Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

Yup, we're very familiar with Rabi's and Prof. Bradshaw's excellent papers and articles on WT design. I know you were just poking with the comment on the open circuit design - but after evaluating the pros and cons of open vs. closed circuit designs, we prioritized having a larger test section for the same floor space (especially given our relatively low operating speeds).

Think of it as more of a "gentle nudge/wink" ;-)

The fact that you put the crates in place to mimic the yet to be constructed twin control room points to the fact that your return leg isn't exactly "poorly designed" :-)

Lots of REALLY good stuff comes out of open-circuit designed tunnels.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When I referred to the 2 gF figure (at 50km/h on a std. day) that's the target resolution and repeatability (in layman's terms, we want to be able to reliably and repeatably measure differences of 2 gF). At the facilities that I've been to, we typically get between 5-10 gF depending on the test setup.

Sorry I assumed you meant that the balance by itself was accurate to 2 gF. i.e. with a calibration rig or some known masses, not with the tunnel on and measuring the drag on something.

I have to admit, whatever you have done to get that level of consistency is pretty impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In reference to the wind tunnel comparison I was curious if you had done back to back testing with the same bike in multiple tunnels and compared the results. In the auto racing world when ever a new tunnel came online the manufacturers would do a comparison test to the tunnel that was considered the "gold std." (for the mfg. I was privy to it was Lockheed in Atlanta) and compared the outputs for a given car. For instance the most dramatic differences I ever saw was front downforce for the Chrysler tunnel was reported to be a couple counts different than Lockheed due to the vertical return and how they did the laminar tripping in the Chrysler tunnel vs. the horizontal return at Lockheed. I was just curious with the emphasis on the test area size whether the data in your tunnel trended in one way at high yaws vs. data taken at the little A2, or whether the data mirrored each other pretty well across all the yaw angles.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a cool tidbit about the Chrysler/Lockheed tunnel comparison! Yea, I would imagine for performance cars especially, how ground effect is modeled is pretty important. We don't have enough data yet that I would be comfortable claiming seeing different yaw trends (and furthermore directly attributing that to blockage differences). Also, as far as cycling tunnels go A2 is actually pretty good in that regard which is why we tested there. It's the smaller aeronautical tunnels that I would be more wary about.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much of the wind tunnel project was developed or learned from the relationship with McLaren? Will you guys share data with each other and review together? How does this affect the ongoing relationship with them in future? Besides the aero testing and technical know how, I know they also helped with the carbon lay-up on the McLaren Venge. Will this turn into more of a technical materials relationship since you are taking the aero testing in house?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
How much of the wind tunnel project was developed or learned from the relationship with McLaren? Will you guys share data with each other and review together? How does this affect the ongoing relationship with them in future? Besides the aero testing and technical know how, I know they also helped with the carbon lay-up on the McLaren Venge. Will this turn into more of a technical materials relationship since you are taking the aero testing in house?

We currently have a bunch of projects going on with McLaren, from composites to dynamics & vibrations. We'll continue to work on aero etc with them. The only thing that changes now is that we have a tunnel here and some more CFD and on-road tools. With McLaren, it's as much or more about their engineers and technologists as it is their tools. The relationship with McLaren is as strong as ever and we're all pumped on the next big things coming!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris

I have always been curious about calibration of strain guages. Is that something you have to do before each new measurement or set up? Is there some kind of NIST traceability for that?

Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wonder how much of the inconsistencies between data sets of different manufacturers is based on different tunnels used. For instance the Mavic data showing different high yaw data for Zipp wheels than Zipp shows. It is possible that it is due to testing protocol differences, different equipment choices, but some of it may be a coloring of the data by the tunnel that is being used. I was hoping you guys had done some of the leg work to figure out the differences to try and help us all piece different information together into a coherent picture.

I have no experience with the small A2 tunnel, but from my limited experiences with the tunnel next door they are a class act and are constantly trying to improve the usefulness of the tunnel as a tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
Hey Chris

I have always been curious about calibration of strain guages. Is that something you have to do before each new measurement or set up? Is there some kind of NIST traceability for that?

Thanks,
Mike

Yea, it's actually kind of like using a power meter. We zero the readings periodically during a test. For calibration (e.g. finding the slope relationship between applied force and voltage output of the sensors), we will do that when anything on the balance apparatus itself changes. It's pretty stable otherwise. We will also verify the cal regularly. We perform the cal with NIST weights but everything on the balance end is custom in house.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I just wonder how much of the inconsistencies between data sets of different manufacturers is based on different tunnels used. For instance the Mavic data showing different high yaw data for Zipp wheels than Zipp shows. It is possible that it is due to testing protocol differences, different equipment choices, but some of it may be a coloring of the data by the tunnel that is being used. I was hoping you guys had done some of the leg work to figure out the differences to try and help us all piece different information together into a coherent picture.

I have no experience with the small A2 tunnel, but from my limited experiences with the tunnel next door they are a class act and are constantly trying to improve the usefulness of the tunnel as a tool.

Yea, the guys at A2 and Aerodyne are definitely class acts. I think you're right about the different tunnel facilities playing some role in seeing slightly different data from different sources. It'll be interesting to explore further but that may require some collaborative effort at other facilities (after all, we built the tunnel so we wouldn't have to travel anymore!).

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Nate and All,

"Why do I have to put shoe covers on to make my shoe aero? I can't do that in a tri (but shoe covers save time).

We need some type of shoe with the ratchet in the heel (maybe entry point is in the heel too). The rest if the shoe should be really aero/smooth."

Suggest that you must consider shoe/cleat/pedal combination as an aero unit ..... not just the shoe.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4558598#4558598

Showing smooth pedal retraction (like aircraft wheels) into shoe body

Covers not required for View-Speed Aero modified shoes (although a smooth top shoe like the Bont works best) and you can run on the shoes.

Saves 40 seconds per hour San Diego LWST = saves 4 min in 6 hour race.

Available .................. now.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Aspo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aspo wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
You guys need to start aero.specialized.com. Make it a blog dedicated to the wind tunnel and aero testing.

THIS

Nothing builds trust like the truth. Hopefully, you are the fastest most of the time. When you aren't, say so. That way when you are, people listen. The truth in a marketing driven, spin infested space would be refreshing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

The contraction ratio is 4:1. We had a lot of back and forth in the early design balancing either maximizing contraction ratio or test section size (can't do both given the space we had). After some simulations and consulting with our team of tunnel experts, we came to the conclusion that 4:1 would be sufficient for the speeds that we're running.

The tunnel is completely indoors and sits inside a completely sectioned off area of the building. So "ambient" is still all internal. We have a couple of stages of "flow cleaning" at the beginning of the inlet (honeycomb and wire mesh). We have done a round of mapping in the test section and I'm about to do a second round with a different (fancier) probe. Flow uniformity is quite good across the cross-section but, as you can imagine, is quite sensitive to what is outside the tunnel....which is why it's important to have a controlled space for it to sit in.

Hmmm...so, in reality it's actually a "closed circuit" design? I'm imagining that the air flowing out of the exit eventually makes it's way back around to the inlet, no?

More or less. If you stand in the warehouse room that holds the A2 tunnel you can actually feel a fairly strong breeze blowing opposite the direction of the tunnel flow. Enclosing an "open return" tunnel has advantages, particularly for testing humans (better control of environmental conditions), but I have to believe there's a fairly substantial efficiency gain too. A2's power requirements at bike testing speeds are LOW--under 50hp//37kw as I recall. Granted, they have a smaller TS, but I think the enclosure of the tunnel plays a small part.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, sorry for the last second notice but we will be hosting a live Q&A session with video this afternoon from 4-5pm PST. Chuck Teixeira and I will be answering questions this time around. We'll do the same on Thurs but at 9am PST (I believe) with Mark Cote and Chris D'Aluisio online.

Link: http://www.specialized.com/...ws/latest-news/16025

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

The fact that you put the crates in place to mimic the yet to be constructed twin control room points to the fact that your return leg isn't exactly "poorly designed" :-)

Lots of REALLY good stuff comes out of open-circuit designed tunnels.

I'm reminded me of a quote that said something like: all wind tunnels are closed loop. The difference is only the degree of efficiency of the return path. :-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
When I referred to the 2 gF figure (at 50km/h on a std. day) that's the target resolution and repeatability (in layman's terms, we want to be able to reliably and repeatably measure differences of 2 gF). At the facilities that I've been to, we typically get between 5-10 gF depending on the test setup.

You're hoping for 2 gF for the bike alone? And you've been seeing 5-10 gF for the bike alone, or for the bike+rider, at these other facilities?

The best I've seen from a field test (with bike+rider, of course) would have been in the ballpark of 5-10 gF at 14 m/s.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Robert,

That's correct, the target is 2 gF for no (live) rider and we have typically seen 5-10 gF at other facilities, again with no (live) rider. A really good/steady rider will get us numbers in the same range but a poor one can be a lot worse so the window is pretty big once you factor that in. As you know, the same is true for field testing - which as you point out requires a rider! So for R&D stuff, it may take a bit longer to hone in on the effect of a design change due to the additional variable. Not saying it can't be done, just using the different tools for different pieces of the puzzle.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

You're hoping for 2 gF for the bike alone? And you've been seeing 5-10 gF for the bike alone, or for the bike+rider, at these other facilities?

The best I've seen from a field test (with bike+rider, of course) would have been in the ballpark of 5-10 gF at 14 m/s.

Are you talking about me again? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
RChung wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

Well, Chris said:
Quote:
A really good/steady rider will get us numbers in the same range

so, yeah, I'm talking about you, damn you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Well, Chris said:
Quote:
A really good/steady rider will get us numbers in the same range

so, yeah, I'm talking about you, damn you.

:-) It's getting warmer here in the mornings and is getting into prime field testing season...I think I'll be stopping by the local craft store to procure some "standard shapes" to help calibrate my new half-pipe venue (as AC calls it, the "Tom Compton Challenge")...

BTW, and I don't recall if this was brought up earlier, but as you well know, one of the "advantages" of field testing is that the "power to rotate" of the wheels is included in the overall demand.

Chris or Mark, can you go into detail about how you guys plan to measure that value consistently and include it in your measurements?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

:-) It's getting warmer here in the mornings and is getting into prime field testing season...I think I'll be stopping by the local craft store to procure some "standard shapes" to help calibrate my new half-pipe venue (as AC calls it, the "Tom Compton Challenge")...
An alternative is to re-visit the "delta mass" experiment. Since a Newton is a Newton, hold your CdA constant and run with empty vs. half-full water bottle (~200 or 250 ml or so, depending on what the Crr is). That should also be a difference in drag of ~0.1 N. If you can detect that amount of difference in rolling drag you ought to be able to detect that amount of difference in aero drag.

Quote:
BTW, and I don't recall if this was brought up earlier, but as you well know, one of the "advantages" of field testing is that the "power to rotate" of the wheels is included in the overall demand.

Chris or Mark, can you go into detail about how you guys plan to measure that value consistently and include it in your measurements?
I don't know whether that's an advantage or a disadvantage -- I just think of these sorts of differences as characteristics of each particular method. But it is something I'd like to know, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

An alternative is to re-visit the "delta mass" experiment. Since a Newton is a Newton, hold your CdA constant and run with empty vs. half-full water bottle (~200 or 250 ml or so, depending on what the Crr is). That should also be a difference in drag of ~0.1 N. If you can detect that amount of difference in rolling drag you ought to be able to detect that amount of difference in aero drag.

Good idea. Even better would be if I'd have someone there who would change the water level unbeknownst to me so that when I analyzed the runs I wouldn't know ahead of time which was which ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
RChung wrote:

Good idea. Even better would be if I'd have someone there who would change the water level unbeknownst to me so that when I analyzed the runs I wouldn't know ahead of time which was which ;-)
Ah, yes. That was a funny critique.

You needn't actually only put 200 ml of water in the bottle. You can put any mass in there (as long as you weigh it; how about something dense like krugerrands?) and see how closely the measured change in drag force matches the known change in mass. That's your standard and you won't have to worry about standard "shapes." Much cleaner experiment. You'd maybe want to change the test protocol into a hill climb and then compare the VE profiles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Initially, we'll be measuring the electrical power that the drum motors are drawing. That, along with the motor efficiency tables, should get us pretty close. However, if that doesn't look like it's hacking it, we've designed the apparatus so that we can insert some rotary torque cells in the drive system. We'll also have load cells to measure the normal force applied to the tire. As I had mentioned earlier, this measurement will include rolling resistance on our smooth (and small diameter) drum so to tease out rotational aerodynamic drag, we'll need to either use the same tire and pressure and do comparative tests or measure Crr using a lab fixture with a similar drum (and subtract that value out from the total power-to-spin number measured in the tunnel).

Edit: I just realized you may have also been referring to how we plan on reporting it....well, good question. How would you like to see it? A total drag curve including everything? 2 separate curves, 1 including all and another including just the translational or rotational drag components?

And as Robert mentions, the different tools each have different strengths - the tunnel allows us to isolate the effects of different parts of the bike/rider system a bit easier (and going to the extreme, in CFD we can isolate drag contribution from different sub-components). Imagine having different parts (e.g. wheels or mannequin) on an isolated stinger so we still get the aerodynamic flow contribution but we can include or exclude its force contribution. So say we make a change to a wheel and the overall drag reading decreases by X amount. Is that X all from the wheel change or is it now interacting differently with the frame or rider and we're getting some benefit there? (or in an extreme case, maybe the wheel is actually higher in drag but the frame/rider has benefited enough to compensate).

Sorry I'm rambling now and shouldn't spill all the beans ;-)...

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Last edited by: chrisyu: May 22, 13 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yes, technically speaking it's "closed.""

i don't see how you can describe this tunnel as such. this would mean that every open circuit tunnel indoors is really a closed circuit tunnel, and the only real open circuit tunnels are non-recirculating tunnels that are outdoors. is that what you're saying, or am i misunderstanding? not that i think it matters, because of everything you do to condition and straighten the air.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next