Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canadian roll call!!! and what makes us Canadian [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay, from Calgary, Alberta.
Sometimes known as the Flowbee rep, World Bog Triathlon Champion, mistaken for Chuck Norris, and train with a great bunch of guys here in cowtown.

Arranged sponsorship for dukyle at his request with skortman inc, check 'em out : www.skortman.com

Today marked the last 'un-seasonally warm day in Calgary'...back to reality and bike trainer rides. Looking forward to Florida at xmas, arizona in feb, kicking dukyles ass at bare-bones (it's so long overdue), and then of course training with him for a week in penticton after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [Peter Tye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. I'll have to get down there next year. I looked at doing it in '03, but my schedule didn't allow it.

Also, I'm sorta newly single, which kinda sucks, so maybe :)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in Rick 47 Kingston Anatomy tech same partner 25 years she did her first tri this year. I have enjoyed speedskating for years with with my sons, youngest now 18. He got me started in tri's 5 years ago. I now ride a Cervelo dual son Zach on a trek Trek road bike, my wife rides a built up older steel/ultegra (thanks to cerveloguy's advice)
aiming for IMLP 2007 or 2008
RickEH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, did not post here yet:

Born Vancouver BC, grew up in Montreal (the best city in Canada for partying) and lived my adult life in Ottawa. 40 years young (or so I like to tell myself). Work in the High Tech Industry as a product manager for a biometrics company, but have done the same in semiconductors and networking s/w. Some days I wish I was back in the Air Force again, where I spent my first 9 years out of RMC. Much more satisfying seeing that CF-18 put down the landing gear coming home from a mission , knowing your software did its job :-)

21 year in tris, way too many races (over 150 now). Married for 11 years, son is 9, coach kids XC skiing (www.kanataxcski.ca) and soccer (www.kanatasoccer.ca) . Need another 38 Ironmans to catch up to the Joe Bonness total of 50...

Favourite sport is XC skiiing (right around the corner), although I like racing tris better (ski races are sooooo fickle with the getting the wax and ski selection right...).

Post way too often on slowtwitch :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul William Vernon Gonsalves aka Speedy Gonsalves

40, married, 2 boys, 3 cats, 2 fish & dog (English Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
Live in Kitchener, ON
22 years in the sport
Love to go fast. Hate to go slow
5 - 6 hours per week training
Currently on a Blue Competition T-12 for Multisport, RC-4 for road, CX 5.5 for cross/foul weather

Drive a Volvo 850 Turbo & 745 Turbo Intercooler

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [grahamkissack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where on the island are you? I'm in Campbell River.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! and what makes us Canadian [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or have you already, alegedly been scheming with him..?

Who? The fastest non-pro @ IMC - that's who.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude...what am I, chopped liver?

Matt, 33, from Toronto (T-Dot represent).
Married, 8 year old labrador retriever.
I race everything from sprints to IM's. Going into my 4th season.
Driving an '01 Acura MDX.

And Kent, I'd say a horse was a heck of a lot more than a pet.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deke...I'm in Maple Bay just outside of Duncan. Say Hi to Steve Nagel and Jason Wellard from me!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chopped liver no (unless I count you so for picking a steel steed and not keeping me up to speed on the purchase...ahem)...but you have been in absentia off and on for a while...and like Mr Hummel..you are more than capable of introducing yourself. Likely better at it too. I'da said..oh yeah mfreeman72 is Canadian too..the Canadian George Hincapie evil twin. And the horse is more than just a pet..it's a marriage wedge. She sees more time in the hay than I do...no further comment needed there. A very very expensive pet..that isn't mine.
Anyone else sense the dislike for the horse here?
While I'm at it...any other locals I have forgotten (John Salt better step up to the plate here or I'll back Dan next time he lambastes him for not posting often enough)....the mic is now open...step up.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you part of the big Cambell River group that stays at Wright's at IMC every year on the site closest to the public beach?

Brent from Calgary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Originally from Boston, I've spent 25 of my 56 years in Canada. We now live east of Ottawa; previously we lived in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Toronto, and Ottawa itself.

I started triathlons in '00, and have done 39, including two irons and eleven 1/2s. (There have also been four duathlons as well.) The 1/2 is the sweetest common distance ---- although an argument can be made for "hybrids" such as Muskoka and K-Town, which run 2000m/55km/15km.

The older I get, the less tolerant I become of northern winters. The longer I'm in multisport, the more I crave climates that allow "wintertime" cycling. The U.S. southwest beckons!!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Brandon, Manitoba. Interestingly I've raced against the Trevor Funk, who posted here, in the Morden Half Ironman; and also against another Trevor Funk in the Regina Marathon. I'm not sure if I count as I'm still dithering about citizenship - really fond of Canada, but still a bit Scottish/Euro. I'd be proud to stand with the Canadians if you'll have me! Preparing for my first IM, which will be Penticton 2006.

"I'm going to stick to my sardines" - Cassidy
"Others took their lemons and stood up and walked." - Kestrelkerri
"I will never know quite why I set out on the run. I guess because it was next." - Nachocheese
"No, just to people on the Forum. My athletes are the control group." - Paulo Sousa
" Actually, I am naturally an Asshole....not unlike the way you are naturally an idiot." IRONLOBO
Last edited by: john b: Nov 25, 05 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more Canadian here,

Alexia, living in Vancouver (originaly from France), 33, married with a 7 yrs old Golden retreiver ...work as an Assistant Director in the Film Industry (crazy schedules), mountain bikes, ski, surf (snow & ocean), travel, trail running ... got into tris after quitting smoking in sept 01....will never look back

Doing tris since 2002, mix road/off road 2002 & 2003, sold my Quintana Roo Kilo in 04, doing Xterras only for the past 2 seasons, qualified for the US nationals at Tahoe this year (I race with a UAST licence). Thinking of getting back on the road for an IM next year ...(maybe w/ a Cervelo Dual ?).

drive a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...so I can haul all my gear ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Last edited by: Alexia: Nov 25, 05 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [dwindrim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey dave I did a training camp in orangeville last summer and was impressed by the selection of great roads for cycling! I thought orangeville was a little town with four stop signs :-) good coffee shops!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the same club but still not sure I'm nuts enough to do IMC.

Deke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in too! Vancouver B.C. born and raised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I put in a bid as a future Canadian? I am currently have an immigration application in process to move to Vancouver. The only thing worrying me is that you have more rain for 10 months of the year than here on the South Coast and it's only warmer for 2 months! Still, not much snow either.

Perhaps, I should change the locale to Victoria, eh?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm In.
Scott, 41 years old., wife and four kids in Hamilton, ON.
Newspaper photographer for 16 years.
Started triathlons in 1995 but concentrated on just running for the last few years. Got back into tris last year and did my first iron distance race lin Septemer in Ottawa.Hope to do more.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Julian; You're in. But you Brits will have to stop stealing our town and city names. :-)

Also if you're really concerned with the weather in Vancouver. I highly recommend you look at places that have the word Fort or Lake in it. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hallo canucks and pseudocanucks,

...julian you shouldnt worry about the rain in Van, though its similar to the UK, theres way more to do, if tis raining you go up up up where there is snow and slide around...not that I am there, but it is a great town...and listen all you need to enter Canada in a hurry is a liberal friendly stripper and your all set. on my way over to the uk today, or i wouldnt be up this early. jeez.

i'm an import model canuck from the UK 30 years ago...now located equidistantly between allan and cerveloguy in belleville...schooled in thunder bay and kingston and worked from the west to quebec for fun jobs...teaching snowboarding and whitewater raft guiding...paying bills and buying toys is currently accomplished by running a manufacturing plant

started races last year (ktown) and am having great fun...fully integrated into the cervelo mafia with a soloist, and a P3 that i am still trying to figure out...coming along with much fiddling

ride and swim around with cerveloguy and his wife and the local roadies...with the occasional guest appearance from allan.

cheers all and see you at some races.

andrew thew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little slow off the mark....

33 and have no pets

Spent the first half of my life in New Brunswick then slowly started migrating west....8 years in Ontario (where I started to swim, bike, run) and 6 in Calgary (where I rode my trusty Thin Blue Line to work year round).

Have raced 224km 6 times and 515km on the 'Big Island' this weekend last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add me to list,

Peter Phillips, Being doing Tris since 1996. Prefer Dus (read my swim sucks) though ya just have to get wet to do Ironman. Born, raised and live in Southern Ont. probably die here, best training area in the world. (for 4months in the summer anyways). Usually just Lurk on ST but just had to pop in to raise my little maple leaf.

Also don't forget Noel Harrington former IMC winner and Nigel Gray who was third there this year.

Peace
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you say about the placenames, I was looking through the thread and noticed that aside from the well known place names like London, Windsor, Birmingham and Kingston the vast majority of names that I had not heard of are English in origin. As for alternative Canadian locations its got to be Van based due to the gf's family.

You have to take it as a warning when residents call rain "liquid sunshine!"

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian roll call!!! [Dumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where you were based in the UK, Andrew but I am pretty well indoctrined in the outdoor world here in Bournemouth. I have a 3 minute walk to swim in the sea 9 months of the year, 5 minutes jog and I am on a nature reserve for trail and shoreline running. Go East for 10 minutes on the bike and I have more hills than you can shake a stick on quiet country lanes. Go West and you can chose hills or windy, flats in the forest. Just about the only thing we don't have is mountains!

I'm looking forward to meeting up with the Van crew (SimpleS, Khai, Andypants, Zulu, Powergyzo and all) for some riding over the holiday season.

Where are you going to be when you are over here? Safe flight.

Quote Reply

Prev Next