Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But he said “bike under” as others have noted the cervelo’s are rarely under cavendish.

LOL,

Indeed - rough start to the year for Cav.

I'm sure we will see him riding to wins, on that failing Cervelo S5 in the Tour de France! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 23, 18 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
YIn fact it was Cervelo who really first defined that we shall have two distinct kinds of road bikes - the aero road bike (S-Series) and the all-around road bike (R-Series)

I'm not sure this is accurate. Specialized and I believe Felt both had aero road bike lines before Cervelo even got into the road bike game. I remember because when Cervelo came out with their first road bike in 2003 or so I was excited to go buy one--being a fan of the P3, but that first offering (I think it was called R3) was a lugged carbon job and was thoroughly unremarkable and very expensive for what it was. I kept my aero(ish) and brutally stiff Specialized M4 for a few more years.

In my opinion Cervelo lost their way when they stopped making long and low bikes for racers and started listening to "bike fitters" or whomever provided the company with feedback on how to fit a wider cross section of athletes ie. tall headtubes. As a result they started losing the trend setters/fast riders who were looking for more aggressive geometry and couldn't get the new geometry to work for them. Cervelo were able to coast off their brand name for awhile and were able to sponsor a lot of cool athletes and so continued to sell lots of bikes to the masses but I really believe that lots of people moved on to bike companies that made aggressive racing bikes, especially once the aero advantages that Cervelo built its reputation on were copied and/or improved upon by other bike companies.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
You're in T.O. so did you move to the LBC?

I have good flexibility with my work schedule so I commute TO<->LB. I drive in early and leave late to beat the traffic. I'm very happy and still able to train enough to make me pretty fit for a single sport.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy and still able to train enough to make me pretty fit for a single sport.

"Single sport"?

Did I miss something? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
You've got to think one is coming this year since they did the R5 last year. That being said, they had Dimension Data testing the R5 at the early season races and they released it around the Giro.

Just spent a week in Cuba test riding on the new 2018 Cervelo R5 - in a word: WOW!

Years ago, Cervelo staked out the ground in the road bike business with their all-around R-series. In fact it was Cervelo who really first defined that we shall have two distinct kinds of road bikes - the aero road bike (S-Series) and the all-around road bike (R-Series). The aero bikes got all the looks, and the ooohhh- aaawws, but for the really serious road rider/racer it was the R-Series that you really wanted!

Years and years of refinements, have made the new Cervelo R5 a true rocket-ship, that you can ride all day.

The bike also came with the new 2018 Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 - amazing. Light-years ahead of previous iterations!

I did NOT want to give it back!

Just got the new R5 this past weekend. Having only ridden a CAAD10 for 7 years prior for general riding, and more specifically road racing the last 4.5 years, I had no idea what to expect from a high end full carbon frame. The stiffness and responsiveness out of the saddle was a nice perk I noticed right off the bat. But when I crested the top of a big climb and pointed that thing downhill into a technical descent...that's when I really thought WOW!

The only disappointment I had was how harsh it was on poor roads. I was expecting a little more vibration dampening over my CAAD10, but it wasn't forgiving at all. I was running 90/90 psi on GP4000S 25's. The good news is that even those tires have about 5-6mm of rear wheel clearance on both sides at the stays, so 28's (measured 30+) should work. Those might be a requirement for me on less than stellar roads.

But when the roads were nice...super fun diving into corners and accelerating out of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo claims to be the first to introduce an aero road bike, with their aluminum Soloist in 2001:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ng-road-bikes-172711

Of course, that ignores all the steel aero road bikes introduced in the 1980s after Shimano Dura-Ace AX hit the market (e.g., by Miyata), but I don't think your claim that Cervelo was behind, e.g., Felt is at all correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
You're in T.O. so did you move to the LBC?

I have good flexibility with my work schedule so I commute TO<->LB. I drive in early and leave late to beat the traffic. I'm very happy and still able to train enough to make me pretty fit for a single sport.

Good for you. I looked at a job there (possibly the same one) but figured they wouldn't hire someone in a different city that would require flying down.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Fleck wrote:
but I really don't want to ride a bike brand that is not willing to put their bike under serious athletes.

Mark Cavendish is riding a Cervelo! :-)

Lol,

But he said “bike under” as others have noted the cervelo’s are rarely under cavendish.

Maurice
Actually Cavendish' bikes often are so fast they can become airborne (for a bit).
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheJakes wrote:
Hey blaxxxuede,

Yes, it stinks :(
The past few years have been tough financially for a lot of bike companies. Our management team took a hard look at where we needed to scale back and that meant some of our athletes contracts would not be getting renewed. It allows us to better focus on the smaller number of athletes and give them the best possible support.

Every triathlete we have ever sponsored was always carefully selected not only by their race results, but by their personality and fit within our company and team of athletes. We consider all our athletes as part of the Cervélo family so it was a very difficult decision to not renew contracts.

Although we are sad to lose some amazing people, we're excited to continue working with our current roster of athletes. Our engineering and design team is very focused on giving them and our customers the best tools to be faster in 2018 and beyond.

Jakub

Thanks for posting here and bringing the perspective of the Cervelo corporate side.

Given the way other corporate Representatives respond, I'm doubting youll answer this question, but I am genuinely curious as they are probably among my favorite professionals: what was it about the Wurtel team that didn't meet Cervelo's standards?

AFAIK, they rank very highly among the nicest, most liked, most respected and social media savvy triathletes out there. I probably watched Trevor's funny race recaps a few dozen times.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
mickison wrote:
blaxxuede wrote:
I know that with all the exposure Canyon has from their sponsorships they have caused me to give them a look as a serious contender for my next bike......I am currently on a Cervelo but I really don't want to ride a bike brand that is not willing to put their bike under serious athletes.

For me, whether a bike brand sponsors athletes has zero impact on my bike choice. Why does that matter to you?

Same reason I shop at my LBS as much as possible instead of buying online: they support the community (my LBS does, at least), so I support them.

ETA: that said, I'm still going to buy a bike based on fit and aerodynamics, and I'm not willing to hurt my own performance in order to support any one brand, but given the choice between two bikes that are relatively equal and both fit, as almost all bikes are these days, I'm going to choose the one that gives the most to the community.. (currently looking at a canyon myself).

instead of an online dealer like canyon why wouldn't you choose an LBS bike from a brand which sponsors triathletes?

I bought my Cervelo from an LBS. If you're buying Canyon, you're not buying from an LBS. How is that better?

Canyon has a location 4 miles from my house in carlsbad, sooooo......
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
Chloe Dygert

I bet that most people here have no idea who she is.

Been following her since she rode for TWENTY16 Professional Cycling. The rest of the girls too. Used to race against Ruth Winder and was with Megan Guarnier the first time she rode the track.

And since we’re talking about Cervelo, I still have my Prodigy road bike that Steve Larsen sold me. And one of the first P2K frames sold in NorCal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
mickison wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
mickison wrote:
blaxxuede wrote:
I know that with all the exposure Canyon has from their sponsorships they have caused me to give them a look as a serious contender for my next bike......I am currently on a Cervelo but I really don't want to ride a bike brand that is not willing to put their bike under serious athletes.

For me, whether a bike brand sponsors athletes has zero impact on my bike choice. Why does that matter to you?

Same reason I shop at my LBS as much as possible instead of buying online: they support the community (my LBS does, at least), so I support them.

ETA: that said, I'm still going to buy a bike based on fit and aerodynamics, and I'm not willing to hurt my own performance in order to support any one brand, but given the choice between two bikes that are relatively equal and both fit, as almost all bikes are these days, I'm going to choose the one that gives the most to the community.. (currently looking at a canyon myself).

instead of an online dealer like canyon why wouldn't you choose an LBS bike from a brand which sponsors triathletes?

I bought my Cervelo from an LBS. If you're buying Canyon, you're not buying from an LBS. How is that better?

Canyon has a location 4 miles from my house in carlsbad, sooooo......

Well. Aren’t you the lucky one. I stand corrected. Had no idea that had physical stores.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Had no idea that had physical stores.

They don't really. Canyon USA is headquartered in Carlsbad, and the HQ has a showroom. They might let you test ride out of HQ, but I'm not sure about that.

As far as I know they have absolutely zero plans to extend that physical presence beyond the HQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Thanks for posting here and bringing the perspective of the Cervelo corporate side.

Given the way other corporate Representatives respond, I'm doubting youll answer this question, but I am genuinely curious as they are probably among my favorite professionals: what was it about the Wurtel team that didn't meet Cervelo's standards?

AFAIK, they rank very highly among the nicest, most liked, most respected and social media savvy triathletes out there. I probably watched Trevor's funny race recaps a few dozen times.
I wonder the same thing. All respect to Frederik van Lierde but he has a limited social media presence and about the charisma of a wet towel; the Wurtele's on the other hand are way more exciting and dynamic and fun and also credible as far as the brands they recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All -

This is Sarah P here. I just wanted to respond to what Jak wrote. It is true - I am no longer with Cervelo and I am riding on a Canyon currently. Losing my Cervelo sponsorship was a very hard thing for me personally as I have never ridden on any bike OTHER than Cervelo since I started triathlons back in 2009. Their bikes are AMAZING. There is a reason that they are a leader in the industry. But, as Jak said, sometimes companies have to make tough decisions, and I was one of many athletes that had to be part of that.

The reason I am not riding on a Cervelo at the moment is that I decided this offered me a unique opportunity that I have never had before to try out a different brand/brands to see how other bikes worked for me. I am not sponsored by Canyon, nor did I get any sort of discount on their bike. I paid full price. I've researched MANY different brands and while some bikes are really fast I wasn't sure the geometry of the bike would be the best for me, or the road feel, etc. I consider many aspects of the bike, including aerodynamics. At the end of the day though, even the most aero bike won't be the fastest if the fit isn't right for the person. The rider provides the most drag, so riding a bike where you can put your actual body into a more aerodynamic position is key. So far the Canyon has been a pretty awesome bike to ride and I'm enjoying trying something new. I will also say that should I be lucky enough to have a bike sponsorship in the future, it will be on a bike that I can stand behind and really authentically say " This bike is amazing", in the same way that I was/still am able to emphatically talk about Cervelo for the 6 years I was with them. Some people take partnerships for the money, but I work with brands because I truly believe in the product they are making.
Last edited by: Spiampiano: Apr 24, 18 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a while I thought Cervelo was going to be releasing a new S5 this year. But I don't think so anymore.

Before the R5 was released, the inventory available for the R series bikes was becoming very thin. You could only order small and large size frames, and even those were limited. There simply was no inventory. The S5 at the same time of the year was experiencing the same thing. Very few bikes were available in mid range sizes and very few bikes were actually in the system all together. But in the last few weeks there has been a rather sudden flush of inventory. Most models that were sold out before suddenly have large quantities available.

The current S5 came out in 2015. The last one ran from 2012-2014. This generation is due for an update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi davejustdave,

The Wurtele's were an absolute dream to work with. They are the nicest, most liked and respected as you said and we loved working with them. They are amazing ambassadors for any brand because they are truly loyal and believe in the products they use. They don't choose product for money but because they want the best equipment to be the best. We were very excited to work with them when they came on board and they represented everything we look for from a athlete sponsorship level.

The funny videos and social posts were the cherry on top, and reflects the down to earth and quirky personalities of the both of them. Again, not renewing their contracts was extremely hard for us to do, especially for the few of us here who worked with them personally.

Ultimately, we trimmed budgets and we could only keep only a small number of athletes. Most of the remaining athletes have been with Cervélo for a long time such as Caroline, James and Jodie who began riding Cervélo with team TBB. Fred has also ridden our bikes for around 10 years. That certainly factored in the decision, as well as their social presence and great personalities. We would love to see these athletes through until retirement like we did with Lisa Bentley.

I hope that answers your question.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Spiampiano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sarah,

You were a big part of the P5X development and testing and we truly valued your sponsorship, so thank you. Congrats on your great race BTW!

Good luck on the rest of your season and see you in Kona :)

Jakub

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dave,

I don't know what line of work you are in, but several times in my career, it's happened to me where the trap-door has just swung open, through no fault of my own other than perhaps being in the wrong spot at the wrong time!

Sometimes things happen in business, that defy real explanations. How great you are. How nice you are. How well you are doing. The value that you are adding . . . . all become irrelevant! And, boom! Since, I've worked in sales pretty much my whole life, one way or the other, you have micro events like this happening to you almost daily, and then the big macro ones happen, it's the same . . . you just move on. You'll kill yourself trying to figure it out . . so you move on.

When I see this happen elsewhere now, I just chock it up to this.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy,

The predecessor to the Soloist was the Cervelo Eyre Road bike. I believe they had this out it 1997. I had one of these - picture here from the Let's See Your Ride thread - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...your_ride!_P1655982/

AS the story goes, they did not have much success with the first Cervelo road bikes starting with the Eyre Road in '97 - not sure if this was because of what Gerard and Phil were doing at the time from a business/marketing stand-point, or that the market was not really ready for a bike like this. Hard to say.

They did have more initial and early "success" with the TT/Tri bikes of that time, and more genuine interest from the triathlon market - which is NOT surprising. The Tri market has always been more open and willing to try new things, gear and brands. PowerBar - as another example, had more initial success in the triathlon market, than the running market, even though it was founder Brian Maxwell's intention to promote and sell into the running market first (Maxwell was a 2:13 Marathon runner).

It was not until the time of the CSC sponsorship deal ( early 2000's), with Bjarne Riis, that Cervelo's road bikes, and the new aluminum Soloist, started to have some real interest.

All this is talked about in new, just released book, on the history of Cervelo, written by co-founder Phil White's wife, Anna Dopico called, "To Make Riders Faster". I have been sent a pre-release copy of the book, and I had planned on starting a separate thread on it after I've had a chance to read it through.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:

Has Canyon gone on some big signing spree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had forgotten about the Eyre, although I was certain that Cervelo was in the aero road bike business before the big players really expressed much/any interest.

Also thanks for the heads up about the new book. By chance I crossed paths with Phil and Gerard at the TAMU wind tunnel before Cervelo was even formed, so it will be interesting to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two athletes I mentioned plus a few others have moved to Canyon......dunno if they are signed but they are def riding Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
blaxxuede wrote:

Has Canyon gone on some big signing spree?

Signing up athletes but again, not with free rides. That's a good business model.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo losing/dumping athletes? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:

My response my in reference to the bold part of the post, I didn't make the connection you were also the OP.

As for Sara's follow up post, I wasn't aware that she had purchased her bike, but quite honestly, that's an even bigger endorsement of the brand that if she was indeed sponsored.
Last edited by: Andres: Apr 24, 18 17:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next