Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [STJay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STJay wrote:
Thanks for your scintillating input. Remembering again why I don't post here & engage with you all.

That's a shame. Pubes can be aggravating, but one can find a point beneath the sarcasm.

Dan makes some of the same points here; albeit in a more polite manner:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._s_Andean_j6011.html

Stick around, contribute. I'm a subscriber and suspect there are a few others here as well.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My initial thought looking at this thing is that it will be horrible at doing anything other than going in a straight line on a flat road.

I hope that I'm wrong, but my eye tells me that any gains you make based on aerodynamics could be quickly lost by terrible handling and climbing.

Time will tell, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that you just called him Pubes...I've been trying that one out myself. Good stuff!

I always enjoy his posts. ST Rookie of the Year 2016.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, maybe the guys making the rules are clueless!!!
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
ST Rookie of the Year 2016.

Huh? He's been a member since 2012...?

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I love that you just called him Pubes...I've been trying that one out myself. Good stuff!

I'm LOL'ing at Pubes. Will never not refer to him as that from this moment forward.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but not posting like this. Never heard of him or Romulus Magnus before this summer. Using baseball rules I think he counts as a rookie.

In my reality at least.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
That would be the biggest fail imaginable. Highly doubt a legitimate company of scale made the same mistake as some pro triathlete tinkerer working out of his garage.

Don't sell TJ short. The story of his front end system being banned is perhaps more illustrative than it might seem. I'm sure there are multiple sides to the story, but he very much did check it out in advance. He had approval, but then that approval was revoked just prior to race day in Kona. I don't want to re-hash that, but I have some firsthand experience that echoes the confusion that TJ saw. This process *can be* way less straightforward than you might think...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, get past the A-holes that proclaim to know it all. ST has quite a few misogynist pricks, but they also have a few genuine, great contributors that don't try to impress with wit and derogatory comments in every freakin thread.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
My initial thought looking at this thing is that it will be horrible at doing anything other than going in a straight line on a flat road.

I hope that I'm wrong, but my eye tells me that any gains you make based on aerodynamics could be quickly lost by terrible handling and climbing.

Time will tell, I guess.

Try this thought experiment.

Take its image and draw a double diamond frame inside all that carbon. Now photoshop out all the extra carbon. Now look at the following measurements: Stack-reach, bottom bracket drop, front center, head tube length, head tube angle, seat angle fork rake, trail, rear center. Imagine the carbon does not exist and all these measurements will tell you more or less how the bike handles. All the carbon filling in the space around the traditional double diamond frame will have far less impact on the handling than all of these measurements. They will be the starting point. There should be zero impact on how this bike climbs in the sense it won't climb any worse than any tri bike of the exact same weight. Steep or slack seat post should not affect climbing.

So basically....handling and climbing should be pretty well the same as any tri bike with the same measuremnets.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I'm LOL'ing at Pubes. Will never not refer to him as that from this moment forward.

I think the name will catch on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Page 7 already, guess I'm pretty late for the party...

Definitely looks....weird. But I'd love to test ride it for a week.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I want a wetsuit storage compartment so that I do not have to leave my overly priced wetsuit in transition. Should be able to fill all of that triangle no problem.
This 'thing' ain't a bike. Way too fugly in my opinion. Will never buy it. I think some constraints (uci rules here) are always good for engineers, it forces them to be more creative to find solutions.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
Yeah. I want a wetsuit storage compartment so that I do not have to leave my overly priced wetsuit in transition. Should be able to fill all of that triangle no problem.
This 'thing' ain't a bike. Way too fugly in my opinion. Will never buy it. I think some constraints (uci rules here) are always good for engineers, it forces them to be more creative to find solutions.

C'mon...get with the program boys!

The extra storage is so that Weiss can bring along his blood bags.

What a way to introduce your fast bike...."hey look boys...look how fast this bike goes when ridden by a blood doper!"
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oups. I forgot about the blood bags. What about the urine bag storage with clean samples for post race resting?
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet...here's a data point from the intro video showing Weiss in the A2 tunnel:

Considering that CdA typically drops at yaw with a rider on board in a good aero position (plus the bike-only data shown so far has the drag minimum at 15d), AND the position shown in the video (rider looking straight down), I hate to say that's not overly impressive...

That's an awful CdA, especially when you consider how head down he is.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's also not A2...
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
That's also not A2...

So? I don't care what tunnel it's in, it's a bad number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don`t care what a bike or piece of equipment looks like - if there is solid data to suggest it will make me faster then I will ride it (I need all the extra speed I can get).

What I really like about the Andean is the impression that there is some real engineering behind the design. Although the results have yet to be proven, these guys seem to have taken the right steps and have taken a bit of a risk with the result. I know I may get stoned to death for this but nothing annoys me more than the idea of a cut and paste shop and a couple of CAD jockeys producing something in China or elsewhere (with lots of generic bits and pieces) and spinning stories about laminar flow and boundry layers with minimal data to back it up....and I am not talking about the OMNI BTW.

Other peoples approach to selecting a bike will of course be different and they are entitled to spend their money as they please but when I lay down my hard earned cash I`d like to think that it`s paying for some technological development and not just mega markup.

At this point without data on the Andean my gut is telling me this thing has got to be heavy and that turns me off a little. If it is relatively heavy, at what point does aero stop trumping weight assuming real world racing conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Diamondback Andean Bike! [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, you'll buy it anyway. Get your P5 on the TriTalk classified's in due course ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
tgarson wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
See his article in the September/December 1991 issue of Cycling Science.

I'm choosing to believe this was said non-ironically, and is therefore my single favorite statement of this thread.

x2

Classic Coggan right there.

Edit: Holy hell. I actually found it online. Maybe I should eat my words.

Yes, because unless something can be found online, it doesn't exist.

Friggin' millennials...

(bowing) this thread is getting better and better. thank you
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Sep 16, 16 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
This thing might be a handful coming down from Hawi.

could be one downfall, would have to ride it to know.

I would assume this bike is actually MORE STABLE coming down from Hawi in crosswinds. The problem in crosswinds is when your front end with not much weight gets blow away from you with not much weight under your hands, and with the massive fairing you would actually have a "counterbalance" surface for your entire bike to stay on course. It's why a disk in the rear is more stable with deep dish in the front than with only an 808 or equivalent.

There are very few winds that will take a riders rear end and lift the bike and rear end of the rider up off the pavement, so the rear is actually a massive sail to keep you on track (perhaps Rapp can explain this better)

If that's the case, then why aren't rear discs MANDATORY in Kona, as opposed to banned? ;-)

OK OK OK....this entire topic ended up bugging me over the day tomorrow. I always feel that engineers do themselves the biggest disservice by trying to explain things with technical terms and equations and greek alphabets. I like how the economist magazine explains science and engineering problems. No numbers, no technical words, so while I MAY be wrong below I don't think I am.

Engineers use this thing call "free body diagrams" to show how an object reacts to forces. Basically they draw a dot or line and then the draw all these imaginary arrows all over the object with some numbers to denote the scale of those forces to try to figure out how the body moves. So let's try this. Imagine a bike rolling along with the rider on top and suddenly a big gust of wind comes from the right. The front wheel would "turn left" since there is little weight on top of the leading edge of the wheel to hold it on track. This would make the rider on top want to "fall right". But at the same point imagine his entire body and rear wheel and frame also being pushed by another arrow while he is "wanting to fall right". Since the rear wheel is stick to the ground and won't easily change direction as he's feeling like "falling right" that imaginary arrow is pushing the rear wheel, frame and body to "fall left". If you just placed a sale upright in that same wind, it would fall over to the left. If you placed a bike frame on a stand with no front wheel without motion it would want to "fall left". So now you have one small force on the front wheel wanting to make you "fall right" but a much more massive force on the rear wheel wanting to make you "fall left". On top of this is your semi rigid body connecting the two sets of counter acting forces. On top of this the gyroscopic effect of both wheel is wanting to keep you "going straight". Your straight line momentum of your body + bike is always wanting to keep you going straight.

This is why when you are in Kona you look up the road for the dip in the terrain beside the road and you know that the wind there will suddenly be higher and will "hit you". You can see where it will be and just before you go into it, you "lean into it" to use a subset of the gravitational force (an imagary arrow pointing into the direction of the wind) counter act the wind force (those 2 arrows hitting the front and rear wheels).

Tom A and others did I get this all correct? It's been 32 years since I was in 2nd year mechanics and 31 years since 3rd year fluids....since then I have been dealing with electrons or dealing with the psychology of how to make people part with their money and sign for $$$ for products transmitting said electrons.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my take - I posted this in the bashing forum too.

In the case of a mass produced brand like Diamondback who is trying to get into tri (just as it is losing participants) they are throwing something out there for the hardos to squawk over but it probably serves a dual purpose to make their lower end more conventional bikes seem like the have a place in the tri world.

You may not want to buy their super bike but at least the brand is thought of as a tri bike.

I dont think they were previously getting any traction and this new bike at least will make the informed crowd not want to talk down about the brand.

One of the key tactics for bike companies has always been to have bikes that appeal to the enthusiasts because they know these people are the go-tos for all noobs getting into the sport.

So with that in mind Diamondback has done a good thing.

Too bad its parent company is nearly bankrupt for about the 10th time in history. They have laid off almost their entire sales organization and supposedly they are so cash poor they cant get the bikes they have ordered for pre-season.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, as a mechanical engineer BS/MS, I'm having trouble following the rather complex FBD. However, to give you (Paul) credit, there are a lot of forces going on in this case, and it is no easy task to explain in simple terms.

I would like to provide some personal experience as evidence to support your point. Back in early 1990's I was fortunate to have owned a Trimble Aero TT. We purchased it from James Trimble himself in his little shop in MA.

I've raced and trained on this bike for years and still have had my fastest TT's times on it (may have to do with being 25 yrs younger). In riding it with a disc in gusty wind conditions, it did not blow me around noticeably (I was 145-150 lbs then).

I now ride a Look 596, typical tri bike design with a 90 mm front wheel. Riding in wind or passed trucks, this 90 mm front wheel wants to through me off the bike and into the ditch if I'm not ready.

All of my experience will tell me that the Andean will handle and climb like a traditional bike. The biggest factor in wind will be your selection of what rim depth to ride in the front.

Below is the actual bike I am talking about: That rig had crazy cross sectional area and handled similar to a traditional bike. Not nearly as extreme as your 'eye' would suggest. And that is my point. People can't just 'look' at a bicycle design and draw conclusions on handling.

devashish_paul wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
This thing might be a handful coming down from Hawi.

could be one downfall, would have to ride it to know.

I would assume this bike is actually MORE STABLE coming down from Hawi in crosswinds. The problem in crosswinds is when your front end with not much weight gets blow away from you with not much weight under your hands, and with the massive fairing you would actually have a "counterbalance" surface for your entire bike to stay on course. It's why a disk in the rear is more stable with deep dish in the front than with only an 808 or equivalent.

There are very few winds that will take a riders rear end and lift the bike and rear end of the rider up off the pavement, so the rear is actually a massive sail to keep you on track (perhaps Rapp can explain this better)

If that's the case, then why aren't rear discs MANDATORY in Kona, as opposed to banned? ;-)

OK OK OK....this entire topic ended up bugging me over the day tomorrow. I always feel that engineers do themselves the biggest disservice by trying to explain things with technical terms and equations and greek alphabets. I like how the economist magazine explains science and engineering problems. No numbers, no technical words, so while I MAY be wrong below I don't think I am.

Engineers use this thing call "free body diagrams" to show how an object reacts to forces. Basically they draw a dot or line and then the draw all these imaginary arrows all over the object with some numbers to denote the scale of those forces to try to figure out how the body moves. So let's try this. Imagine a bike rolling along with the rider on top and suddenly a big gust of wind comes from the right. The front wheel would "turn left" since there is little weight on top of the leading edge of the wheel to hold it on track. This would make the rider on top want to "fall right". But at the same point imagine his entire body and rear wheel and frame also being pushed by another arrow while he is "wanting to fall right". Since the rear wheel is stick to the ground and won't easily change direction as he's feeling like "falling right" that imaginary arrow is pushing the rear wheel, frame and body to "fall left". If you just placed a sale upright in that same wind, it would fall over to the left. If you placed a bike frame on a stand with no front wheel without motion it would want to "fall left". So now you have one small force on the front wheel wanting to make you "fall right" but a much more massive force on the rear wheel wanting to make you "fall left". On top of this is your semi rigid body connecting the two sets of counter acting forces. On top of this the gyroscopic effect of both wheel is wanting to keep you "going straight". Your straight line momentum of your body + bike is always wanting to keep you going straight.

This is why when you are in Kona you look up the road for the dip in the terrain beside the road and you know that the wind there will suddenly be higher and will "hit you". You can see where it will be and just before you go into it, you "lean into it" to use a subset of the gravitational force (an imagary arrow pointing into the direction of the wind) counter act the wind force (those 2 arrows hitting the front and rear wheels).

Tom A and others did I get this all correct? It's been 32 years since I was in 2nd year mechanics and 31 years since 3rd year fluids....since then I have been dealing with electrons or dealing with the psychology of how to make people part with their money and sign for $$$ for products transmitting said electrons.
Quote Reply

Prev Next