Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, Yee posted a bunch of photos on instagram 2 days ago, they included a video of him doing track. Also captioned "locked in and loving it"
Do did this injury happen yesterday?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one I think is I injured is Barclay Izzard
He hasn't raced at all this year. I wondered if with Barclay injured, GB gave up on getting three men to Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Hmm, Yee posted a bunch of photos on instagram 2 days ago, they included a video of him doing track. Also captioned "locked in and loving it"
Do did this injury happen yesterday?
Thrown up randomly (or I forget context) by the talkers on Fitter Radio podcast (NZ based coaches) from a 'reliable source'.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth he was consistently posting runs from their Gold Coast camp in his Strava up until February, but went silent since then until he posted last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The start list for Cagliari has updated and it looks like Zaferes is now on the start list instead of Jorgensen... I assume this is a USAT decision to sub out.

https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627960

sfjab wrote:
Historically, this race had gone up into the hills and was a challenging bike course but I believe this year’s course is a repeat of last year with beach laps.

This race will be a key selection event for GB Triathlon so that’s why you’re seeing all the GB Olympic contenders women on that start line, in contrast to athletes like Taylor-Brown and Coldwell skipping Yokohama.

I asked USAT why they selected Yokohama vs Cagliari as a selection race and its related to the beach start in Cagliari which doesn’t mimic the pontoon start in Paris.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The start list for Cagliari has updated and it looks like Zaferes is now on the start list instead of Jorgensen... I assume this is a USAT decision to sub out. //

Not sure why you would assume that, it makes no sense unless they have told Gwen she is already on the team..I think more likely is Gwen took herself off the list, and Katie was the late exchange for her..So what was that reason to take yourself off the list, sick, injured, other???
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point… I shouldn’t assume but I did also see a ProTriNews member make some comment about it being a political decision… hence my assumption.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a USAT decision to remove Gwen and sub in Katie. It’s disgusting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
The start list for Cagliari has updated and it looks like Zaferes is now on the start list instead of Jorgensen... I assume this is a USAT decision to sub out. https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627960
Kyle.glass wrote:
It was a USAT decision to remove Gwen and sub in Katie. It’s disgusting.
The USA's best team may include Zaferes and making sure she gets one full distance race to show how competitive she is is a very reasonable USAT choice decision. I really wonder why they didn't sub out Kaspar or indeed Rappaport for her (KZ). The chance of either being selected is close to zero, whereas GJ has a clear chance - perhaps they'll sub her back in for one of those after Yokohama (do not know whether that's procedurally possible).

The GB five are there in strength with breath held for GTB to show she's back up to medal challenger status and Waugh hoping to confirm her place. Germany too have all their weapons and the French are just going with their Olympic 3 (assumed). I wonder why Linn is not in there for Australia - why is Hoitink racing?

Jorgensen has Yokohama to show her mettle and 'where she's at' at WTCS level. Zaferes needs a similar chance, and sensibly USAT has arranged that she'll get it in Cagliari. USAT sensibly want to avoid the vagaries of WT Rankings scores cutting off their selection options: fine margins. GJ's eventual selection would be a hail mary (band of sisters in T2) option, with Spivey (if fit) locking down MTR Leg 2. If Zaferes, Olympic medallist, can show she is right up there, she is the better pick who, if Spivey or Knibb wobble, is also a great option for Leg 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Kyle.glass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
given that in the olympic ranking katie is ahead of gwen i think this is a rather fair move, to give both that chance to show where they are in 2024 at the level where it matters , wolrld series.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good analysis.

One slightly speculative thing I might add: teams like the U.S. will want to pick 3 quality female mixed team relay members, not 2 (and 3 males, for teams able to send 3 men). The chance that people will get sick after the individual event and that teams will be fielding alternates is quite high.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
given that in the olympic ranking katie is ahead of gwen i think this is a rather fair move, to give both that chance to show where they are in 2024 at the level where it matters , wolrld series.

KZ has a better Olympic ranking because she has received 4 substitutions on to WTCS start lines last year. Do you know how many GJ got? Zero. Gwen got on to start lists bc the wait list cleared and at that point you don’t even know if you’re gonna be racing until right before the race… some unequal treatment going on…
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Kyle.glass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but didn't GJ just wAlk away from the sport .
Assuming she can come back after a long absence and get preferential treatment is the "unfair" bit.
Besides she has gotten WTS starts, but has yet to do well in one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh nice. So Katie getting preferential treatment isn’t the same thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Yes, but didn't GJ just wAlk away from the sport .
Assuming she can come back after a long absence and get preferential treatment is the "unfair" bit.
Besides she has gotten WTS starts, but has yet to do well in one.

so rather than starting who could possibly be a factor in Paris let's keep in those that fight for 15th-20th place, with all due respect, this is BS.
I could understand subbing one between KK and Summer if they wanted a proper fight between Katie and Gwen, but please don't tell me that they're not the only 2 credible qualifiers for US on top of the Taylors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle.glass wrote:
pk wrote:

KZ has a better Olympic ranking because she has received 4 substitutions on to WTCS start lines last year. Do you know how many GJ got? Zero. Gwen got on to start lists bc the wait list cleared and at that point you don’t even know if you’re gonna be racing until right before the race… some unequal treatment going on…

Correct me but I think Katie has one more mace at top level than Gwen and Katie beat gwen convincingly both times they raced against each other at the top level and I think even you have to agree Katie has performed better at world series /test event level

Gwen has the chance to get her slot in Yokohama if she can improve on her 24 th place which was the highest place she got a world series last year.
And to be fair Gwen looked good in levin
Your outfit wanted Kate to be given a chance and now she has it ...
But I have to admit if it had been me I would have said last us finisher in Yokohama does not get a start in Cagliari.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
given that in the olympic ranking katie is ahead of gwen i think this is a rather fair move, to give both that chance to show where they are in 2024 at the level where it matters , wolrld series.//

This is really a tough one, and no doubt the DQ Katie got where she lost all her go ahead points over Gwen factored into this decision. But it is ruthless, so why not KK or Rapp for the sub out?? Problem is that both of them have a long shot too, and they have been there the entire season going way back, so I can see why they choose to leave them be. So I presume they are giving each a sort of last chance to make their cases for being selected, and it is clear that last spot is between those two. They just want to give the others their shot at the last AQ, and I think that is fair play under the circumstances.

I would like to know if this was indeed a full sub in, and Gwen wasn't having some sort of issue where she wasn't going to be 100% for this race? That would make it more palatable if she was off somewhat, otherwise it was a super tough call and I couldn't fault it going in either direction. A story to back up each, and both valid....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I would like to know if this was indeed a full sub in, and Gwen wasn't having some sort of issue where she wasn't going to be 100% for this race?

Did you see her latest video? She is fit and super lean; no indication of injury or being less than 100%. In fact, on the slowman race weight calculator*, I would say she is approaching intervention stage, so race weight. Not that she's ever been anything but lean, but man, looking really lean to me.

*Slowman: "the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight."
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya she looks good in that vid, and now that I think about it, my possible scenario makes no sense. If there were something wrong, she would not be racing Yoko. So looks like it is just a USAT selector taking a last look see at both of them, and this is really the only way to do it without taking out one of the other ladies that have put themselves in an "earned" spot to race...
Quote Reply

Prev Next