Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that lacks a bit of class. I do not own any Specialized bike nor have I ever done so. I do have a Giant Cross bike and love it, but this kind of call out reminds me a bit of some dude showing up at the wedding of Tom and Susan and yelling out loud "Congrats on that pending wedding Susan. How about I show you my penis, and Tom needs to do the same. Let's see which penis truly is bigger.....once and for all. So Susan, you pick the time. I bring the penis."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I think that lacks a bit of class. I do not own any Specialized bike nor have I ever done so. I do have a Giant Cross bike and love it, but this kind of call out reminds me a bit of some dude showing up at the wedding of Tom and Susan and yelling out loud "Congrats on that pending wedding Susan. How about I show you my penis, and Tom needs to do the same. Let's see which penis truly is bigger.....once and for all. So Susan, you pick the time. I bring the penis."

Easy to make a mistake with social media. Bet there are some people over at Giant who are none too thrilled that was posted. Besides, careful what you wish for, right? Ol' Tom might be might be hung like a horse. ;-)

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

All our data is either normalized to coefficients...

Translation: You work with results in terms of CdA...as it should be. Nice. :-)

Data should only be in CdA's unless converting to true forces or power to overcome. A lot of the confusion in aero over the years has been due to gF talked about and then it's unclear if that's at 30 mph, 40 kph, 10 m/s... too many units.

We use CdA (m^2) here and talk deltas as non-dimensionalized percentages. We're working to make sure we're consistent here and hope to do a better job publishing data to the world in the future. Room for improvement for sure.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you then tell me that your Z coordinate is positive in the up direction you will be my hero (the old aerospace std. of z is negative up has infected too many disciplines including automotive).
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
If you then tell me that your Z coordinate is positive in the up direction you will be my hero (the old aerospace std. of z is negative up has infected too many disciplines including automotive).

But, then they would have to swap + and - yaw ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until the main focus of testing bikes in a wind tunnel is aerodynamic lift it makes the most sense to make Z + up. No one, to my knowledge, does it and it is a personal pet peeve. But as a professor once told me, the benefit of being an engineer is being able to define the coordinate system you choose to work in, what he failed to explain was you would be haunted by previous engineers decisions for the entirety of your career:)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask us (almost) anything about our Wind Tunnel [Ossbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be intereste in that too!
Quote Reply

Prev Next