Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gianni Moscon
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, I had it right the first time. That was some beat down by QS.

Now we turn to your namesake hopefully having that kind of ride tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it will be Valverde of Julian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
My hesitation with Roglic is lack of classics experience. 200k would be one thing but getting well into bonus rounds tips in flavor of other guys, IMO.

good call

------

Terpstra was interviewed after the TTT. Played the corners on the descent for 100 times (not sure if he's exaggerating there)

devashish_paul wrote:
Hey guys, just looking at the course profile for the TTT on cyclingnews...is the climb the same as what they use in the road race? And why does the women's race not use the same climb?

for your first question, no, it's different from all three (Gnadenwald, Iglis, and that nasty kicker at the end of the men's road race)

for your second question, no idea
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 23, 18 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GvA seems like the bargain on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
QS has real firepower too.
QS, Sunweb, BMC

I want your crystal ball
What a year for the wolfpack
I think some riders were saving them selves for the ITT, Kung was dropped, Dennis looked tepid.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Eh, I had it right the first time. That was some beat down by QS.

Now we turn to your namesake hopefully having that kind of ride tomorrow.

You followed the wrong wheel. Sorry. I didn’t really scrutinize QS. They were perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:

I'm surprised valverde is rated that high, he faded badly in the pyranees.
My pick would be alaphillipe to win, yates and then woods.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
binhopires wrote:

Sports betting dynamics.
Valverde, being who he is, will always have more wager then somebody else. So price will drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised that Kung got dropped.

TTTs are a funny thing. Good ITTers do not necessarily make for a fast TTT team; the on/sort of off nature can favor punchy riders who can recover quickly and go again, versus the preferred steady state of a pure TTer. Not sure I’ve suffered as much as during the few that I’ve done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Ok kids, 5th and last post of ‘18 for the bike racing geeks.

TTT up first Sunday. Discuss.

What type of a bike racing geek are you if this is the last one? We still have Il Lombardia on 13 October, and the TdF 2019 route annoucement in late Oct and the Giro route announcement on deck!!!! More cycling topics to discuss after the world's!!!
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

What type of a bike racing geek are you if this is the last one? We still have Il Lombardia on 13 October, and the TdF 2019 route annoucement in late Oct and the Giro route announcement on deck!!!! More cycling topics to discuss after the world's!!!

I dunno...same reason there isn’t a discussion thread for every single triathlon with a pro field?
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I dunno...same reason there isn’t a discussion thread for every single triathlon with a pro field?

The Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey coming up. If you DNF you have to spend the night in prison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
binhopires wrote:

Valverde always fades in grand tours, Valverde also "always" (or as close as you can get in professional cycling) wins on courses like this one. He's been the best small man sprinter for a long time.

Of course, now there is that French guy to give him a run for his money.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [ITT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about Wednesday's ITT? I assume its hilly like the Team event, meaning it not Tom D as the fav?
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

What type of a bike racing geek are you if this is the last one? We still have Il Lombardia on 13 October, and the TdF 2019 route announcement in late Oct and the Giro route announcement on deck!!!! More cycling topics to discuss after the world's!!!

http://www.uci.org/cyclo-cross

A lot of these are going to be on Olympic Channel, too [I recorded yesterday's from Waterloo, and have Iowa queued up for next weekend]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aru is definitely not targeting that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the TdF route announcement is only slightly more boring than actual TdF itself. That said, and without any inside knowledge of said route, here are my predictions for '19 race:
  • On GC days Sky sets crushing tempo, rendering viewing exciting for last 10-12 minutes of stage
  • <Insert name> debuts as Team Sky domestique, destroys peloton. Sky's <Insert name> handily wins GC
  • Movistar sends entire team of GC contenders who fight amongst themselves about who has to fetch bottles, and 3rd spot on podium
  • Bauke Mollema gets into breakaways on every stage with a hill. On days it sticks, he manages podiums but is out-sprinted each time
  • Ritchie Porte gets sick, crashes or has bar tape unravel on technical descent, costing him shot at podium
  • Teyay van Quintana remains in search of his old self at new home, EF Education sponsored by Cannondale powered by Weiner Dog supported by Tom's Auto Body of Temecula, opts to ride Fondo schedule instead
  • Ever the showman, Sagan decides he need a greater challenge and rides Tour on new Specialized Sagan Collection Strider Bike, still wins green jersey
  • QS, America's team, wins 8 stages
  • Sepp Kuss gets TdF start, giving the Brits someone to talk to in english on tough climbs

Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 24, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
  • Ever the showman, Sagan decides he need a greater challenge and rides Tour on new Specialized Sagan Collection Strider Bike, still wins green jersey

Frustrated by Sagan's dominance of the points competition, UCI rules that his bikes - and his bikes alone - may only have one wheel, forcing him to do the entire tour riding a wheelie

He still wins the Green Jersey

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
  • <Insert name> debuts as Team Sky domestique, destroys peloton. Sky's <Insert name> handily wins GC

Comcast put in a $40B bid to buy SKY

That means they'll be too expensive, not offer enough, and never show up on schedule

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And the TdF route announcement is only slightly more boring than actual TdF itself. That said, and without any inside knowledge of said route, here are my predictions for '19 race:
  • On GC days Sky sets crushing tempo, rendering viewing exciting for last 10-12 minutes of stage
  • Movistar sends entire team of GC contenders who fight amongst themselves about who has to fetch bottles, and 3rd spot on podium
  • Bauke Mollema gets into breakaways on every stage with a hill. On days it sticks, he manages podiums but is out-sprinted each time
  • Ritchie Porte gets sick, crashes or has bar tape unravel on technical descent, costing him shot at podium
  • Teyay van Quintana remains in search of his old self at new home, EF Education sponsored by Cannondale powered by Weiner Dog supported by Tom's Auto Body of Temecula, opts to ride Fondo schedule instead
  • Sepp Kuss gets TdF start, giving the Brits someone to talk to in english on tough climbs

Dude...this was only supposed to be "Road Worlds Spoilers"...thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
what about Wednesday's ITT? I assume its hilly like the Team event, meaning it not Tom D as the fav?

Remember last year’s course? Had a brutish climb to the finish, and ge bossed it

Dumoulin is still the favorite

Carl Spackler wrote:

Golf clap. Well done
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:

Remember last year’s course? Had a brutish climb to the finish, and ge bossed it

Dumoulin is still the favorite

I actually think that the climb favors Dumoulin, and if anything, he would want the climb to be slightly more decisive than it is to push it even more in his favor. He's already a very good climber as it is...especially on the not so steep (less than 12%) and steady type hills. This one is around 4.5 km at 7%, which well within his wheel house. I think if it were 8-9% grade, it would be perfect for him to separate himself from Dennis. The hill as it is keeps Dennis in as one of the favorites.

The descent isn't that steep or technical, so I don't think you're going to see anyone go ape shit on the climb then use the descent to tuck and recover. It's going to be a pretty even distribution of power over 52 km, which means it's favors the TTers who are not overly heavy...aka Dumoulin and Dennis.

Maybe if the hill was 6 km at 10%, and the descent was steeper where it's more about tucking and descending skills, then the course would favor a lighter rider.
Last edited by: Jason N: Sep 24, 18 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, you knew all the Tour stuff other than Sagan's new Strider bike.

Spot-on about TT; exceptional TTers like TD can win on any course unless it's a pure climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's good stuff
Quote Reply

Prev Next