Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: doubts about Alistair [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Jackets wrote:
He has two second places at 70.3 World's (its debatable whether he was even at 100% for them races)

That's not bad for someone who doesn't deserve to be mentioned with your Frodos etc!

His 2nd place at the 70.3 worlds in South Africa was after a long injury lay off with very little running. He's as good as Frodeno and will win Kona if he can stay injury free. And he's still relatively young at 33, a similar age to Mark Allen and Frodeno when they both first won Kona. And 2021 he hardly ran, doing random things like gravel races. Oceanside he was only 55s off the winners time and had the 2nd fastest bike and swim splits. He may never win Kona, but that will be down to injuries not lack of talent, determination or motivation.

55s back with a mean chest cold. He’ll be in the mix in StG. He swims too well to not be a factor.
Last edited by: Matt J: Apr 20, 22 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a pity, sounds like with the planned Flagstaff altitude camp he wouldve been a weapon at St George
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Its a pity, sounds like with the planned Flagstaff altitude camp he wouldve been a weapon at St George
What's "a pity"? What do you imply by "planned"? Where do you think he's sharpening that "weapon", then, Leeds? With this preparation and fit in mind, body and gut, Brownlee will (not "wouldve"(sic)) be a weapon. But without Frodeno as a fellow traveller to T2, he will have some difficult choices to make.
As for 'lack of consistency' at LD and 70.3, suggested by another poster: yeravvin' a larf.
Wins at 2 of 3 longs, and a risk-all attempt to be up there at Kona 19 which blew up.
Wins or 2nds at every 70.3 race before 2020, with silvers at South Africa (18) and Nice (19) behind Frodeno and Iden respectively. "Inconsistent"?!
First race back (designed as warm up for May) comes a good 4th at Oceanside. Would've been great if he could've sustained the pace set for the final 3 miles: but couldn't (or didn't wish to).
https://protriathletes.org/...te/alistair-brownlee
Where is the (also ill-founded) "Doubts about Blummenfelt" thread after his inability to ride close to required speed at Dubai, plus inability to fit tyres that hold air for 70.3s.
"Doubts about Iden"? He has not raced since September! No doubts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

The article states he is racing and ready for St. George.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it not reported that after Oceanside he went back to Yorkshire instead of going to flagstaff for another altitude block before Saint George?

Definately rooting for anyone that can see racing and working from the canon. Pity front swimmers Frodo, OT, Amburger and even Lange wont be there. Its up to Beakkegard and Brownlee
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Apr 21, 22 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Was it not reported that after Oceanside he went back to Yorkshire instead of going to flagstaff for another altitude block before Saint George?

Definately rooting for anyone that can see racing and working from the canon. Pity front swimmers Frodo, OT, Amburger and even Lange wont be there. Its up to Beakkegard and Brownlee

I think the last time Lange tried to race in the Frodo pack he over swam and was done by Hawi (2019). Illness could have been part of it, but I would not classify him as being in the group with Amberger, Frodo and Brownlee in the swim. In a post race interview Frodo said he was happy that Lange swam with them as this would take the sharpness out of his legs for the rest of the race (which as it turned out he did not finish).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

No, some dude on Slowtwitch said he'd gone back to Yorkshire based on a video posted on his Insta which had clearly been recorded before Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he is in Flagstaff with Holly Lawrence and Ruth Astle....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was debunked as an old video for his new bike. The color of the trees was mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very simple. Show us and deliver what he can do. Some athletes deliver constant wins several times in a row, some doesn't win all the time, but get on podium all the time. Some athletes go through ups and downs and are not consistent. Where does he belong to? We will see.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you seriously questioning the history of performances by Ali Brownlee??? You new to this sport?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Are you seriously questioning the history of performances by Ali Brownlee??? You new to this sport?

My bad. I was talking about his recent performance. Championship at Kona, Oceanside, Challenge Daytona...etc. I know he's an incredible athlete, but haven't seen him winning or getting on the podium recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

McElroy’s IG stories today show AB in Flagstaff

https://instagram.com/...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Apr 21, 22 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right...also there is the matter of his questionable durability over the longer distance triathlons. No doubt he has been one of the best shorter course triathletes, but as of yet he is at best hit and miss at proving his durability over the longer distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
It's very simple. Show us and deliver what he can do. Some athletes deliver constant wins several times in a row, some doesn't win all the time, but get on podium all the time. Some athletes go through ups and downs and are not consistent. Where does he belong to? We will see.

Bet against a healthy and fit Alistair Brownlee at your own peril.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
s13tx wrote:

On one hand I agree, but on the other hand this is also true of Frodo, Lange, Iden, and KB just to name a few. Being healthy and fit at the right time is all part of the game and so far at long course and even at recent halfs, he hasn't lived up to the promise many think he has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you only count the bad races in the last 4 years no st.geroge 2017, 70.3 worlds 2018, 2019, his two ironman's he both won pretty easily. Just look at the bad days....

if we do that for anyone can look pretty bad. Jan 2017 kona, 2018 kona missed.

Jan wasn't first at 70.3 worlds or kona on his first attempts either.

time will tell....

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
So you only count the bad races in the last 4 years no st.geroge 2017, 70.3 worlds 2018, 2019, his two ironman's he both won pretty easily. Just look at the bad days....

if we do that for anyone can look pretty bad. Jan 2017 kona, 2018 kona missed.

Jan wasn't first at 70.3 worlds or kona on his first attempts either.

time will tell....

Even though he's still good, there are so many young guys improving fast like Sam Long, Blu, Iden. I still have doubts about him until he smashes the field and proves that he's not done yet.
Just like you said let's tune in and see!!
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
s13tx wrote:

I'd never bet against a fit and healthy Alistair, I just wonder if we'll ever have that privilege of seeing him again.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope wont get anyone anywhere. Joe Skipper is probably impressed with AB numbers but who wouldnt be? Point is something prevented Alistair from winning Oceanside. And of course I don't know either. However my feeling is that he just didnt seem to push, which to me would indicate just wanting to be at the front again, hang on for as long as comfortable and use the race as a test in his build to SG. So I think he is peaking towards SG.
Interesting is that the athletes have done almost all their volume and hard sessions. Now its just hangin on, avoiding injuries, no covid and believing in yourself.
Im really looking forward to the race, but expectations have always gotten me in trouble and led to disappointment! There will inevitably be a few more pros that fail to get to the start for various reasons. Fingers crossed for LS and AB.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownlee was ill before Oceanside, as has been quite widely reported
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearup wrote:
Hope wont get anyone anywhere. Joe Skipper is probably impressed with AB numbers but who wouldnt be? Point is something prevented Alistair from winning Oceanside. And of course I don't know either. However my feeling is that he just didnt seem to push, which to me would indicate just wanting to be at the front again, hang on for as long as comfortable and use the race as a test in his build to SG. So I think he is peaking towards SG.
Interesting is that the athletes have done almost all their volume and hard sessions. Now its just hangin on, avoiding injuries, no covid and believing in yourself.
Im really looking forward to the race, but expectations have always gotten me in trouble and led to disappointment! There will inevitably be a few more pros that fail to get to the start for various reasons. Fingers crossed for LS and AB.

If anyone has ever raced when sick you will know when it hits you during a race it hits you bad! AB was sick as noted
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting with Gomez out, he was another who could potentially have split the swim with Brownlee. Playing into the hands of the Norwegians, Lionel Sanders etc more and more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next