Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Durham Investigation [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
TMI wrote:
BLeP wrote:
You got such a boner over this, and now?

I started the thread, but I don't think I made even a single prediction. Maybe this post will help.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7771678#p7771678

I can take a joke, but I thought you could, too. No hard feelings? (pun intended)

I am not upset. Didn’t have much of a comeback for that.

Claim victory.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barr Pressed Durham to Find Flaws in the Russia Investigation. It Didn’t Go Well.
The review by John Durham at one point veered into a criminal investigation related to Donald Trump himself, even as it failed to find wrongdoing in the origins of the Russia inquiry.

Barr Pressed Durham to Find Flaws in the Trump Russia Investigation - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Quote:
Interviews by The Times with more than a dozen current and former officials have revealed an array of previously unreported episodes that show how the Durham inquiry became roiled by internal dissent and ethical disputes as it went unsuccessfully down one path after another even as Mr. Trump and Mr. Barr promoted a misleading narrative of its progress.

• Mr. Barr and Mr. Durham never disclosed that their inquiry expanded in the fall of 2019, based on a tip from Italian officials, to include a criminal investigation into suspicious financial dealings related to Mr. Trump. The specifics of the tip and how they handled the investigation remain unclear, but Mr. Durham brought no charges over it.

• Mr. Durham used Russian intelligence memos — suspected by other U.S. officials of containing disinformation — to gain access to emails of an aide to George Soros, the financier and philanthropist who is a favorite target of the American right and Russian state media. Mr. Durham used grand jury powers to keep pursuing the emails even after a judge twice rejected his request for access to them. The emails yielded no evidence that Mr. Durham has cited in any case he pursued.

• There were deeper internal fractures on the Durham team than previously known. The publicly unexplained resignation in 2020 of his No. 2 and longtime aide, Nora R. Dannehy, was the culmination of a series of disputes between them over prosecutorial ethics. A year later, two more prosecutors strongly objected to plans to indict a lawyer with ties to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign based on evidence they warned was too flimsy, and one left the team in protest of Mr. Durham’s decision to proceed anyway. (A jury swiftly acquitted the lawyer.)

Basically Durham was doing exactly what Trump was accusing the FBI of doing with the Steel dossier.

Funny how the folks that were giddy about the prospects of "Durham Day" are silent about this massive waste of money
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gift link for the unsubscribed:

https://www.nytimes.com/...A&smid=share-url

It's unbeleivable.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:

It's unbeleivable.

It is really disgusting. The part about Durham pressured IG Horowitz to change his finding that the Russia investigation had been opened properly is just nuts.

The people that said Barr is a partisan hack have been proven right.......again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Bretom wrote:

It's unbeleivable.

It is really disgusting. The part about Durham pressured IG Horowitz to change his finding that the Russia investigation had been opened properly is just nuts.

The people that said Barr is a partisan hack have been proven right.......again.

And choosing not to correct the public's understanding that Durham was closing in on criminal charges against [the FBI / deep-state boogeyman of your choice] when in fact he was (presumably reluctantly) having to look at yet another instance of likely criminal wrongdoing by TFG.

Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Fox News has had this as their top headline all week. Multiple headlines every day about how scandalous this is and how the main stream media refuses to cover it.

Today, nothing. Of the 30 or so headlines that make the front page of Foxnews.com, I'm not seeing any mention of the story. It's a complex story that I haven't taken a bunch of time to dig into, but I'm going to take this as a sign that there is no there, there.

It may not matter, their mission is already accomplished. The base will believe that Hillary was spying on the Trump campaign and I doubt anything will change their mind.

Don't image this will make it to Foxnews either...

"In 2019, then-Attorney General Bill Barr sought to look into the origins of the Trump-Russia investigation in hopes of proving it was a "witch hunt," but his efforts took an unexpected turn, The New York Times reported on Thursday. Instead, a tip from Italian officials led the Justice Department to quietly open a probe into shady financial deals linked to then-President Donald Trump".

"https://news.yahoo.com/...-name-210419558.html"
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The insane thing that is important here is that Barr and Durham essentially did exactly what they hinted Mueller/the FBI might have done, relying on dubiously sourced intelligence as an excuse to go on a fishing expedition. The whole Durham “investigation” was doing the exact wrong doing they were supposed to be “investigating”!

Barr was some an evil and dangerous person.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
The insane thing that is important here is that Barr and Durham essentially did exactly what they hinted Mueller/the FBI might have done, relying on dubiously sourced intelligence as an excuse to go on a fishing expedition. The whole Durham “investigation” was doing the exact wrong doing they were supposed to be “investigating”!

If you listen to a malignant narcissist and what they accuse you of, they will tell you exactly what they are doing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

I don't know the law, but it certainly seems like Barr would have some legal issues here. It's a shame the House will be too busy investigating Hunter and Fauci to take a look at this.

It's scary to think he became one of the voices of reason after Jan 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
chaparral wrote:

I don't know the law, but it certainly seems like Barr would have some legal issues here. It's a shame the House will be too busy investigating Hunter and Fauci to take a look at this.

It's scary to think he became one of the voices of reason after Jan 6.

I doubt he has any real legal issues here. Unfortunately laws are written by lawyers and judges that make other policies are also lawyers, so the system is set up to protect lawyers. The bar to prosecute a prosecutor is insanely high.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
Instead, a tip from Italian officials led the Justice Department to quietly open a probe into shady financial deals linked to then-President Donald Trump".

It'd be interesting to eventually learn more about that. Because I wouldn't fully trust Barr/Durham to run that one properly to ground.

But yet another example of a Special Counsel investigation taking a fork in the road. Like Starr being appointed to investigate real-estate transactions, then deciding to investigate blow jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
... Like Starr being appointed to investigate real-estate transactions, then deciding to investigate blow jobs.

Can't say I necessarily blame Starr for that; one of these is more titillating than the other. </p>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trumps campaign manager was in constant contact with Russian intelligence throughout the campaign. He shared with them swing state micro targeting data……Hillary made him do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a little misleading - it implies that there was a plan and that Obama and Biden were enlisted into it. The complaint in the report is that Obama and Biden might have been told Clinton was trying to link Trump to Russia and that that idea, that “might have” received less scrutiny than the idea that Trump “might have” colluded with Russia. That contrived contrast is one of the bases for Durham’s long telegraphed conclusion that the FBI was unfair and biased.

That collusion by Trump was unprovable had pretty much been accepted for a long time. And in investigating the king and missing the FBI have proved the adage and had to eat it.

But as best I can tell so far, this is the longest and most expensive opinion piece in history. With one suspended law license and 10bn tweets all anyone has to show for it.

Whimper indeed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What exactly is the problem here? What exactly was wrong with briefing Obama and Biden?
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
That's a little misleading - it implies that there was a plan and that Obama and Biden were enlisted into it. The complaint in the report is that Obama and Biden might have been told Clinton was trying to link Trump to Russia and that that idea, that “might have” received less scrutiny than the idea that Trump “might have” colluded with Russia. That contrived contrast is one of the bases for Durham’s long telegraphed conclusion that the FBI was unfair and biased.

That collusion by Trump was unprovable had pretty much been accepted for a long time. And in investigating the king and missing the FBI have proved the adage and had to eat it.

But as best I can tell so far, this is the longest and most expensive opinion piece in history. With one suspended law license and 10bn tweets all anyone has to show for it.

Whimper indeed.

I am beginning to think Durham's investigation of CIA torture under Bush may not have been on the level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

did you even read the first sentence of that Daily Mail Article? It's on MSN, but it comes from the Daily Fail.

"Russian intelligence analysis suggesting that 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had personally approved a plan to 'vilify' her opponent Donald Trump by claiming foreign interference in the election was briefed to President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, according to the Durham report."

Yes, the evidence that this is all Hillary comes from the very trustworthy Russians - and they just "suggested" it.

additionally - "Hillary's plan" in the headline suddenly becomes " the 'alleged approval by Hillary Clinton" in the article.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget the Russians. Testimony under oath from Mook is a better source for the story.

https://www.politico.com/...info-to-fbi-00034115

“Going to the FBI does not seem like a very effective way to get that information out to the public. We do that through the media,” he said.

Mook said that after discussions at the highest levels of the campaign, they decided to do just that. He also said that somewhere around that time he informed Clinton personally and she concurred.

“I discussed it with Hillary as well,” Mook said. “She agreed to that. ... She thought we made the right decision.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/...tigation-robby-mook/
Clinton was briefed about the decision to go to the press with the allegations in the fall of 2016, and according to Mook, "she thought we made the right decision."

https://www.cnn.com/...-mook-fbi/index.html

----------
The quote "personally approved" seems to be after the fact, not necessarily that Hillary came up with the plan to route the story to the media instead of the FBI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
Forget the Russians. Testimony under oath from Mook is a better source for the story.

“Going to the FBI does not seem like a very effective way to get that information out to the public. We do that through the media,” he said.

Mook said that after discussions at the highest levels of the campaign, they decided to do just that. He also said that somewhere around that time he informed Clinton personally and she concurred.

“I discussed it with Hillary as well,” Mook said. “She agreed to that. ... She thought we made the right decision.”

Clinton was briefed about the decision to go to the press with the allegations in the fall of 2016, and according to Mook, "she thought we made the right decision."

----------
The quote "personally approved" seems to be after the fact, not necessarily that Hillary came up with the plan to route the story to the media instead of the FBI.

I am failing to see the problem here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:

----------

Isn’t that pretty much the opposite of the supposed scandal? That is, rather than try to get Obama to use the FBI against Trump, Hillary preferred going directly to the public.
Quote Reply
Re: Durham Investigation [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
TMI wrote:

----------

Isn’t that pretty much the opposite of the supposed scandal? That is, rather than try to get Obama to use the FBI against Trump, Hillary preferred going directly to the public.

Well, once the story had gone public via the media, what choice did the FBI have but to investigate? Of course, I am assuming that Mook is telling the truth in this matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durham burned four years and $6.5M taxpayer dollars......and he burned his reputation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Durham burned four years and $6.5M taxpayer dollars......and he burned his reputation.

#ETTD

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next