Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
Shoes wrote:
Please don't tell me he is out for Hamburg?! 😳

He is indeed out for Hamburg.

He is just keeps hurting his legacy. If his body can't keep up then he should just retire. He is always a frontrunner and a threat, when healthy. But he is always hurt!!! No doubt he is the best short course athlete ever. But if he delays his retirement all he will be known for is the fragile dude that couldn't show up...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
ADabs wrote:
Shoes wrote:
Please don't tell me he is out for Hamburg?! 😳

He is indeed out for Hamburg.

He is just keeps hurting his legacy. If his body can't keep up then he should just retire. He is always a frontrunner and a threat, when healthy. But he is always hurt!!! No doubt he is the best short course athlete ever. But if he delays his retirement all he will be known for is the fragile dude that couldn't show up...

He didn't say he is injured, he said he isn't fit enough yet. Probably the PTO race took longer for him to recover so his build up to Hamburg didn't happen as planned.

There are rumors he is aiming fo Ironman Austria on 6/18 but he hasn't confirmed that himself.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen some of his old videos destroying the field, but never witnessed doing the same thing lately. He’s always hurt, injured, not fit enough or sick. Feel sorry for this guy.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen his house, I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him!
He seems to really enjoy the training still so why stop, even if he only gets a couple of races per year done, he still earns a living.
Quote Reply
Re: [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Ironman. He’s never winning Kona. So what’s the point. He has no business doing fulls, but could be a contender at the 1/2 or PTO race. If a 100k race drained him that much, no chance he could be ready for Nice anyway.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lankysprinter wrote:
I’ve seen his house, I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him!
He seems to really enjoy the training still so why stop, even if he only gets a couple of races per year done, he still earns a living.

I'm talking about getting injured all the time and races not going as he planned. Even average age groupers don't feel well when things don't go haywire. He's a professional!
Quote Reply
Re: [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Why Ironman. He’s never winning Kona. So what’s the point. He has no business doing fulls, but could be a contender at the 1/2 or PTO race. If a 100k race drained him that much, no chance he could be ready for Nice anyway.

When he started running at PTO European Tour, my eyes were glued to the screen. I was like today is the day finally I witness Brownlee's dominance in this stacked field and got really excited. Well, you know what happened after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I guess people have high standards these days when someone who has done a 7:45 and a 7:38 in Ironman races has no business doing those races(who does then? Only Jan, Gustav and Kristian?). The 7:38 was as recent as last summer without a long build up. If he still likes the sport and sees the longer distances as a challenge to get right, I completely understand why he keeps at it.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Jun 2, 23 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
By your standards the Ironman World Champs field should have maybe 4 guys racing. All those guys doing Ironman's around the world who will never win Kona clearly have no business lining up for any Ironman race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

Exactly, I think it's pretty well proven his body can't keep up with the training and effort required to win an IM WC. Then why not focus on something else in the sport or stick to 70.3's if he really wants to keep racing?! He is just damaging his image and legacy by all these no-shows. Frodo and Sebi did it right by knowing when to ride off into the sunset.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Frodo and Sebi did it right by knowing when to ride off into the sunset.

They are both racing professionally...................

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

They have both announced this is their last season. They are going out in their own terms, which is what Ali should do.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

They have both announced this is their last season. They are going out in their own terms, which is what Ali should do.

In the last 3 years, Frodeno and Kienle have literally been among the most injury-prone pro triathletes on the planet.

Frodeno’s problems are extremely well publicized. As a Kienle fan, I can attest his Achilles has been 100% maybe over 4 months in the last 4 years. Frodeno barely races anymore and the last time Kienle was on the podium of a major event was Kona 2019.

You have picked very poor counterexamples.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jun 2, 23 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Ali is doing things on his own terms or do you think somebody is forcing him to make the decisions he is currently making?
Quote Reply
Re: [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

In the last 3 years, Frodeno and Kienle have literally been among the most injury-prone pro triathletes on the planet.

Frodeno’s problems are extremely well publicized. As a Kienle fan, I can attest his Achilles has been 100% maybe over 4 months in the last 4 years. Frodeno barely races anymore and the last time Kienle was on the podium of a major event was Kona 2019.

You have picked very poor counterexamples.

You're making my point for me! Those two athletes are in the situation Ali finds himself in and they made the right decision. Frodo especially is the most comparable to Ali. Why water down your legacy with continual lesser performances and no-shows. Guys, I think Ali is incredible, a hall of famer in every sense of the world and the best short course triathlete ever. But he should definitely step away from Ironman competitions...

Now, I would love him to prove me wrong and somehow win Nice in September but I wouldn't put money on that.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hes got two great races a year in him before his body fails him, he needs to time this for the two big races, its actually very encouraging that he's got this far into the year without being injured!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7:38 at ironman Kalmar in August last year!
Of course he is no good at Ironman
Sorry but to say he should quit is silly. Yes, he does have injury problems, but in between he is more than capable of doing a very fast and competitive ironman.
Two weeks before the ironman last year he did a very fast 70.3 too.
By your standards Frodeno should have quit several years ago and mor left it to this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He seems to pace these longer distance races like the Olympic distance. I'm curious if he would have better results in long course if his pacing was more in line with his fitness and the distance he has to cover. Seems like he's always blowing up on the run because he over-bikes and flies out of T2 like he's got 10k to run.
Quote Reply
Re: [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
7:38 at ironman Kalmar in August last year!
Of course he is no good at Ironman
Sorry but to say he should quit is silly. Yes, he does have injury problems, but in between he is more than capable of doing a very fast and competitive ironman.
Two weeks before the ironman last year he did a very fast 70.3 too.
By your standards Frodeno should have quit several years ago and mor left it to this year!

If I had to bet on it, I wouldn't bet that Ali wins the IM World title. But to suggest he simply should hang it up at point? No way. While he has had trouble sustaining health, he is still showing world class fitness once or twice per year.

Just my opinion but I think he should plan on racing well twice per year. All this PTO stuff. Nah. Qualify for the world championship in the spring and show up for the world championship.
Quote Reply
Re: [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure he overbikes, on the PTO a few KM in he surged and was running a lot faster than everyone else, then started to go backwards (this is what it seemed anyway, but the Ibiza coverage was terrible)

Seems to be writing cheques his body can't cash anymore, those first couple of miles on the run (maybe with more run fitness it will)

I'd like to see what would happen if he didn't try and drop everyone, maybe wait for one of the Norwegians and run with them.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't know if it's over-biking or just going out too fast. But he seems to have a lot of recent history of just fading big time on the back half of the run. At least in my mind he does. To me it suggests poor pacing or overestimating his run fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Yeah I don't know if it's over-biking or just going out too fast. But he seems to have a lot of recent history of just fading big time on the back half of the run. At least in my mind he does. To me it suggests poor pacing or overestimating his run fitness.

i do often wish that he'd just try 'sitting in' rather than pushing off the front. he's ali effin' brownlee, he has to know his finishing kick is solid. just patiently follow the leader all day long, and then drop the hammer the last quarter mile.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

For those with amnesia, he was injured plenty in the years between winning gold in 2012 and... err... winning gold in 2016.
FFS have a word with yourself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next