Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [mrt77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrt77 wrote:
I must admit I am hopeless at deciphering the results of the CRR testing.

At the moment I have 23mm Conti SuperSonics on Zipp 808 FC (front and rear) running latex tubes. I was using them for the last two seasons and they are up for a replacement. Up until now I was thinking about picking Conti GP TT next, 23mm for the front (aero) and 25mm for the rear (added comfort)

would the new GP5000 make a better replacement? Should I pick 23mm or 25mm ?

i think, atleast this time around, the contis actually come up close to spec. EG, the 25 Tom tested was 26 in width. I would choose that for your zipps.

My bontragers are 27mm, so 28's would prob blow up too wide. 25 should be about right for me too, although they would probably mate to a firecrest a bit better.
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Dec 7, 18 1:54
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
mrt77 wrote:
I must admit I am hopeless at deciphering the results of the CRR testing.

At the moment I have 23mm Conti SuperSonics on Zipp 808 FC (front and rear) running latex tubes. I was using them for the last two seasons and they are up for a replacement. Up until now I was thinking about picking Conti GP TT next, 23mm for the front (aero) and 25mm for the rear (added comfort)

would the new GP5000 make a better replacement? Should I pick 23mm or 25mm ?

i think, atleast this time around, the contis actually come up close to spec. EG, the 25 Tom tested was 26 in width. I would choose that for your zipps.

My bontragers are 27mm, so 28's would prob blow up too wide. 25 should be about right for me too, although they would probably mate to a firecrest a bit better.

Thanks.

I should have added that the Zipp 808 FC I have are the older kind (pre-2015), so a bit narrower and (as far as I rememeber) optimized around 23mm tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Roval, I9, Boyd and Alto are among a few others that make hookless rims, along with most car and motorcycle wheels. A bead hook is either typically molded in or machined off, the latter of which can weaken fibers. Without the hook a rim can be stronger and have different interaction with tire bead for better shape.

Right...so it makes carbon rim manufacturing easier and stronger (like I said), but doesn't exactly improve the security of the tire/rim interface...or else there wouldn't be the restrictions on what tires are allowed, no?

I'll need more objective data on the "better shape" claim before judging that ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

Just got this today
$112.00 for two and latex tube’s

https://www.merlincycles.com/...mp;mc_eid=58cf00b7ac
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rruff wrote:
trail wrote:
Most people also don't use latex tubes. I'm a diehard member of the Effing Road Tubeless Mafia (FRTM). I will smugly ask, "Need anything?" as I roll by you on the side of the road.

>90% of the flats I get are sidewall cuts, and tubeless wouldn't help. Small sharp things like goatheads, staples, tire wires, etc will rarely puncture the latex tube if I stop and pull them out. Bigger things that puncture the tube are unlikely to be fixed by sealant.

Not my experience.

Oh, i'm in that club... I haven't changed a flat on any of my bikes in over 3 years. Why.... tubeless.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if I missed this or not but could someone chime in please - I run the Enve 7.8 wheelset and historically ran a set of 4000II 25mm width - If i want to run the GP5000 would I need to now go with the 28mm width to achieve the same 27mm that the GP4000 gave (or is this not known yet).

It is a shame that they are not recommended to run Tubeless

EDIT: I just read on Rolling resistance that the casing seems to match measured size;

Quote:

Size. Surprise: the 25-622 version of the GP 5000 measures 26 mm wide and 24 mm high at an air pressure of 100 psi / 6.9 bars on a 17C rim. This is a surprise because all previous 25-622 Continental Grand Prix tires with the 3/330 casing measured 27 mm wide on my rim.

I'm pretty sure Continental adjusted the size of the casings with the release of the GP 5000 as it makes sense with the popularity of wider rims these days. It also explains the lower specified weight of the GP 5000 range of tires. Be aware that the 28-622 GP 5000 is 25 grams lighter than the equivalent rated GP 4000 and might possibly be 2 mm smaller.

So if this is correct than the 28mm @ 100psi should equal in the 27mm range (which I run 100psi)
Last edited by: teddygram: Dec 11, 18 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enve 7.8 are tubeless compatible according to their website.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Enve 7.8 are tubeless compatible according to their website.

Sean,

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Enve does not recommend the GP5000 in tubless format for the rims due to the hookless design :(
Last edited by: teddygram: Dec 11, 18 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 4.5 AR disc are the only enve road wheels that are hookless. You’re good to go with your 7.8s.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
The 4.5 AR disc are the only enve road wheels that are hookless. You’re good to go with your 7.8s.

Thanks, I missed that!

Well that throws another hitch in the equation!

I guess for me it comes down to which one performs better overall now (waiting for BRR). The size questions still stands though - i'm thinking the GP5000 28mm are the old GP4000 25mm in terms of shape/size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My GP5000 25mm measured at ~26.8mm when mounted on a rim that was 27.5mm wide with a 19mm internal width. The GP5000 28mm on that same rim was just shy of 29.5mm. Both inflated to 95 psi.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
My GP5000 25mm measured at ~26.8mm when mounted on a rim that was 27.5mm wide with a 19mm internal width. The GP5000 28mm on that same rim was just shy of 29.5mm. Both inflated to 95 psi.

Interesting - thank you for getting that information!

I wonder if it would line up with the Enve rim being so wide. I have been on the struggle bus all day and need to quit skimming things as I misread not only this post with the Enve rims but what BRR stated about the tire width...
Last edited by: teddygram: Dec 11, 18 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the size difference between the 4000 and 5000:

I just took the 23 mm GP4000s off of my wheels (Giant SLR 0 Aero 55s). They measured approximately 25.50 mm in width fully inflated
I replaced them 25 mm GP5000s. The new ones measure approximately 25.70 mm. Just 0.20 mm larger.

They really did shrink them. The new 25s are the old 23s. Glad I didn't buy the 23 mm new ones.
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 14, 18 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Interesting, thanks.

Also use Giant SLR0 aero 55mm on the P3.
Did you also make measurement for heigh ?

The 25mm GP4000 was not fitting on the front wheel with my P3 (rubbing on frame after 300km), was going to go 23mm, but if they shrink, may be not ?
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not check the difference in height, I admit. I have to think it can't be that much. It seems to me that the new GP5000 25 is just a marginally larger GP4000 23 with lower rolling resistance
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 15, 18 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Regarding the size difference between the 4000 and 5000:

I just took the 23 mm GP4000s off of my wheels (Giant SLR 0 Aero 55s). They measured approximately 25.50 mm in width fully inflated
I replaced them 25 mm GP5000s. The new ones measure approximately 25.70 mm. Just 0.20 mm larger.

They really did shrink them. The new 25s are the old 23s. Glad I didn't buy the 23 mm new ones.

How old were your GP4000S tyres? They stretch over time. In my experience they grow at least one mm in width over time.

I've stopped using the GP4000s II tyres, as I had a few too many sidewall cuts with those tyres. I've probably binned four or five tyres due to sidewall cuts. Some cuts were too big too repair safely with a patch. Strangely enough, the old GP Attack and Force 22+24 mm have more durable sidewalls (in my experience), but I get a few more 'standard' penetration punctures. Sidewall cuts are terrible if you're running latex tubes like I do. While stiffer butyl tube sometiems work, the latex tubes peek through the sidewall holes and get punctured straight away.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always had issue with the side wall pealing on conti tires. Both for commuting tires and when my gf was running some of the first hot chilli tires. Has this issue been address with conti tires?
I'm a big fan of Vittoria tires - good price, ride nicely, not a lot of punctures. Can anybody comment on performance of the GP5000s vs vittoria tires?
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [imtri-inghard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bicyclerollingresistance.com, unbiased reviews of most popular tires. Very detailed, including puncture tests, sidewall, complete weight and measurements, and, of course rolling resistance. All Vittorias and Continentals are on the list, and he has a great comparison tool
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got them last year. Never heard anything about them stretching over time though. That would have been noticeable on my bike since the clearance in the rear is so tight that larger tires rub on the chainstay.

Gp4000s have always been very good to me. Incredibly tough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<replying to thread in general>

Anyone have or have seen measured width data on the 28 & 33c versions of these? preferably on wide rims like enve? tubeless or non?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I just got them last year. Never heard anything about them stretching over time though. That would have been noticeable on my bike since the clearance in the rear is so tight that larger tires rub on the chainstay.

Gp4000s have always been very good to me. Incredibly tough

GP4000 s2 stretched on my front wheel. I had initially 2mm clearance, and 300km after, it was rubbing on the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
bicyclerollingresistance.com, unbiased reviews of most popular tires. Very detailed, including puncture tests, sidewall, complete weight and measurements, and, of course rolling resistance. All Vittorias and Continentals are on the list, and he has a great comparison tool

Too bad they use butyl tubes in all the tests

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

Too bad they use butyl tubes in all the tests

And they don't test all available widths of tires.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
bicyclerollingresistance.com, unbiased reviews of most popular tires.

It's a good resource, but I'm a little skeptical of the accuracy and precision of the way he measures force on the tire and power to spin it.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it also provide comparison for GP4000s2 between :
butyl
butyl light
latex
Quote Reply

Prev Next