Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycling Club Drama
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have issues with their local cycling club. I’m hoping our club is an exception. We have a lot of dysfunctional personalities associated with our elite ride as far as steady drama. It seems very few want to show up and just ride hard. This group is not no drop so there shouldn’t be a lot of crotchety attitudes over pushing limits.

I’m noticing more and more rules and folks putting people on blast on social media like writing messages in caps to members by club officers. Some are more interested in beer and pizza off seasons and get royally pissed when you keep riding off the front and dropping the group. This club features four rides for four levels of riders. I’m not sure why there’s so much venom. Some of these folks did not put in the work in the offseason and they bitch at others that have worked hard. I keep thinking have I improved or have they regressed? I think it’s somewhere in the middle, but it does leave me wishing there was a group of folks that would just leave the attitude at the door. Yesterday, one of the officers was telling another member about how he was lecturing myself and another member. I rode a lot alone last season and it might get worse this summer. I used to look forward to these things to get away from bull crap, but now it seems everyone is bringing issues to rides. Does anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by: mwanner13: Apr 18, 19 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - because I would have found another club already.
If that club was the same drama sh*t - I would have found a 3rd club.
If that club was the same - I would take a look in the mirror and evaluated myself.

simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why show up to a group ride and ride off the front? Seems like you could save yourself a lot of effort and just start the ride solo? If you're the guy who accelerates when they get to the front of the paceline you should look at yourself in the mirror
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local club here had to add an A Minus ride that started 5 mins after the ride because most of them did not train over the winter and were getting P/O about getting dropped.

If the ride is advertised as a non "no drop" ride, I'm all for natural selection. Form a groupetto and ride.

But I also don't understand why a 3hr group ride needs a 30 minute store stop(or a store stop at all). So.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it's a drop ride and people are bitching about getting dropped?? Get faster or go out with a slower group, pretty simple.

Only valid complaint would be if it were a no-drop ride with a predetermined pace and people were turning it into an ego contest.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m located in a rural area that is about an hour from a larger city. That’s a lot of time that could be spent on the road riding, so the options are far and few between unfortunately.

Last night the ride ended with beer and pizza. Since one of the officers that is such a jerk went with his pals, I just went home after the ride. I thought there’s no way I’m going to be the good guy and then hang out with this douche after dealing with his crap.

Twinkie wrote:
No - because I would have found another club already.
If that club was the same drama sh*t - I would have found a 3rd club.
If that club was the same - I would take a look in the mirror and evaluated myself.

simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that kind of drama around here. I'm in a club that has a race membership and a club membership. We often have group rides where all are invited but pace/distance is made clear. We also use group chat so people can get a feel for if the ride will be no drop or regroup etc. We often have rides with both men and women and what happens most of the time is if someone gets dropped, one or more faster folks will drop back and pull the person back to the group or they will just ride with that person. I can't think of a time when a person was left along after being dropped. It's all about good communication.

There will be cases where the racers will sprint ahead etc. and the rest of the group just stay put, sometimes finishing in two groups. It's no big deal. When bringing on new members we actually make it clear we don't like drama.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the other riders that generally rides very hard and rides a TT bike got out front early and hammered. I grabbed a wheel and we proceeded to slipstream leading the group. The group was gone almost instantly. Again, this is not a no drop ride.

redlude97 wrote:
Why show up to a group ride and ride off the front? Seems like you could save yourself a lot of effort and just start the ride solo? If you're the guy who accelerates when they get to the front of the paceline you should look at yourself in the mirror
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:

This it pretty accurate.

When I first rode with a group I had no idea how to ride in a paceline. Every time I got to the front I would drop the hammer (as much as my puny legs can.....) and break the group up. I thought I was doing what I was supposed to, but no one seemed very happy with me.

A gentle conversation from a more experienced rider had me behaving much more civilly on the next ride. Until the last fourth or so where someone else, way more experienced, started putting out some watts and a group of us went with him. I got schooled that day on what it means to barely hang on while at your redline.

To the OP: it sounds like you aren't well-suited to ride with this group.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy that was lecturing me posted in caps 18mph for the race group. Two other riders said bump that. I rode with one of them and the other couldn’t make it. The guy I rode with had a mechanical and turned back 10 miles into it. I stopped and waited and then dropped the group again. I rode alone.

rides4beer wrote:
So it's a drop ride and people are bitching about getting dropped?? Get faster or go out with a slower group, pretty simple.

Only valid complaint would be if it were a no-drop ride with a predetermined pace and people were turning it into an ego contest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
One of the other riders that generally rides very hard and rides a TT bike got out front early and hammered. I grabbed a wheel and we proceeded to slipstream leading the group. The group was gone almost instantly. Again, this is not a no drop ride.

redlude97 wrote:
So I'll ask again...why are you even there? If your only goal is to show you're superior to others, pin on a number so everyone's on the same page at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
The guy that was lecturing me posted in caps 18mph for the race group. Two other riders said bump that. I rode with one of them and the other couldn’t make it. The guy I rode with had a mechanical and turned back 10 miles into it. I stopped and waited and then dropped the group again. I rode alone.

rides4beer wrote:

You said there are 4 groups and the ride you picked was supposed to be 18mph. Sounds like you should move up a group. You'll be with faster riders and away from the guy who annoys you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

rides4beer wrote:

18 mph CAP? For the "race group?"

I think you're riding with the wrong group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m beginning to wonder why I’m there. There are a couple of guys that keep up when they show up (when work isn’t an issue), but I suppose most don’t. I’m not trying to go out and crush souls, but at the same time, a drop ride race group doesn’t go at a social ride pace. I want to get something out of every ride and
I question what I’m getting out of race night anymore.

As well, I’m aware of pacelining and not gunning it when you take the front
end. It’s not that I’m tone deaf or a total a hole.

redlude97 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

redlude97 wrote:
So I'll ask again...why are you even there? If your only goal is to show you're superior to others, pin on a number so everyone's on the same page at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’m located in a rural area that is about an hour from a larger city. That’s a lot of time that could be spent on the road riding, so the options are far and few between unfortunately.

Last night the ride ended with beer and pizza. Since one of the officers that is such a jerk went with his pals, I just went home after the ride. I thought there’s no way I’m going to be the good guy and then hang out with this douche after dealing with his crap.

Why are you destroying your GAINZ? I never go for post practice beers with my rugby club, post match social all about...but during the week just seems to gain all the bad weight!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was race group and granted a new route, but still...

I averaged 21.5mph over 33miles with 1,500 feet elevation in 15-20mph wind. Only 213 watts. It could have been ridden much harder.

Jason N wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

rides4beer wrote:

Last edited by: mwanner13: Apr 18, 19 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILL BE RIDDEN 18mph!!!

Exact context.

Jason N wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

rides4beer wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. "Drop ride" doesn't necessarily mean "hammer fest". Especially early in the season. That's a good time for everyone to get back into group riding. No one gets back into form in April if the group gets shattered every opportunity for a pace line. Our club's rides are "droptional" ? .. if you really just can't keep up that day you're expected to just wheel it back to the shop solo. But there is no concerted effort to drop people off the ride, that's just not group riding. If we have a long stretch often the power riders will try to thin the pace line gradually and then they token sprint a town line or maybe someone takes a flyer. But everyone sits up eventually and we re-group. If someone is off the back outta sight we keep going. Hills obviously beak up and the stick figures usually battle it out then sit up either on or after the descent unless it's a turn. I've been on a few different club's group rides and they all tend to be like that, maybe they want to enjoy a little more group dynamic and less power-fest? I'd give it a month and let people round into form and then reassess the dynamic. If your club really doesn't have a "Tuesday Night Worlds" then you might want to think about embracing the "group" part of the group ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Genuinely sounds like you're the problem, OP. Either figure out how to ride the correct way, or find another group.

But complaining about rolling off the front and whatever other shenanigans you're pulling and getting called out on it puts the onus on you.

Not every ride has to be a show of strength. Otherwise the actual fast people would just drop you any time they wanted. Training is not racing. Seems like it's the wannabes and cat 4s and 5s who don't quite understand that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m on the board of my club, and even though it’s a touring club and we have WAYYYY DE HAYYYYY more drama than that.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, 18mph (average) is a no-drop B group ride. 18mph MAX is a warm-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find another group or actually ride with the group. Group rides are not the time to "prove" to anyone you're fast. Save that for actual races, preferably only at the end of the race.

Why ride with a group if you want to go hard? Group rides for me are not hard intense training sessions. They are for socializing and building team morale, endurance or recovery pace, and a little bit of practice riding in groups.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always kinda figured a group ride where your that strong, your simply choosing the wrong group, even if it's a drop ride. If your riding off the front that easily and twiddling your thumbs waiting for them to catch up, your just wasting time by doing that ride.

ETA: So with it being in a smaller area, I'd communicate with the group and/or the "stronger" other riders to try and create an "A+" group that is allowed to "attack" the group, etc. Keeps everyone in the loop atleast of what the dynamics can be and maybe keeps everyone happy.

I will say for the group's prospective.....I'm not sure why they don't just let you ride away and they just keep doing their thing. But of course it's a group ride and many feelings/emotions seemingly always come out in those settings....someone's ALWAYS bitching about a group ride, no matter what.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 18, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t bother me until people make bad safety calls. Like pulling out in front of oncoming traffic when you know the group can’t make it. Or going the wrong way up parts of a road to shave seconds by avoiding the hard left.

Or not calling out passing cars.

That crap will get someone killed.

Not enough groups have good written rules for each ride and someone announcing them before each ride. Or posting it online.

If you’re off the front the entire time, move up a group. I did and got my rear end handed to me by folks a lot stronger and smarter.

Also, if you have time for endless group race sim rides but don’t like politics, then just race cheap weekly crits and keep the group ride social.

Or be totally anti social like me and dabble in TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Club Drama [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s Wednesday Night Worlds and a hammer fest. My first ride out I fell off the back, got dropped and got lost. My riding was molded by these same people.

ripple wrote:
Hmm. "Drop ride" doesn't necessarily mean "hammer fest". Especially early in the season. That's a good time for everyone to get back into group riding. No one gets back into form in April if the group gets shattered every opportunity for a pace line. Our club's rides are "droptional" ? .. if you really just can't keep up that day you're expected to just wheel it back to the shop solo. But there is no concerted effort to drop people off the ride, that's just not group riding. If we have a long stretch often the power riders will try to thin the pace line gradually and then they token sprint a town line or maybe someone takes a flyer. But everyone sits up eventually and we re-group. If someone is off the back outta sight we keep going. Hills obviously beak up and the stick figures usually battle it out then sit up either on or after the descent unless it's a turn. I've been on a few different club's group rides and they all tend to be like that, maybe they want to enjoy a little more group dynamic and less power-fest? I'd give it a month and let people round into form and then reassess the dynamic. If your club really doesn't have a "Tuesday Night Worlds" then you might want to think about embracing the "group" part of the group ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next