Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got a ton of snow out there this morning and more to come all day. Looks like it's time to finally move my treadmill into winter position!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the local schools cancelled and my college has cancelled classes starting after 2 pm (I teach twice today and that cancels one of them).

Send the snow this way :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No run yesterday, as expected. I did get 35 minutes on the trainer before 1.5 hours of shoveling ice from my driveway. Ouch! My poor old back will never forgive me.

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tip of the day:
I am going to take the next few days focusing on some drills to help improve your running
Slow Skipping: Drive your right knee upward hard . allow the momentum generated by this momovement and take a small hop step forward with the foot. Lower right foot to the ground and immediately left knee upward taking a small step forward with right.. This increases stride stiffness and stride power.

High Knees: Run Forward at fast tempo but slow rate of forward progress with exaggerated knee lift concentrate on keepin your spine straight as you lift your thighs to a 90 degree angle to ground. Stay up on your toes when you make ground contact. Go forward about 30 meters. This drill increases dynamic flexibility in the hips and stride stiffness at the ankles.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In public?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

Jay

45 AG triathlete and terrible BMX racer, Tampa FL
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Jay G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Find a ball field and use the grass. This is good before hard efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.... fortunately I have a half acre back yard with 6 foot fence.

Jay

45 AG triathlete and terrible BMX racer, Tampa FL
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Jay G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chased inside to the treadmill by the weather this morning ( 3 degrees F wind chill with snow!)

JoeO- Are you doing those 12 mile runs on the treadmill?

And KBD- 56 runs..........sheesh...........
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must admit I feel better 33 runs into this than I thought I would. Bike is suffering a bit.

Greg Richards
Morgan Hill, Ca
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronMike wrote:
Chased inside to the treadmill by the weather this morning ( 3 degrees F wind chill with snow!)

JoeO- Are you doing those 12 mile runs on the treadmill?

I will be today. So far I've managed to stay outside except for track workouts but that's not happening in this storm. Just took me 3 hours to shovel my driveway and walk
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.35 run this morning and some core work, after 2 hrs. Of driveway shoveling and igloo making. Then took The kids sledding. Heart rate was abnormally up a bit. Probably from shoveling.Now to hop on the computrainer for a hour and an half. After fulfilling my husbandy duties like vacuuming , laundry and feeding the kids. And you guys think it is all fun and games :0)

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [grichards] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grichards wrote:
I must admit I feel better 33 runs into this than I thought I would. Bike is suffering a bit.

Bike? What bike? I'm waiting until I'm half-way through this before I try to figure out how to pedal again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds good. do them after warming-up? or at the end of a run? how many times a week?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [OldAndInTheWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When doing drills always warmup with light running and then do 1-2 sets of drills and strides- Then go to the main portion of the workout. These are good to do before your fast running. The drills and strides get the nervous system ready for running fast sets. I will get into more drills Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read that stretching is counter productive before a race, but may be of beneficial after a race. What are your thoughts on this. I have read (and do strides .) are better for performance before a race. My best times are when I have done strides before.

Quote | Reply
Bah. Got the treadmill into position and then realized I just plain feel like being lazy. Day off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
354 miles in the last 29 days. Lazy is the last word that comes to mind when I think of you.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am officially chasing the challenge! Short 30 minute run this evening to double up today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
IronMike wrote:

I wasn't that smart. 10 miles in 6 degrees F this am. I think I need to check into a pair of windproof underwear, the jewels were suffering a bit after this one!

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thought I'd chime in here,

tuesday morning: interval session
2 mile easy warm up, dynamic stretching
1200, 800, 400, 400, 400, 800, 400, 400,
cool down

tuesday afternoon:

8.5 mile long run with the boys, 55 mins 6x100m stride outs

wednesday
5mile, 30 minutes

great weather in los angeles at the moment for running. just coming off a great christmas/winter break of running
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [TheGermanTrojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So in the effort to keep the frequency up, i get myself out for the 30 minute runs - and sometimes it is just over 30 minutes.
so why do I feel bad for running 1 hour knowing i should be doing them split up by 60 minutes and claiming 2 runs! :-)

overall i've been pleased with my frequency and distances and feel good going into a series of early season half marathons, first one this sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [cjackso3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your half marathons.

Instead of doing 4 or 5 45-60 minute run, I've found myself doing less of those but more 30 minute easy runs. I hope it's helping
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
354 miles in the last 29 days. Lazy is the last word that comes to mind when I think of you.

Day 30, I've only run 20 times in 30 days. In this crowd, I feel like a complete slacker. My age group standing in Kona albeit not that good was actually better than where I stand on this challenge. I took 2 days away from running for some classic XC skiing, speed skating and roller riding. I can barely move from the speedskating. I don't know what it is, but everytime I do that sport, I'm sore in the lower back, groin, and quads. It's not like I'm out of shape!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18k this morning on a snow covered, bumpy, uneven, plowed logging road. Almost every step had to be "placed". Fun and different Ninja
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Ultrairongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sneaking up on you!

6 miles + 1250 yds + lifting (PT stuff) this AM.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next