to test bikes outside the wind tunnel. That's something so easily done as per the article you linked to above, that it SHOULD be done, every time. Costs a HECK of a lot less than a wind tunnel, and is much closer to race situations.

We encounter this sort of 'avoid the-gold-standard test' approach all the time in biology and drug development. Companies might know full well that their drugs don't work as well as they claim in the fuzzier real world situation where real patients take the meds, but they try and pass off selected laboratory highly controlled studies with good results as surrogates measures. If someone is purposefully avoiding providing data that should otherwise easily be measured (and I consider the bikeradar 'experiment' a pretty easy one, at that), you must first ask why they would go through so much trouble to not do the easier outdoor experiment.

If bikeradar did that same trial with 5 bike frames, and couldn't measure a reliable difference, I would conclude 'no significant difference in aero advantages' for those frames, regardless of how well one of the performs in the wind tunnel. Likewise, if they showed that the Cervelo was reliably faster outdoors in those tests, but was last in the wind tunnel, I'd first make sure they weren't screwing up their methodology, but if the methods were sound, I'd go with the Cervelo as fastest.

The thing is...the differences typically aren't "potentially insignificant" AND the "gold standard" in this regard IS the wind tunnel.

I fully understand what you're saying about drug development...it's just that you aren't correctly applying the analogies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The thing is...the differences typically aren't "potentially insignificant" AND the "gold standard" in this regard IS the wind tunnel.

I fully understand what you're saying about drug development...it's just that you aren't correctly applying the analogies.

Then please enlighten me as to where my analogy is incorrect.

If you're trying to say that the wind tunnel IS the gold standard, then we definitely differ fundamentally on that issue. I will strongly stand by my premise that if you race outdoors, you measure outdoors.

If you race on an indoor velodrome, than indoor velodrome testing is the gold standard.

If your race in a highly controlled wind tunnel, than the wind tunnel is the gold standard.

The wind tunnel is otherwise a surrogate for the gold standard if you are racing outdoors, and should be retested outdoors unless costs or logistics make this impossible. (True for jet engines, not true for bicycles.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main problem here is that you believe that your disagreement with Tom as to what actually constitutes a "gold standard" is a matter of opinion.

It's not.

You also fundamentally don't understand why airplane development is done in CFD and wind tunnels.
You keep citing "cost."

It's not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I would absolutely love to see Bikeradar do the exact experiment you suggest, outdoors, with P3C vs P2k with same rider and equipment.

If I had to place a bet on the outcome, I'd bet that there would be no measurable advantage, meaning you're just as well off riding the P2k compared to the p3c. But I'd love to see this done.

I would love to see the bike companies stop all the wind-tunnel marketing BS, and just do this much more straightforward experiment, and show us the data, even if it's negative (shows no measurable effect), or not.

Bike radar doesn't need to...I already did it :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...00&max-results=5

I don't think I would call ~2.5s/km of difference "potentially insignificant". You just lost that virtual bet you made ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 16, 15 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
The main problem here is that you believe that your disagreement with Tom as to what actually constitutes a "gold standard" is a matter of opinion.

It's not.

You also fundamentally don't understand why airplane development is done in CFD and wind tunnels.
You keep citing "cost."

It's not.

Then you please explain to me why if you race outdoors, why outdoor measurement shouldn't be a gold standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, that's what, the third link to "real world" validation that's been put up on this thread?

People keep calling the bet and he keeps ante-ing up again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is this magical stuff that makes the medium you cycle in (air) different indoors and outdoors? Lightheir's argument is ridiculous.

Now, getting back to the serious stuff. Wind tunnel claims are often problematic because they depend on the testers deciding on angles and speeds to test at. These may not perfectly approximate real life. (A flat course on a "windless" day is going to give you an even worse approximation of the real distribution of yaw angles and speeds).

The only way to deal with this is with more data, which companies like Swiss Side are gathering and using. This information can be used for CFD models and for wind-tunnel testing.

http://www.swissside.com/...e-instrumented-bike/

And to answer Tom's question: Quite a lot of credibility. If it's a company I trust using a tunnel I trust and being very clear about their choices, then this will have a lot of influence over my bike choices. If Specialized say things about a bike and show us their graphs, I'll take them as trustworthy and useful.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know what "Overfitting" is?

Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:

Here is a different one: Let's talk about Dimond Bikes.

Dimond has a huge opportunity here. They own the fastest bike split at Kona. Not Cervelo, not Trek, not Specialized, not Felt- Dimond. A little, brand new start-up company with a decidedly unconventional looking bike relative to the rest of the competitive set.

So, we have a different story to tell. Dimond bikes are likely pretty aerodynamic. I don't know for sure. But they may also offer an additional sales feature entirely absent from the rest of the competitive set. They are a beam bike. They have different ride characteristics. Could it be that part of the reason they are faster is that they do have different ride characteristics? What if there is some measurable physiological benefit from having the rider sit at the end of a beam as opposed to on top of a nearly vertical seat tube? If every major and some minor brands can argue a case that their bike is the most aerodynamic, when all of them except one are wrong, then it isn't much of a task (relatively speaking) to construct an argument that beam bikes are measurably faster. And, since Dimond is really the only beam bike widely available (isn't there another that looks like the bat-bike?) then it becomes the "desired outlier". It becomes the De Soto two-piece wetsuit of the bike world.

Interestingly I have a very different opinion. The fact that a rider on a Dimond bike had the fastest bike split means nothing. Except, this rider walked the marathon therefore either he had to work too hard (i.e. bike is not aero) or he simply came out with a strategy to have the fastest bike split without caring about the result of the triathlon he participated in.

Using this argument as evidence that a Dimond is fast is very weak to my opinion. Seriously, is that all you got, Dimond? I would put 100x more trust in the aerodynamic performance of a bike who's rider was 5 minutes slower on the bike but then won the race because he still had the legs to have a strong run. Because unlike what so many think, triathlon ends after the run, not after the bike.

As Rich Strauss has already said so many times: there's no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run. And therefore, Twelsiek's run does not count as a good bike split at all.

Last edited by: Cobble: Oct 16, 15 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

Here is a different one: Let's talk about Dimond Bikes.

Dimond has a huge opportunity here. They own the fastest bike split at Kona. Not Cervelo, not Trek, not Specialized, not Felt- Dimond. A little, brand new start-up company with a decidedly unconventional looking bike relative to the rest of the competitive set.

So, we have a different story to tell. Dimond bikes are likely pretty aerodynamic. I don't know for sure. But they may also offer an additional sales feature entirely absent from the rest of the competitive set. They are a beam bike. They have different ride characteristics. Could it be that part of the reason they are faster is that they do have different ride characteristics? What if there is some measurable physiological benefit from having the rider sit at the end of a beam as opposed to on top of a nearly vertical seat tube? If every major and some minor brands can argue a case that their bike is the most aerodynamic, when all of them except one are wrong, then it isn't much of a task (relatively speaking) to construct an argument that beam bikes are measurably faster. And, since Dimond is really the only beam bike widely available (isn't there another that looks like the bat-bike?) then it becomes the "desired outlier". It becomes the De Soto two-piece wetsuit of the bike world.

Interestingly I have a very different opinion. The fact that a rider on a Dimond bike had the fastest bike split means nothing. Except, this rider walked the marathon therefore either he had to work too hard (i.e. bike is not aero) or he simply came out with a strategy to have the fastest bike split without caring about the result of the triathlon he participated in.

Using this argument as evidence that a Dimond is fast is very weak to my opinion. Seriously, is that all you got, Dimond? I would put 100x more trust in the aerodynamic performance of a bike who's rider was 5 minutes slower on the bike but then won the race because he still had the legs to have a strong run. Because unlike what so many think, triathlon ends after the run, not after the bike.

As Rich Strauss has already said so many times: there's no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run. And therefore, Twelsiek's run does not count as a good bike split at all.

You guys are all missing the point that this fast bike split was done on relatively low average power (275W IIRC?)...THAT is what implies the Dimond is FAST.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Bike radar doesn't need to...I already did it :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...00&max-results=5

I don't think I would call ~2.5s/km of difference "potentially insignificant". You just lost that virtual bet you made ;-)

That's exactly the kind of testing that should be reported!

Of course, we'll need more than n=1, but if the differences actually pan out reliably over many samples as your test did, that would be the best marketing for bike companies. But I'll give you a thumbs up on that one for at least doing the basic ground level of what SHOULD be reported when bike companies are claiming their bike is faster. It would greatly supplement their (cleaner) wind tunnel data.

Links to any more of such testing would be greatly welcomed, if you say it's more common than I'm claiming.
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Credibility do you Assign to Bike Brand Wind Tunnel Claims? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
What is this magical stuff that makes the medium you cycle in (air) different indoors and outdoors? Lightheir's argument is ridiculous.

Now, getting back to the serious stuff. Wind tunnel claims are often problematic because they depend on the testers deciding on angles and speeds to test at. These may not perfectly approximate real life. (A flat course on a "windless" day is going to give you an even worse approximation of the real distribution of yaw angles and speeds).

The only way to deal with this is with more data, which companies like Swiss Side are gathering and using. This information can be used for CFD models and for wind-tunnel testing.

http://www.swissside.com/...e-instrumented-bike/

And to answer Tom's question: Quite a lot of credibility. If it's a company I trust using a tunnel I trust and being very clear about their choices, then this will have a lot of influence over my bike choices. If Specialized say things about a bike and show us their graphs, I'll take them as trustworthy and useful.

Uhh, you just explained exactly why I'm criticizes indoor vs outdoor testing in the bolded section above. Not because of magical air, but because of the artificial situations (like fixed yaw angles) just as you describe.

I do like the idea of the swisside as you posted. It gets directly at the issue I'm complaining about, which is why the artificiality of wind tunnels is a problem if there's no outdoor corroborating data whatsoever.

I wouldn't trust bike companies at all with the hype that because their testing is the best/fastest, it must be so. An INDEPENDENT tester with no conflicts of interest, I'd be much more inclined to believe. But believe Specialized when they do their own tests and say they test the fastest so it must be so? I think you're giving them too much credit there - their marketing team would rapidly shoot down publishing any data that contradicts their claims that their bike is the best/fastest. Hence the independent testing, and preferably outdoors - like on that swisside bike you posted about.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 16, 15 18:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next