Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michelin suggest pressure between 6 and 8 bars on the road.
6 bars (approx 87 psi) for 50kg rider
8 bars (approx 116 psi) for 80 kg or higher

at 77kg, running my rear wheel on the dry between 110 and 113 is OK for me depending on road quality.
Alu training wheels are comfortable, and do the job.
Racing, generally better road quality, feel OK with carbon race wheels (55mm).

Rec. from Continental for GP4000S2 :
23mm : 110 psi (7,6 bars) - max 120
25mm : 95 psi (6,5 bars) - max 120

I suppose this is for average weight rider : 70kg ?

Considering at 77kg (+10%) I'm in the high range, adding 10% to 95 psi, and running 105 psi (for 25mm rear wheel) make sense for me (Ok I'm slightly above).

Again, when wet, go down to 90/100 PSI (F/R, when both 25mm).
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think a lot of P2 owners on this forum will attest than a Conti 4000 larger than a 23 does not fit well on that bike (depending on the year) and may rub. I'm running 25's on mine, but it required liberal screw adjustment in the rear dropouts and is still pretty tight. Was just thinking a 24 might be a good compromise. At the end of the day, I guess I should be using 23s, but greatly prefer the 25s.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 6, 18 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Disappointed they are not making a 24mm. I wonder if the 25mm will fit any better on my P2 than the 4000!?!?

On my P3 (2014) :

no problem to run 25mm GP4000s2 on rear wheel
front wheel, 25mm GP4000s2 leave not enough clearance (1 or 2mm only), but I did it anyway. After few hundreds km, the tire slightly change shape, and was rubbing on down tube.

Even if GP5000 is announced 1mm less in height (BRR measurement), I will go for 23mm for front wheel !
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Dec 6, 18 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Don_W wrote:
Disappointed they are not making a 24mm. I wonder if the 25mm will fit any better on my P2 than the 4000!?!?

Really, marketed sizes have almost become irrelevant as measured sizes are almost always different....although rarely smaller on a road tire so your point is taken.

Early accounts are that the 5000's fill out a bit smaller than the same nominally sized 4000SII. For all intents and purposes, a 25c 5000 seems to fit like a 24c 4000SII would have, if such a thing ever existed.

continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-5000-2018 (scroll to "Size and Weight Measurements" )

I was planning to order a set of 5000's, but the 4000SIIs are down to $30 (25's and 28's, anyway; didn't check 23's) with free Prime shipping on Amazon. For my non-race bike, the performance difference isn't enough to pay another ~$50/pair.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 6, 18 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Michelin suggest pressure between 6 and 8 bars on the road.
6 bars (approx 87 psi) for 50kg rider
8 bars (approx 116 psi) for 80 kg or higher

at 77kg, running my rear wheel on the dry between 110 and 113 is OK for me depending on road quality.
Alu training wheels are comfortable, and do the job.
Racing, generally better road quality, feel OK with carbon race wheels (55mm).

Considering at 77kg (+10%) I'm in the high range, adding 10% to 95 psi, and running 105 psi (for 25mm rear wheel) make sense for me (Ok I'm slightly above).

Again, when wet, go down to 90/100 PSI (F/R, when both 25mm).
In terms of comfort I'm inclined to go lower than that. There's no need for pressures that high. As I mentioned, I'm heavier and ride a lot of very poor roads yet I don't suffer pinch punctures. Beyond that it's about performance, where a compromise between comfort and rolling resistance is probably justified in long distance racing but comfort wins out in training. Do you know if they give any rationale for those recommended pressures or are they simply bouncing back what people tell them they use? Do they even break down the recommended pressures by tyre sizes, rider weight, bike type, or road quality?
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

yes, but the RR more than made up for it. With the gp5000 the gap of RR has seemed to have decreased significantly

For now. Since this is largely a new tread compound, I imagine they'll be rolling that compound out across the line over the next year or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Weird. I assumed all TLR rims were hookless these days.

Nope...for road/gravel use that Enve rim is a bit of a "unicorn"...and not necessarily in a good way due to its equipment restrictions

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is hookless really an MTB thing? All my other TLR rims are for CX/MTB.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Rear wheel : being a bit heavy (170lb) I will stick with 25mm on rear wheel, i think RR gain (at 115 PSI) will largely overcome slight aero loss, and is more comfortable

170lbs is a bit heavy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

Pretty much...and its only real purpose is to make carbon rims easier to manufacture.

Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

In terms of comfort I'm inclined to go lower than that. There's no need for pressures that high. As I mentioned, I'm heavier and ride a lot of very poor roads yet I don't suffer pinch punctures. Beyond that it's about performance, where a compromise between comfort and rolling resistance is probably justified in long distance racing but comfort wins out in training.

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that lower pressures are not only better for training, but also for racing.

Sure there's a small increase in rolling resistance, but you're not loosing momentum (or dropping a chain) bouncing all over the place.

Plus it also allows you to keep the power down over really bumpy stuff & corner with far more confidence.

At ~80kg I'm now running 80/75 on 25mm GPTTs. That's still a decent (pinch flat) margin over ENVE's tubeless ~67psi recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

Early accounts are that the 5000's fill out a bit smaller than the same nominally sized 4000SII. For all intents and purposes, a 25c 5000 seems to fit like a 24c 4000SII would have, if such a thing ever existed.

continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-5000-2018 (scroll to "Size and Weight Measurements" )

^^^^
Awesomeness. I'll try the 5000 25's out this spring.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 6, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Rear wheel : being a bit heavy (170lb) I will stick with 25mm on rear wheel, i think RR gain (at 115 PSI) will largely overcome slight aero loss, and is more comfortable

170lbs is a bit heavy?

Michelin describe riders from 50kg (6 bars) to 80kg / 80kg+ (8 bars).

So, 170lb (77kg) is on the top of the range for them.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

170lbs is a bit heavy?

We've gotten a bit more sophisticated about road tire pressures since that Michelin chart was first published. " 'Tis far better to err on the side of too little pressure than too much" :-)

https://silca.cc/...stance-and-impedance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
i think the best result can be
GP TT rear, 25mm
GP 5000 front, 23mm

I'm thinking this may be the way too. I have been using gpTT 25 on both wheels, which are super fat Aeolus, 27mm wide at the brake track. It seems a 25mm gp5000 on the front may be the way to roll now.

This does not make sense. Why would you use the tire with much less puncture resistance on the wheel with far greater chance of puncturing? According to the tests done so far, there is a negligible difference in rolling resistance between the gp tt and the gp 5000 ( .1 watt?)- So what is the advantage of greatly increasing your chance of puncturing on the rear wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Thanks. I think a lot of P2 owners on this forum will attest than a Conti 4000 larger than a 23 does not fit well on that bike (depending on the year) and may rub. I'm running 25's on mine, but it required liberal screw adjustment in the rear dropouts and is still pretty tight. Was just thinking a 24 might be a good compromise. At the end of the day, I guess I should be using 23s, but greatly prefer the 25s.

Keep in mind that the sizing of the GP4000 was off. A 23 mm Conti measured the same as a 25 mm gatorskin. So a 23 mm 4000 was really the size of a 25mm
The GP 5000 were corrected for this. So your 25 mm 5000 will be very close to the 23 mm 4000 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
CCF wrote:

Pretty much...and its only real purpose is to make carbon rims easier to manufacture.

Lower hookless rim lips are less prone to rock strike and damage.
Also less likely to cut the tyre when pinched in hard landings.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never had issues with punctures with the tt- plus it seems the 5000 isn’t all that much better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
I have never had issues with punctures with the tt- plus it seems the 5000 isn’t all that much better

I just do not understand any reason to choose the TT over the 5000. The CRRs are virtually the same, .1 - .3 watts difference in favor of TT, but they were not tested at the same time and this difference is well within margin of test error, and if you tested 10 tires of each there would likely be significant overlap of which is “faster”. While the TT puncture resistance is clearly enough for you, and most riders, the 5000 is in fact much better- by more than 20% by BRR tests, and more than 30% by Conti’s tests. Further tests have shown them to be extremely close on CdA and CRR combined, but the CdA is pretty much a non factor on the rear. The amount of miles you will expect on the tire is about double on the 5000 over the TT, so the cost per mile about 1/2 (BTW- you can get a 5000 today for about $ 45 at http://www.bike-discount.de).
So exactly what is the reasoning to buy the TT over the 5000? 20 grams of weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roval, I9, Boyd and Alto are among a few others that make hookless rims, along with most car and motorcycle wheels. A bead hook is either typically molded in or machined off, the latter of which can weaken fibers. Without the hook a rim can be stronger and have different interaction with tire bead for better shape.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Dec 6, 18 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it depends who's testing your looking at. Aerocoach says the RR is far better on the TT than what Tom says. 7 watts@ 45kmhr. Aero wise, it loses 1.7 watts.
Im not saying who is right or wrong for anyone. But i have a few TT tires here already, im not going to worry about putting a 5000 on the rear until the TT atleast wears out.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
CCF wrote:

Lower hookless rim lips are less prone to rock strike and damage.
Also less likely to cut the tyre when pinched in hard landings.

Ah, then it makes sense that everything is hookless hookless hookless in the MTB/CX world. I guess triathletes don't worry as much and rims holding up to five foot drops.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 test results [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

170lbs is a bit heavy?

We've gotten a bit more sophisticated about road tire pressures since that Michelin chart was first published. " 'Tis far better to err on the side of too little pressure than too much" :-)

https://silca.cc/...stance-and-impedance

Thanks for the read, it is really very interesting test and resulting datas.

One parameter of the test does not appear (or I missed it), the speed of the test (or different speeds for different surfaces ?). Do not know if speed have a significant impact, but possibly can.

From these tests and results, I understand breakpoint pressure for 190lbs (bike + rider) with 25mm GP4000s2 on carbon wheel and TT bike for the kind of road I'm going on is probably : 100 (coarse asphalt) to 110 psi (new asphalt).

Being 3 or 4% heavier (bike + rider + water +... = 197lbs), possibly 100 to 114 psi for me.

So pressure I was using (113 psi for 25mm) was optimal for good asphalt, but not for rougher ones.
So will move back my training pressure to 100 (for 25mm) and test. And understand the "lower less a problem than higher".

The last graph also explain the interest of the TT vs GP5000 in real world : more supple case will enable a "further" optimal point, getting a better Crr from higher pressure, due to "later" impedance impact. Interesting. But TT too fragile for me :-)
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Dec 7, 18 1:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must admit I am hopeless at deciphering the results of the CRR testing.

At the moment I have 23mm Conti SuperSonics on Zipp 808 FC (front and rear) running latex tubes. I was using them for the last two seasons and they are up for a replacement. Up until now I was thinking about picking Conti GP TT next, 23mm for the front (aero) and 25mm for the rear (added comfort)

would the new GP5000 make a better replacement? Should I pick 23mm or 25mm ?
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP5000 test results [mrt77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrt77 wrote:
I must admit I am hopeless at deciphering the results of the CRR testing.

At the moment I have 23mm Conti SuperSonics on Zipp 808 FC (front and rear) running latex tubes. I was using them for the last two seasons and they are up for a replacement. Up until now I was thinking about picking Conti GP TT next, 23mm for the front (aero) and 25mm for the rear (added comfort)

would the new GP5000 make a better replacement? Should I pick 23mm or 25mm ?
It appears the GP5000 RR is much closer to the TT but the TT is still better (difference varies depending on which testing you look at). Assuming the GP5000 has an aerodynamic advanatge up front which mitigates any small difference in RR, it may be the better choice since you'll get a more durable tyre with little or no cost and maybe even an advantage depending on the balance of RR and aero drag differences. At the back it's more debatable IMO. If it's very close on RR then the GP5000 may be the best choice purely for increased durability. Or, perhaps you stick with TT since the aerodynamic differences are less relevant. If the differences are very small, I'd go with GP5000 for both. If they're bigger, it may be worth considering TT, especially at the back. It may depend on which test data you trust more!
Quote Reply

Prev Next