Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i love crazy designs, and am really happy to see them coming back from their 90s heyday after years of UCI-imposed boredom.
but:

how do you go over a speed bump on this bike?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed this, but a question:

The BTA bottle appears to line up nicely with the top tube storage, trash bin, etc. Hopefully, that is a positive for aerodynamics (but lets see some data)

But the bigger issue, if one has to raise the bars more than a few mm, the BTA has to move up too. Then this aero alignment is gone. What then ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
That's also not A2...

Woah...you're right...and I well know that's the San Diego LSWT. Shit, I don't even remember typing A2 on that...I'll correct it.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trentw wrote:
ST has quite a few misogynist pricks

I think you need to look up the word misogyny in the dictionary, because there is nothing misogynistic going on in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
I really don`t care what a bike or piece of equipment looks like - if there is solid data to suggest it will make me faster then I will ride it

You sound like the type of guy who selects women entirely based on personality. Regardless of other attributes, I refuse to ride a busted...bicycle.

Oop, am I being a misogynist now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder what this beast weighs
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
This thing might be a handful coming down from Hawi.

could be one downfall, would have to ride it to know.

I would assume this bike is actually MORE STABLE coming down from Hawi in crosswinds. The problem in crosswinds is when your front end with not much weight gets blow away from you with not much weight under your hands, and with the massive fairing you would actually have a "counterbalance" surface for your entire bike to stay on course. It's why a disk in the rear is more stable with deep dish in the front than with only an 808 or equivalent.

There are very few winds that will take a riders rear end and lift the bike and rear end of the rider up off the pavement, so the rear is actually a massive sail to keep you on track (perhaps Rapp can explain this better)

If that's the case, then why aren't rear discs MANDATORY in Kona, as opposed to banned? ;-)

OK OK OK....this entire topic ended up bugging me over the day tomorrow.
I always feel that engineers do themselves the biggest disservice by trying to explain things with technical terms and equations and greek alphabets. I like how the economist magazine explains science and engineering problems. No numbers, no technical words, so while I MAY be wrong below I don't think I am.

Engineers use this thing call "free body diagrams" to show how an object reacts to forces. Basically they draw a dot or line and then the draw all these imaginary arrows all over the object with some numbers to denote the scale of those forces to try to figure out how the body moves. So let's try this. Imagine a bike rolling along with the rider on top and suddenly a big gust of wind comes from the right. The front wheel would "turn left" since there is little weight on top of the leading edge of the wheel to hold it on track. This would make the rider on top want to "fall right". But at the same point imagine his entire body and rear wheel and frame also being pushed by another arrow while he is "wanting to fall right". Since the rear wheel is stick to the ground and won't easily change direction as he's feeling like "falling right" that imaginary arrow is pushing the rear wheel, frame and body to "fall left". If you just placed a sale upright in that same wind, it would fall over to the left. If you placed a bike frame on a stand with no front wheel without motion it would want to "fall left". So now you have one small force on the front wheel wanting to make you "fall right" but a much more massive force on the rear wheel wanting to make you "fall left". On top of this is your semi rigid body connecting the two sets of counter acting forces. On top of this the gyroscopic effect of both wheel is wanting to keep you "going straight". Your straight line momentum of your body + bike is always wanting to keep you going straight.

This is why when you are in Kona you look up the road for the dip in the terrain beside the road and you know that the wind there will suddenly be higher and will "hit you". You can see where it will be and just before you go into it, you "lean into it" to use a subset of the gravitational force (an imagary arrow pointing into the direction of the wind) counter act the wind force (those 2 arrows hitting the front and rear wheels).

Tom A and others did I get this all correct? It's been 32 years since I was in 2nd year mechanics and 31 years since 3rd year fluids....since then I have been dealing with electrons or dealing with the psychology of how to make people part with their money and sign for $$$ for products transmitting said electrons.

Paul, I am impressed, you finally argued yourself into a time-space vortex.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:

Are you basing that comment on the post above yours?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to feel somewhat sorry for TriRig at this juncture. They release what should be the most talked about bike for some time and then literally the same week Diamondwhack release frankenbike and dominate every bike forum / website in the world for the foreseeable future.

I think there will be a stalling in tri bike sales now. Hardly anyone will actually want want to spend their own money on the Andean (there really is no hiding place if it turns out to be a monstrous fail) but will be too scared to purchase another bike because the market has suddenly taken such a huge turn in bike design that they'll worry about buying into 'old news' and might want whatever the larger companies bring out next. The Andean thing looks too sci fi, everything else looks old, money stays in wallet.

Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, just maybe, I was speaking of comments outside of this thread. It's a big world out there in ST land. Nevertheless, thank you for proving my point.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
You have to feel somewhat sorry for TriRig at this juncture. They release what should be the most talked about bike for some time and then literally the same week Diamondwhack release frankenbike and dominate every bike forum / website in the world for the foreseeable future.

I have had a few moments of feeling sorry for TriRig myself. But then I quickly remember that Nick is a jerk, and I feel warm and mushy inside again. Anyways, there's always Saberz.

JayPeeWhy wrote:
I think there will be a stalling in tri bike sales now. Hardly anyone will actually want want to spend their own money on the Andean (there really is no hiding place if it turns out to be a monstrous fail) but will be too scared to purchase another bike because the market has suddenly taken such a huge turn in bike design that they'll worry about buying into 'old news' and might want whatever the larger companies bring out next. The Andean thing looks too sci fi, everything else looks old, money stays in wallet.

Totally.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd place to drop those comments.

What was your point again?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Anyways, there's always Saberz.

I didn't think that was actually real.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
Anyways, there's always Saberz.

I didn't think that was actually real.

I actually could not believe that it was either, but it is. Take a look for yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
I think there will be a stalling in tri bike sales now.

I think this has been the case for some time. Not just a slow in growth but an actual shrinking of the market. I can only speak anecdotally, but I know several large bike shops in my area that do not even stock tri bikes anymore. This probably explains Cervelo's lack of urgency in getting the beam bike out. Why bother rolling it out to a market that does not exist? Realistically, how many of these is Diamondback really going to sell? I cannot recall seeing a Diamondback tribike at any race and do not think this monstrosity is going to somehow break that trend.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:

I think this has been the case for some time. Not just a slow in growth but an actual shrinking of the market. I can only speak anecdotally, but I know several large bike shops in my area that do not even stock tri bikes anymore. This probably explains Cervelo's lack of urgency in getting the beam bike out. Why bother rolling it out to a market that does not exist? Realistically, how many of these is Diamondback really going to sell? I cannot recall seeing a Diamondback tribike at any race and do not think this monstrosity is going to somehow break that trend.

No, that is EXACTLY why Cervelo (or name your bike company) should get new designs out. Bring something new to the market to help spur sales. Churning out new colors of the same bikes for 4 years doesn't spur sales. If you want to reinvigorate the market, consumers need to see something new. While the tri market may have plateaued (or even shrunk) that does not mean that there is not a significant business opporutnity to capitalize on.....IF you can bring something new and worthwhile to the market.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:

It won't be a beam bike

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike honestly looks so cool !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Of course not..you`re just being a dickhead.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

I'm the dickhead, but you're the one resorting to puerile ad hominem attacks. Got it.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:

Just over 20.5lbs (9.3Kg) for complete bicycle (mid-range build)

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Behan wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

I'm the dickhead, but you're the one resorting to puerile ad hominem attacks. Got it.

Correct on both counts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the bike Batman would ride if he did IM.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the cda compared to a race ready setup of say a P5? Those figures include 2 bottles, food, and tool kit are integrated.

What would be considered a "good" cda for race day configuration?
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a funny one. Sorry about that. In my native language the same word is used to denote any day adjacent to "today" (tomorrow and yesterday are the exact same word). The tense in the verb in the sentence then clarifies if you mean yesterday or tomorrow. So yeah, I meant "yesterday" but between being half awake, not having caffeine and with my brain trying to explain physics free body diagrams using simple english, I blew the terminology in simple English to identify "Thur" when today is "Fri". OK back to the thread.
Quote Reply

Prev Next