Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge is the only reason I got my butt out of my nice warm bed this morning... Another 5.5 miles in the bank in support of my first shot at the American Zofingen next year.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I want in this challenge is to just stay ahead of Scot. That's all. :laugh:

This challenge couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm the worst runner I know... well, out of the people I know who run. My run during the 2010 season was, as expected, dismal. I have never in my life been a "runner." I literally started from no base at all in Oct. 09. 2010 was all about finishing tris. Towards the end it was more to go faster, but really staying injury free and finishing were the main goals. Goal accomplished. 2011 is still about staying injury free, but going faster. And I have the cross hairs focused in on my run. So I've been planning on running all winter for quite some time and this just fits into my schedule great. And the challenge definitely gives me an extra push to make sure I don't skip it. I have a technical trail half marathon that has me concerned on 1/30, and the Gasparilla half marathon on 2/27. All this in preparation for my first HIM at Disney on 5/15. So far it's all looking acceptably on track. I've doubled up a couple times so I can take Christmas off, and have a little bit of a buffer for when I feel like taking a day off.

Jay

45 AG triathlete and terrible BMX racer, Tampa FL
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Jay G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay:
That is funny. Remember this is training not the race. I have to preserve my very old legs for the season so have fun. I hope you improve this winter on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jay:
That is funny. Remember this is training not the race. I have to preserve my very old legs for the season so have fun. I hope you improve this winter on the run.

Considering that you can walk faster than I can run, this frequency thing is my only chance! :laugh: I do very much appreciate and pay attention to all the advice you've given me. I'm not racing right now... but the challenge thing is definitely more fun than not doing the challenge thing.

Jay

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are the points calculated?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How are the points calculated?

As near as I've been able to figure out it's 4 points per mile for running, and 1 point for 100 yards of swimming. I have not figured out how points for biking are calculated. Next time I log a bike training session (tonight) I'll have to look and figure it out. I looked in the FAQ's and tried to use the search function to find how points are calculated and the reasoning behind it, but I haven't been able to find anything. The search just returns too many results to wade though and the FAQ doesn't have it.

Jay

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott, yesterday I was XC skiing with my friend Frank Ferrari (who posts time to time in this forum). Frank is a 7x XC ski champion back in the day in the early 90's....unfortunately for him he was racing world cup at the height of the EPO era and he was too clean or too dumb to dope up. Anyway, Frank took ~10 years away from sports to start a company and a family and became a doughboy for a while and for the past 4 years has been hitting tris full throttle (has already qualified and done Kona). Anyway, while skiing, I asked Frank what his best events were and whether he was stronger at skating technique or classic.

His answer was revealing, "Dev, my best event was always TRAINING....I could train everyone into the ground....but they don't award Olympic medals or World Cup podiums for training performance." On the other hand, Frank loves training so much that he always is out there getting the training done. We joked that if you can consistently train and make it a priority, once thing that is sure, is that when you have a really really bad day, it actually is not "all that bad". Because you're used to performing consistently day in and day out, even when you feel like crap, the bottom end of your performance is never horrible. We joked about his 10:45 blowup this year at IMLP and my 10:55 at Kona with 2:20 second half marathon as examples of being able to at least salvage the day when nothing is going right.

Moral of the story....consistency raises the "floor of your performance" but to get to the top, of your performance curve, don't race in training, don't hammer every day, and schedule in recovery so you can regenerate.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The challenge is a good way to prep for AmZof. I'm also using it for that purpose.
Try to run steep hills.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Southern Californians have a tough decision to make when prepping for a run. Do I wear a hat or swim cap?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Jay G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay bike miles=1 point per mile. Run points 4 per mile swim 1 per hundred meters not yards i.e 1100 yards =10 points.
Not sure what kind of points x-country skiing gets per kilometer or mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on the consistency of training but you need to stay at it 50 miles per week for 2 month does you no good if you get hurt and miss the next 2 months. My thoughts are to ensure the consistency.We have seen it every year on this challenge some runners go from 20 miles per week to 50-70 miles per weeki by February only to be out for a good chunk of the season due to injury and waste everything they built.If people want to run more runs great but there are ways to do it safely and there are ways that increase injury risks. The object is to start this challenge and end this challenge healthy not how many runs you can squeeze in a week ,month or thechallenge.
Your original purpose of the challenge is to get the triathlete to run more than 3 days per week Long run, tempo, and speed which I never understood. 4 should be the minimum for most people and 5 is even mopre optimal. It gives your body chance to digest the work.

We want to pass on the love of this sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, 7 for 7. This is perfect timing starting 2 weeks after my marathon :) Now I just need to figure out how to get a long run in when running every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree with you on the consistency of training but you need to stay at it 50 miles per week for 2 month does you no good if you get hurt and miss the next 2 months. My thoughts are to ensure the consistency.

That's why, in running, I religiously take a "down" week (of low mileage) after every 3 to 5 "up" weeks (of high mileage). In the down week I'll drop mileage anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of the mileage in the up week. Even if I don't feel like I need it, I never go more than 5 weeks without backing off the run mileage. This is the time when most of the gains of those up weeks seems to be realized. And it does wonders for preventing injury.

I learned that lesson the hard way.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I agree with you on the consistency of training but you need to stay at it 50 miles per week for 2 month does you no good if you get hurt and miss the next 2 months. My thoughts are to ensure the consistency.

That's why, in running, I religiously take a "down" week (of low mileage) after every 3 to 5 "up" weeks (of high mileage). In the down week I'll drop mileage anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of the mileage in the up week. Even if I don't feel like I need it, I never go more than 5 weeks without backing off the run mileage. This is the time when most of the gains of those up weeks seems to be realized. And it does wonders for preventing injury.

I learned that lesson the hard way.
Yep...... the hard way:o)

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest way to get 2 consecutive down weeks in is to just have a race every so often....they you're forced to cut back into the race and forced to rest up coming out of the race :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 miles this AM + 40 min cycling.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is true..... but I do not know if I could afford all the entry fee's ;o)
Did 9.03 miles today in 1hr. followed by 1100 m in pool . Started out a little hard but 15 minutes into run everything loosened up and it was on from there I am holding back and still sticking to plan. It is good to have a plan ;o) Maybe if I can stay healthy and keep the the longer run paces lke this I might have a good race at the NJ Marathon (Long Branch Half version) this year.

Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
I would like to see an average pace column.

Thanks for putting this together - it's a great motivator.

This is not a race...

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tip of the day: Patience!
I see many new athletes try to rush the process thinking more is better. I caution to be careful and show some patience. Do not try to increase your mileage more than 10-15% higher than the week before. i also think you increase for 2 weeks and come back down to a bit and recover. Dev's one race a month builds that recovery into the program nicely. I am looking at spreadsheet and can see people who are chasing the spreadsheet. With this challenge as the other sport's challenges on this site there are obvious athletes who are experienced and handle higher training loads and then there are newcomer's who are excited by the challenge. If you have only run 3-4 per week then 8-10 per week is too aggressive for the first week. For new runner's add gradually and safely and then maintain frequency through season. Running is one sport where injury from overuse is a reality.Pay attention to each day. Just because the schedule says 10 miles does not mean you are recovered for 10 miles . The schedule needs adaption daily.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to bite the bullet and sign up for your little race Mr. Tetsuoni.

6.6 in 50:43 this AM

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a decent loop in the village of NP that hits most of the well lit hills.

One of these days I need to get over to Mohonk to see which of the nine circles of hell I signed myself up for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scot wrote:
Tip of the day: Patience!
I see many new athletes try to rush the process thinking more is better. I caution to be careful and show some patience. Do not try to increase your mileage more than 10-15% higher than the week before. i also think you increase for 2 weeks and come back down to a bit and recover. Dev's one race a month builds that recovery into the program nicely. I am looking at spreadsheet and can see people who are chasing the spreadsheet. With this challenge as the other sport's challenges on this site there are obvious athletes who are experienced and handle higher training loads and then there are newcomer's who are excited by the challenge. If you have only run 3-4 per week then 8-10 per week is too aggressive for the first week. For new runner's add gradually and safely and then maintain frequency through season. Running is one sport where injury from overuse is a reality.Pay attention to each day. Just because the schedule says 10 miles does not mean you are recovered for 10 miles . The schedule needs adaption daily.

I would like to know how you can look at the chart and tell who is chasing the spreadsheet? How do you know their training loads?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2010-Mar 24 2011: Rules, Motivation, Smacktalk, all in this thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you do. The entry fee goes up on January 1, 2011, so you should enter sooner rather than later.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're local, then you should certainly train on the course. Good luck!

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmm, thanks for the info.

Quote Reply

Prev Next