Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great advice. I run 7 days a week year round so i use the 100 days each year to work in a double or two a week but no huge jumps in mileage, nice and gradual. With a March marathon and an April 50 miler on my calendar this comes at a good time for winter training motivation but i have to have patience and make sure i don't do anything too stupid.
Keep the tips coming
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [OldAndInTheWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great for you if you run 7 days a week, are injury free and do it for the enjoyment of the sport (nothing wrong with that). There MAY be better ways to get faster, however, getting faster may or may not be the goal that everyone has (seriously, it is not my number 1 goal either)....it might be more about just doing the next workout, which is a perfectly valid thing to do.

Today was a good example for me of how a 30 min run is better than nothing. I had a window of 45 minutes where I could get a 30 min run in, or eat my breakfast more leisurely, or just do some extra work, (which could be done at any other time slot in the day). I decided that I'd be happier if I went and ran. Ideally I would have preferred to run for 45-60 minutes this morning, but 34 minutes were better than zero...I needed to push the start time of my next apointment out by 5 minutes, but the person who I had to meet with was fine with that.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acefaser wrote:
Scot wrote:
Tip of the day: Patience!
I see many new athletes try to rush the process thinking more is better. I caution to be careful and show some patience. Do not try to increase your mileage more than 10-15% higher than the week before. i also think you increase for 2 weeks and come back down to a bit and recover. Dev's one race a month builds that recovery into the program nicely. I am looking at spreadsheet and can see people who are chasing the spreadsheet. With this challenge as the other sport's challenges on this site there are obvious athletes who are experienced and handle higher training loads and then there are newcomer's who are excited by the challenge. If you have only run 3-4 per week then 8-10 per week is too aggressive for the first week. For new runner's add gradually and safely and then maintain frequency through season. Running is one sport where injury from overuse is a reality.Pay attention to each day. Just because the schedule says 10 miles does not mean you are recovered for 10 miles . The schedule needs adaption daily.

I would like to know how you can look at the chart and tell who is chasing the spreadsheet? How do you know their training loads?

It's pretty easy to tell who is spreadsheet chasing when there are a ton of exactly 30 minute runs only, because there is no sane running program on the planet that recommends that. This is not optimal training. But hey, if it gets people out, that's OK....just remember to schedule recovery into the process.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at 46 years of age and having started running when I was 13, I know pretty much just run cause it is what I love most. I stopped swimming a few years ago and haven't biked since the spring. With family and work commitments i find i can get in running easier plus it's what I like best. I did just PR the marathon in my 7th one last month at Philly. But that is mainly because I didn't start doung longer distances until i was 38. Now I am more interested in training (doing 2 or 3 races a year) for ultra's and just running for the sake of running. As the years go by my mileage and frequency have gone up but my injuries have gone down.

Last Sunday I had a booked day so I blew off a nice breakfast to get in a 45 minute run and quickie (breakfast)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [OldAndInTheWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm like you, and run 7 days a week. I have for years, and maintain a fairly high weekly mileage around 50-70 miles per week, year round (at least high for an old fart like me - 55). This time of year its mostly slow miles, with the intensity picking back up in the Spring. I know this sounds crazy, but I haven't had an injury in years and I attribute it to a fairly high base. The only days I miss are usually due to my work or travel schedule. I live in Minneapolis and work in Chicago during the week, so when I'm in Chicago I usually do doubles for lack of anything else to do. That's why the 100/100 is right up my alley.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following BarryP's plan for the last 7 weeks; the previous month I did no running due to hospitalization/complications after a bike crash. I am wondering which is generally a better strategy to fit in that 7th run/week: doubling up 1 day and taking 1 day off, or running once every day with no break?

Thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be possible to change the way the individual count is presented when we log into the challenge? Right now is says something like "X runs, Y runs behind," which if you're running once a day, you're really not "behind" at this point. What about something like Day Y of the challenge, you have done X runs, more along the lines of a pace bunny number?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pretty easy to tell who is spreadsheet chasing when there are a ton of exactly 30 minute runs only, because there is no sane running program on the planet that recommends that. This is not optimal training. But hey, if it gets people out, that's OK....just remember to schedule recovery into the process.

Running program? Running program? The program I'm on for the 2 last weeks of December is to run 30 minutes every day. If I run outside, I'm likely to run a bit more than that because of timing "glitches" (e.g. i mis-estimate the speedup in the 2nd half of the run). Once I manage 16 runs targetted at 30 mins, then and only then will I start mixing it up with longer runs. My goal is to build slowly - given that 30min is the minimum time for a run to count, it stands to reason that building slowly is going to see a lot of exactly 30 min runs.

I still can't believe how much faster I was running outside around the southern tip of Manhattan last weekend than I am on the treadmill.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried 100/100 twice before and had to drop out (once very early, once when i fell way too far behind). my own recommendation would be to double up as much as you can when still doing easy, short runs so that you have the ability to "keep up" later in the challenge. all it takes is one round of flu or a serious cold, and you can lose 3-5 days right there. add in a work or family emergency once very 3 weeks that steals a day, and that's another 4 days gone. depending on your actual goal (100? 85? 75?), and your psychology (i'm a pessimistic defeatist), that can be pretty devastating to the motivation needed to keeping it going. so i'd recommended trying (but not too hard) to put runs in the bank when you can, and then relax whenever you need to skip a day later. but i wouldn't recommend planning to skip a day.

i've never managed anything remotely close to 100/100 so take my advice with an entire salt mine of the white stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The goal is to run 30 minutes a day for 100 days.

Unless you are training for a early race, getting the time in should be enough to start building a great base for next year.

My reason for joining was to motivate myself to get out of bed 40 minutes early and get my runs out of the way. Long stuff is reserved for the weekend. If you are training for an ultra, 30 to 50 minutes a day is ideal during the week, stupid long is required on the weekend.

For those of you at 90 miles already, I admire your commitment, I just don't have the time or the nice weather to keep up.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Would it be possible to change the way the individual count is presented when we log into the challenge? Right now is says something like "X runs, Y runs behind," which if you're running once a day, you're really not "behind" at this point. What about something like Day Y of the challenge, you have done X runs, more along the lines of a pace bunny number?

Agree. It would be easy to make it say "You are on track for 100 runs" or "You are # runs ahead (or behind) to make 100 runs"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got "tigerchik'd" today.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tip Of The Day:
While I never have been a big fan of treadmills, i do realize that circumstances sometimes make them unavoidable for some runner's. How can you get the maximum benefit out of treadmill that translates to real running results.
For starter's all treadmill running should be at 1% grade. This will equal what air resistance you would face outside on the road.
start with small intervalls at 1% and build to the whole run being no lower than 1%. You should see similar times per mile to outside when doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dawhead wrote:

Running program? Running program? The program I'm on for the 2 last weeks of December is to run 30 minutes every day. If I run outside, I'm likely to run a bit more than that because of timing "glitches" (e.g. i mis-estimate the speedup in the 2nd half of the run). Once I manage 16 runs targetted at 30 mins, then and only then will I start mixing it up with longer runs. My goal is to build slowly - given that 30min is the minimum time for a run to count, it stands to reason that building slowly is going to see a lot of exactly 30 min runs.

I still can't believe how much faster I was running outside around the southern tip of Manhattan last weekend than I am on the treadmill.

I don't normally run everyday, I run 3X a week because like most of us here, I swim & bike a lot too. But I am loving the 30min runs everyday. So, yes, by the end of this I will have a LOT of 30min runs- because that is the challenge. Amazingly simple. I'm not here to win this contest, I'm here to build a good base and give myself something motivating as there is no race anytime soon.

I too am much faster outside. My treadmill might be off, or the boredom of it all might just not make me push so hard, but my pace is much slower indoors (although outdoors is not fast with all this snow). At the time I run the only thing on tv is Dog the Bounty guy, maybe that's what killing it- my legs want to run in the other direction......

Quote | Reply
and for those of us on lifetime treadmills that don't display a percentage grade, i'll note that in my experience, a 2.0 setting seems to correspond to the "matches my road speed" level that scot was referring to. these treadmills have a grade from 0..10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been "forced" to do any runs on a treadmill yet...i'd pretty much rather run outside in whatever mother nature is throwing at me vs the mill! So far, so good here in the Pac NW - It hasn't been too bad. My .02 cents on the treadmill is to spot check vs footpod / distance device if available....i've found that many treadmills are off (some way off) vs. what they are spitting out on the display as current pace. Once i found the 1 or 2 "good" treadmills at my gym, i'd make sure to hit those for any indoor runs.

Hats off to alot of you guys hammering out there - i'm not worthy! Right now i'm working on getting my aerobic base pace down so all my runs are "aerobic" (or slow) but have seen some good pace improvements at my MPace HR minus 25-30bpm....hoping to keep chopping that down. Currently following the Pfitz 70mpw or less plan for an April marathon so good timing with the challenge

Keep it rolling!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My day job basically involves a bunch of datamining. I have a new software package to evaluate and used the challenge data as an example data set.

Not sure if this representation of the data in the main challenge spreadsheet is useful to anybody, but I had the charts done up thought I would post.

Last edited by: blwmhv: Dec 23, 10 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is a habit I developed from playing in your challenges year after year but I tend to do a lot of runs that are right around 30 minutes even where there is no spreadsheet to worry about. 4 miles has become the default minimum that I will run. When I do a brick run after a hard ride, a second run for the day or like this morning, a kill the hangover sufferfest the 4 miles comes out almost always between 29 and 31 minutes. I tend to think if them as "Dev Runs". Today I ran an extra 15 seconds so that the run would "count" :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

In pace or # of runs or both? :D

9.6 in 75:29, then lifted heavy things. The run was 4.5 easy then 5.1 in 38:24

Happy Festivus!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying on course but it is so hard to not chase the spreadsheet when I look at it and it say's I am # 170.
It is only a number
It is only a number
It is only a number
It is only a number
Please somebody change it to minutes per mile ranking. So I at lest feel a little better ;o)

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not bothering to look at the spreadsheet because otherwise I'll start "chasing" it. I rest assured that I'm kicking most of your a$$es anyway

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:

In pace or # of runs or both? :D

9.6 in 75:29, then lifted heavy things. The run was 4.5 easy then 5.1 in 38:24

Happy Festivus!

Position on the spreadsheet so...# of runs + total distance. You passed me yesterday and I won't catch you today because my afternoon/evening run will be 8-ish. Pace is no contest, I'm only doing easy runs during the base-building months.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all means nothing unless we know who the little circles are :o)

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blwmhv wrote:
My day job basically involves a bunch of datamining. I have a new software package to evaluate and used the challenge data as an example data set.

Not sure if this representation of the data in the main challenge spreadsheet is useful to anybody, but I had the charts done up thought I would post.

Great stuff. Quick question: What are you using to export the data from the challenge? Or, more accurately, how are you exporting the data from the challenge?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [ryankc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Good thing we don't need any stats on it; nonconstant variance could be an issue!

Quote Reply

Prev Next