Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cycling Club Drama [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a group ride. If you don't like it then form a harder level ride. Otherwise take a few psi out of your tires, wear baggy clothing and repeatedly drop back 100 yards and bridge back up. Best workout you will ever get. had similar problems with a ride in my previous club where a few riders made it their mission to drop as many as possible as early as possible. Nobody did well in races any more because all they knew was how to follow wheels and never risked sprinting or blowing up because of fear of getting dropped. Ended up we dropped every new rider and the ride died, The racing team ended up as a bunch of old TTers.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my AG'ers (these are my "ladies" as everyone calls them) do a Wed night ride. I've done the ride now 3 times and for the life of me I cant figure out why the "leader" never lets anyone else share the load. It's a small group of lesser experienced/slower riders and I've mentioned a few times at the "stop breaks", to do a rotating paceline to get everyone involved and give them that experience. The leaders will be like "yeah let's do it" and then they just sit on the front. Not my ride, and not my shop, so I'm more staying out of the discussion, just weird to me how they do that ride. My athletes are enjoying the loop and it's a "safe" route (goes on greenways which is kinda annoying at 6pm with all the joggers/walkers but we use that as a "warm up" sorta). I've just never seen it where the group leader doesn't share the work. I've always thought "ride leader" doesn't have to mean you lead the ride the entire time, just means your in control of the route, etc.

(Different topic all together maybe, sorry )

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’m beginning to wonder why I’m there. I question what I’m getting out of race night anymore. As well, I’m aware of pacelining and not gunning it when you take the front end. It’s not that I’m tone deaf or a total a hole.

You might be tone deaf if it's gotten to this point and you're bringing it to STers lol

It's basically a no drop ride in reality because if you drop anyone your the a-hole.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love if someone shares the load. I don’t want to carry the group. Some just show up for the draft fest. 15 second pulls and dropping the
Pull 50-100 watts is not okay.

B_Doughtie wrote:
Some of my AG'ers (these are my "ladies" as everyone calls them) do a Wed night ride. I've done the ride now 3 times and for the life of me I cant figure out why the "leader" never lets anyone else share the load. It's a small group of lesser experienced/slower riders and I've mentioned a few times at the "stop breaks", to do a rotating paceline to get everyone involved and give them that experience. The leaders will be like "yeah let's do it" and then they just sit on the front. Not my ride, and not my shop, so I'm more staying out of the discussion, just weird to me how they do that ride. My athletes are enjoying the loop and it's a "safe" route (goes on greenways which is kinda annoying at 6pm with all the joggers/walkers but we use that as a "warm up" sorta). I've just never seen it where the group leader doesn't share the work. I've always thought "ride leader" doesn't have to mean you lead the ride the entire time, just means your in control of the route, etc.

(Different topic all together maybe, sorry )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
It’s Wednesday Night Worlds and a hammer fest. My first ride out I fell off the back, got dropped and got lost. My riding was molded by these same people.
Odd. I don't know. Chalk it up to early spring and let everyone get their legs under them? Maybe ask, what are we doing here.

I've been in some Tuesday Night Worlds rides and as long as everyone knows the expectations there isn't a problem. They get too sketchy for my taste, but can be a fun racing substitute. Sounds like folks just aren't on the same page.

That 18 mph thing sounds nuts. Most A groups don't really think in terms of mph, but are going to be cruising 25+ no problem in a pace line, and faster. Whole thing sounds "off".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
It’s Wednesday Night Worlds and a hammer fest. My first ride out I fell off the back, got dropped and got lost. My riding was molded by these same people.

ripple wrote:
Hmm. "Drop ride" doesn't necessarily mean "hammer fest". Especially early in the season. That's a good time for everyone to get back into group riding. No one gets back into form in April if the group gets shattered every opportunity for a pace line. Our club's rides are "droptional" ? .. if you really just can't keep up that day you're expected to just wheel it back to the shop solo. But there is no concerted effort to drop people off the ride, that's just not group riding. If we have a long stretch often the power riders will try to thin the pace line gradually and then they token sprint a town line or maybe someone takes a flyer. But everyone sits up eventually and we re-group. If someone is off the back outta sight we keep going. Hills obviously beak up and the stick figures usually battle it out then sit up either on or after the descent unless it's a turn. I've been on a few different club's group rides and they all tend to be like that, maybe they want to enjoy a little more group dynamic and less power-fest? I'd give it a month and let people round into form and then reassess the dynamic. If your club really doesn't have a "Tuesday Night Worlds" then you might want to think about embracing the "group" part of the group ride.
There seems to be some disconnect here. It can't be a hammer fest "race" and have a speed cap. Thats not how an WNW I've ever been in has worked. In fact there's basically no rules. It CAN be a drop ride that supposed to mostly stick together but if you can't hang with the majority then you may get tailed off. Riding off the front is not the same as getting dropped off the back. It seems like you're holding this experience against the group as some kinda petty revenge. Take a look in the mirror
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically many of the riders would rather bask in their former racing glory years, smash beers and push their roadie rules. I’m just frustrated with several of these folks and I’m not the only one getting singled out. Since I’m one of the stronger riders I’m getting railed on. A few weeks ago some of the faster riders told me something needed to change post ride. Shortly after, riders from the part of the group that couldn’t hang said the same thing obviously for the opposite reason. Ironic isn’t it...

ripple wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Odd. I don't know. Chalk it up to early spring and let everyone get their legs under them? Maybe ask, what are we doing here.

I've been in some Tuesday Night Worlds rides and as long as everyone knows the expectations there isn't a problem. They get too sketchy for my taste, but can be a fun racing substitute. Sounds like folks just aren't on the same page.

That 18 mph thing sounds nuts. Most A groups don't really think in terms of mph, but are going to be cruising 25+ no problem in a pace line, and faster. Whole thing sounds "off".
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If WNW is no rules then why now rules after riding like this for years? There’s no revenge. I learned to ride like this on these rides with these guys. Now their getting their asses handed to them and it’s time to get pissy? Sorry, but it doesn’t make sense does it?

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

ripple wrote:
Hmm. "Drop ride" doesn't necessarily mean "hammer fest". Especially early in the season. That's a good time for everyone to get back into group riding. No one gets back into form in April if the group gets shattered every opportunity for a pace line. Our club's rides are "droptional" ? .. if you really just can't keep up that day you're expected to just wheel it back to the shop solo. But there is no concerted effort to drop people off the ride, that's just not group riding. If we have a long stretch often the power riders will try to thin the pace line gradually and then they token sprint a town line or maybe someone takes a flyer. But everyone sits up eventually and we re-group. If someone is off the back outta sight we keep going. Hills obviously beak up and the stick figures usually battle it out then sit up either on or after the descent unless it's a turn. I've been on a few different club's group rides and they all tend to be like that, maybe they want to enjoy a little more group dynamic and less power-fest? I'd give it a month and let people round into form and then reassess the dynamic. If your club really doesn't have a "Tuesday Night Worlds" then you might want to think about embracing the "group" part of the group ride.
There seems to be some disconnect here. It can't be a hammer fest "race" and have a speed cap. Thats not how an WNW I've ever been in has worked. In fact there's basically no rules. It CAN be a drop ride that supposed to mostly stick together but if you can't hang with the majority then you may get tailed off. Riding off the front is not the same as getting dropped off the back. It seems like you're holding this experience against the group as some kinda petty revenge. Take a look in the mirror
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
If WNW is no rules then why now rules after riding like this for years? There’s no revenge. I learned to ride like this on these rides with these guys. Now their getting their asses handed to them and it’s time to get pissy? Sorry, but it doesn’t make sense does it?

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

ripple wrote:

You're the only one that is referring to it as WNW, we don't have the other side. What I'm saying is that in my part of the woods, no WNW type rides have 18mph pace limits, so if you're saying they are calling them a race with a 18mph limit then its the first of its type I've ever heard of or there's a disconnect between what is being said by the group and what you think the type of ride is. If the majority of the group is staying together and only 2-3 riders are going off the front I know who'd I'd point the finger at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If WNW is 18 mph pace and your reporting that 21.5 was easy then your at wrong ride and/or what objective are you achieving? Showcasing how strong you are?

Your not really getting any safety benefits from the group with that much difference in pace.

As I said you mentioned 1-2 other strong riders. Maybe y’all can form a break group. Beyond that sounds like your just showing up for a weekly ass chewing even if your in the “right”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the Strava segment is called WNW, and I didn’t create it I’d say it’s legit WNW. The KOM is 25mph average and was set two years ago by another rider not me. Just sayin...

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

ripple wrote:

You're the only one that is referring to it as WNW, we don't have the other side. What I'm saying is that in my part of the woods, no WNW type rides have 18mph pace limits, so if you're saying they are calling them a race with a 18mph limit then its the first of its type I've ever heard of or there's a disconnect between what is being said by the group and what you think the type of ride is. If the majority of the group is staying together and only 2-3 riders are going off the front I know who'd I'd point the finger at.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Essentially every week it is a break group of 2 or 3. Just recently, others have become vocal against the break group and even some of the stronger riders in the drop group. The other guys in the break group have been around longer than me and they basically say to ignore the guys who are bitching and getting dropped. Total disconnect.

B_Doughtie wrote:
If WNW is 18 mph pace and your reporting that 21.5 was easy then your at wrong ride and/or what objective are you achieving? Showcasing how strong you are?

Your not really getting any safety benefits from the group with that much difference in pace.

As I said you mentioned 1-2 other strong riders. Maybe y’all can form a break group. Beyond that sounds like your just showing up for a weekly ass chewing even if your in the “right”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Essentially every week it is a break group of 2 or 3. Just recently, others have become vocal against the break group and even some of the stronger riders in the drop group. The other guys in the break group have been around longer than me and they basically say to ignore the guys who are bitching and getting dropped. Total disconnect.

B_Doughtie wrote:

I don't care what they call it, but this is not a "world's" ride if people are going to bitch about getting dropped. The whole point of calling it a "world's" ride is that you have a whole bunch of people pushing themselves to their limits. If 2-3 guys can easily go off the front, then so be it...they are entitled to push their limits.

People are weird though...I would say the group of 2-3 that normally ride off the front should just form their own ride that starts 5-10 minutes earlier to avoid the drama of people who can't get over themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the best idea I’ve heard. It got so bad last summer/fall the guy doing most of the bitching kept peeling off and cutting the ride short because he didn’t feel good. It was like damn near every ride. Truth is I’m sure he’s an alcoholic that drinks every night (every night FB pics of booze). A lot of strong craft beer but also bourbon and probably whatever the hell else he can get his hands on. Yet he has the nerve to act like a douche when his fitness is now non-existent. It makes me want to drop the hammer even harder thinking about it. That’s his choice and the group shouldn’t be dictated by such a dick.

Jason N wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

B_Doughtie wrote:

I don't care what they call it, but this is not a "world's" ride if people are going to bitch about getting dropped. The whole point of calling it a "world's" ride is that you have a whole bunch of people pushing themselves to their limits. If 2-3 guys can easily go off the front, then so be it...they are entitled to push their limits.

People are weird though...I would say the group of 2-3 that normally ride off the front should just form their own ride that starts 5-10 minutes earlier to avoid the drama of people who can't get over themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to find a different cycling club with members with objectives closer to yours. Or just ride on your own. Your current situation, whether caused by the luddites, the "break" people, or you, is moronic. If others in the club feel the same way just ride with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did ride with a couple young guns a few weeks back. Only bad part is they live almost an hour away in the sticks, but the riding was great other than the 20 or so chasing dogs.

I’ve done a lot of solo riding. On Wednesday nights I think I’ll just continue to ride with the breakaway and try to ignore the mob mentality from the back.

T-wrecks wrote:
You need to find a different cycling club with members with objectives closer to yours. Or just ride on your own. Your current situation, whether caused by the luddites, the "break" people, or you, is moronic. If others in the club feel the same way just ride with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Pretty much the best idea I’ve heard. It got so bad last summer/fall the guy doing most of the bitching kept peeling off and cutting the ride short because he didn’t feel good. It was like damn near every ride. Truth is I’m sure he’s an alcoholic that drinks every night (every night FB pics of booze). A lot of strong craft beer but also bourbon and probably whatever the hell else he can get his hands on. Yet he has the nerve to act like a douche when his fitness is now non-existent. It makes me want to drop the hammer even harder thinking about it. That’s his choice and the group shouldn’t be dictated by such a dick.
Get some help man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll just ignore you like I’ll ignore him. I’m open to a different perspective or opinion but you’re just trying to start an argument. Peace!

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Get some help man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what you describe, you are in the wrong group unless you are looking for an easy recovery day. Move up to faster group or ride alone. No one needs drama. I don't really get it. If you ride away from the group and they stay together why should they care? Do you wait up for them and bitch about how slow they are going?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just break away (earlier and earlier it seems) and everyone finishes in the same location. We don’t stop or wait. Everyone is cool for the most part face to face.

From what I gather there must be a ton of background chatter. The main instigator started an argument with me face to face two years ago. He then started more unrelated conflict on social media early this week. I did not respond to him, nor did I speak to him at the club ride. I plan to avoid him entirely from here forward. I do this for my personal enjoyment.

nickwisconsin wrote:
From what you describe, you are in the wrong group unless you are looking for an easy recovery day. Move up to faster group or ride alone. No one needs drama. I don't really get it. If you ride away from the group and they stay together why should they care? Do you wait up for them and bitch about how slow they are going?
Last edited by: mwanner13: Apr 18, 19 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a new group that is actually fast. It’ll push you and it’ll be a lot more fun to be around likeminded folks. I recommend seeking out local road racers. You will learn, improve, and most likely be humbled.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Find a new group that is actually fast. It’ll push you and it’ll be a lot more fun to be around likeminded folks. I recommend seeking out local road racers. You will learn, improve, and most likely be humbled.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! 'wanner needs to stop creating drama here, and just get out and drop some bitches (or get dropped) on a roadie ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your expectations of the group versus the realities you find yourself in are very different. If you don't change your expectations you'll just continue to be frustrated. I've found myself in similar situations before where I was wanting to drive the pace only to find the people behind me didn't even bother to try following my wheel. What can you do? You can't make someone hold your wheel.

You can either dial it back and hang with the pack or go do something else. You can always go off on your own the day before and after the ride and bash your own brains in that then take it easier with the group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
Why show up to a group ride and ride off the front? Seems like you could save yourself a lot of effort and just start the ride solo? If you're the guy who accelerates when they get to the front of the paceline you should look at yourself in the mirror

this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
find a different ride or start a different ride
Quote Reply

Prev Next