Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Looks like it already has fat tyres on.
Disc brake housing never needs to be changed.
Go electric if you are worried about running a new gear cable every couple of years.
Cable run has no need to be difficult on this frame and given the huge internal space may be one of the easiest.
My bike has never dropped a chain. Why should this?
Ride is determined as much by layup as geometry, you have no clue until you sit on it.
It may very well be excellent in the wind as it is quite wide.
With quick connects on the brakes and electric, it would be a cinch to pack.
Why would it be terrible downhill? Has it some geometry flaw?
It may not be best uphill, but when is the last time any tri course went up anything over 6% where this thing would fly?

Agreed on all points.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
Nope. Do not want.

This thing is going to be horrible to own in the real world.

Hard to cable/hose, heavy, a pig in the wind, terrible up/downhill, poor tyre clearance, poor road clearance, will ride like a jackhammer, packing for travel, recovering a dropped chain will be a nightmare... I could go on.

Then there's the looks. Not for me! The only place this might be nice to ride is in the velodrome - where it's illegal.

My 2c

What do you mean hard to cable? The frame is big enough that you can probably walk the cables through, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
You've never worked in a shop and had to cater to the lowest common denominator have you?

Just looking at the bike I would rather work on that than some of the earlier stupid 3/4 day to assemble Treks.
Tried running new cables on a Felt IA yet? Takes half an hour just to pull the stem and top apart.
Yep, you guess it, I'm in the game.
I would rather work on hydro discs than any dumb aero bike caliper setup.
Who wants to take off chainrings just to adjust the pad centering, and then find they are out again the next time the poor guy rides it.
File down $60 pads so they fit the dumb frame placement and then grind a bit off the arms to clear the frame or stages.
Change pads when the race wheels go in and set them up again.
Have to do a cable overhaul after every couple of months as the gears are changing shit.
C'mon, exactly what on that bike would be hard to work on, or require even half as much maintenance as the current crop of cable twisting nightmares?

Even the lowest common denominator can flip brake connects and unplug a single electrical cable to pack it.
And when they put it together it is all still adjusted perfectly.
It even looks easy to clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig Omegas are pretty damn easy to work on. I agree, however, regarding Treks.

Can you give me an example of "flipping brake connects"? I remember installing Shimano hydro disc brakes on my hardtail back in February and no part of that process seems like it would be easy to undo for travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry everyone, there is no need to ride or see the Andean in person. 42x16ss has already determined it to be crap.

He has determined from looking at pictures on the internet that it is heavy.
He has determined from looking at pictures on the Internet that it will climb and descend poorly.
He has determined from pictures on the Internet that it will ride harshly.

I would think if a person has so much knowledge that they can determine so much from the pictures of a bike and pre release press how good a bike will be, bike companies should just put you on retainer and send all their sketches to you instead of having engineers or further design team.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trash compartment, storage, disc brakes.

No shower, no build-in navigation system, not even a f@#@$ radio to listen on long rides? .... I will wait.

I wonder how much power you loose to dispose empty gel package, if we are fighting for seconds, I'm afraid I would not be environmental friendly :0

Canadian version also already on the market:

http://bicycledesign.net/...t-snow-bike-by-venn/
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
I wonder how much power you loose to dispose empty gel package, if we are fighting for seconds, I'm afraid I would not be environmental friendly :0

If we're fighting for seconds I'll show the officials video from my integrated camera and get your ass handed a 5:00 penalty for littering.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
TriRig Omegas are pretty damn easy to work on. I agree, however, regarding Treks.

Can you give me an example of "flipping brake connects"? I remember installing Shimano hydro disc brakes on my hardtail back in February and no part of that process seems like it would be easy to undo for travel.

https://vimeo.com/85855556

You can also use Formula inline speed locks.

http://formula-usa.com/...ucts/speed-lock-hose
Last edited by: lyrrad: Sep 19, 16 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's actually really interesting to me. In theory you could completely disconnect the cockpit for travel. Cool.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
Don't worry everyone, there is no need to ride or see the Andean in person. 42x16ss has already determined it to be crap.

He has determined from looking at pictures on the internet that it is heavy.
He has determined from looking at pictures on the Internet that it will climb and descend poorly.
He has determined from pictures on the Internet that it will ride harshly.

I would think if a person has so much knowledge that they can determine so much from the pictures of a bike and pre release press how good a bike will be, bike companies should just put you on retainer and send all their sketches to you instead of having engineers or further design team.

I didn't say it was crap, I said it's not for me ;)

Maybe Diamondback have put more thought into this than I give them credit for, but after cabling and maintaining bikes like Speed Concepts, IAs, P5s etc, as well as catering to the occasional clueless owner, I like simplicity.

This does look fast, but I'd like to know how they are on the overall ownership front (something that seems to be a secondary consideration here) before I'd even consider parting with that kind of money.
Last edited by: 42x16ss: Sep 19, 16 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Tom A. and All,

I like the aero design of the new DB Andean Bike .... I think the principle of fairing a large part of the bike to reduce drag is a good one.

This faired design below was good for World Record of 89.59 mph ......

While the Andean design increases the wetted area .... I would expect the trade off to be in favor of better laminar flow.

Tom .... agreeing with your point regarding the Andean/Weiss wind tunnel readouts
.... but noting that in the photo rider Weiss may not have a well fitted position on the bike ....

This Cervelo P3C (old model) instance in the photo below is at a lower speed .... about 20 mph ...... without a skin suit ... but with several drag reducing View-Speed items .... near the same beta (yaw) but possibly from a different side which would create some measurable difference to the Andean readouts.

Also I should note that I was wearing View-Speed Cyclops glasses so I could keep my head down while reading the drag information of the run projected in real time on the tunnel ahead of me and observe small changes in position that improved or degraded the CDA.

However ..... considering just these data points as they exist ..... the CDA difference between the P3C and the Andean are noticeable.

I am hoping that if the Andean design is approved for triathlon ... we will be able to add similiar 'storage' areas to our existing bikes to provide the same utility.

Tom A. wrote:
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet...here's a data point from the intro video showing Weiss in the San Diego LSWT tunnel:

Considering that CdA typically drops at yaw with a rider on board in a good aero position (plus the bike-only data shown so far has the drag minimum at 15d), AND the position shown in the video (rider looking straight down), I hate to say that's not overly impressive...

Edit: fixed the tunnel name. Plus, want to point out the raw data shown includes fixture drag, so subtract ~.005 for that.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some really good stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyWncL9nc4

They clearly read this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Some really good stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyWncL9nc4

They clearly read this thread.

Hmmm.... seems like they did not address the most important questions (at least what I think they are).

1) Does the concept of the "aero core" keeping flow laminar from the front wheel all the way to the back hold when you have a rider on, pedaling, with feet and shins moving all over that area?

2) Wind tunnel data of this bike, tested along with the top competitors, set up in comparable sizes and comparable equipment. Even better would be rider-on velodrome test comparisons. Is this bike actually more aero than a P5 or an IA? Right now I would say maybe but we do not know. If that data looked good, why would they not post it?

I thought the best part of the video was his explanation of why riders should not fear cross-winds on the bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as how Rachel McBride and Matt Russell raced this weekend, did either ride this bike?
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [drderek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drderek wrote:
Seeing as how Rachel McBride and Matt Russell raced this weekend, did either ride this bike?

Matt did not and won't be in Kona. Just not enough TITS for him to get comfortable in it before the World Champs.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which wheels would you get with this bike?

The HED 9s (pictured I think) or the HED 6s? Or a combo of these or some other combo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

https://vimeo.com/85855556

You can also use Formula inline speed locks.

http://formula-usa.com/...ucts/speed-lock-hose

You need some exposed cable at the cockpit for these "solutions" to provide any value
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If implemented exactly as you see there. But would not be hard to imagine a scenario or implementation that doesn't require it.

And even if not - it doesnt have to be exposed. Just covered until it needs exposed. It'd be an excellent solution I think as long as implemented correctly.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have to say how much better this bike looks in black.

Today's front page Kona feature has a pic of the Andean in black and it is a totally different look. And the article says that pics don't do it justice so I am assuming it is even cooler/better in person.

My favorite bike of all time was a Diamondback Apex Mountain bike purchased in 1990. Wish I still had that bike. I would love to own another Diamondback. With the orange paint shown in this thread I was underwhelmed but in black I am suddenly intrigued (I need a new bike like I need a hole in my head).

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.tririg.com/...9_Diamondback_Andean

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope #37 changes out those tires before the race!

BryanD wrote:
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2016_09_Diamondback_Andean

Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New WTC rule. All previous convicted dopers have to race in Gator Skins moving forward to offset gains acquired during their doping days that they will never lose.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
New WTC rule. All previous convicted dopers have to race in Gator Skins moving forward to offset gains acquired during their doping days that they will never lose.

Gatorskins and heavy butyl tubes
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know how much this monstrosity weighs?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Working on finding it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next