Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When was that again?

You’re a betting guy- make the odds. Send me the info DM.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 24, 23 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re trying to retort my point by using race results from 4 and 5 years ago? Lol seriously?

The guy just led a world class field into t2 and could only hold on for 6th place 2 months ago….but he made a 70.3 podium 5 years ago so that proves what?

Come on dude. Atleast come with a better take than that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You’re trying to retort my point by using race results from 4 and 5 years ago? Lol seriously?

The guy just led a world class field into t2 and could only hold on for 6th place 2 months ago….but he made a 70.3 podium 5 years ago so that proves what?

I mean, just as easily, you could say the guy finished 6th in the most competitive race of the year so far, with hardly any run fitness due to injuries. Quite impressive and shows his potential if healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably would have finished better if he didn’t decide to run the first few Ks sub 3:00 and instead just paced it properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

It is what people have been doing with Lionel for years and that is the point I am making.You want to be your usual dickhead along the way then so be it.

Brownlee won an Xterra Tri the week after the PTO event in May and the week after that was fighting for the podium in a UCI gravel race before a puncture put him out of contention.Like Frodeno,the guy is injury plagued and not dead. He has a few good results left in him. I'll take following Brownlees various recent athletic adventures over most pro triathletes any day.
Quote Reply
Re: [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a coach....what's the saying.....when an athlete shows you who they are....believe them. AB is a "broken" athlete now, there's no longer going to be this career win and walk off into the sunset. There's been too many start, pauses, start, pauses in his training now to get that. Especially with how races are raced now. If you aren't 100% on, your not even likely going to be top 5 anymore.

AB will forever be a hella badass triathlete whether he races again, misses out on podiums, anything. If you want to keep thinking on potential, fair play. I'm willing to go out on a limb and atleast say I can't see him ever getting a podium again in a world class field. Again lesser fields and such, just as Nick showcased with his results after PTO, is proving my point (thanks Nick). He's that good, yet when it counts in the world class fields, it wont be there (whether fitness or tactics). But again it doesn't even matter if he fails the rest of his career. His GOAT status is locked up already.

(and Nick- if you read the thread, you were the 1st to make a comment basically that ST is full of idiots, so if you want to play the "dickhead" card, atleast be willing to look at yourself as well....odd that you don't mind calling out comments, yet if it's thrown back at you, you call foul).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 24, 23 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Welcome to the weird world of Slowtwitch where coming second in a world championship is a mark of excellence for some and just not good enough for others. Don't worry, I am confused as well. :-)

Ha ha! That put a laugh into an otherwise dull morning - thanks!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I gave up on Bronwlee. I was hoping I was going to see some amazing performance by this guy, but he doesn't even show up to race. One race(Ibiza) he did, everyone passed him during the run. He should just retire. He maybe an Olympic gold medalist, no one matched him in the past, but he doesn't live up to the hype anymore. Not inspiring at all.

No need to raise your blood pressure.

"Everyone" ?... Just five guys, and likely the best five (no... sorry, Sanders nor Long are not in that list at the moment) mid distance athletes in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 years ago they made the movie on Prefontaine and his '72 Olympics race. A funny line was drawn up about his race and his specific race tactic during that '72 race. I believe he ran a 4:06 final mile after the 1st 2mi which was at a snails pace. Essentially Pre's tactics "made" the race, while others won the race. His coach said "what more could he have done". To me AB is kinda falling into that category. That his mere presence in the race is going to mean the S and B are going to be "hot". Adding a athlete of his ability to at times already a strong front group, puts a ton of more pressure on the race. So I think he's one of the best "race animators" in the sport. I think during his ITU days, he simply could do all that and still kick everyone's ass, all while calling them wankers during the race and in the post race interviews.

So to me AB is the type of athlete the race needs because you know he's going to bring it. I just don't think he can close the deal anymore. So in essence his tactics likely play as important of a role in determining the outcome than the winner's did.

And no he could miss out on a podium for the next 5 years and it not mess up his legacy. I think he's simply an athlete dealing with the fact that for 10+ years of his life, he could count on it at min on the 1 day of the year he needed it. I think he's now basically paying for that type of training and racing "abuse" he's put on his body.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 25, 23 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
When was that again?

You’re a betting guy- make the odds. Send me the info DM.

Let's do this!!!

£50 to the charity of choice for winner. (No idea what that is in dollars?)

My T and Cs

If Alistair retires through injury without racing a big race bets off!

Alistair WILL PODIUM at either an IM or 70.3 World championship or PTO before retirement (but he needs to be racing these races at least one a year)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day late and a dollar short my friend. Just send me your charity and I’ll make a donation in your honor,

Your response was just really odd, bringing up results from 4-5 years ago didn’t really disprove my point.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 3, 23 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the most insightful posts in this forum,
well, ever. He changes the race and suffers consequently. If he were a ghost, he’d probably win Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

It is what people have been doing with Lionel for years and that is the point I am making.You want to be your usual dickhead along the way then so be it.

Brownlee won an Xterra Tri the week after the PTO event in May and the week after that was fighting for the podium in a UCI gravel race before a puncture put him out of contention.Like Frodeno,the guy is injury plagued and not dead. He has a few good results left in him. I'll take following Brownlees various recent athletic adventures over most pro triathletes any day.

Exterra fields are incredibly weak.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just posted on his Instagram, he's had surgery to remove a bone spur from his ankle
Quote Reply
Re: [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprised. It's been a while.
Quote Reply
Re: [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Just posted on his Instagram, he's had surgery to remove a bone spur from his ankle

Saw that and no wonder he was having trouble running at Ibiza. I was so sure he was going to win since he has some amazing run. Hopefully, I can witness him winning some big race in the future as I haven't yet to witnessed his true form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems Ali has one of these 'this will sort out all my injury problems out' operations, every couple of years now.

Will probably mean he'll be fit again for next year, might get a couple of great races out of him till he injures himself again.
Last edited by: Jackets: Aug 10, 23 1:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leading a 3 day gravel race at the moment (forget the location)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Leading a 3 day gravel race at the moment (forget the location)

Raiders Gravel, Scotland.
Quote Reply
Re: [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’ll end up doing Cozumel or Israel and posting a world class time and I’ll believe the hype and he’ll get to Kona and then pull out the morning of…come on Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He went and won it.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
He went and won it.

Given who he beat both here and at last years gravel nationals, he could make a good case to be in the GB team for the UCI gravel world champs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing Challenge Barcelona in a couple of weeks
Quote Reply
Re: [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:

On 8 Oct, it looks like 1.5K/60K/15K, which is an unusual combo of distances.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:

Anyone else decent on the start list? Had no idea he was anywhere close to racing fitness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next