Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing the swim leg in a relay at 70.3 Bahrain. Team to be confirmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been posting a lot of running on social media with little bro!

On the start list for 70.3 S.Africa, March 5th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Doing the swim leg in a relay at 70.3 Bahrain. Team to be confirmed.

Did this happen?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Alistair its a delicate edge to get 100% to the start these days. as with other top pros such as SK and even LS it would be wonderful to see them all have that magic race.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I actually thought this year would have been AB's best chance at Kona. Because JF will not be there and AB has both Kona experience & a front pack swim, I had come to terms with a Brownlee victory this year.

Kind of sucks that now the two athletes with arguably the best case for GOAT status will not be racing...
Gearup wrote:
With Alistair its a delicate edge to get 100% to the start these days. as with other top pros such as SK and even LS it would be wonderful to see them all have that magic race.
Well Keinle had a great race at Kona last October, well above his and others expectations. He had his 'magic' race in 2014 and backed that up in 2019.
Brownlee raced superbly in Sweden and, as I understand, was fine on PTO Edmonton's start line, till struck by a 'never-before' stomach/stitch after T2. His race was better than at Busselton in Dec 2019.
Sanders raced his magic, controlled race at St George in May: we'll not see that again at long distance.

I suggest we would all like to see Brownlee toe the line at a top tier long distance race with an expected high SOF, and race to his undoubted potential. Just worth remembering he is still an espoir in long distance racing, with his debut Kona the only time he has had anyone near after T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is doing the full I believe
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
He is doing the full I believe

Yes, he's doing the full distance race, to try to qualify for the World Champs in Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He came out on one of the podcasts I was listening to that Nice should suit him a lot better than Kona and he want to race there. I am crossing my fingers he gets there lean mean and keen. I also heard that Gomez was preparing for an assault on the Nice race as well. If that is true it will be awesome to see these 2 on a start line together again.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
He came out on one of the podcasts I was listening to that Nice should suit him a lot better than Kona and he want to race there. I am crossing my fingers he gets there lean mean and keen. I also heard that Gomez was preparing for an assault on the Nice race as well. If that is true it will be awesome to see these 2 on a start line together again.

Unfortunately Nice (70.3) also seemed to suit a certain Gustav Iden. And Blum to that list and it could be one of the most incredible races. Should be less drafting possible than Kona for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Red Baron wrote:
Unfortunately Nice (70.3) also seemed to suit a certain Gustav Iden. And Blum to that list and it could be one of the most incredible races. Should be less drafting possible than Kona for sure!
I appreciate they said "never say never" but racing a full 8 hours in Nice on 10 Sep is not compatible with a sensible performance at Pontevedra on 23 Sep if the Bergen Boys are even semi-serious about Paris 2024. One assumes they'll try to race Milwaukee, Paris test and Lahti in August. Before that they could race PTO Tour Europe (rather than Japan) and in November finish with the Collins Cup.
Brownlee has no such complications: he just needs to NQ in Port Elizabeth and then can race all or two of the PTO Tour races (if he wants) before Nice.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cop_fyEg-re/
2023 World Triathlon Championship Series:
3-4 March – Abu Dhabi, UAE (Sprint)
13 May - Yokohama, JPN (Standard)
27-28 May – Cagliari, ITA (Standard)
24-25 June – Montreal, CAN (Sprint)
13-16 July - Hamburg, GER (Super-sprint)
29-30 July - Sunderland, GBR (Sprint)
22-24 September - Pontevedra, ESP (Standard)
plus

Paris 2024 Test Event:
17-20 August – Paris, FRA
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming they are good with points and such - is there anything that a slightly lower than expected finish at the Grand Final would do to make them unable to compete in Paris? I think that if they are finding that they are transitioning back to short course well, it might well be worth it to them in terms of financially as well as from a personal satisfaction aspect if they are fully confident that they will be good to go in Paris.

The Norwegian boys aren't like everyone else haha. And I know they are - but honestly they don't have to be "all in" in a race 10 months out from the Olympics to do well at the Olympics. The people we expect every year a year out hardly ever work out anyways (except Alistair haha)

Just my 2 cents

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pulled out of IM SA

Discuss?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He needs a coach that is going to hold him back a little. This poor lad is injured at every turn. This is his first race of the season and already he has a sore hip, he’s never going to make it to Nice.
Last edited by: illtakeone: Mar 3, 23 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [illtakeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I find hilarious, as much as I love Ali as a fellow Brit, is that far from realizing he needs a coach he has actually meanwhile launched his own coaching company, Brownlee Fitness. He was only very recently promoting in various online interviews his philosophy of no shortcuts and big volume even for age groupers. Exactly when the same philosophy no longer works for him past a certain age. I would find it extremely embarrassing. Yes he did well at Nice 70.3 in 2019 (but 70.3 racing is really close to Olympic in intensity and concept at the elite level), but he's basically accomplished little in long distance triathlon, and yet he thinks he can coach just because.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in the Brownlee coaching programme. Alistair is not coaching, lead coach is Mark Buckingham. The programme as based around principle both Alistair and Johnny have employed throughout their career but watered down to a level which can be followed by age groupers - I’m on the base phase at the moment and a typical week is 11hrs.
I’m the first two months I’ve dropped a few seconds from my CSS, and added 9W to my FTP. Perhaps I’m just benefiting from structure and accountability but I’m happy.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [MP1664] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing he's not coaching.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [illtakeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
illtakeone wrote:
He needs a coach that is going to hold him back a little. This poor lad is injured at every turn. This is his first race of the season and already he has a sore hip, he’s never going to make it to Nice.

I am not an AB fan but I think this is probably one of the more intelligent decisions he has made.

He is fit but got a niggle which could become a long term injury if he runs a marathon on it. There are a lot of races he can qualify at and it doesn’t have to be this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
illtakeone wrote:

I am not an AB fan but I think this is probably one of the more intelligent decisions he has made.

He is fit but got a niggle which could become a long term injury if he runs a marathon on it. There are a lot of races he can qualify at and it doesn’t have to be this weekend.

Agree and it will be very interesting to have AB fully fit for the rest of the season and he can cause some damage at the front end of the race

He said he wanted to qualify early for Nice so that he can focus on PTO races etc. Next opportunity probably IM Texas which is not too far away from PTO Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he decides to show up in Oceanside

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also not a massive fan; also think this is a smart decision. Exactly as you say - to get to Nice in one piece (no rhyme intended), as an injury-prone individual you have to be cautious. This is Brownlee being cautious.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'I’ve decided not to start IRONMAN South Africa this weekend. My preparation has gone well and I’ve enjoyed training for the early season goal. Unfortunately, I’ve developed a slightly sore hip over the last few days. So, as hard as it is for me to exercise caution and, as it’s only March, I think it’s best not to risk it.

I have considered starting. I’m fit and love to race. But, I’m not very good at stopping once that gun goes and running a marathon is never something to be taken lightly. I’ll have a few days enjoying South Africa and then will get back into training for another race. Good luck to everyone competing in Port Elizabeth and thank you for all the support.'

- Alistair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massive shame this, He's been posting a LOT of run vids on his socials and appeared from that he may well have been as run fit as He's been in a long time, maybe a couple of years ago he'd have still raced on the injury and we now have a more cautious Ali.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Massive shame this, He's been posting a LOT of run vids on his socials and appeared from that he may well have been as run fit as He's been in a long time, maybe a couple of years ago he'd have still raced on the injury and we now have a more cautious Ali.

was thinking the exact same.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't tell me he is out for Hamburg?! 😳
Quote Reply

Prev Next